Halo-Loving Modder Creates Portal: Reach

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Halo-Loving Modder Creates Portal: Reach

If SPARTAN Noble-6 and Chell had a baby, it would play games like this.

Halo: Reach had plenty of things to love, but one thing it didn't have was orange-and-blue portals that take you from Point A to Point B. Halo fan x7revorBlackx decided to do something about that.

Presumably using the level editor mod tools that shipped with Halo: Reach, he duct-taped together a level offering a rough approximation of what Halo might look like if the Covenant and UNSC forces started thinking with portals.

It's obviously not anywhere close to the real thing; the modder had to use the tools he was given, and Bungie didn't think to ship Reach with a portal gun. But a concussion rifle that places teleport markers when it blows up might just be the next best thing.

won't lie, that's kinda awesome :) I love modders and wish I were good enough to make one.

That was pretty cool, I'll give it a download.

That is pretty damn awesome.

Well... Modding and modding... Isent this just made using the build-in map and game-mode maker?

Not that it makes this any less awesome... To do this with the limitations there is, is only much much more awesome!^^

Cool. I really liked the part where he carried his momentum through the teleporters.

Very nice! I support Portals in Halo :D

that was pretty god damn awesome

very nice work

I approve

I'm anticipating a flood of downloads!

He's not a modder, he's a forger, you should probably change that.

Anyways, while what he did was, cool, it's not as cool as this:

Very impressive.

I have a Halo CE mod for this sort of thing kicking around somewhere...

OT: Do want. Do want very much.

Now you're thinking with high explosives... I mean portals...

That's quite a creative little mod he's made there.

Having said that, I think one's system would burst into flames if it tried to run Halo on the Source engine.

Very nice. People create some weird stuff using Forge mode.

sunami88:
Cool. I really liked the part where he carried his momentum through the teleporters.

Funnily enough they actually had that feature for the teleporters back in Halo 3.

Around 0:45 was my "holy fucking shit!" moment. I did not think momentum would be conserved between his impromptu portals.

He didn't use mod tools, and isn't really a modder. He's a forger, and used Reach's Forge mode to make this. Should probably fix that.

Which makes it more impressive. Since he used the Standard Forge Mode to its fullest, and didn't hack or mod anything. Pretty damn amazing.

wow awesome too bad there isnt a de-spawning option in halo

sunami88:

Yeah, playing with that momentum is really fun, especially when you teleport vehicles through them. I got a map, called "Waterslide", basically you drive a vehicle down a rap to a teleporter at the bottom, and it teleports you to the top, and you fall into it, and keep falling and falling, and you keep speeding up. Its hilariously awesome, and fun with lots of people.

I pitched to the Lead Game Designer to put in a Portal Gun into the game my team is currently working on. He denied my request.

I think Portal Guns should be in more games, maybe that why I'm not a Lead Designer yet.

Yes, because the one thing Portal was lacking was EXPLOSIONS! :-P
(Sorry, had to get that out... hopefully that's gone in the next version.)

Finally the Concussion Rifle is good for something.

Irridium:
He didn't use mod tools, and isn't really a modder. He's a forger, and used Reach's Forge mode to make this. Should probably fix that.

Which makes it more impressive. Since he used the Standard Forge Mode to its fullest, and didn't hack or mod anything. Pretty damn amazing.

"Forger" means nothing to people who don't know Halo in a headline. "Modder," while not 100% accurate, means more in a general sense.

See Everything is better with Portals. that just made the halo franchise that much better... Still waiting for someone to put a Portal Gun in a shooter.... maybe with one where you could make portals big enough so you can drive cars through it.

darkbshadow:
See Everything is better with Portals. that just made the halo franchise that much better... Still waiting for someone to put a Portal Gun in a shooter.... maybe with one where you could make portals big enough so you can drive cars through it.

... someone get to work on this RIGHT NOW!

seriously, if someone can make a game based entirely on the idea "hey what if this gun's bayonet was a chainsaw" I am pretty sure someone could create something pretty freaking sweet from the combat portal gun idea!

Jabberwock xeno:

Really? Who'd he rip off?

EDIT: Okay, read further in the thread. On a site frequented by a lot of people who don't play the game, he's a modder because I honestly thought you meant he ripped the work off somehow.

Back in the day, I was contributor to several megawads and TCs for Doom, and even a couple of ports. Now, if someone not part of the community asked me, I'd just say I contributed to Doom mods. Because I somehow doubt that someone who was in grade school when Doom came out knows the differences between a megawad, a TC, and a port.

Now get off my lawn.:)

Damn....that's pretty awesome. I'll have to find this and give it a download

Noble 6 and Chell? This 34 must exist somewhere!

John Funk:

Irridium:

"Forger" means nothing to people who don't know Halo in a headline. "Modder," while not 100% accurate, means more in a general sense.

Eh, true. But "Modder" give the impression that he had to use external means to get this to happen in the game.

So far as what I've seen... was just in Forge mode. Being creative using settings that came with the game on the disk normally.

Jabberwock xeno:

Anyways, while what he did was, cool, it's not as cool as this:

Modding. Its route is mod, for modifying. Forging is just a brand name for modifying (like band-aid for bandage). Hes a modder.

DazBurger:
Well... Modding and modding... Isent this just made using the build-in map and game-mode maker?

Not that it makes this any less awesome... To do this with the limitations there is, is only much much more awesome!^^

The random killer SPARTAN and the placing portals with a Concussion Rifle says otherwise.

Is it just me or has Halo: Reach the very last game on the planet to recieve a Portal mod?

Irridium:

Maybe you should explain why forge doesn't count as using mod tools? Seems pretty similar to me.

That is awesome, I assuming one can download it via the guy's fileshare.

PoisonUnagi:
Is it just me or has Halo: Reach the very last game on the planet to receive a Portal mod?

There always seems to be one person that has to point out something to try and bring the celebrating and wonderment down.

Who cares when it happened, it happened.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here