One-Fifth of PS3 Owners Are Eyeing the Exit

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 16 NEXT

Well, not really something that makes me consider replacing my PS3. At least not based on the current info.

...though I might replace my credit card just in case.

Haters gonna hate and fanboys gonna be ignorant. That's the law of the land.

ZeroMachine:
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the biggest video-game related fuck-up catastrophe ever?

not quite, there was the game industry crash of 1983, which had the Atari game ET be part of the cause. even back then to have a single game be part of the industry crash must of been a big fuck up.

also they say that the game was so poor at selling that they burried thousands of the unmoved stock in the Nevada desert, would like to go searching for that some day. :D

I'm betting they were already going to switch. Heck, PSN has been down for over a week and I'm still enjoying my PS3 just as much thanks to a thing called Single-Player that apparently many gamers are not familiar with.

I actually feel bad for Sony. May buy their next console out of pity (jk, I'll buy it because it will probably be awesome).

F-I-D-O:
snip

XD

I agree with the points you've made, and that picture and caption is awesome!

Your post made my day, thanks for that! ^^

AC10:
Jump on to PC instead!
You know you want to ;)

Makes sense to me. I figure what was said in Extra Credit will eventually come true and games won't be made console-exclusive so we won't have to make these choices...

Eh, i'm not in that camp. Remember when we used to rely on good single player experiences instead of online play that will die a few years past the game's release? I liked those days better.

Anyway, PS3 is still the better console for me, don't really care much about the PSN fiasco. I'm sure all the CoD addicts out there are pissed though.

And 90% of those who say they are switching are having a knee jerk reaction and either will not switch or will immediately regret it. The thing that is truly worrying is if this will lead to Sony saying screw it and getting out of the console market. That will lead to Nintendo taking the casual gamers and Microsoft getting everyone else either through PC or Xbox. Such a world is not one I want to live in! (Please note, I realize this is a long shot I'm just saying it would be bad for the industry if it did happen.)

Sorry, fiend. My PC throne has not been affected

Sinister asshole approach aside, I don't plane PS3 users, however Sony are definetly trying and I do have faith in them.
I want to try Portal 2 with my PS3 friend, though.

Easton Dark:
I'm betting they were already going to switch. Heck, PSN has been down for over a week and I'm still enjoying my PS3 just as much thanks to a thing called Single-Player that apparently many gamers are not familiar with.

I don't get how so many gamers seem to be completely handicapped from gaming once their connection or a server gets down. C'mon people, there are so many awesome single player centric games and modes out there, especially in the PS3 exclusives, have fun!

Obviously Microsoft hacked them.

That sucks. Don't worry Sony, I'll stay with you!

Well, i can't blame richer folk for switching, if that's what they want. Though i think that after this, Sony will be making some upgrades to its' security.

Also, i don't understand why people are pointing fingers at GeoHotz or Anon. I don't want to take sides, but come on, Geo hasn't got anything to do with this stuff (at least, no evidence yet, yes?), and i seriously doubt Anon would be able or willing to do this shit. Not their style. Of course, SOME PART of Anon could do this...who knows.
Who knows...
Anyways, sucks to be Sony right now. Hope it'll get back on it's feet asap.
And i totally took a side, didn't i ? Yeah, i suck...

Sinclose:

Easton Dark:

I don't get how so many gamers seem to be completely handicapped from gaming once their connection or a server gets down. C'mon people, there are so many awesome single player centric games and modes out there, especially in the PS3 exclusives, have fun!

Not to mention most gamers have at least one more system. In the very least they have a handheld. Personally, I've been putting some time into Final Fantasy IV. It helps that I threw my back out and being able to play laying down is nice but still.

Sinclose:

Easton Dark:

Well, if you look in the box where it says Most commented you will find an article about what happened to private info in the process. All of it stolen? Yeah, losing multiplayer might not be a big deal to all of them, losing your money to a hacker is more serious.

emeraldrafael:
[quote="randomrob" post="7.280425.10959301"]I'm sticking with my Ps3 because I still think its the superior console and that isn't changed because some douchebag hackers compromised PSN.

Disclaimer: The above is my OPINION so if you disagree, please feel free to not tell me all about it.

I shall quote this also. There isn't a single game on Xbox I have interest in playing that I have not already got my satisfaction from or can't do on my PS3, not one.

This PSN downtime has mostly been a great excuse to jump into my backlog of PS2 games anyway. No internet required for anything, no trophies, no multiplayer, just good wholesome fun.

As someone who has actually made the reverse switch, I won't be one of those people. Plus I'd have to buy a new console for it, something there isn't much financial room for now that I take driving lessons. I will however change my PSN password. Can't be too careful.

Oh who am I kidding, I want my 360 back so I can play Halo: Reach. And Gears of War 3. Why did you have to die!!!

Maybe if the 360 didn't have "exclusively" multi-platform games, and if I didn't already put up with 4 RROD's I might consider switching but hell no, my PS3 has had more entertaining games in the 1 years I have owned it than in the total 5 years I've went though all those 360's.

Definitely NOT switching, but I will be a hell of a lot less trusting of Sony's information "protection". Credit cards are right out, I'll have to use those shitty little prepaid cards from now on.

Just look at the list of games coming out this year, that alone is worth enough to stick it out with Sony. How could I say no to the hilarity and silliness that is Disgaea 4?

Wolfram01:
Time to step up to PC gaming, friends.

Yeah, cause sensitive data never gets stolen on the PC.

You cannot turn this into a pro-PC thing.

Anyway, I still doubt this would actually happen. Years past, maybe. Now? No. 360 has gone casual, and is getting fuck all else but Gears 3. By the time Twisted Metal rolls out, the idea of switching from the Ps3 would be laughable.

I havent bought a game for the ps3 in quite some time Ive only got 20 games for my ps3 and 82 for my 360.

I was going to get infamous 2 (ps3 exclusive and the only exclusive Im fully interested in) but I dont want sony to get my money right now after all this ... maybe preowned (sorry sucker punch T_T)

and I was giving serious thought to buying RAGE for the ps3 due to all Ive heard about how it will be much better due to the short coming of the 360. Im re considering ... so its either 360 or wiat for preowned(SORRY id T_T).

not sure what to do I would like the developers of those games to get my money but not sony they really dont deserve it right now not unless they REALLY make up for it between now and the release of those games but I doubt it.

Celtic_Kerr:
Why? WHY!? They're working to get it up,they fucked up, so what? If it happened to microsoft what would happen?

The exact same thing. People would be outraged, lose their faith in Microsoft, file a class action, and consider switching to something else for their gaming needs. Is it an overreaction? Possibly, but an understandable one.

randomrob:
I'm sticking with my Ps3 because I still think its the superior console and that isn't changed because some douchebag hackers compromised PSN.

Disclaimer: The above is my OPINION so if you disagree, please feel free to not tell me all about it.

I feel the same. It doesnt say much for (a fifth of PS3) American gamers if they decide to throw a huff because they cant play BlOps online for a couple of days.

Yopaz:

Sinclose:

Easton Dark:

Well, if you look in the box where it says Most commented you will find an article about what happened to private info in the process. All of it stolen? Yeah, losing multiplayer might not be a big deal to all of them, losing your money to a hacker is more serious.

I agree completely. However my comment was directed at the many, many users who are basically complaining that 'they can't play anything as long as PSN is down bring it back sony plz :('

I understand the concerns about personal info being compromised, I'm not blaming the people worrying about that, I'm talking about the account holders who care more about having something to play than anything else concerning the situation at the moment.

If anything I'll switch to PC gaming, but never the 360, but I won't do neither cause games I play are only on PS3, and PC gaming is expensive. And I'm not rich

I have both consoles and after favouring the 360 for a while I have started to like playing my PS3 more and this fuck up won't change my mind, being able to play Portal 2 with my friends who have bought it on the PC is helping :P

I can understand and I feel sorry for ps3 owners, especially for people who lost a lot of data. The PS3 has just been a mountain of problems for Sony and it will be interesting if they intend to create another console or if this will be their last

Jodah:
snip

Personally when I get bored of 'mainstream' PC games for a while I just turn to freeware indie titles or even free flash games. There are so many awesome free games out there that can run even on old PCs that I never fail to find some game to have a blast with, no matter what!

That or I could just read a book, but even that I tend to do from a screen now thanks to online stores >_>

I think I'd be a lot more pissed if netflix stopped working, but it still does so as someone who rarely mutliplayers, I am really not affected. New card in the mail, change a password or 3. Whatever.

If you own a computer you should be careful of identity theft. This is just a reminder.

And when Microsoft also gets a security breach like that, will everyone consider switching to PC gaming? Yay.

BDNeon:
This PSN downtime has mostly been a great excuse to jump into my backlog of PS2 games anyway. No internet required for anything, no trophies, no multiplayer, just good wholesome fun.

This! I miss the days of no console networks to sign in on, its fire up the old PS2 and enjoy excellent single player action or get on the EA network and have fun with Burnout or get on Battlefront 2 and just have fun with CTF there.
*sighs* Good times...
Sometimes I think the internet both helped and destroyed our experience.

I haven't considered trading in for a 360, I do however have plans to get a 360 when I get the excess funds aside from current living (and the seas of time be rough, yar). So, I'm sticking with the PSN, gonna change my formation. Won't do anything with my card because its a debit card, when I want to make a purchase I just transfer the funds from savings into checking and hit buy.

Celtic_Kerr:

Xzi:
This was the end result. This was the people who already allowed themselves to be corralled into a concentration camp being slaughtered.

Did you just compare a network-outage and possible stolen information to a god damn concentration camp?!

As in there people are treated like shit, killed, tortured, starved, etc during a time of war?

Seriously?

Comparison =/= analogy. Besides, I wasn't citing any actual historical situation here, just running with a fictional one. Easily offended much?

Sinclose:

Yopaz:

Sinclose:

I agree completely. However my comment was directed at the many, many users who are basically complaining that 'they can't play anything as long as PSN is down bring it back sony plz :('

I understand the concerns about personal info being compromised, I'm not blaming the people worrying about that, I'm talking about the account holders who care more about having something to play than anything else concerning the situation at the moment.

In that case I have to agree with you 100%, I play mostly singleplayer, and mostly local multiplayer. Quitting because the multiplayer has had problems for a short period of time does seem stupid.

ZeroMachine:
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the biggest video-game related fuck-up catastrophe ever?

I kind of pity Sony. I feel like this might severely damages their chances at doing any good in future console races.

well as i said earlier, RROD was maybe equal, but that's up to the individual

I own a PS3, my Wife owns an Xbox 360, out children have a Wii, and I spent ~$4500 building this PC. If I had to choose a console (which I usually would not) it would be the PS3. It's more powerful, the media storage is better, it has better exclusives, and they don't try to extort money from me to use it online. I also don't store sensitive information on my consoles or PC so all that happened was I lost access to the online features of a console.

Also the Xbox 360 controller feels like a partially deflated beach ball, while the PS3 controller fits snugly in my hands.

Xbox has not gained a convert in me, but only until the next gen consoles come out, then we'll see. ( Not Really, I'm still a PC Gamer)

Edit: Also the Xbox Live interface feels like one of those annoyingly bloated flash websites whereas the PS3 interface is slim and efficient. I turn on my consoles to play games not to flip through 37 of their most annoying Ads before being forced to download a trailer for a romantic comedy before it'll allow me to play my game.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 16 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here