Dog-Fighting Game Pulled from Android Market

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Dog-Fighting Game Pulled from Android Market

A game where players raise dogs to fight other dogs in illegal dog-fighting rings has been given the boot from Android Market after people (appropriately) complained.

When it comes to the issue of dog-fighting (and not the cool kind with fighter planes over WW2-era Britain) I find myself solidly in the same camp as MovieBob: It's a heinous act and those who engage in it should be punished with the full force of the law.

Naturally, there are always going to be some amoral jerks who look at the practice of forcing dogs to brutally murder each other and say, "Hey, that would make a cool game." Such was the case with Dog Wars, a mobile game on Android where players raised their dogs to fight other dogs. Apparently, it was pretty much just a poor Mafia Wars clone, so the developers can't even say it was an original idea.

There may still be a little hope left in humanity yet: Said game has been pulled from the Android Marketplace after gamers, the Humane Society, actress Alicia Silverstone, and NFL player Michael Vick all called for its removal. Vick, as you may know, went to jail over real-life dogfighting, which makes his actions either ironic, hypocritical, or all the more genuine depending on how you look at it.

"I've come to learn the hard way that dogfighting is a dead-end street," said Vick. "Now, I am on the right side of this issue, and I think it's important to send the smart message to kids, and not glorify this form of animal cruelty, even in an Android app."

According to All Things Digital, the creators of Dog Wars said that the same free speech that enabled others to criticize the game also protected the game's existence. Of course, while free speech is a legal right in the USA meaning that the government couldn't do anything about the app, Google is a private entity that has the right to control its own services however it damn pleases, so crying "free speech" here is about as legitimate a defense as tissue paper is legitimate body armor.

The most popular mobile game may involve flinging birds at castles, but until Angry Birds becomes a real-life problem I don't think we have to worry about that.

(Via Destructoid)

No.

Just no.

Yeah free speech is great but that game...

No.

Agent Larkin:
No.

Just no.

No.

Yea free speech should only be allowed if its nice and we like it!

Tissue paper isn't legitimate body armor? Fuck... Thanks for crushing my hopes and dreams John... Hopes and Dreams

All Things Digital was barking up the wrong tree.

Dont they screen the games before they put them on sale? This one seems like it should have tripped a few flags.

While I agree with John and Bob concerning dogfighting - I can't help but wonder if there would have been as much of an outcry over a "Baby Fighter."

"The most popular mobile game may involve flinging birds at castles, but until Angry Birds becomes a real-life problem I don't think we have to worry about that."

I know! It would be like if a game came out where you could murder people and steal their cars and... wait...

I don't really see the big deal.

Dogs fighting. There's a lot of stuff much worse out there.

Disregarding that Google can do whatever they want with their stores.
And that dog fighting is amoral as fuck.

You cannot ignore free speech because you donīt like what people has to say.
Free speech is an absolute, it is either there, or it isnīt.

Screw this dogfighting game! Now if you'll excuse me, I have some Pokemon to train.

FutureJarhead16:

Agent Larkin:
No.

Just no.

No.

Missing the point. Free speech is a legal right, meaning you can stand and shout what you want on a city street corner and the government cannot arrest you or silence you. But when it comes to private entities like Google, they have the right to police their own services and networks however they damn well please. Free speech has nothing to do with it, and claiming that it does shows a gross misunderstanding of the term and of one's own personal rights.

HankMan:
All Thing Digital was barking up the wrong tree.

The ruling was a bit ruff. They've marked new territory in apps though, and it's setter bad example.

Killing people - All right ! Killing Dogs - No way.

It's political correctness gone mad!

Seriously though, fuck this game, and anyone who thinks that's a good idea. Stick to pokemon you animal abusers!

Kinda bad idea for a game anyhow

This game should be put back on the market.
In Pokemon I can fight all animals I want. In Manhunt you can stalk and violently murder people to death with primitive weapons like palstic bags and shards of glass.

Why does this Dog game matter? You can't use any argument against it you couldn't against any other game. It allows you to simulate doing illegal things? Cruel things? Immoral things? Need I list you the amount of games that allow this?

In New Vegas I could fight Rad Scorpions in a ring; why is this game any different?

So Pokemon is okay but this isn't?

O_o

I am confused.

The_root_of_all_evil:

HankMan:
All Thing Digital was barking up the wrong tree.

The ruling was a bit ruff. They've marked new territory in apps though, and it's setter bad example.

All that howling about free speech didn't do them a lick of good, hopefully it will give other developers paws.

(1) This game is not real life
(2) Surely it's worse to have a game about killing people?

(3) murder is a real life problem, particularly shooting sprees:

This action by Google IS censorship. It's not government censorship but like the Hays Code in the bad days of American cinema it does against the spirit of the 1st Amendment and de-facto defies it.

Just going by the concept without any knowledge of the actual gameplay... boo freaking hoo. Complaining about this is just plain silly. It's not like I don't spend my evenings murdering fake humans in my FPS games. It's not like millions of young kids aren't capturing, training, and fighting fake animals in their Pokemon games. It's not like millions of people don't slaughter billions of fake critters in MMOs...

Sure, in real life it's a terrible terrible act... but so is murder of humans. Morals don't really transfer over to video games so well.

We're gamers... We play games where you kill people all the time. For fuck sake, Mortal Kombat came out last week. This morning I literally cut a person in two.

Also, wouldn't a dogfighting game just be Pokemon but less colourful?

Honestly, I think by drawing the line at this we're giving credence to all the Jack Thompsons of the world. Any argument you use against this is going to be an argument we're sick of the anti-videogame people bringing up.

HankMan:
All Thing Digitals was barking up the wrong tree.

Aaah, the puns. So many...

Seriously, is it just me or are you the pun-master of the Escapist (in a good way, of course)?
Almost every news post i go to, you're there, making quite nifty puns.
And that's pretty awesome. You've got quite the mind to be able to think so many of them.

OT: Not the best idea for a game, IMO. Wouldn't play it myself.

This is awful. I mean The Escapist wouldn't be caught dead making a game about dogs violently killing eachother! *cough*

I don't approve of this game and I fully support Android's descision to remove it. It's their prerogative.

tanis1lionheart:

O_o

I am confused.

My thought exactly. How the fuck is this any different from Pokemon?

"A game where players raise dogs to fight other dogs in illegal dog-fighting rings has been given the boot from Android Market after people (appropriately) complained.

When it comes to the issue of dog-fighting (and not the cool kind with fighter planes over WW2-era Britain) I find myself solidly in the same camp as MovieBob: It's a heinous act and those who engage in it should be punished with the full force of the law."

What? You're bloody Americans! I'm supposed to be telling you how free speech works best when its not totally free.

Anyway, despite that, you are wrong in this case. I accidentally (well, 'accidentally') shot a hostage in ARMA 2 today, in Mafia 2 yesterday I shot a security guard for some fuel stamps, in EVE the other month I helped steal another player's property, in GTA I shot a granny for the lulz, in Hitman: Blood Money I assassinated several people who, bad as they may be, should have been arrested and put on trial.

"Naturally, there are always going to be some amoral jerks who look at the practice of forcing dogs to brutally murder each other and say, "Hey, that would make a cool game.""

MOST GAMES ARE A VERY MINOR VARIATION ON THIS.

If it was two people being forced into fighting to the death in a crappy little flash game you wouldn't blink an eyelid.

"Such was the case with Dog Wars, a mobile game on Android where players raised their dogs to fight other dogs."

But if you call it "Pokemon" and give the animals some silly names, its all swell? My mind has just exploded from the hypocrisy in this, which is not good for my revising.

I'm against dog fights in real life, but it doesn't make sense that this game is banned, but a game like GTA isn't.

It's not like you can't still install the game on your phone as long as it's available somewhere on the 'net (this isn't the iPhone people).

SaneAmongInsane:

tanis1lionheart:

O_o

I am confused.

My thought exactly. How the fuck is this any different from Pokemon?

Its not. But Nintendo can afford to not give a flying shit about what Humane Society things. I guess !

Owlslayer:

HankMan:
All Thing Digitals was barking up the wrong tree.

Aaah, the puns. So many...

Seriously, is it just me or are you the pun-master of the Escapist (in a good way, of course)?
Almost every news post i go to, you're there, making quite nifty puns.
And that's pretty awesome. You've got quite the mind to be able to think so many of them.

The hardest thing about being a comic is not really making up the jokes, it's finding the material to put into them. That's why I go to the news to make my puns: You never run out subjects to use.
Needless to say I'm a little surprised that out all the hundreds (probably thousands) of people who come here, I'm the only that's really into it.

Looks like the powers-that-be still have Vick on a chain. 'Yeah, I'm totally, umm against this, I guess, I don't know.'

FutureJarhead16:

Agent Larkin:
No.

Just no.

No.

Well.. The Android market is run by a company, which are fully entitled to remove anything from THEIR marked-place that they find offensive.

So yeah! Free speech is great!.. But expect to be ignored If you piss of too many people.

Dana22:
Killing people - All right ! Killing Dogs - No way.

Yeah, get back to making games about humans brutally murdering each other like a HEALTHY NORMAL PERSON.

After reading this post and the comments following I feel like I'm in an insane asylum. Where are peoples priorities?

Owlslayer:

That sounds like fighting talk. There can be only pun.

I'm willing to bet that you could release a cockfighting game on the app market and no one would care. And that's not even counting the fact that a large portion of today's gaming industry revolves around people killing people. There's just something about dogs. I mean, I think the idea is in poor taste (especially since whoever made it was probably well aware that it would piss people off), BUT I think it should be allowed, because I believe in freedom of speech. Pulling this particular game simply for being distasteful seems dictatorial, unless the AppMarket has documented standards that this game failed to follow.

By the way, thanks to everyone in this thread for not throwing fuel into the let's-hate-Michael-Vick fire. As an Eagles fan, you can imagine I'm a little sick of hearing about that.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here