Nerf Gives Squirt Guns Action Movie Upgrade

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Nerf Gives Squirt Guns Action Movie Upgrade

Nerf has beefed up its water guns with an idea borrowed from actual guns.

There's something very satisfying about watching an action movie star slam another magazine into his or her weapon of choice, before dispatching hordes of villainous henchmen. You and I might not get into quite so many gun fights, but with summer coming up, there's every chance you might get into a water fight, and thanks to the folks at Nerf, you can recreate your own action movie moments, without having to fatally wound anyone.

The chunky magazines have watertight valves on the top so that they don't leak, and hold up to 10 fl.oz, or just a little less than 300 ml. There are a couple of guns that use the magazines: the Nerf Super Soaker "Thunderstorm," and the Nerf Super Soaker "Tornado Strike." Slightly silly names aside, the guns look pretty cool: The Tornado Strike is shaped like a submachine gun, while the Thunderstorm is a battery-operated pistol, which doesn't require pumping and is capable of fully automatic fire. Best of all, the guns and the magazines are all pretty cheap. The guns cost between $15 and $20, and spare magazines cost $4.

This is the kind of idea that seems so obvious and simple, you're surprised that no one thought of it before. After all, not having to go and refill your gun so often is almost certain to give you the edge in any water fight, regardless of who it's with. Heck, you could even invest in a couple of bandoleers if you wanted, although that's probably overkill.

Source: Ars Technica

I hate getting in water gun fights, I have issues with getting water in my eyes, but this is an AWESOME idea, and I agree, I can't fathom why no one picked up on this before.

We have these in the Tesco where I work!
We don't have the proper Nerf weapons but we have these!

Sooo cool! Wish I had that as a kid; the most annoying thing about Squirt gun fights was the constant pumping for pressure.

No such thing as overkill.

Wait... how would you actually distinguish "fully automatic fire" on a squirt gun from normal firing? It's not like you're shooting discrete objects, they fire a stream of water - sure, mechanically I suppose one could draw a parallel, but suggesting a squirt gun is "fully automatic" sounds every bit as strange as suggesting my garden hose is a fully automatic weapon of watery doom.

Basically I don't think automatic really works well in the context of water.

I don't know about you guys, but I think that thing is awesome.

And soon we can replace the super-soakified water with super-realistic bullets that actually penetrate the skin!

Nerf really knows how to wet my appetite for carnage.

Logan Westbrook:

Heck, you could even invest in a couple of bandoleers if you wanted, although that's probably overkill.

More like overspill. H20hhh yeah.

I might pick one of these up over the summer. Nice alternative to paint-balling, if you mix food dye in with the ammunition.

caleb451:
bandolier.

Actually, either spelling is correct.

Holy hell I wish I had that as a kid.

Battery... powered... watergun...
wat.

They have these kinds of things for the regular Nerf guns, but I never thought they could work for water as well...

So does this spell the end of the foam projectile era? Especially if Nerf is making it?

That's like Kodak switching to only digital cameras.

HankMan:
Nerf really knows how to wet my apatite for carnage

That's what she said.

No really, I said that aloud when I read this X3

Logan Westbrook:
Heck, you could even invest in a couple of bandoleers if you wanted, although that's probably overkill.

You take that back!

Actually, this new series of Super Soakers is a lot of fun. The clips are convenient, and they let the fun continue just a tiny bit longer. Also, the look and feel of the guns is beefier, and they're far more durable than the old ones.

As a Nerf blaster modder myself, I like what Nerf is up to lately.

Totally getting one to torment my younger sister with!

Squilookle:
So does this spell the end of the foam projectile era? Especially if Nerf is making it?

Nope, Nerf is still producing crazy foam dart guns.

Those are cool as fuck.

Bet these will appear in some fun YouTube videos.

Am I the only person that remembers the camel pack for the water guns back in the '90's?

OT: sweet, now only if I was 10 again....

same for the new NERF guns, damnit.

WHY couldn't this stuff be made when I was a kid?

Kalezian:
Am I the only person that remembers the camel pack for the water guns back in the '90's?

The question is, why do you think you can't enjoy them now. I mean I'm 20 and still have nerf and super soaker fights with my friends and family from time to time. I actually have a Maverick within arms reach at the time of posting this.

9_6:
Battery... powered... watergun...
wat.

Don't you mean... WATT? lululululululululul.

This isn't anything new. I had these in the 80's to play with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99UPQEFSGVQ

edit: I should note though, that doesn't change the cool factor of the new nerf gun =P

Cpu46:

Kalezian:

The question is, why do you think you can't enjoy them now. I mean I'm 20 and still have nerf and super soaker fights with my friends and family from time to time. I actually have a Maverick within arms reach at the time of posting this.

because I live in a town whoms police will shoot a grandmother for carrying a BB gun with a bent barrel.

but more importantly, because all my friends have "grown up"...

[note: grown up is code for playing Airsoft and such]

I might get one though, for the hell of it.

Yeah, this isnt anything new... But still a brilliant idea..

Nerf Ninja:
No such thing as overkill.

TimeLord:

I want some so badly now.

Can you describe their qualities? :D

Squilookle:

Foam projectiles will never die. Not while automatic nerf guns are still on the market.

hunh....

There's gonna be a lot of people using these when we do our annual water war at school this year.

Bah, the peak of watergun technology has already been reached.

The .50 Caliber Cow:

TimeLord:

I want some so badly now.

Can you describe their qualities? :D

I haven't had a chance to buy one yet, stupid working nightshift and bank holiday opening hours. It did cause me to do a double take when I glanced at the shelf and saw the word Nerf though xD

Souplex:
Bah, the peak of watergun technology has already been reached.

My mate has one of them, it broke a while ago but he's been trying to fix it. He has a huge shoulder strap for it and looks like such a bad ass walking around carying it, firing and more often than not laughing manically!

Logan Westbrook:

This is the kind of idea that seems so obvious and simple, you're surprised that no one thought of it before.

Except that it has. There used to be "realistic" water guns on the market back before everything went PC and they were banned by the government.

I have a Larami brand (the company that makes Super Soakers) water gun modeled after a Beretta handgun, and the clip is where you put the water in. It's also battery operated.

I got it at a yard sale when I was a kid some 18-or-so years back.

I will post a picture of it when I get back home.

It's about time. I was tired of having to run back to a faucet to fill up and that's the only reason I never cared for water gun fights.

It's on now.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or