Notch Reveals Charming Map System for Minecraft

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Notch Reveals Charming Map System for Minecraft

Notch is working on a colorful new map system for Minecraft version 1.6.

Minecraft was recently updated to version 1.5, adding weather, achievements, rails, and stat tracking, but creator Markus "Notch" Persson is already hard at work on version 1.6. While he calls 1.6 "mostly a bug fix update," it will add a map system, which Persson has revealed the first details and screenshots for.

Players will craft maps at a certain zoom level that are centered at the location of their creation. As players move around, the map will fill in. Each map will only represent a certain area depending on where players are in the world, so we'll only be able to create maps of the entire world if the zoom level allows for it.

Maps are items that can be dropped and picked up by other players, who can also view them. Notch says there'll be a map linking system so that multiple players can fill out the same map and see where each other are. If the world is changed, as Minecraft worlds tend to be, players will have to visit the changed location to update the map.

It sounds like Notch is still working out the map system's kinks and figuring out its final feature set. Interestingly, he adds that the code written for it will probably be reused later for player-created books, notes, or even paintings. The map system will be the only new feature in 1.6, so other interesting additions such as these may have to wait until 1.7 or beyond.

The maps certainly are charming! Especially that center one.

Let's see how this turns out. Once 1.6 comes out, maybe I can finally find my way back home... -_-

Nice addition. This will make things more fun.

Kudos to the developer to. I guess he is taking things up a Notch

Just add in a telescope and I'll be able to feel like a proper adventurer!

Just what I need. I always get lost...and eaten.

The middle one looks like a dick.

.....This gets my approval.

Hmm. Well it certainly helps avoid getting lost. I'm rather neutral about the change as of now. My opinion might change later though.

That Guy Who Phails:

Thank god I thought I was the only one who saw that at least don't have to go ans see a shrink now.

This looks like it would be a great addition to Minecraft.

Definitely would be useful if you can use them to view your current location while lost somewhere underground or building tunnels for a set area, but can't keep your barings topside.

... It's not like he broke cartographer completely with that saving change update.

Wonder how maps in the nether work.

Finally! I don't care if this won't be in until 1.9, I just want some bloody map in the bloody game. Really, that's the one essential feature the game lacked, and it took this long?

Player created books eh? I could make a minecraft diary.

Day 7: Built a wall. Creepers blew it up. Damn creepers...

HerbertTheHamster:
... It's not like he broke cartographer completely with that saving change update.

Not well I hear. The cartography has really gone to hell.

OT: Is it just me, or does he seem to be faster with these patches now.

I'd love to have a map for the cave systems I find.

CM156:

HerbertTheHamster:

OTL Is it just me, or does he seem to be faster with these patches now.

It's his team that makes most of them. He just gets all the credit and cash.

Finally, something usefull and cool. The last few updates were very poor with stuff that didnt matter all that much, but this one is cool because now it is possible to travel without the fear of not coming back (Yeah, we had the compass already but its not the same thing)

A map? Excellent, now I can venture out and not get lost- but also find out where snow is, the ocean, and where my home's mainly located. Problem is, not sure what makes a map and would suck if I died so then I lose the map I worked on exploring places. They should add also where creatures are at, I want to find more wolves :)

This is SO needed! I get lost all the time.
Can't wait!

DrunkDonut:

That Guy Who Phails:

Thank god I thought I was the only one who saw that at least don't have to go ans see a shrink now.

What are you talking about I don't see anythi... oh, oooh. Damn it notch, stop being so likeable.

I read that blog, and Notch says that the map will only update if you have it in your hands. Also, it will be faced down when you have it selected, so if you are looking straight ahead the map won't take up the whole screen (and you will have to look down in order to see it)

He should really fix the retarded Diablo style inventory instead

Mahorfeus:
Let's see how this turns out. Once 1.6 comes out, maybe I can finally find my way back home... -_-

This =|
The idea of being able to explore all of my map is really cool though :D

Robot Overlord:
He should really fix the retarded Diablo style inventory instead

It could be worse man, it could be more like diablo and have several space objects, it would drive OC to a new level, tho i would like a belt-like quick bar to quickly get the next stack of blocks or new weapon when the last finish or breaks.

HerbertTheHamster:

CM156:

HerbertTheHamster:

He is working alone on the game at the moment, remember before when he worked alone? awesome secret friday patches that always added something fun.

OT; Finally I don't have to make a new map in cartographG whenever I want to explore new areas. As long as my pistons come with 1.6 I'm a happy camper(even if it takes long to get 1.6 out). Also something you forgot to mention in the article is that he is working on making them able to attach to wall and such. So you could stick them to your wall at home and go on an adventure and when you come back the map have updated the area you visited(What I understood from the tweet).

Also I hope he makes some kind of map that can map out tunnels and such, I want a city map over the underground city on the multiplayer server I'm playing at ._.

DrunkDonut:

That Guy Who Phails:

Thank god I thought I was the only one who saw that at least don't have to go and see a shrink now.

oh god I'm the opposite, I didn't see it before, now I have and need to go see a shrink...

OT: Yeah, this looks like a great feature to play around with. Also I am glad that 1.6 will also mostly be about fixing bugs and glitches.

HerbertTheHamster:

CM156:

HerbertTheHamster:

Are you suggesting that Notch doesn't pay the employees at his company?

HerbertTheHamster:

It'll be blank but you'll see flickers or something. If you keep it open long enough.... SSSSSSSSSS! Creeper jump scare.

This sounds cool. It gets my thumbs up.

Good 'ol Notch. Everything he touches regarding Minecraft turns to gold, I doubt this will be different.

Looks nice :)
Though I start to dislike all these updates so fast.

I can't even play a nice game with my mods before it updates and I am modless again :(

I like how this is set up, where the map is really a tangible part of the game instead of just a UI device. Keep in mind though that the map is rather low-res, pretty much useful for keeping track of basic landmarks and environments. For better detail you should still be able to use Cartograph G, linked below.
This is the only mentioned new item coming with 1.6. The rest of the patch will be long overdue bug fixes.

Jonci:
Definitely would be useful if you can use them to view your current location while lost somewhere underground or building tunnels for a set area, but can't keep your barings topside.

Notch mentioned adding in the feature for cave mapping as well, though that will be a bit down the road.

XxRyanxX:
A map? Excellent, now I can venture out and not get lost- but also find out where snow is, the ocean, and where my home's mainly located. Problem is, not sure what makes a map and would suck if I died so then I lose the map I worked on exploring places. They should add also where creatures are at, I want to find more wolves :)

Since mobs are random spawns, that is not something practical. Wolves do seem to like trees whenever I see them so keeping an eye on forest biomes would be a good start.

HerbertTheHamster:

I would imagine they won't, but we could be in for a surprise. It may not be useful anyway as the Nether on map would be just like some artist's rendition of the colors orange and maroon. And he didn't break Cartographer. The person who created that program seems to have just up and disappeared quite some time before 1.3 came out with the new and better file system. Check out Cartograph G to see how it has been carried on into the new versions.

CM156:
Nice addition. This will make things more fun.

Kudos to the developer to. I guess he is taking things up a Notch

That was a REALLY subtle pun. I would have given you a cookie, but I ate all of them a few days ago.

Captain Pancake:
Player created books eh? I could make a minecraft diary.

Day 7: Built a wall. Creepers blew it up. Damn creepers...

Day 8: A creeper blew up my journal...

OT: I saw this on Notch's blog yesterday. I'll most likely use this a lot.

Alright.

Though it does kinda render the compass useless.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here