Modern Warfare 3 Teased for June Announcement

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Modern Warfare 3 Teased for June Announcement

Activision's next Modern Warfare money machine will likely be announced soon.

Everybody knows that Activision is working on Modern Warfare 3, it's just a matter of when the publisher decides to announce it. According to a teaser page in the latest issue of OPM, that announcement will be made in early June, and probably at E3.

Due to the legalities of posting a picture of a scanned magazine, the teaser is not present in this article. However, I can describe it pretty well for you. It's a big-ass green "3" on a black background. A quote below the "3" says: "The biggest game in the world returns." If this page is not referring to Modern Warfare 3, someone at OPM needs to be flung into space and I'll eat my hat.

The issue goes on sale on June 8. E3 2011 runs from June 7-9. Basically, this could mean that Modern Warfare 3 is going to be announced and shown off at E3. Are you excited yet?

Activision puts out a Call of Duty game every year because each release earns the publisher an entire vault of those bags with dollar signs on them full of cash. November 2010's Call of Duty: Black Ops was estimated to have generated $360 million on its release day alone. Modern Warfare 3 has the potential to replicate this figure, or possibly put it to shame. That's if it's actually launching in 2011, which isn't yet confirmed.

Notably, this will be the first Modern Warfare title to have been developed without the founding members of Infinity Ward at the helm. Infinity Ward created the Call of Duty series, though Activision handed it off to Treyarch to keep the games flowing yearly with titles such as Black Ops and Call of Duty: World at War. Infinity Ward was decimated in 2010 by many, many departures after company founders Jason West and Vince Zampella were fired in a big to-do, though the studio is still said to be a part of Activision's stable.

Modern Warfare 3 is rumored to be a prequel focusing on popular character Simon "Ghost" Riley, and possibly a team effort by the remains of Infinity Ward, Sledgehammer, and Raven Software. In about a month, we should know for sure.

Source: Gamekyo

I foresee it being a cod game and not being as impressive looking as battlefield 3

I mean do reveals really matter for cod games? everyone knows when they come out, they come out the same time every year and so far they have all looked pretty similar and had almost the same gameplay

Well obviously it's CoD, hopefully they'll try and mix it up a bit this year.

Nah.

And here i was, kidding myself that the FPS genre would have a good year.

I wonder if they'll raise the price of the map packs with this one, since they did between World at War and MW2. Hmm... actually, I wonder how much they will get up to before the series dies...

so this not just going to be cod but cod done in patchwork? yeah because that always works out well.

I'm really looking forward to this, can't wait to see how it all plays out for Price and the boys :)

Inevitable yet happy news, I hope that the developer shake-up will help move the game forward slightly from MW2's rather stagnant and overblown offering.

As long as there is a Co-op mode of some type I will buy it. MW2 sucked big donkey but the Co-op was awesome.

Hmm... Crazy idea, but just go with me here.

The new CoD is announced at E3 for November 2012 so they can put as much polish into it as possible, as they will be retiring the name afterword. Not only that, but the setting is in the near-ish future instead of the modern day.

Tom Goldman:
That's if it's actually launching in 2011, which isn't yet confirmed.

Might as well be confirmed, the chances of the COD series skipping a yearly release are probably roughly on par with the chances of the U.S. being conquered by Switzerland this year :-P

Oh goodie.
Another one.

Not even gonna bother even looking at it, the series died with Cod 5.

Tom Goldman:

Modern Warfare 3 is rumored to be a prequel focusing on popular character Simon "Ghost" Riley

A prequel? Wait, what?!

But what about the whole Makarov thingy?! You can't just leave that behind and do something else!!

I sure, hope that rumour is false -_-

Bah, won't be the same.

JoJoDeathunter:

Tom Goldman:
That's if it's actually launching in 2011, which isn't yet confirmed.

Might as well be confirmed, the chances of the COD series skipping a yearly release are probably roughly on par with the chances of the U.S. being conquered by Switzerland this year :-P

The Swiss are mad people, you should see their navy!

A plot, A plot!
My kingdom for a Plot!

Tom Goldman:
Modern Warfare 3 is rumored to be a prequel focusing on popular character Simon "Ghost" Riley,

I sťance that people won't be too happy with this idea.

Don't know if this against the rules here or not, but to anyone interested, I'm going to post the picture:

Meh, not really interested. Battlefield 3 on the other hand....

I'll probably end up buying it, but as with all COD games of current times I doubt I'll play it much. Hopefully they get some decent writers on board, it's not like they can't afford to.

GeneticallyModifiedDucks:
Don't know if this against the rules here or not, but to anyone interested, I'm going to post the picture:

Fixed it for ya :D

MiracleOfSound:
I'm really looking forward to this, can't wait to see how it all plays out for Price and the boys :)

Yup. MW2's campaign was great fun, and I can't wait for this one.

Yeah, I saw the massive 3 which said "THE WORLDS BIGGEST GAME RETURNS" and instantly knew it was CoD

for the love of god Activision if you want to keep your fans, please do something different with your series.

And the countdown to quickscopers begins...wonder what else people are going to exploit for meaningless points first.

A prequel?

A fucking prequel to a game that ended on a cliffhanger! What the hell is going on over at camp we-no-longer-care-about-our-fans?!

Okay, okay, whew, calm down, just speculation. But if it is a prequel, I'll have a hard time justifying paying the artificially-inflated price for it.

A prequel? That seems likely, considering there's still the whole unresolved issue of Soap & Price being wanted and on the run, Makarov being still at large and the US and Russia basically being in a full scale shooting war. Unless they're milking it out and saving that for Modern Warfare 4... Wouldn't surprise me.

Eh. I don't care anyway. The last Call of Duty I liked was World at War. I'm far more interested in Battlefield 3.

Ephraim J. Witchwood:

announced at E3 for November 2012 so they can put as much polish into it as possible

This is possibly the funniest thing i've read all week. Well done.

Ephraim J. Witchwood:
Hmm... Crazy idea, but just go with me here.

The new CoD is announced at E3 for November 2012 so they can put as much polish into it as possible, as they will be retiring the name afterword. Not only that, but the setting is in the near-ish future instead of the modern day.

Retiring the name?

Ha, no.

Yay! more ass-rape for zero punctuation.

I actually want to play this for the campaign, if nothing else. It seems I'm in the small, small minority...

Zenode:
Yeah, I saw the massive 3 which said "THE WORLDS BIGGEST GAME RETURNS" and instantly knew it was CoD

for the love of god Activision if you want to keep your fans, please do something different with your series.

If they can do the same thing every year and sell millions more than the last installment, why would they change?

Doesn't matter how much the hype it or how big the reveal is.

I ain't buying it.

all the kids will eat this shit up hence why itll be a big release... come on BF3.

Infinity Wards gutting will be the death of Modern Warfare. You heard it here first. You just cannot get a good quality game when you have 3 different developers working on it, especially when one of them is as average a developer as Raven.

Well good for them, i suppose.

...unless "biggest game in the world" means another game...
Hmm...I'm pretty sure some game was about 30Gb big, that's pretty big. But what's THE BIGGEST?

Jonny49:
A prequel? Wait, what?!

But what about the whole Makarov thingy?! You can't just leave that behind and do something else!!

I sure, hope that rumour is false -_-

Isn't it obvious? If it turns out to be true then it's just Activision prolonging the Modern Warfare brand because they know all the fanboys will keep buying it until they have no money left to the their names.

OT: Might as well get it over with, the sooner it's released the sooner we can all forget about it until the next milking of the cash cow takes place.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here