EA Tweaking Mass Effect 3 to Appeal to Wider Market

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

According to EA's top man, the publisher is a huge believer in the Mass Effect franchise.

It came to light yesterday that Mass Effect 3 would not be coming out at the end of this year as was originally planned, and had slipped into early 2012. It seems now that part of that delay is down to EA and BioWare making changes to the game in order to get more people to buy it.

Speaking during a conference call for investors, EA CEO John Riccitiello said that BioWare was taking apart various elements of the Mass Effect experience and adjusting them to give the game a more broad market appeal. This effort, he said, would put the game in a genre that was "equivalent to shooter-meets-RPG." He said that EA was a huge believer in the IP, and wanted as many people to play Mass Effect 3 as possible.

This news has not gone down well in some quarters, with some already accusing EA of "dumbing down" the game, before it even comes out. The assumption seems to be that BioWare would focus on the shooter gameplay, and let the RPG elements fall by the wayside. It's important to remember, however, that this was a comment intended for investors, not gamers, so is undoubtedly lacking in context and detail.

BioWare's Casey Hudson may have previously stated that the combat in Mass Effect 3 would be the best in the series, but that doesn't automatically mean that it will come at the expense of the RPG side. With more than seven months to go before the game comes out, it's probably best to wait until we've seen something more than screenshots before we start making assumptions about the game.

Source: Eurogamer

Anytime someone working on the game says "shooter-meets-RPG", read it as: 'a shooter with dialog options'.

As if Mass Effect 2 wasn't dumbed down and turned into a first person shooter enough.

I'm all for change, really, but I seriously hope that it doesn't mean they're trying to Call of Duty-ize the game to get others to buy it.

Can anybody give me an example of when "tweaking to appeal to a wider market" did not mean "dumbing down"?

Logan Westbrook:

BioWare's Casey Hudson may have previously stated that the combat in Mass Effect 3 would be the best in the series, but that doesn't automatically mean that it will come at the expense of the RPG side.

Now you see, this is getting harder and harder to believe.

Mass Effect 1 was a great game, but a lot of the RPG elements were just massively tedious. Mass Effect 2 is such a better game because most of the tediousness was stripped out. I can't even play ME 1 anymore because it frustrates me so much in comparison to ME 2. So I'll reserve my judgement until I see ME 3 in action.

I can't help but be a little worried about this. I hope marketing won't come at the expense of the overall quality of the game, but you never can really tell.

I suppose Deus Ex was a shooter to, in a way.

MustardTiger:
I'm all for change, really, but I seriously hope that it doesn't mean they're trying to Call of Duty-ize the game to get others to buy it.

Yeah, I mean, it's not like they've said it or anything

If we all know that rageface laughing, picture that in your head as I type this (couldn't be arsed looking for a picture)

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Oh EA, you so silly

Captcha; Proc. toRome

THAT'S 3 WORDS _ Still.. time to process myself to rome?

I remember Casey Hudson specifically stating that ME3 was going to try and add some of the expansive feeling you got from ME1 without necessarily bringing back stuff like the inventory mess that was there.

Not that that won't stop the naysayers obviously. Heck, if even Portal 2 gets its day-one DLC detractors, why the heck shouldn't this game? *sigh*

Maybe I'm biased, because I love RPGs and FPSs, but I thought the combat in Mass Effect 2 was much better than that in Mass Effect 1.

The 'RPG' in the Mass Effect series has always been more about the role-playing and character development/interaction than it has been about statistics and randomly generated gear. As far as I'm concerned, that tedious crap can take a hike.

I flinch at the words 'broad market appeal', but in reality, this probably just means the shooting in the game will be more satisfying.

I hope that it's like a mutant love-child of ME1 and ME2. ME2 was pretty good, despite the changes. As long as Bioware still has control and EA doesn't take it too far, the chances look good (to me, at least)

So EA are trying something new things with ME3? I can see this ending up like Dragon Age 2...

But i welcome change, it's good to see developers trying new stuff in there games, lets just hope this isn't a bad thing...

Well shEAt.

I just hope there'll be enough game left after it is dumbed down in hopes to draw in the COD crowd to remain appealing to the existing fanbase.

Newsflash EA/Bioware: you do not experiment with the last part of a trilogy. There is already a public for it so all you need to do is iron out the wrinkles. It is to me very unlikely that there will be so many people interested in starting with ME3 to make it worth the risk of driving away the existing ME1/ME2 fans (again, since this already happened with the changes between ME1 and ME2 to an extent).

Logan Westbrook:
This news has not gone down well in some quarters, with some already accusing EA of "dumbing down" the game, before it even comes out. The assumption seems to be that BioWare would focus on the shooter gameplay, and let the RPG elements fall by the wayside. It's important to remember, however, that this was a comment intended for investors, not gamers, so is undoubtedly lacking in context and detail.

They did it with ME2. What possible reason do we have to believe they aren't doing it again?

There is no such thing as an instance of "broadening appeal" that doesn't mean dumbing down. Its that simple. Mass Effect 3 is dumbed down. Just say it EA. Sigh. ME1 was perfect. That is why it got so popular. Stop changing things that aren't broken.

EA, Do not repeat Command and Conquer 4. Don't do it.

They are busy "Dragon Age 2-fying" it.

If the idea of Space Ninjas doesn't already appeal to a wide enough market, EA is definitely trying too hard.

I thought Mass Effect 2 was already pretty popular. Must have been my mistake.

Seems to me that they are only dumbing the game down for the stockholders. As in, dumbing down the explanation of what Mass Effect 3 will actually be. Stockholders are hardly ever gamers and only invest money in it because of profits, kinda like explaining the internet to your grandparents.

Personally, I think Mass Effect 2 worked a lot better than Mass Effect. But it wasn't exactly a complex game, so this is a little bizarre.

Vaccine:

Anytime EA or Activision get their grubby little jew hands on it,

You should probably come and join the rest of us in the 21st Century. Its nice.

They may be changing it, but it's going to go to the same market. If no one has bought or played the first two, I don't think that thos people will buy this one, so appeal to whoever you want, you're probably gonna sell the same amount

Hmm this does not bode well. I will reserve my judgement until the demo is out, since that is essentially what a demo is for.

Still I am at heart a RPG fan, i understand why they wanted to remove some of those elements from ME1, and I though they had reached a fair middle ground with ME2. Anymore than that and you might as well remove the RPG part from the genre description.

P.S: To those saying it is ok because it is innovation, please reconsider. Appealing to a broad market is exactly the opposite of innovation. The broad market is plagued by CoD and BF clones, I like my online battleground as much as the next guy, but this isn't what this game is about.

Jordi:
Can anybody give me an example of when "tweaking to appeal to a wider market" did not mean "dumbing down"?

Can't help you there, buddy. That is in fact the case most of the time.

I swear, ever since EA bought Bioware, every single piece of news about an upcoming game I'm interested in seems designed to make me *less* interested in it.

koroem:
There is no such thing as an instance of "broadening appeal" that doesn't mean dumbing down.

Yes there is. All that sentence means is that they are aiming at a larger market, which could be done a number of different ways. In this example I'll be using the Street Fighter series.

SFIII sought to seek out a wider audience by stealing the thunder from faster pace games like KoF, Darkstalkers and Guilty Gear that were gaining momentum at the time. However this came much at the hardcore SFII's fan's dismay, this is true, but the idea was to bring in more people by taking elements from their competitors.

SFIII was not dumbed down but the goal was simply to bring in a wider audience. How successful they were is another issue in it's entirety.

Ah, another case of "let's try to get part of an imaginary audience" instead of "let's try and make the audience we do have happy"

I mean I guess that the first two games were complete failures. No one really liked them at all...right?

My prediction: They are making it more mainstream as it won't be as good as the original ones, so they need to attract a wider audience in order to get the same amount of money. I mean, it worked so well for Dragon Age 2...

i liked the way that ME2 played so why cant they just keep it

arrrrrgh... i didn't know it was delayed...

cant they just cannibalize it AFTER the trilogy is finished?

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess the reason this news isn't going down well is that they already freaking did this with Mass Effect 2 and it pissed a lot of hardcore RPG fans off. We said streamline the inventory system, they took it out completely. We said no more info-dumps. They barely let us talk to our companions. Honestly, I have no idea how the same company that makes the awesome, traditional RPGs like Dragon Age, Jade Empire, and Baldur's Gate could also make ME2.

The first game was great, I was super disappointed in the second one, and then they promised the third one would be more of an RPG again. If that's not the case, I'm probably leaving the franchise.

the number of people bitching about a game that isn't even finished yet is staggering, no matter what they do people will still play and enjoy the game, its a company that wants to make money, if they try and cater to a handful of people they arnt going to be in business for long (especially seeing as people are going to bitch regardless)

Saltyk:
I thought Mass Effect 2 was already pretty popular. Must have been my mistake.

It's not as popular as Call of Duty, though, which seems to be what Bioware is dedicated to making now. I don't know why they're even bothering with the 'RPG' pretense anymore.

This Bioware simply isn't the Bioware that made KOTOR anymore. It's time to accept that that Bioware is dead and gone, and that it's been replaced with an even lower-rent Treyarch. The remenants that were still trying to emulate that Bioware when DA and Mass Effect were made have moved on. It's time to permanately lower expectations of their general output to "eh, maybe if I see it in a bargin bin". Goodbye, Bioware. I'll miss you.

*sigh* this really doesn't tell us anything. Right from the beginning ME has been a shooter/rpg. I thought ME2 combat was vastly superior and much more fun than ME1 where I basically considered combat a chore that I only put up with for the dialogue and story but in ME2 the skills were...well more than a little bare boned which sucked.
I doubt it's going to get simplified anymore than ME2. They have already stated that the skill tree has been expanded and that weapon mods are coming back. Unlike vague marketing BS intended for investors you can't misinterpret that one. So I'd say it's going to at the least be better in that regard than ME2(provided its balanced) unless they decide to go back and gut all that and probably lose allot of their fan base (unlikely).
You can have both good rpg elements and compete with other TPS's and they likely improved both aspects this time. I would have thought if you wanted to nab a "larger market opportunity" you would want to keep both your shooter and rpg fans happy and I don't think aiming for a wider audience automatically means "dumbing down". The only thing I'm concerned about is that there may be too much shooty killy and not enough of everything else.

I still have some degree of faith in BioWare, after all they did give us SWKotOR and NWN. I trust they're not gonna fuck up the last part in my all-time favorite game series too bad.

EA on the other hand...eh. I always felt having wholly different companies dedicated to publishing games as just adding an unnecessary middleman. And EA must be the shittiest unnecessary middleman of them all.
EA, why can't you just let BioWare do what they wanna do and simply do what you're paid for instead of blackmailing everyone into making their stuff into what you want it to be.
What's that? Oh you say you make games too? Well fan-fucking-tastic.

That's not a good sign. O.o

At least they can't use the added development time to REMOVE elements, can they? ... CAN THEY?!

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here