Hackers Offer PSN Credit Cards For Sale

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

I'm a little on the fence about the "buy back" on one hand it's generally not a good thing to give into criminals and there is no real guarantee that they'll keep their end of the bargain.

On the other hand, if I was one of the people with stolen personal information and credit card numbers I'd be screaming bloody murder, it's Sony's fault (to a large degree) and they need to bloody fix it. If corporations are going to keep that kind of information about us and dismiss our "silly privacy" concerns they damn well better protect it better then a nun's virginity.

Misho-:
Are debit cards at risk? I mean it's a silly question but I used a Debit Card, not a Credit card to purchase stuff. Well at any rate this made me feel real bad... I feel nausea now.

I use a debit card, but it's connected to a separate account from the one where I hold all my money. Basically, all I use the debit card for is the internet, and I never hold any more than about $200 in there at a time.

I'll still be getting a new card though.

I'm Skeptical as to the truth of this report, but still worried. I'm going to keep a close eye on my bank account and developments in this story.

Misho-:
Are debit cards at risk? I mean it's a silly question but I used a Debit Card, not a Credit card to purchase stuff. Well at any rate this made me feel real bad... I feel nausea now.

Yes it is. Block your card a soon as you can.

I saw this coming. I haven't gone as far to cancel my card yet 'cause I'd be surprised if they picked my paltry sum out of the millions and millions affected. I'll be checking my balance as soon as I can, though. Just in case.

VanityGirl:

Bags159:
The story on Kotaku made it sound like there's no actual proof that they actually have enough of your CC's info to do this. Has solid evidence come to light since then or is this more sensational reporting?

The bad thing is that once they have your number, it is actually quite is to get the other info for Credit Cards. If you track a users IP address (also easy) then you can find their address. If you have their address, you can use their credit cards...

That's how I would assume they could get all your info. Plus PSN makes in enter all you CC infor anyways, so they have all that.

they would have fun tracking my ip, i have tried multiple times but the closest place i could track my own ip was 600km away...im aussie so my internet's shit.

im just glad that i bought a ps2 instead of a ps3 (more games i want to play on ps2 than ps3 seeing as i have a 360 and a really good pc)

Celtic_Kerr:

I find it interesting how this fallout is also un-nerving and hitting XBOX users hard.

Not trusting SONY is one thing, but here and there, you see people losing trust in microsoft as well, just incase this happens again.

About 2-3 weeks ago I was very tempted to put my CC number on the PSN... Glad I didn't

I'm not sure whether it's about loosing trust in companys, it's more about becoming more aware of the risks of attatching your credit card details to accounts. I think one thing is that, although it happened to PSN this time round, it could have just as easily happened to Microsoft for all we know. It is entirely possible that Microsoft has a better security system in place, but I don't really want to take that risk.

Well, glad I only used the point cards from Walmart... at most, I'm out the $20 that was on my PSN account.

Popido:
"Underground hacker forum", lol.

I remember the days when that was code for /b/, but seeing as how anyone with rudimentary knowledge of google-fu can learn how to make a forum and then hide it fairly well from the normal internet userbase.

OT:
I dont have a "more awesome" face than the last one I posted, but seeing as how bad the situation is:

Wow, Sony goes and claims that the info isnt usable, then are proven wrong... again.

Well, one thing is for sure, IF Sony makes a new console, it will have nearly Nazi-era security systems on it.

Every ten minutes, "VERE ARE YOUR PAPERS!"

Dont even think about playing online, a Sony Lawyer will be present to enforce the EULA and TOS, and you have to pay for his room and essentials.

edit: this is why on my 360 I have a throw-away debit card on file. Cheaper than buying points/gold time from a store, if the information is ever stolen, just got to destroy the card since I only put on the card what I use.

Behold the joys of having aliases when making accounts!

Akihiko:

Celtic_Kerr:

I find it interesting how this fallout is also un-nerving and hitting XBOX users hard.

Not trusting SONY is one thing, but here and there, you see people losing trust in microsoft as well, just incase this happens again.

About 2-3 weeks ago I was very tempted to put my CC number on the PSN... Glad I didn't

I'm not sure whether it's about loosing trust in companys, it's more about becoming more aware of the risks of attatching your credit card details to accounts. I think one thing is that, although it happened to PSN this time round, it could have just as easily happened to Microsoft for all we know. It is entirely possible that Microsoft has a better security system in place, but I don't really want to take that risk.

Exactly what I've been saying old chap! I understand that SONY fucked up, but no one knows if SONY or Microsoft have better systems, and all we have now is a hacker claiming "bitches had no protection, and they even refused to buy the info back"

Andy Chalk:
there is no proof, however, that these charges are actually connected to the PSN breach.

Of course not, but why not throw this into the pile of speculation and horseshit? Obviously we don't need proof of any kind to make sound assumptions.

Popido:

Is it odd that I'm just imagining a bunch of people sitting in a subway station on their computers when I read that?

Better to err on the side of caution....

Get a new card, it's easy. If by some chance your bank wants to charge you for it, you need a new bank!

If you used a credit card on PSN before. Then went to your account info and cleared the billing info straight after, will Sony still have the data?

I don't know to much on the subject surely if they start spending money on flagged cards that are possibly stolen can the hackers not be caught from some kind of trace of where the purchase came from?

I'm not a PSN guy but if I was I'd already have any cards of which their details were on PSN cancelled it may be a hassle but isn't a little hassle to replace your card preferable to the hassle of losing all your money to a thief even if you don't think your at risk?

I have to wonder after all this will PSN still be free, I was going to buy a PS3 just before this to play PSN. But after the hack they may have to charge to play so they can afford a better security system. :/

Sober Thal:

Get a new card, it's easy. If by some chance your bank wants to charge you for it, you need a new bank!

hell, some banks in the US are charging around $5 per transaction on ATM's if you use a card that isnt with the bank.

Isnt it nice when you only need $20 but pay $4-5 for it?

but yea, check regularly on recent transactions and the second you see a test transaction [usually $1 or some small amount], cancel it and request a new one.

I would go ahead and assume the worst though and start working on seeing if my identity was stolen too, its one thing to have your current credit card stolen, its another to have three new cards made in your name that you don't know about.

Clantau:
If you used a credit card on PSN before. Then went to your account info and cleared the billing info straight after, will Sony still have the data?

Depends, did you put in the info then immediately delete it?

If so, maybe as a cache only, but chances are it was deleted when you yourself deleted it.

if you recently deleted it [April 20th-29th], then the info will still be on their Databases, since you weren't connected to the PSN, thus the info was deleted in face only.

either way though, I would keep an eye on your recent transactions just in case, better safe than sorry.

Complete Bull on the story, Sony never asked for your CVV (or CWV or whatever its called) so how could they have gotten them off the network

Sony are definately gonna suffer for this. They'll certainly lose customers fast.

Some will leave cause of loss of trust due to their bank accounts being endangered, some will leave from the sheer angert of not being able to play the gmes they purchased on PSN due to offline status (a feature that doesn;t effect xbox 360's) not to menton the estimated total 2.4 billion dollar lawsuits *in an earlier PSN hacker coverage report)

I think Sony is well and truely screwed.

Talens:
Complete Bull on the story, Sony never asked for your CVV (or CWV or whatever its called) so how could they have gotten them off the network

Unfortunately a security code is only 3 digits long. Anyone with the equipment to breach to the core files of PSN will have a program to guess a 3 digit number.

HankMan:
Someone needs to held a
No, No this not the place.

oh it is, it ALWAYS is!
gotta love it!

On topic: I warned my PS3 owning housemate as soon as I heard the PSN went down (i am paranoid sometimes), so he had a fair bit more warning than sony were able to provide, It just sickens me that this was allowed to happen in the first place.
It would be a simple case of just changing the credit card details for most, but what if, like me, you are out of civilization for weeks at a time sometimes? if I didn't call him my friend for example wouldn't have heard about it or been able to do a thing until he got back, which sucks quite frankly, I know it seems a tad over the top, but if you are at even the slightest risk of fraud from any company suffering a failure of some kind, they should probably have to get in touch with you and inform you of the details personally, even if it is just one of those robot calling systems that calls you up and says the message to you (and I hate those but this seems to be the better option), the logical answer is that it would cost way too much, however my counter is simply that it will probably cost less in the long run than paying off those pesky lawsuits that are going to be coming along, and many will, because regardless of your opinion on sony themselves, or even the level of responsibility they had in the crime taking place, their system facilitated it and that will probably be enough for some people to call for their heads on spikes, myself, I aren't fussed, I don't own a PS3 and I don't have much of an opinion on who is right or wrong with respect to the theoretical lawsuits and sony.

On a final note, if this is in any way to do with geohotz, I will renounce my support of the cause he shepherded, I haven't turned against him yet like most of the internet because I don't know just how complicit he was in these actions.
Also I REALLY REALLY hope anonymous has had nothing to do with this, if they have then this is way too far.

Kalezian:

Wow, Sony goes and claims that the info isnt usable, then are proven wrong... again.

Proven... by whom?

Here, let me give you an example.

* I HAVE STOLEN THE ACCOUNT INFO AND CC INFO OF EVERY AMAZON.COM CUSTOMER! IT WAS SO EASY! I WILL SELL THIS INFO TO THE HIGHEST BIDDER! *

By your standards, I have now "proven" that I got into Amazon's system and stole all their CC info.

Irregardless of whether this is actually true or not, I have to say something about these hackers in general...they are cowards. They are cowards because they can do things like steal people's identities without having the possibility of getting the shit beat out of them.

Kalezian:

Sober Thal:

hell, some banks in the US are charging around $5 per transaction on ATM's if you use a card that isnt with the bank.

Isnt it nice when you only need $20 but pay $4-5 for it?

but yea, check regularly on recent transactions and the second you see a test transaction [usually $1 or some small amount], cancel it and request a new one.

I would go ahead and assume the worst though and start working on seeing if my identity was stolen too, its one thing to have your current credit card stolen, its another to have three new cards made in your name that you don't know about.

Clantau:

Depends, did you put in the info then immediately delete it?

If so, maybe as a cache only, but chances are it was deleted when you yourself deleted it.

if you recently deleted it [April 20th-29th], then the info will still be on their Databases, since you weren't connected to the PSN, thus the info was deleted in face only.

either way though, I would keep an eye on your recent transactions just in case, better safe than sorry.

Last time I made a transaction to psn was over 2 months ago. I always delete the info straight after I do it. Just in case. And I'll keep an eye on it.
Knowing that Sony may not even have my Credit card data is a bit of a relief. But I still have to be carefull.
Thanks.

Celtic_Kerr:

Popido:

Is it odd that I'm just imagining a bunch of people sitting in a subway station on their computers when I read that?

Just made me think of a srs bsns 4 Chan.

Well, I'm cancelling my card.

tghm1801:
Uh oh...
I am so happy right now that I never used a credit card with my PSN. :|

Same here.

I just use the psn cards.

He also noted that Sony was "supposedly" offered a chance to buy back the information but refused, although Sony's Patrick Seybold denied that claim, saying, "To my knowledge there is no truth to the report that Sony was offered an opportunity to purchase the list."

Im finding this somewhat believable. Wouldnt it be cheaper and easier on Sony to just buy the information if the offer was given, than deal with the lawsuits and such? Course thats considering that if Sony did do that, the lawsuits would be dropped as the the people suing have their information back...

Cherry Cola:
Well, I'm cancelling my card.

Wise decision. Better safe then sorry...also probably a good idea to check your statements, just in case.

Now I feel good about the fact that I relied on buying PSN cards with cash.

Well, here's an idea, CANCEL YOUR CARD!

Also there is a possibility this is false.

I do feel sorry for everyone in this mess, since I was a couple of days ago.

The_Fezz:

No offence intended, 'The_Fezz'...but are you willing to risk the chance that it isn't false?

Well i was not going to do anything because i trusted sony saying it was encrypted and that the CVC never would've been taken.

BUuuuuuut with an article saying evidence started to surface i decided to call my bank and luckily for me, they said that cards from Denmark would not be affected :3 Yay! :D

Well, this just sucks. I don't see this getting better any time soon.

I can understand that they ain't gonna fork cash over to buy it back, i mean, they have no sort of guarantee that the hackers who stole the info in the first place doesn't just have a copy of it, so buying it back would most likely be useless.

This should really, REALLY make companys stop storing your credit card info unless really needed, and preferably store it offline if possible.

I don't think i've ever used my credit carn on PSN, and i know for sure it won't ever happen, they can go fuck themselves, and learn to deal with confident information in hope of winning their costumers trust back.

AbstractStream:
Well, this just sucks. I don't see this getting better any time soon.

It'll get alot worse before it get better...

Matthew Lynch:

The_Fezz:

No offence intended, 'The_Fezz'...but are you willing to risk the chance that it isn't false?

Well, better safe than sorry.

But I do agree, it does reek of someone who is just trying to make a quick buck off this.

Scammers scamming scammers, essentially.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here