Yes, We Really Can Be Bribed With Cookies

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Yes, We Really Can Be Bribed With Cookies

We've been telling you for years that we can be bribed with a good batch of cookies, and one enterprising developer finally listened.

The Escapist gets hundreds of press releases in a given day, everything from new trailers, to screen shots, to mergers and demos. Being noticed in that crowd can be difficult, and people take different approaches to getting their particular game to stand out. Some try to be funny, (some actually succeed), some use "shocking" language, and some just hope the game speaks for itself. One enterprising indie developer, however, decided not to leave anything to chance and took the bold approach of bribery. Delicious, delicious bribery.

Jorge Rodriguez, President of Lunar Workshop, dropped off a package labeled "Attn: The Escapist" at our front desk. Inside was a batch of chocolate chip cookies and the following note:

Escapist Magazine,

We have your cookies. We have included their severed halves as proof.

Give us one article in Escapist about Digitanks and one guided tour of your headquarters or you will never see your cookies again.

--Lunar Workshop Team

According to a post on the Digitanks web site, Jorge got the idea after I mentioned at a conference that we could be bribed with cookies. He then went the extra step and got his mom to bake them. Well played, sir, well played.

I don't see the tour of HQ happening any time soon, but here's your post about Digitanks, Lunar Workshop. You earned it. Also, tell your mom the cookies were delicious.

Download the Digitanks demo and you, too, may someday receive cookies baked by Jorge's mom. Hey, it could happen.

Susan Arendt:
Snip

You guys are weak.

You should of demanded bronies as well.

Edit: Sorry, BROWNIES.

Ahh, bribery has never tasted so good.

Cookies are pretty sweet.

man, now I want some cookies

Okay home-made cookies would have brought me as well.

I am shocked, shocked and disgusted. You have failed to uphold the high standards that are expected of online journalism. I'm afraid we are going to have to confiscate the cookies.

What do you mean they're all gone?

Well, I guess I should check out that game then... No reason I should leave empty handed...

Cookies aside, I really like the look of that game.

This begs the question; are there enough cookies for the entire class? If not you can't eat them. The actual game doesn't look interesting to me, but kudos to them for the exposure.

Not G. Ivingname:

Susan Arendt:
Snip

You guys are weak.

I think the fandom would object to this.

haha oh that is awesome. i love people =]

I like how it's 1 part bribery, 1 part blackmail, and all parts delicious. I will be sure to check out the demo.

I just read the "cookie caper" post you linked to... That was hilarious. Better written than most heist movies out there!

Susan Arendt:
snip

I always knew you were a sucker for "sweet talk" Susan

That's the tastiest bribe I've ever seen... <.<

Bribed with cookies? Inb4 Escapist members start sending you batches of cookies for whole articles devoted to themselves :P

Not G. Ivingname:

Susan Arendt:
Snip

You guys are weak.

Now, why would they want a bunch of internet dorks obsessed with a cartoon for little girls?

Hardly a valuable commodity.

Congratulations, Mr Rodriguez. For your ingenuity I will download your demo. Because that was pretty much the best thing I've read all week.

What would happen if they sent Cake & Pie, too?

O_o

After reading this, and the blog on Digitanks' website:

http://www.digitanks.com/2011/05/04/the-cookie-caper/

I am infected with cute. You guys are awesome.

HankMan:

Susan Arendt:
snip

Oh Hankman, that was... Oh god..

But seriously... Where are my cookies?

An article for a mere batch of cookies? Hell, would I get that illusive tour of your headquarters (located deep underneath the Sea of Tranquility iirc) if I were to throw in a glass of milk as well? Or a pie? Everybody loves pie...

Alright, time to check out that game thingie...

As long as EA never figures this out ... we will be safe.

Celtic_Kerr:

HankMan:

Susan Arendt:
snip

That's what she said!

*takes notes*

Goody. If I ever need to get a game I make published at the escapist, I'll make sure to include a batch of my kickass chocolate chip cookies.

Yes, I'm a guy who bakes awesome cookies. Deal. With. It. :P

HankMan:

Celtic_Kerr:

HankMan:

That's what she said!

Oh dear... Devin needs to learn when to shut his mouth...

aegix drakan:
*takes notes*

Goody. If I ever need to get a game I make published at the escapist, I'll make sure to include a batch of my kickass chocolate chip cookies.

Better yet: HIRE ME! You get cookies, banana bread, brownies, and PIE!

Susan Arendt:

Download the Digitanks demo and you, too, may someday receive cookies baked by Jorge's mom. Hey, it could happen.

Hmmm. Why does this vaguely look like Assault Rigs and Darwinia had a baby?   ~.^

Celtic_Kerr:

aegix drakan:
*takes notes*

Ooo, banana bread. Tempting. Veerrrrry tempting.

So, if they have cookies, are they the Dark Side?

Cookies are a great start, but Bacon is the true deal maker.

Susan Arendt:

Celtic_Kerr:

aegix drakan:
*takes notes*

Ooo, banana bread. Tempting. Veerrrrry tempting.

Well my mother makes the best banana bread this side of .... Well.... EVER!

Well played says you? I feel a change in the winds says I!

Crispy Bacon inside cookies, with a warm dallop of Maple syrup, served on banana bread.

Susan doesn't lie.

Least of all about cookies (and kitties, but that's a different quantum box).

Just accept it.

well i can now honestly say im very thankful i took Food and Nutrition in school and learnt how to make cake.
I should try holding sweets hostage more often...

icyneesan:
Bribed with cookies? Inb4 Escapist members start sending you batches of cookies for whole articles devoted to themselves :P

It is a long-standing tradition that any community member that successfully manages to bribe us with cookies gets the Cookie! badge (as displayed by elite former WarCry site manager, woot! community wrangler, and honorable friend of The Escapist Gatzby).

What's the mailing address for The Escapist anyway? I wanna send them this:

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or