Hackers Offer PSN Credit Cards For Sale

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Well it looks like the shit has hit the fan. Hopefully these hackers will be caught.

GeeksUtopia:
that is why i only use prepaid cards, all websites should have a prepaid card to purchase stuff. If i need a heart transplant, going to pay it with a prepaid card lol.

Hahaha, well, I had my credit card on my psn, but I got a new card today, and I'm never linking it with my psn again. I'm only going prepaid cards. Sony was the only company I trusted with my credit card (well, I gave it to Valve for Steam), since I used prepaid cards on the Wii and 360, but now that has all changed. This is seriously so crazy, I'm a huge Sony fan boy but it has me all over the place now, it's like finding out your wife has an STD and you know you didn't give it to her. Do you stay or do you try and clean the mess up, if it's even reversible?

Hah! My card expired and was already at its limit anyway.

HankMan:
Someone needs to held accountable

...you should be ashamed of yourself...get out...

This makes me sad, reading some of these responses.

Sony is the victim - not you. Cancel your card and stop whining.

What the gaming community needs to do is to support Sony, as a whole, and help them weather this storm. Nobody is going to gain anything from their downfall. Being hacked like this is enough motivation for them to improve security. Nothing else needs to be done, nothing else should be done.

This truly is a sad time for the gaming industry, not because a corporation messed up (as if it's Sony's fault for being hacked, there have been much worse security breaches in history than an online gaming service) but because it's become painfully obvious that so many gamers out there are ungrateful bastards who can't see past their own nose.

Instead of dumping on one of the most important figures in console gaming, second only to Nintendo, let's rally behind them so that they can get back on track with as little damage as possible and with a brand new security system.

Strife2k7:

Talens:
Complete Bull on the story, Sony never asked for your CVV (or CWV or whatever its called) so how could they have gotten them off the network

Unfortunately, according to this story on Destructoid it looks as though they /do/ ask for your CVV #.

http://www.destructoid.com/sony-didn-t-need-your-cc-security-code-except-it-did--199973.phtml

So it looks like at least on playstation.com if you try to sign up for a PSN account they do ask you for the cvv. Whether or not they store it in their database is anyone's guess.

There was a blog post on us.playstation blog recently, (FAQ1 I believe), saying that they do ask for CVV #, but don't store it
Still, keeping a close eye on my credit card transactions.

How to avoid being boned by the Sony hackers in three easy steps:

Step 1: Go to each of the major credit bureaus in your home country (Experian, Equifax, & Trans-Union for yanks like me) and have a security freeze put on your credit reports. It isn't free, but no one will be able to access your credit for commerical purposes unless you authorize it with your PIN. With a freeze in place, your personal info looses all value to an id thief.

Step 2: Cancel the credit card you used -or- Have your bank block your debit card and issue a new one.

Step 3: Going forward, use point cards or a pre-paid Visa for PSN purchases

Simple, near ironclad protection.

i have already canceled my card and changed my passwords for everything (even the ones that were not the same as my PSN) i advise all other PSN users to do the same.

You would think people on this criminal forum would be pissed since chances are some of them prob got hit by these hackers. Also you'd think the international police could track it like this...

Now I feel bad for PSN users.

this just keeps getting worse by the day.

I tried to log on and got a "Site down for maintenance" page. Seriously, I was pretty fine with Sony for a bit, but now this is starting to get ridiculous. I'm just glad I never put a CC on PSN. I learned from the 360 that DLC is a royal crock for those like myself (What if I want to sell my "game" that I'm completely sick of?).

I haven't logged on in so long, and cannot currently because of the site error, so I have no idea what else I put on the account as far as info (name, address, number, ect.). It does make me long for the days when online play wasn't so integral to game consoles where you had to create big accounts of information and all this silliness when all I want to do is kill Poseidon or shoot future-nazis (SP). I only signed up for PSN in the case of actually wanting to download something, like a theme one time. Do they really need my house address so I can have Kratos killing stuff on my PSN background?

Chatney:

What the gaming community needs to do is to support Sony, as a whole, and help them weather this storm. Nobody is going to gain anything from their downfall. Being hacked like this is enough motivation for them to improve security. Nothing else needs to be done, nothing else should be done.

This truly is a sad time for the gaming industry, not because a corporation messed up (as if it's Sony's fault for being hacked, there have been much worse security breaches in history than an online gaming service) but because it's become painfully obvious that so many gamers out there are ungrateful bastards who can't see past their own nose.

Instead of dumping on one of the most important figures in console gaming, second only to Nintendo, let's rally behind them so that they can get back on track with as little damage as possible and with a brand new security system.

I found it quiet funny how a lot of sony fanboys say its not Sony fault they got hack and we should help them out. Excuse me for saying this, but I call BS. If this was MS everyone would saying "LOL MS suxs you get what you pay for!" But no, since this is "Sony" they get all the special treatment which shouldn't be. They lost ALL their users info and kept it hidden for about a week. If this was any other company (not just gaming companies) and this happen I"m sure everyone would be piss off and would get rid of them in a heart beat. So don't tell me I have to feel sorry for sony for their own screw ups.

My card expired a couple of months ago, and I never got around to replacing it. Pretty happy with myself right now.

And this is why I only use pre-paid cards to buy things on the internet. And I never even used that on my psn account.

Matthew Lynch:
Unfortunately a security code is only 3 digits long. Anyone with the equipment to breach to the core files of PSN will have a program to guess a 3 digit number.

It's not as simple as just brute-forcing the number. Any credit card provider's transaction servers are going to throw up a warning flag when confronted with possibly hundreds of attempts from the same card number.

You know I hate to be the one to bring this up and be THAT GUY but there is something that just urks me about this whole thing. I know it's nitpicking and kinda annoying but as my friend says "if you never correct them, they will never learn." These guys are not hackers, they are CRACKERS. A hacker is someone who modifies or breaks into a system DIRECTLY while a CRACKER does the same thing from the OUTSIDE. My apologies for being a syntax nazi but someone HAD to say it

I'm getting tired of people thinking it's the end of the world. IF YOU USE CREDIT CARDS ONLINE ANYWHERE, YOU SHOULD EXPECT THIS. If you're too lazy to manually enter your credit card number for every transaction then maybe this will teach you a lesson. If after reading this you still decide not to GO AND CANCEL YOUR OLD CREDIT CARD AND GET A FUCKING NEW ONE, then fuck it, you deserve to lose your money. Think of it this way, by losing everything, you're helping to teach future generations what not to do. It's financial Darwinism.

YOU made the choice to allow your credit card information to be stored online. YOU are at fault here. YOU had alternative methods that are much, much safer, such as buying PSN credit from your local game store. Sony only has the credit card system because it is what YOU, the consumer wants. If people weren't lazy complaining assholes, they wouldn't need to provide that service. YOU should know, they can't protect your details, it doesn't matter how good the security is, it can still be hacked. This is obvious to anyone who can think for themselves. It is YOU and your laziness that has brought this about.

ahhhhh, finally...
PSN goes down the drain.... I was waiting a long time for this moment to happen... Oh well, the show has just began, so I better grab some popcorn, because it's gonna be interesting, MWUHAHAHA

This is a huge dick move on the part of the hackers. Putting innocent people in debt and invading their privacy is going way too far.

Tohuvabohu:
Is this really any more than a rumor? PSN doesn't take CVV's, I think? Seems to be untrue.

CVV's are not hard to find.
There are key generators out there that could find one in under a minute.
Its best you cancel your accounts.

Outcast107:

I found it quiet funny how a lot of sony fanboys say its not Sony fault they got hack and we should help them out. Excuse me for saying this, but I call BS. If this was MS everyone would saying "LOL MS suxs you get what you pay for!" But no, since this is "Sony" they get all the special treatment which shouldn't be. They lost ALL their users info and kept it hidden for about a week. If this was any other company (not just gaming companies) and this happen I"m sure everyone would be piss off and would get rid of them in a heart beat. So don't tell me I have to feel sorry for sony for their own screw ups.

Because the whole time the PS3 was out, Sony were waiting for the system to be hacked?
Its Sonys fault they got hacked?
Your point is flawed, yes they lied to the consumers, yes their security wasn't as tight as it should be.
The only way they can make defence against a hack as big as this, is to be hacked in the first place.
In japan the nuclear reactor was made to withstand earthquakes as big as previous ones, not an earthquake the size as what recently happened.
Its a learning process they get knocked down they get back up again but stronger.
If Sony pull through this they will upgrade and increase there security.

Callum Lisson:

CVV's are not hard to find.
There are key generators out there that could find one in under a minute.
Its best you cancel your accounts.

CVVs are actually a fairly effective anti-fraud measure. Yes, with three or four digit random numbers it would not take excessively long to test enough permutations to brute force smash your way through that particular security feature.

Except, of course, for the fact that any attempt to do so would almost invariably trigger a deactivation of the card in question, as someone goes through more than three attempts to run a given card with variations on possible CVV numbers.

Ultimately, the reason that the CVV isn't going to save your ass is not because it's difficult to get around; in one way it's not, and in another way it is. The reason it's not going to matter is because the criminal in question is simply going to find a way to use your card that does not require either of the CVV codes on it. Which is why we're probably going to have to impose additional regulations at some point that force all merchants to require the CVV2 codes when conducting a "card not present" transaction.

CHANGE YOUR CARDS NOW! DO IT PEOPLE! RETALIATE!

Sony got slapped in the face with some hacker d*ck.

But, this is terribad. Check your cards. And I hope this gets resolved soon for all ya PSN-people. ;)

This is why my card is linked to a secondary checking account away from the main savings so at the time they would have a cool 28$ available unless I add more money to it. Go go stupidity barriers for if I should lose my debit card.

However I would enjoy seeing a public torture of the people who did this (I'll lead it if you want ^^) then maybe if we feel they suffered enough an execution to follow (I will also help with that)

Sony will never recover from this,

their sales will go straight down, they are about to be sued for possibly billions, many people are now going to get rid of their PS3's, and even if the hackers are caught it wont fix all the damage that has been done.

This could be the end of them as we know it...

sunpop:

However I would enjoy seeing a public torture of the people who did this (I'll lead it if you want ^^) then maybe if we feel they suffered enough an execution to follow (I will also help with that)

got to imagine how many other hackers that got their info stolen are tracking them down as well, also i have a feeling anon with help find them as well.

EDIT: sorry for double post i didnt think the thread was moving slow

WanderingFool:

He also noted that Sony was "supposedly" offered a chance to buy back the information but refused, although Sony's Patrick Seybold denied that claim, saying, "To my knowledge there is no truth to the report that Sony was offered an opportunity to purchase the list."

Im finding this somewhat believable. Wouldnt it be cheaper and easier on Sony to just buy the information if the offer was given, than deal with the lawsuits and such? Course thats considering that if Sony did do that, the lawsuits would be dropped as the the people suing have their information back...

Also it's the whole "Don't trust criminals to withhold their end of the bargain thing"

That's a big reason you seldom see law enforcement give into any demands. That and the fact that it's against their principles to a degree but there's a decent chance they'd say, get transportation out of a hostage situation and just kill the hostage anyway.

Trusting a liar, cheat, thief, or murderer isn't exactly too bright as they have already proven by their actions that they are untrustworthy.

Chatney:

Yes because if someone suddenly starts buying things with my money, that I don't even have at that, I'm not a victim. It's my fault. Maybe we shouldn't pointlessly kick them when they are down but they don't deserve much sympathy for being this bloody inept and everything I have been told leads me to believe that they were in fact inept. They were so sure that no one could get past the moat of their grand castle to hire guards, or to lock, or indeed even shut the door to their gold vault.

I'm not sure if you are a terribly unintelligent fanboy or a troll.

They still do deserve a few lawsuits for being this incompetent and negligent but yes there will be way too many people suing looking for a payday, and that's unfortunate.

I hope the guy responsible for this is kidnapped and tortured Hostel style. I don't give a shit if he's going to try to take my money, let him burn.

Chatney:

I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Did you just tell me to stop whining about having my money stolen? I agree that we shouldn't be too hard on Sony for this (Though we definitely shouldn't just not hold them accountable) but how fucking dare you say that I'm WHINING when I get mad about my fucking cash being at risk because a company fucked up bad.

And you call us ungrateful? Are you serious? I don't think getting mad at a company for being incompetent enough to let somebody commit mass identity theft is being ungrateful. "Hey, I may have had my money and possibly personal safety put at risk, but at least Sony isn't physically coming to my house and sticking a vacuum cleaner up my ass. Stop whining, you guys! It's so selfish!"

Ridiculous.

Outcast107:

Chatney:

Actually no, I would have no ill will towards MS if this were to happen to them. Honestly, whats to stop the hackers from turning around and doing this to Microsoft? Bigger user base, much larger amount of people with credit information because of Live Gold accounts.

If anything, Xbox360 is the next target. This isn't just a Sony problem, this is a industry wide problem! Nothing is 100% hack proof, and hackers, they know how to cover their tracks. Chances are these guys won't be caught.

Special treatment? Are you fucking kidding me? The PS3 and Sony have been under scrutiny ever since it was released, just take a good hard look at the history of Sony based news articles even from this site! The Escapist isn't that bad, but they take a lot of shots at Sony just for being Sony, even if it's not gaming related:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.121568-New-Sony-Netbook-Costs-a-Kings-Ransom?page=1

This for example.

Back on topic, sorry, ADD gets the best of me at times. He/she's right, people should stop pointing the finger and laughing at Sony because of this very unfortunate set of circumstances. It could've happened to Microsoft too, and it still might.

In my opinion; I call BS. Hackers are smarter than this, you don't go on a forum and advertise to sell stolen credit card information. This is a great way to get yourself caught, and nyone willing to participate will get caught too. These are just stupid con artists.

I think it's odd that people are still defending Sony I mean I know you love them and I love Sony too but really they have fucked up.

I don't personally think this will kill Sony, other companies have been hacked and they have managed to survive but it's going to be a shit year for them and the xbox sales will go up and ps3 sales will go down. It's a shame but really the ps3 has had so many problems it's entire life, there's the security, the LG copyright claims, the rumble controller, the drawn out release date due to a lack of blue led lights and some terrible ports (from what I've hard due to the complex language the ps3 plays games with). This along with the psp sales are going to make sony seriously rethink their next consoles.

Also for the optimists saying they can't get anything, if they have your email address and password, a lot of people will have the same password for everything including ebay paypal and amazon. Which store all account information and can easily change the sender address.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here