Sony Offers "Sincerest Apologies" for PSN Attack

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Sony Offers "Sincerest Apologies" for PSN Attack

Sony has apologized for the PlayStation Network attack and gave more details on the incident at a press conference.

Sony bigwig Kaz Hirai recently held a press conference in Japan where he revealed specifics on how the major PlayStation Network attack took place and talked about the steps Sony is taking to fix the issue. In addition, he offered up a sincere apology.

"We would like to extend our apologies [to PlayStation Network and Qriocity users] ... because we potentially compromised their customer data," Hirai stated. "We offer our sincerest apologies."

Unless someone is buying an RV in my name right now, I can accept his apology. Sony executives then explained some of the details behind the attack. The intruder hit a server run by Sony at AT&T's service center in San Diego, California, which Sony realized sometime between April 17 and 19. The PSN was shut down on April 20 as Sony contacted a security firm to help investigate.

The executives called it a "highly sophisticated attack by a skilled intruder" that "took steps to cover his tracks." On April 24, two more security firms were contacted as Sony realized the seriousness of the attack. Customers were notified around April 26 that their information may have been stolen, even though there was no proof, because the possibility couldn't be ruled out. Approximately 10 million credit cards were attached to the PlayStation Network, but Sony still hasn't confirmed that any credit card data was taken.

*Update*: Here's an image that Sony released (via Mark MacDonald on Twitter) that gives a visual description of how the attack took place:

Sony is now moving its data center to a new, secret location, hopefully deep within the core of the Earth. Sony detailed other increased security measures, Sony-provided assistance for credit monitoring, and "welcome back" customer appreciation bonuses in a press release. Hirai surprisingly also talked Sony's encounter with Anonymous, referring to how the faceless hacking group published personal information of Sony executives, but says the group may not be related to the PSN intrusion.

Hirai concluded the press conference by stating: "These kind of attacks... may not be limited only to Sony." Sony is cooperating with law enforcement agencies such as the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the FBI for the "safety of a networked society." Right on.

Source: Gamasutra

So Sony decided to say sorry? Why do I see Kevin Butler doing this?

Nice to know they're releasing more information. Most of it seems to be sourcing from the blog, but I'd like to see the video where they bowed down as an expression of formal apology >_>

Also, it would help if they made a video of Kevin Butler apologizing :P Not holding my breath though.

However, I do really admire their bowing gesture, especially given what it means within Japanese culture.

Think this is relevant, it contains a short clip from their press conference when they bowed:

It all seems reasonable to me. I have no problem accepting Sony's apology.

in b4 "Anonymous did it!" without reading the article.

Now, what will you do if/when credit cards that were "stolen" start being used?

Well, now they're not even sure how much data was actually exposed. Well for some reason, I have a feeling that they might find out that much less data is missing than they think.

That's what makes this interesting, there might not have been a real problem.

I don't blame you for getting hacked, Sony.

But I'm very mad about the incredibly slow information leak you gave us after the shutdown.

Sorry...will have to do. There's not much else you can do, really. You can't suck back the personal info from out of the hacker's(s') hands.

Tom Goldman:
*snip*

This is as good a time as any, I suppose

What is your avatar from...I recognize it, but can't place it at all, though.

Thanks sony. I'm sure that makes everything better for the millions that got their data stolen.

Kalezian:

Dispute the charges, get the card replaced, and put a fraud alert on your accounts.

I would also get your credit reports checked. It's free as a US citizen at annualcreditreport.com once a year.

Apology accepted. Now get the PSN back online.

I just want to get portal on my pc

You know, I frankly half-expected they would not do this, based on how they had reacted to the PS3 hack with complete haughtiness. I really expected them to just 'placate the low-born masses' with only their free gifts so as to 'shut them up', but apparently...Sony does have limits to how high they can stretch their noses.

Nice to see.

Tom Goldman:

Great PR move, honestly. And a hard one for a lot of hard-working folks to make. The technicians know it's not their fault, and they know this is making them look bad... but the company at large knows they can't convince the irrational public of this, because the hackers don't have any faces to hate (yet).

So they throw themselves under the bus, and offer an unqualified apology accepting the "blame," just to get things back on track. Swallowing the pride and getting down to business. Kudos to Sony. I don't own any Sony consoles or products, but this gives me some real respect for them.

I just wish they didn't have to do this. It'd be nice if they could just say, "Look. We got hacked. It's the hackers' fault. We're going to try to fix it going forward, but quit blaming us. Seriously, it's like blaming a guy whose house got robbed because he happened to be borrowing your lawnmower at the time."

"sincerest apologies".... That's it?

Patrick Young:
I just want to get portal on my pc

Me too.

Onyx Oblivion:

Tom Goldman:
*snip*

What is yoru avatar from...I recognize it, but can't place it at all, though.

It's a Nu, from Chrono Trigger.

OT: This is the part I've been waiting for:

Sony:
because we potentially compromised their customer data

Finally, they stopped deflecting, even if only for a few sentences. They can't undo their previous PR missteps but at least they're on the right track.

snfonseka:

What did you expect? It wasn't even their fault.

snfonseka:

Well, that and 30 days of free Playstation Plus, or whatever it's called.

So....was this Sony technically blaming AT&T?

I accept the apology, its impossible to create a hack proof server and I believe it's just really really unfortunate it happened to Sony and I hope the bastards who did it are brought to justice.

Well, at least they finally apologized. Having PSN back up would be nice though.

kitsuta:

Onyx Oblivion:

Tom Goldman:
*snip*

It's a Nu, from Chrono Trigger.

THAT'S IT!

I kept thinking of Secret of Mana for some reasons.

I'd just like to take this opportunity that this Sony shouldn't have to apologise for this, they are a victim too, all of this is the soul fault of arrogant coders such as failoverflow and George Hotz, these are the people responsible for allowing the hackers to steal all of your data. From the beginning of this debacle it has been clear that there are far too many people in possession of an overblown sense of entitlement. Once the FBI or other force has identified these hackers the coders who found the PS3 public key should be treated as accessories to the crime. I'm tired of everyone bitching about free speech and free access because this is the result of such arrogance. Anonymous in this case can go f**k itself.

Kalezian:

You'll just have to fill out this form...

Which is guarded by Velociraptors...

That are also Cyborgs...

In their doom fortress...

At the Heart of the world...

It couldn't be simpler.

RedEyesBlackGamer:

snfonseka:

Really? If I am not mistaken they have a responsibility for protecting their customer details and credit card info etc. If you mean by "It wasn't even their fault." that the attack was conducted by external party, well yea... attacks were/ are/ will be always conducted by external parties. A company won't attack to itself. But that doesn't mean it has no responsibility towards its' customers privacy protection.

snfonseka:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

snfonseka:

Really? If I am not mistaken they have a responsibility for protecting their customer details and credit card info etc. If you mean by "It wasn't even their fault." that the attack was conducted by external party, well yea... attacks were/ are/ will be always conducted by external parties. A company won't attack to itself. But that doesn't mean it has no responsibility towards its' customers privacy protection.

I just don't understand the amount of hate they are getting. I guess it is easier for people to vent at the only party with a face in this disaster.

Good to see an apology, tho I would like to know if my details are in some twats computer.

snfonseka:

Do you understand the Asian concept of "losing face?" It isn't much like the Western concept of an apology -- one that's usually insincere and don't mean much of anything.

Apology Accepted.

Now give me free stuff.

Of course I never blamed Sony for all this anyway.

Still, give me the free stuff.

Like, now.

RedEyesBlackGamer:

snfonseka:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

I just don't understand the amount of hate they are getting. I guess it is easier for people to vent at the only party with a face in this disaster.

Its rather simple. They suspected data was being compromised a few days before they told anyone. That's more than enough time for someone to sell on your info and for it to be used.

I don't blame Sony for being hacked. I blame them for doing the equivalent of hoping it'd go away rather than letting us know there was an issue.

Of course, I personally don't care because I'm an Xbox fan myself and this is just hilariously interesting to watch. I'm damn glad this didn't happen to Microsoft.

Onyx Oblivion:

Tom Goldman:
*snip*

Hmm...Kinda looks like it's from Chrono Trigger...

snfonseka:

The executives bowed deeply. Do you realize that in Japan they take bowing seriously? This shows that they are seriously sorry for what happened.

I really wanna know who this hacker/these hackers is/are. Not because I need a face to channel my nerd rage, just because it'd be interesting to see what one of the greatest computer minds of this generation looks like. Besides, the guy's obviously got skill. I can't imagine him doing a lot of time before he starts working for the FBI or something.

JDKJ:

snfonseka:

Do you understand the Asian concept of "losing face?" It isn't much like the Western concept of an apology -- one that's usually insincere and don't mean much of anything.

That's all well and good, but us westerners don't give a damn about saying sorry and bowing. That's why there's also the free stuff and upgraded membership, I'd imagine.

Edited, post was not needed >_<

Insufficient. Words are meaningless and forgettable.

JDKJ:

snfonseka:

I foresee culturally insensitive responses to this.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here