Hackers Offer PSN Credit Cards For Sale

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Bags159:
The story on Kotaku made it sound like there's no actual proof that they actually have enough of your CC's info to do this. Has solid evidence come to light since then or is this more sensational reporting?

How can we test the validity of either story. I can come forward and say that i had money charged to my card fallaciously and offer no proof except a statement and it would probably make it here as well.

Whether or not they have enough info to sell off the credit card information, I think we can all agree that Sony is in a horrible amount of hot water. It just keeps getting worse for them.

Donnyp:

How can we test the validity of either story. I can come forward and say that i had money charged to my card fallaciously and offer no proof except a statement and it would probably make it here as well.

And that's only half of it. Situations like this are an ideal opportunity for unscrupulous individuals to get away with credit card fraud on their own. Additionally, the fact of the matter is that millions of people every year are the victims of CC fraud, and given how many people are members of PSN, you would expect dozens of them to have such issues every month.

In short; No, we won't really know anything until either someone comes up with the info and the ability to prove that it's legitimate (which would be counterproductive if they were actual cybercriminals with said info), or Sony comes out and says that the CC info was compromised.

Do these hackers not have a life ? How do they find the time to do something like this ?

and the shit storm begins for psn users this is going to suck.Good luck people and i hope things dont get too bad.Also what happens if people who have stopped gaming have paid for things on there ps3 there going to have the accounts rinsed and not even know what has happened.

This is a dark day for the comunity

Am I the only one who wants the hackers found and crucified?

OT: Man, this really sucks. I was hoping to buy a PS3 to play some exclusive games when I went away to school, but now, I don't think I will.

I am sooooo glad right now that I have neither creditcard or playstation 3.... Though it's a frightening prostpect that this might give DRM and other security measures a massive boost..... bye bye easy gaming.

I do hope that this does not lead to this:

This really pisses me off. I just canceled my debit card and got a new one issued. I might just try to sell my PS3 now. I'm afraid to use it again.

Raesvelg:

Donnyp:

And that's only half of it. Situations like this are an ideal opportunity for unscrupulous individuals to get away with credit card fraud on their own. Additionally, the fact of the matter is that millions of people every year are the victims of CC fraud, and given how many people are members of PSN, you would expect dozens of them to have such issues every month.

In short; No, we won't really know anything until either someone comes up with the info and the ability to prove that it's legitimate (which would be counterproductive if they were actual cybercriminals with said info), or Sony comes out and says that the CC info was compromised.

I agree with everything you said. Also, I'm disappointed by the number of people who automatically assume any such reports are genuine.

Even on Kotaku there are many users who believe this claim is a fabrication. Only time will tell, but assuming that any random claim made without any backing at a time like this is indeed true is pretty bad.

Never gave them my card info to begin with so I should be ok.

GeeksUtopia:
that is why i only use prepaid cards, all websites should have a prepaid card to purchase stuff. If i need a heart transplant, going to pay it with a prepaid card lol.

Most big banks can generate fake cards linked to your actual account, for safety while shopping electronically.

John the Gamer:
I am sooooo glad right now that I have neither creditcard or playstation 3.... Though it's a frightening prostpect that this might give DRM and other security measures a massive boost..... bye bye easy gaming.

I do hope that this does not lead to this:
*snip*

What the hell does this have to do with DRM? Or do you just randomly link XKCD comics to news stories regardless of relevance?

DeadlyYellow:

HaraDaya:
Damn, my condolences to all the PSN users that has to worry about this. I'd feel ill knowing my personal information could very well be sold right now.

That's the internet in a nutshell. Really if you use any online service that requires such information, you are at risk.

Ignorance is bliss. Though I admit I have gone through all the sites with my creditcard information stored and removed it. If the site still remembers it after that, I dunno. Ignorance is bliss.

gamerguy473:
If Sony actually was offered the chance to re-purchase them, they should have jumped on it.

Dont be ridiculous. Theres no guaranteeing its the actual list, and even if it was, the sellers could just make a copy to keep for themselves. Thats a huge gamble for anyone to take.

At the moment I wouldn't be surprised if there is a few people just 'saying' they can sell you details, but they are actually just full of ****.

Let's be honest. Right now is the best time for someone to stand up and say "Hey guys! I'm the one that hacked the PSN and can get you credit card numbers!" The person either has a number of card to sell already, or they just sell you a bunch of random numbers.

Seriously, I'm surprised people like that aren't taken out easily.
Officer in charge of taking douches like that out: "I'll accept your offer, how much?" "*this much*" "Ok fine" *Pays*
Then spend some time tracking that money where it goes. "Oh, it was sent to *that account*, *look into details of that account* got withdrawn at an ATM/Bank in *this area* and the original account was created *by person, at location, at time*" Sure some of that stuff can be faked, but it at least gives a starting location

Reminds me of the whole kotaku thing a while back, where everyone who posted on the site had their email address and password released. I just happened to have posted 1 comment on Kotaku a couple of years prior, that was never even published, meaning my main Email address got fucked beyond use. The annoying thing was how the guys who stole the data were applauded as heroes when the only people who suffered were the users, and the owners of the other sites within the Gawker network who had shit all to do with what the main fuckhead at the top said.

Nice to see that this time everyone is against the warped sense of justice of whoever has done this, though Sony can go bankrupt now for all I care, that would be a damn good thing actually as it would serve as a permanent reminder to other companies who handle large amounts of sensitive data of what will happen if they aren't careful. I'm sure Microsoft and Valve won't be as careless as to let every single piece of data they hold on everyone fall into the wrong hands. Sony can be an example of failure basically.

But it's far too common place now for on-line stores and services to do things like this. It shouldn't be a fucking gamble when you buy things on-line, there should be zero risk of the merchant screwing up potentially years down the line, if they think that it could happen then they shouldn't store credit card details for eternity.

Ok, I deleted my Card info off of PSN before Christmas before I got rid of my PS3
Is my Info on Sony's database still or am I ok?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

If some ass-wipe is giving away credit cards on an open forum that people can access, then wouldn't that put them at a large risk of being caught by some type of interpol or police force online? I mean, the FBI did track down and nab a few 40 some Anon's earlier this year for being stupidly open. Honestly, if I hacked down the PSN network, I would not go around waving it like a flag to the public, especially when so many people (like the Escapist forum) are watching.

MianusIzBleeding:
Ok, I deleted my Card info off of PSN before Christmas before I got rid of my PS3

I think by law, if you delete it yourself, they are no longer allowed to keep a record of it. But I wouldn't be surprised be if they are allowed to keep the data for a year after or some shit, as you can see, the laws on data protection are designed to be complex shit that you need a degree in law to actually understand your own rights http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Protection_Act_1998

One person in 77 million has suffered from credit card fraud in the past week? Run for the hills, we're all doomed!!!!!

MianusIzBleeding:

Did you buy anything on the PSN? If so, your purchase records could be there but as for your card I cannot give you that information.
If not, you made a good move.

EchetusXe:
One person in 77 million has suffered from credit card fraud in the past week? Run for the hills, we're all doomed!!!!!

For simply allowing one person's credit card details to be stolen due to carelessness would be enough for people to distrust Sony. It's not just a case of 'Oh well! as long as it's not me it's all ok!!!'

Also remember, if it hasn't been said already, that people don't need that 3 digit number on the back of the card to make "in person" purchases. That number is really only for the internet, so they can say "yes you are holding the card in your hand."

If i got a card that said (insert american name here) and went to the grocery store, or the liquor store, or best buy, or pretty much anywhere else, then all i need is the credit card number, on a card. So them not having that 3 digit number only prevents them from ordering a new wife from russia, and buying tons of crap through the internet.

Oh shit. My dad's gunna kill me...

Oh Sony, this is just the beginning of your doom...

These Hackers are truly sickening.

I'm still voting that we find every last one of these people and kill them. It can't be that hard.

HankMan:
Someone needs to held accountable

Wahahah, man you are just a barrel of laughs arent you. I feel like I've seen you in a lot of threads with the same hardy har humor.

Keep it up :>

OT: I really should call my bank ;(

Well for now I'm just constantly checking my bank account for any unauthorised activity... I pray this nightmare will be over shortly. but I don't know if I'll ever use the PSN again, even though I enjoy DLC when it adds something to the game.

MattAn24:

Darks63:

Irridium:
Well, I changed up my passwords. Good god this is scary. Whoever the hacker is, I hope he gets mauled. Yes, I wish physical harm on the son of a bitch who stole all this information. I don't care who knows it.

Hear Hear bravo to you sir i heartly agree. Yeah im going to the bank myself today to get a new card issued, although i kinda wish I could get into the class action lawsuit now.

...WHY!? They're suing the wrong people! Find the hackers and sue THEM! What the fuck is the big problem? THIS SHIT HAPPENS ALL THE DAMN TIME. It is nothing new. If it weren't Sony, it would have been Verizon. Or AT&T. Or NBC.

This was not an attack from a GeoHotz sympathizer (like, I admit, I initially claimed it to be). No. This was solely the work of CYBER CRIMINALS, with absolutely no care or remorse at all. They don't care who YOU are or who they attack. They will do it.

And the incompetance of Sony, yes we dont know the details of how adavanced the hacker's system was and yes this happens every day on the internet. but how often does a large companie like Sony lose 77 million records including credit card information?
Sony does deserve some blame here and tbh they obviously didnt have apropiate protection especially as theyve admitted most of the information wasnt encrypted

My condolences to the hardy fools that supported the wrong side in this console war...

platform Prito

Odd since Sony never stored CVVs...

Sony don't record the CCV codes. I wish only the facts would be reported rather than nonsense and rumours.

EchetusXe:

The heck of it is that there's no way to tell for sure where a stolen credit card number came from. It's pretty darned likely that at least one of the 77,000,000 PSN subscribers had his credit card information stolen through some unrelated scam or something.

If we start seeing a rash of this, then that's different.

Unrelated: We know that there are "underground hacker forums" where people sell credit card info? Isn't there some way to track these people? (I honestly don't know if there is.)

luckily i changed my card and i share an psn acount so all the information is mismatched.
though im still unhappy about the leaks

Tried to qute your reply to me Mattan24 but the forum isnt letting me so heres my reply

I understand that but its also Sonys fault for having poor security hey are a mega corp their defenses should be pretty absolute. As far as sueing the hackers sue em for what? if they had money they wouldn't be a bunch of thieves in the first place.

In reality I prolly wont get involved in it because so far I haven't lost anything and today at the bank I made sure that the likehood of thathappening will be minimal.

CM156:
Am I the only one who wants the hackers found and crucified?

Yep. Because to my mind, that'd be too fast.

OT, I'm of two minds about this. On the one hand, I doubt the validity, since it's implying data was involved that, simply put, wasn't. I was never asked for my CVV, ergo, it stands to reason they could not HAVE my CVV to sell, and suggesting such implies they have no such data and in fact are likely lying out their asses.

On the other hand, I already canceled my card, started the ball rolling to get a new one, and have looked into reporting my info to the credit bureau. Better safe than sorry. Ironically, cause my email was hacked earlier this year, I already changed a ton of stuff around; as such, aside from the name, address, DOB stuff, nothing gotten in this hack actually can impact me.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here