Learn How To Make "Super Healthy" Food From Superheroes

Learn How To Make "Super Healthy" Food From Superheroes

"You get that taste by putting the banana IN the Batman..."

Let's be honest about something. The 1980s were absolutely ridiculous, though often in an adorable, goofy, sort of way. Case in point: It was recently discovered that the July, 1981 issue of Woman's Day contained a mini-magazine from DC Comics that was chock-full of superhero-inspired recipes.

The insert was called the "DC Superheros Super Healthy Cookbook". Based on the photos and recipes on display, this is actually pretty adorable. Aside from the "Mild-Mannered Hamburger", the book also includes gems like Batman and Robin investigating the mystery of the "Invisible Banana French Toast." Oh, yeah, and there's also a guide to creating an army of vegetable robots.

This sounds like an awesome geek artifact to add to the collection, but the guide itself isn't cheap. There's currently a copy on eBay selling for $12.99; Amazon also has the book, though the cheapest it's selling for is $88. Maybe we should just stick to enjoying the photos from the book online.

Source: Branded in the 80s io9

DC stands for Dorky Cooking

Since when are hamburgers with extra much ketchup healthy?

Like everything made in the Eighties, this is awesome to the max, dude.
I'm totally making the banana french toast eggy bread later.

DC forces you to eat healthy! And if you make any cakes, Lex Luthor will just steal them from you. And that's just terrible....

Realitycrash:

That many ketchup is not healthy, no matter what companies say.

I'd like to see a Deadpool cookbook

"How to make Tacos"
-"Go to taco bell and order some"

"How to make proper cooked chicken"
-Find a chicken
-BLAM! (attempt small arms fire to not blow the chicken up entirely)
-Cook it
-Enjoy

Realitycrash:

What I was thinking, though htats an awesome trick to do.

Kuchinawa212:
I'd like to see a Deadpool cookbook

"How to make Tacos"
-"Go to taco bell and order some"

"How to make proper cooked chicken"
-Find a chicken
-BLAM! (attempt small arms fire to not blow the chicken up entirely)
-Cook it
-Enjoy

Not to mention his impressive vegetarian menu.

vansau:

... After reading that I dare not look at the scans.

Dear God, I need some bleach for my brain. -_-

I wonder if that cook book got the recipe to the Spectre Salad? I always wonder what ingredients are needed and the taste when it was mention in Kingdom Come.

HankMan:
DC stands for Dorky Cooking

NINJAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Awesome, need to find me some of these recipes

man that title had me thinking make learn how to make healthy out of (from) superheros

Kaymish:
man that title had me thinking make learn how to make healthy out of (from) superheros

I know, I was sorta looking forward to Tempura Aquaman.

Cooking Mumas gonna be piiiiiiissed.

"The Martian Man-wich" anyone, a, A!?

Sonicron:

vansau:

It gets worse. The word immediately after "Batman" is "batter".

Mr. Omega:
DC forces you to eat healthy! And if you make any cakes, Lex Luthor will just steal them from you. And that's just terrible....

But that's as many as four tens!

OT: Those veggie robots just made me go "d'awww".

HOLY ****, I did think that any one else heard of this book. My parents bought me this book when was 6 but I haven't seen it a decade, now I need to find it!

I've actually had this book... for as long as I can remember. Try the "Meteor Eats" (peanut butter balls + honey & cocounut) they're effing delicious.

Captcha: Cornii entainet. Surprisingly appropriate.

Pretty sure this is the same cookbook I had as a kid (thought it was a "Super Friends" cookbook, unless that's a different one.) Taught myself how to make scrambled eggs (Hawkman's scrambled eggs, shaped like a bird with toast wings and a wedge of cheese for a beak) and I recall some sort of Wonder Woman soda-type-drink (EDIT: "Paradise Pop") made up of a can of oj concentrate and ginger ale.

EDIT: Looking at the pics on the eBay auction it *was* the book I had (back in '80-'81, at the ripe age of 10!)

Tuqui:

Realitycrash:

That many ketchup is not healthy, no matter what companies say.

Hey it was the 80's. I mean even the Reagan Administration tried to make Ketchup an approved vegetable for foodstamps. Yes I said vegetable, they really tried to pass that.

Reagonomics!!!

Invisible Banana French Toast.

Seriously, this makes me happy I never knew Batman when I was growing up.

Vegetable robots! at last I can defeat my enemies with the power of good health.

Scarim Coral:
I wonder if that cook book got the recipe to the Spectre Salad? I always wonder what ingredients are needed and the taste when it was mention in Kingdom Come.

Spinach and cottage cheese, I'm hoping there's more to it then that... but that's what it said in the comic.

Formica Archonis:

Sonicron:

vansau:

It gets worse. The word immediately after "Batman" is "batter".

... Gah! Why would you tell me that?!? Oh Lord! x_x

So....super random article. Is this due to lack of anything better, or just some random bit that vansau (or whoever, I do not know who decides the articles) found interesting?

The Flash Apple Crisp looks mighty good. I might just try making that for desert tonight.

I actually made the invisble banana french toast :D!!!
Going to make the burger next xD!

...or just let him do it himself!

I'll be honest - I read the article article subject line as "learning to make food from superheroes", as in "using them as ingredients". This is much less creepy though!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here