Hackers Offer PSN Credit Cards For Sale

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

John the Gamer:
I am sooooo glad right now that I have neither creditcard or playstation 3.... Though it's a frightening prostpect that this might give DRM and other security measures a massive boost..... bye bye easy gaming.

I do hope that this does not lead to this:
snip

Yeah, but even if it does I can't really blame Sony considering what has happened over the past 2 weeks.

joebear15:

Mr.Petey:

joebear15:
sonys in deep shit now, not quite dead in the water territory yet but it could get their .

Since when? This whole issue has attracted too much hype and it's not an isolated incident as Play.com were victims of a similar "breach of security" not too long ago. Personally I think this is excellent news as they've traced the idiots who have the balls....no wait I mean the complete lack of common sense and blurt it out.

I say track 'em down and put a police battering ram to even out some "kinks" in their front door. Then once or twice to their face in a case of "accidental police brutality" as I'm sure we all agree thieves need their heads kicked in

you do realize that these people are not at all like the mega cyber doushbag(in that they did not shout their names to the heavens as soon as they did this) and will probably never be found right?

edit im gona assume EVERYONE knows who the mega cyber doushbag is by now

Well the thing is in this modern age we live in with it's internet and social networking bringing the world into a much smaller medium, you have to be an idiot to brag about it and offer it on sale. Hype that this incident has caused will give it the needed attention to assist in finding anyone dumb enough to start selling off this data so soon after the incident occurred.

In response to the other posts, let me say I'm well aware of the gravity of the situation but I'm going to take it as the first step in tracking 'em down. I don't believe everyone can be completely immune from discovery as stated in my first paragraph. That's just my belief anyway

Mr.Petey:

joebear15:

Mr.Petey:

Since when? This whole issue has attracted too much hype and it's not an isolated incident as Play.com were victims of a similar "breach of security" not too long ago. Personally I think this is excellent news as they've traced the idiots who have the balls....no wait I mean the complete lack of common sense and blurt it out.

I say track 'em down and put a police battering ram to even out some "kinks" in their front door. Then once or twice to their face in a case of "accidental police brutality" as I'm sure we all agree thieves need their heads kicked in

you do realize that these people are not at all like the mega cyber doushbag(in that they did not shout their names to the heavens as soon as they did this) and will probably never be found right?

edit im gona assume EVERYONE knows who the mega cyber doushbag is by now

Well the thing is in this modern age we live in with it's internet and social networking bringing the world into a much smaller medium, you have to be an idiot to brag about it and offer it on sale. Hype that this incident has caused will give it the needed attention to assist in finding anyone dumb enough to start selling off this data so soon after the incident occurred.

In response to the other posts, let me say I'm well aware of the gravity of the situation but I'm going to take it as the first step in tracking 'em down. I don't believe everyone can be completely immune from discovery as stated in my first paragraph. That's just my belief anyway

A sale this soon after seems stupid, I think that these people might be tring to strike a blow against sony in addition to being thieves.

Why can't all people be nice? I mean, I can be a dick, I yell at people, I hurt people. But I know there's a limit. You cannot use someone else's money. It's morally wrong in every way. Those people earned that money. It may have taken weeks,months, years! You cannot steal that much effort, just to profit from it. I do not believe in hell, but if you do these things, That's the place you'll end up

Pyro Paul:

Mr.Petey:

joebear15:
sonys in deep shit now, not quite dead in the water territory yet but it could get their .

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/29/homeland-security-fbi-looking-into-psn-breach/

When the Department of Homeland Security has to come in and show you how it is done... That is when you are offically in 'Deep Shit' territory.

70 Million Accounts got Hacked.
The FBI would get off their asses and do something, it's logical, and I am not saying that we've passed into deep shit, we've passed that line LONG ago when we found out about our Credit Card Data being stolen.

Sinclose:

Onyx Oblivion:

Bags159:
The story on Kotaku made it sound like there's no actual proof that they actually have enough of your CC's info to do this. Has solid evidence come to light since then or is this more sensational reporting?

It's the Escapist.

Sensational reporting is all the news room does anymore.

Kinda pisses me off.

It's not just the Escapist either. But yeah, I don't trust the titles of their stories anymore, I prefer checking what the source actually says.

May I suggest actually reading the full news posts? All too many people read the title and the quick summary and that's that. It's kind of depressing.

Also, am I the only one who is reminded of Uplink?

John Funk:

Sinclose:

Onyx Oblivion:

It's the Escapist.

Sensational reporting is all the news room does anymore.

Kinda pisses me off.

It's not just the Escapist either. But yeah, I don't trust the titles of their stories anymore, I prefer checking what the source actually says.

May I suggest actually reading the full news posts? All too many people read the title and the quick summary and that's that. It's kind of depressing.

I completely agree that far too many people read only the title and go off rambling exaggerated and outright irrelevant things(seriously, it's annoying). When I was saying 'the source' I was also referring to the bulk of the news article itself, just pointing out that the title on its own can be misleading.

I call bs on this. If they have the data, why would they tell people and risk Sony suing their asses into next week?

joebear15:

cocoro67:

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:
And SONY is about to throw down with more lawyers than they knew existed.

This beautiful clusterfuck of a shitstorm is going to get someone screwed.

Hopefully the Hackers who shall be enjoying a nice lawsuit along with more if they get caught.

The big problem is I cant see how their is going to be evidence that they committed this crime(even being caught red handed with one of the stolen cards would not be enough (would get them arrested for different crimes though)

Hey, now that the FBI are involved, it'll probably be easier to get those hacker bastards.

And I would hope 2.2 million people changed their credit card number!

This is really making me nervous to even get on any internet service. PSN, STEAM, whatever. I changed up the passwords to the sites I frequent in already, but this is really making me paranoid all over.

And it all goes downhill from here...

Sony, sorry, but you're screwed.

It seems as if Sony has finally ended. I think what we can learn from this is that "You don't mess with hackers."

See ya Sony, the PS3 was okay but I'll remember you for your shining moment, the PS2.

HankMan:
Someone needs to held accountable

Oh, I see what you did there...

[quote="cocoro67" post="7.280603.10972422"]Also, am I the only one who is reminded of Uplink?
image[

If I wasn't a little frightened about all this before, I am now...

Hope Sony gets this all sorted out.

I'm amazed at the number of people using debit cards on the internet. Don't do that.

Remember folks:

Credit card = it's the banks money being stolen.
Debit card = it's your money being stolen.

All I can say is I'm glad I never connected to PSN.
Also, I hope they catch the bastards and string them up. They're giving hackers a bad name.

Looooooooooooool. There goes Sony. And, hear that? There come the conspiracies~!

Well, I think this is enough to finally elevate the underground hacking comunity from aggravating nuisance to major criminal threat. Time to hunt them down and jail them.

Erm...CVVs aren't actually asked for when you add a card to PSN...

EDIT: Sorry, my bad. They were asked for, but security codes were not stored, so I still call possible-bullshit on this

Just gonna make a quick blanket statement here, because of all the apocalyptic assertions being made.

The end result of this debacle:

Sony loses some customers, has a bad quarter maybe, but ultimately survives with minimal damage.
Maybe one or two hackers get busted, but on the whole, the community survives largely intact.

That's about it. This is not the end of Sony. This is not the end of hacking. The status quo will continue, largely unchanged. PSN security will get better. Another major network will be hacked, and people will remember the hacking of PSN as something that happened "way back when".

this... sickens me. i don't own a ps3, but i think this is simply horrible. i hope those hackers are caught and thrown in prison to rot.

I see a lot of hate directed towards the hackers. While I honestly cant blame anyone for the way they feel, in this day and age, hackers are a force of nature. Hating them is like hatting thunderstorms for knocking out your electricity.

Yes its bad/evil and people 'shouldn't do it'. Reality, its going to happen, it has happened and it will continue to happen into the future.

So what is the solution? Companies that deal with private info need to be able to secure it. You know what sony should have done right after they found GeoHotz hacked there system? HIRED HIS ASS. If they had I wonder if this situation would have happens.

But yeah basically dont waste your time hating the hackers. Even if you caught them there will be more to replace them instantly. Put pressure on the companies that are supposed to keep this stuff protected.

There is a reason this type of thing didnt happen when the Xbox or Iphone was hacked. Its because other companies know security 101. NEVER TRUST THE CLIENT.

Christ Jesus on a Ritz cracker!

I'm so canceling my card now, shit just got real! And to that bastard hacker, you can go fuck yourself off this planet.

I'm an Xbox user, but I still feel sympathy for those PSN users.

Hope some arrests will occur.

darkcommanderq:
I see a lot of hate directed towards the hackers. While I honestly cant blame anyone for the way they feel, in this day and age, hackers are a force of nature. Hating them is like hatting thunderstorms for knocking out your electricity.

Yes its bad/evil and people 'shouldn't do it'. Reality, its going to happen, it has happened and it will continue to happen into the future.

So what is the solution? Companies that deal with private info need to be able to secure it. You know what sony should have done right after they found GeoHotz hacked there system? HIRED HIS ASS. If they had I wonder if this situation would have happens.

But yeah basically dont waste your time hating the hackers. Even if you caught them there will be more to replace them instantly. Put pressure on the companies that are supposed to keep this stuff protected.

There is a reason this type of thing didnt happen when the Xbox or Iphone was hacked. Its because other companies know security 101. NEVER TRUST THE CLIENT.

Pfft. You know, if the punishment for any federal offense was capital punishment, you'd eventually run out of criminals. It might take a while, but you'd get there. Utopia!

IS it to late to change back to 360?

Worst case scenario? This could be the blow that takes down Sony. That takes down The PlayStation. That takes down years of work, sweat, and toil to create art.

This isn't stealing, it's murder.

Oh thank god i use PSN cards instead of credit cards.

Raesvelg:
Just gonna make a quick blanket statement here, because of all the apocalyptic assertions being made.

The end result of this debacle:

Sony loses some customers, has a bad quarter maybe, but ultimately survives with minimal damage.
Maybe one or two hackers get busted, but on the whole, the community survives largely intact.

That's about it. This is not the end of Sony. This is not the end of hacking. The status quo will continue, largely unchanged. PSN security will get better. Another major network will be hacked, and people will remember the hacking of PSN as something that happened "way back when".

EXACTLY. Anyone, and everyone CAN BE HACKED. I love how across the internet there are people raging, "LOL XBOX IS BETTER! WE PAY TO BE PROTECTED FROM THIS!" Then Microsoft will get hacked, and WHOOPS! Suddenly that money spent for online seems more and more stupid. I hope Sony catches these Motherfuckers. And then they let me spend a little time alone with them in a sound proof room where its just them, and me... and my BLADES OF CHAOS.

Andy Chalk:
-snip-

IMO

Popido:
"Underground hacker forum", lol.

That's actually the name of the site, Undergroundhackerforum.net, hackers aren't as smart as they'd like to think.

darkcommanderq:

Just because it's a force of nature doesn't mean it couldn't be stopped or at least utilized. In theory if we could contain the electricity from lightning we could setup lightning rods and power the world. So the best person to work security would be a hacker.......... because a hacker wouldn't steal the info if it was his job to protect it right?

Kopikatsu:

darkcommanderq:

Pfft. You know, if the punishment for any federal offense was capital punishment, you'd eventually run out of criminals. It might take a while, but you'd get there. Utopia!

Woah are you serious? Do you realize that the FBI has a full task force for tracking cyber criminals? They are like the police but online.

Did you know the shocking truth that CYBER CRIMINALS STILL EXIST!!! Shocking I know. This PSN incident just brought there existence into the light more, but they have always been around. What with proxy servers, cloning MAC addresses, leeching wifi from unsuspecting neighbors. Its impossible to get all of them, let alone most of them.

You can hate the hackers if you must, but its a waste of time. Focus on how to realistically solve the problem instead, like putting up good security. This whole incident is in large part to sonnies arrogance that their software was 'unhackable', and anyone who DID hack it they could sue into oblivion.

What you people dont seem to understand is that hackers perform a necessary function of endlessly bug testing software (for free). Example

Hacker find a hole in a website exploits it.
Hole is found after exploit, company patches hole. Repeat said process.

Most companies have learned enough over the years though this process not to let anything THIS huge get broken. Sony has now learned they cant take security lightly or believe that there software is 'unhackable'. Its just sad that it takes something this sobering to show them that.

Irridium:
Well, I changed up my passwords. Good god this is scary. Whoever the hacker is, I hope he gets mauled. Yes, I wish physical harm on the son of a bitch who stole all this information. I don't care who knows it.

Woe.

Woe unto the hacker for the Nerds have grew angry. Woe unto him for we will not show him mercy.

whats the bet that the underground hacker forum was someone just trolling 4chan?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)