Games Now Legally Considered an Art Form (in the USA)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

It is only the first step in a long journey to interactive media's acceptance as an artistic medium.

CosmicCommander:
Oh, great! Now games can steal taxpayers money!

To be honest, this is what went through my mind as well. I've never really understood why the government feels the need to fund any sort of artistic endeavor, with money taken from someone who didn't necessarily want to give it in the first place, towards a cause that doesn't really effect said person.

I mean, I'm happy we're finally gaining some protection and legitimacy and all that, but still, it's always struck an odd nerve with me.

Took them long enough. Glad it happened near an election so as to take the wind out of the election season anti-videogame sails. Well, for as much as it could, that is.

I don't see how games can't be considered art anyway. "Art" is any form of human expression that does not relate to survival, therefore cannot be difined by opinions of others.

People get confused with art vs high-art all the time. This just had to remind them that art includes video games

It's about time. Great job guys!!!!

About time they caught up with everyone ...well here. Us nerds...D:

Finally games are getting the recognition they deserve

RedEyesBlackGamer:
Being recognized as an "official" art form would prevent this MA sales nonsense.

It doesn't work that way; first of all, there is no such thing as an "official" art form under US law. All this NEA thing did was open up a grant to a few more people. Second, I'm going to repost the miller test. The miller test looks for:

Whether "the average person, applying contemporary community standards", would find that the work, taken as a whole, appeals to the prurient interest,

Whether the work depicts/describes, in a patently offensive way, sexual conduct specifically defined by applicable state law,

Whether the work, taken as a whole, lacks serious literary, artistic, political or scientific value.

As you can see, the merits of the medium as a whole aren't taken into account at all; any case to censor a piece of media has do be aimed at that example and that example only. The supreme court case really has nothing to do with this form of censorship, and it would be the upset of the century if they didn't rule the California law unconstitutional.

WolfEdge:

CosmicCommander:

To be honest, this is what went through my mind as well. I've never really understood why the government feels the need to fund any sort of artistic endeavor, with money taken from someone who didn't necessarily want to give it in the first place, towards a cause that doesn't really effect said person.

I mean, I'm happy we're finally gaining some protection and legitimacy and all that, but still, it's always struck an odd nerve with me.

Creativity and art are part of a healthy and free thinking society. Only .003% of the national budget goes to fund the arts, so it's not like they're making away like bandits

For example, American creativite thinking has decreased for the first time since they started measuring it.

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/07/10/the-creativity-crisis.html

If it's accepted in the USA then it's basically accepted here in Canada. It's great to see video games advance in society as an art form, heres to a brighter future in gaming!

This SHOULD go hand in hand with all games being available to all ages. A 6 year old can be trotted in front of David's wingus, but a 15 year old can't buy a game with the "F word" in it.
Come on Canada.

Nurb:

WolfEdge:

CosmicCommander:

Creativity and art are part of a healthy and free thinking society. Only .003% of the national budget goes to fund the arts, so it's not like they're making away like bandits

For example, American creativite thinking has decreased for the first time since they started measuring it.

Still though, there MUST be a better way to support the arts without forcing those values on another person who may not share those ideas, as that just seems so heavy-handed in a society that claims individual freedom. Charities and auctions, for a start, so the donors could have some say in how and where the money goes, without bothering someone who doesn't want involvement.

All I can say is (despite being British):-

Americaaaaa, FUCK YEAH!!!

WolfEdge:

Still though, there MUST be a better way to support the arts without forcing those values on another person who may not share those ideas, as that just seems so heavy-handed in a society that claims individual freedom. Charities and auctions, for a start, so the donors could have some say in how and where the money goes, without bothering someone who doesn't want involvement.

Sure, as soon as you figure out a way for me not to have to give taxes for bombs and cruise missiles, or for roads to places I don't live.

WolfEdge:

Nurb:

WolfEdge:

We don't all share the same political opinions but we pay taxes in order to support a place where they can be freely exchanged. It may not seem like it, but art plays an important part in fostering free thinking, and it's one of the only things about ourselves that isn't all about "What can you offer me?", where the only value we have is labor for someone else.

Does this mean I can FINALLY get my family to agree with me that I'm not wasting my life and 'artistic talent' by getting into game design?

Is it just me that thinks while yes this will be good for the supremem court case that if the supreme court so wished they could murder this too? They could rule in CA's favour then you can bet your asses this would be reversed asap.

That is kinda cool, even if it probably won't mean much practically.

This is amazing! Finally some official recognition outside of the gaming industry. I cannot wait to see when a developer takes advantage of this opportunity.

Your move, Ebert

'Bout time. Chika chika yeah... sorry.

MirrorForTheSun:

WolfEdge:

Sure, as soon as you figure out a way for me not to have to give taxes for bombs and cruise missiles, or for roads to places I don't live.

While I can't really speak for "cruise missiles", roads fall under state taxes, so, while it may not be perfect, that tax is a least localized to some extent, and could be argued holds some direct benefit to you.

Nurb:

WolfEdge:

Nurb:

We don't all share the same political opinions but we pay taxes in order to support a place where they can be freely exchanged. It may not seem like it, but art plays an important part in fostering free thinking, and it's one of the only things about ourselves that isn't all about "What can you offer me?", where the only value we have is labor for someone else.

I can agree that art fosters free thought, but the the forced subjugation of others to export those thoughts greatly muddles that particular message. It's forcing someone else to, not just except something they potentially don't agree with, but to actively support it through funding they don't necessarily want to give. If free thinking and free will are TRULY free, if these are things which belong to ALL individuals and not just some, then why do we feel the need to force these morals on those who don't agree with them?

And so, slowly but surely, we claw our way from the depths and make ourselves known to the world! Hurray for us!

Dango:
I still don't really get why everyone thinks games have to be art.

Its to do with this Californian legal case. I'm sure the games as art debate wouldn't get 1/10th the airing it currently does without that case going on.

In short gamers don't really care if other people think of games as art or not, but they sure do care if they start making detrimental laws on the basis that they're not art.

WolfEdge:

Nurb:

I can agree that art fosters free thought, but the the forced subjugation of others to export those thoughts greatly muddles that particular message. It's forcing someone else to, not just except something they potentially don't agree with, but to actively support it through funding they don't necessarily want to give. If free thinking and free will are TRULY free, if these are things which belong to ALL individuals and not just some, then why do we feel the need to force these morals on those who don't agree with them?

It's one of those things where it's for the good of the country as a whole even if you don't agree with everything it does like the FDA and EPA. I don't want my tax money going to fund two wars that shouldn't be going on, but I don't want it to go away completely or to spend the money it does on them.

We need it, but we can adjust how much we need it, and we're talking small potatos compared to what else money goes to.

" US government organization-slash-program which funds artistic projects around the country "

An unwitting (?) pun on your part, Mr. Funk. Right-wingers have been, for decades, trying to cut its funds or kill the NEA entirely. Here's to hoping they never succeed (right now they're going after PBS)

I think Duke said it best "HELL, IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!"

We just opened a bottle of bubbly done here...too much? Maybe...but everyone else has been happy celebrating a royal wedding and the death of the world's most wanted man. LET ME HAVE THIS MOMENT OF NERD VICTORY!!! <glugs the champagne>

Nurb:

WolfEdge:

Nurb:

It's one of those things where it's for the good of the country as a whole even if you don't agree with everything it does like the FDA and EPA. I don't want my tax money going to fund two wars that shouldn't be going on, but I don't want it to go away completely or to spend the money it does on them.

We need it, but we can adjust how much we need it, and we're talking small potatos compared to what else money goes to.

I can except that. I suppose I'm just overtly sensitive about this this particular issue because I'm so heavily invested in the artistic community as it is, and this particular form of injustice hits closer to home than others.

Yes! This is a day of celebration! Cheese for everyone!

More Artistic games FTW! I seriously hope this leads to a boom in mature, but fun Indie games!

Federal government... can we thank Obama for this?

"Not only is $200k laughably small to the sort of money that goes into your average Call of Duty or Portal"

I don't know. Take out the cost of marketing, licensing, and stick to amateur/pro-bono voice and music talent you can do a lot with $200k especially if the game is released for free on XBLA/PSN/Steam as a non-profit artistic gesture.

PINKYPIE APPROVES!

Dango:

binvjoh:
Can I get a hell yes?

Dango:
I still don't really get why everyone thinks games have to be art.

I don't think it's as much about being considered art as it's about getting some sort of recognition of the value as a serious part of society.

You know that's the first convincing argument I've heard so far.

I just don't think we have to force ourselves into another medium in order to be accepted.

"Art" isn't a medium.

"Art" is something that is expressed through a medium.

Games have always been art. This is simply a step towards cultural acceptance of that fact. We're not changing anything about what a game is.

i dont think you people understand how big this is in the US. this basically means that games can not be censored.

I agree with the concept of giving devs of weird indie games a chance to eat non-ramen edible objects. Since there are so many free games out there, there's nowhere to go but up.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here