Star Wars Goes Philosophical and French in Depressing Reimagining

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Star Wars Goes Philosophical and French in Depressing Reimagining

The battle against the Empire pales in comparison to the battle against the despair of the living.

It's often been said that, as good as it was, the sci-fi classic Star Wars would have been immeasurably improved if it had been a platform for popularizing the existential views of French philosopher, Jean-Paul Sartre.

Ok, perhaps "often" is too strong a word - "rarely," or maybe "never," would be more appropriate - but that hasn't stopped a group of sci-fi fans from mashing the two together in a short, depressing montage.

YouTube film makers, "One Minute Galactica" have taken some of Star Wars' pivotal scenes and replaced the original dialogue with French. Don't worry if you don't speak French though, because not only have they handily subtitled everything to make it easier to understand, the dialog is actually just nonsense and bears no relation to what the subtitles say. In the video's description, they say that nearly every subtitle is a direct quote from Sartre's work; the only exceptions are the very short utterances, like "I die," or "despair."

It's a hilarious juxtaposition, which is really quite the achievement when you consider how bleak the philosophy is. There's even the small chance it could be educational, although if you start to find existentialism appealing, it might be time to go and buy a puppy, or look at a rainbow, or something similarly uplifting.

Source: Nerdist

That is... So depressing!

Thank you for giving me a reason to add "The French" to my Hate-List...

Ill be off... Somewhere dark... Cutting my self...

I can't say I EVER really agreed with existentialism (in fact I find most existentialists I know to be annoying self-assured tossers, but thats neither here nor there), but this is completely awesome. The parts where Luke looks on cluelessly as Obi-Wan talks to him were especially hilarious.

Acting is a question of absorbing other people's personalities and adding some of your own experience.

Fitting.

Don't worry if you don't speak French though, because not only have they handily subtitled everything to make it easier to understand, the dialog is actually just nonsense and bears no relation to what the subtitles say.

The dialogue is actually just French dubbing of the original. Though the voice actors are so stilted and horrible that I hope it's not the same version that was actually inflicted on French sci-fi fans in the 70s.

Well all I can say is: It exists, and I find it nauseating.

Naw, It was actually pretty funny with the juxtaposition. That bit at the end where Vader essentially just says 'fuck it' and flies away.

HankMan:
Well all I can say is: It exists, and I find it nauseating.

Naw, It was actually pretty funny with the juxtaposition

Despair!

OT: Is it just me or did it all seem so out of context that to managed to reenter context by another door?

Life begins at the other side of despair

and

One lives one's death
One dies one's life

are actually quite uplifting quotes.

That started off pretty good and just got better and better- I loved the bit where the control room guy tells the pilots 'One lives one's death. One dies one's life' and Luke's just going 'whaaa?'

One wonders what Mrs. Premise and Mrs. Conclusion would think.

"Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, I exist and that nauseates me." XD Ah, memories of when I read Sartre's "Nausea" story for philosophy class...

NihilCredo:
The dialogue is actually just French dubbing of the original. Though the voice actors are so stilted and horrible that I hope it's not the same version that was actually inflicted on French sci-fi fans in the 70s.

Ah, but yes it is. Everyone here knows who Dark Vador is. Please do pronounce it with the appropriate accent. (I swear that's how they actually spell it)

Oddly enough I really enjoyed that video.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Made me think about Absurdism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absurdism

That was hilarious!

NihilCredo:

Don't worry if you don't speak French though, because not only have they handily subtitled everything to make it easier to understand, the dialog is actually just nonsense and bears no relation to what the subtitles say.

Damn ninjas!

Having an experience with french dubbed material, It wouldn't suprise me if it was that version of the dubbing that they used in the 70s.

Wonderful video! I hope they'll make more stuff like this.

matrix3509:
I can't say I EVER really agreed with existentialism (in fact I find most existentialists I know to be annoying self-assured tossers, but thats neither here nor there), but this is completely awesome. The parts where Luke looks on cluelessly as Obi-Wan talks to him were especially hilarious.

Why do you not agree that we exist because we think?

Do you not see reason, or is it just the personalities of many existentialists you do not like?

Kiltguy:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Made me think about Absurdism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absurdism

That would be Episode Four: Upbuilding Discourses.
Face the facts of being what you are, for that is what changes what you are.
Beedle beep?
Be that self which one truly is!
Beep?
I don't like you either

Random Argument Man:

NihilCredo:

Damn ninjas!

Having an experience with french dubbed material, It wouldn't suprise me if it was that version of the dubbing that they used in the 70s.

Better than Russian dubbing, at least.

Also: Existentialism doesn't have to be depressing... it can be a tremendously liberating philosophy.

Friedrich Nietzsche would be proud.
I'm sure we could make several comparisons between both Nietzsche and Sartre, specifically through their views of why we exist and the hardships we endure during the course of our, perhaps, "futile" existence.

Seemed to fall apart a bit near the end.

Much like life.

Speaking French kind of ruins the experience, since the dub is actually the original French dub (and doesn't match the subtitles - at all).

thylasos:

Random Argument Man:

NihilCredo:

Damn ninjas!

Better than Russian dubbing, at least.

Mmmmm I'd have to listen to that. I can safely say though that I had a 0.000000001% enjoyment of a french dubbed material.

It's a bit distracting when you understand french and understand the dub which the subtitles completely ignore, but nevertheless, worth a watch.

Kair:

matrix3509:

Why do you not agree that we exist because we think?

Do you not see reason, or is it just the personalities of many existentialists you do not like?

In an effort to avoid derailing the thread, I'll avoid getting into an obtuse philosophical discussion (yet again). Besides, unless your avatar is ironic, I have a feeling it would be like trying to talk to a wall for the both of us.

To answer your second question, yes the personalities of most of the existentialists I know (a whopping three) leave something to be desired, and I'll be the first to admit they may have colored my opinion of it. Though I do find it rather odd how people with extensive knowledge of their chosen philosophy just love to rattle on and on about said philosophy.

Star Wars goes French?

Han Surrendered first.

It may be depressing, but it fits so well it ceases to be depressing and is just plain funny.

Random Argument Man:

Mmmmm I'd have to listen to that. I can safely say though that I had a 0.000000001% enjoyment of a french dubbed material.

If you haven't already seen this, I suggest you give it a look-see:

http://winterson.com/2005/06/episode-iii-backstroke-of-west.html

Kenami:
Oddly enough I really enjoyed that video.

Same.

And the "bleak" view of existence is actually enormously comforting to me.

Although the JP sartre stuff is mildly depressing (I studied him last semester), I think the worst bit is hearing the french voice actors do star wars lines...

Darth vader sounds like....like...like.....Well, the worst voice actor in recent memory. >_< He doesn't sound evil at all!

That was hilarious. It fitted very well to Star Wars. The environments are pretty stark.

And they already have Yoda spouting out philosophies on life. Why not everyone else?

It also reminded me a bit of a random ninja/kung-fu film I saw once where they started talking about why we exists/for what purpose etc.

DazBurger:
That is... So depressing!

Thank you for giving me a reason to add "The French" to my Hate-List...

Ill be off... Somewhere dark... Cutting my self...

Don't add the French as a whole, just add Satre, no one will care. In fact, one of my favourite authors advised to use The Age of Reason, one of Satre's plays as a hollowed-out book for hiding your stash because no one will ever look there.

matrix3509:
I can't say I EVER really agreed with existentialism (in fact I find most existentialists I know to be annoying self-assured tossers, but thats neither here nor there).......

Haha, you make it sound like Existentialists are dogmatic, elitist tossers hiding out in their treehouse. If that, by any chance were true I'd be pretty fucking confused. I don't think I've met anyone who's confessed to being "an existentialist". It's a philosophy, not a lifestyle. Nihilism on the other hand......

OT: Why are people saying this is sad? I couldn't take it very seriously. Darth Vader: "I die?"

GrizzlerBorno:

matrix3509:
I can't say I EVER really agreed with existentialism (in fact I find most existentialists I know to be annoying self-assured tossers, but thats neither here nor there).......

Haha, you make it sound like Existentialists are dogmatic, elitist tossers hiding out in their treehouse. If that, by any chance were true I'd be pretty fucking confused. I don't think I've met anyone who's confessed to being "an existentialist". It's a philosophy, not a lifestyle. Nihilism on the other hand......

OT: Why are people saying this is sad? I couldn't take it very seriously. Darth Vader: "I die?"

If I made it sound that way I apologize, I happen to know several people (lets call them philosophy majors) who like to wear their personal philosophy on their sleeve as it were. Maybe it the environment of academia that makes them act that way?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here