Newell: Valve to Replace Single-Player With "Single-Player Plus"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

I don't see the point in DotA 2.

Heroes of Newerth and League of Legends both cover practically everything you'd ever need for that game. HoN has a sizable portion of the original DotA's heroes, with a fair amount of its own thrown in, it has reconnect features, a matchmaking system and the lot.

What could DotA 2 offer that the other games haven't done already? Really pointless affair imo. Better spent on Episode 3!

hahaha oh wow

this is why episode 3 will never get made

I play games as a form of escapism, and if it is a single-player game, I want to be concentrated on that and that alone, no friends bothering me about it constantly. If there is an option in a game to play a co-op campaign with friends, I will always choose to go it single player first, and then maybe co-op after I finish that.

I think i hate the future. In general, this is just a little bit of bonus icing. There are things single player is good at, and there are things multiplayer is good at, but the two can't mix. Single player games don't need social features. Lets face it, facebook and other networks aren't about sharing. From the point of view of the companies who want to employ it, facebook is about free viral advertising and data mining. If they just said so i might be inclined to shrug and let it go.

Gabe Newell:
every gamer has a Facebook account.

HAHAHAHAHHAHA!

NO!!!

am i the only one who does get a heart attack in excitement every time coop or some social connecting thing for singleplayer is announced?
playing games in single player is like reading a book, i prefer to do it alone to preserve the experience. Plus i was never a coop guy, i prefer to shoot people in the face or act as part of team but just teaming up with one of my buddies never appealed to me, it's either me on my own or with a bunch of friends.

What if I enjoy playing games completely alone? Nowadays everything has to be connected to one another...you have to be available for others all the time. It is exhausting, to be frank. Let me enjoy my games in peace and quiet if I wish to.

As long as they make games that I can enjoy BY MYSELF, as in NOT require other dipshits to play with me, I see no problem with this.

As long as the single player budget and development time does not suffer, im more than okay with this...

It's just more content! But seriously, don't cut down on the one thing you have proven to be the masters of!

And DOTA 2 is the next planned release?

You're ALL missing the point. All thats really been announced is Co-Op all around and more social aspects if you WANT them. There not forcing Co-Op or Facebook on any of socially lacking amongst us. Stop being so paranoid seriously.

Christ, the forums really have been easily angered recently.

I find it hard to believe Valve's new feature will make it mandatory to talk to your friends while playing a game. If you don't like the feature, I see no reason why you can't just ignore it.

I'd tend to disagree with how they're seeing it - whilst I can see where they're coming from, what with all games made by them being distributed by Steam which has its own Community features (IM, profiles, whatnot), I personally don't use them much when i'm playing a single-player game. Immersion is pretty important for me, I don't necessarily want to be talking to someone whilst i'm playing a good immersive single-player game- for things like TF2, then go ahead.

Kevlar Eater:
More multiplayer bullshit.

I feel like a relic nowadays.

Me too.
When I'm immersed in a single-player game, interacting with people is the last thing on my mind.

OhJohnNo:
I find it hard to believe Valve's new feature will make it mandatory to talk to your friends while playing a game. If you don't like the feature, I see no reason why you can't just ignore it.

Curious idea :)

Oooh Can I be an NPC for other players?

"Hello there Dr. Freeman"

I despise playing single player campaigns when others are around or with chat available, it completely kills immersion for me unless I tune them out, and in that case I may as well play it alone.

As long as you can ignore it I'm cool. There's nothing wrong with adding more options, as long as Facebook-less people like me don't have to bother with it all. I just want my solitary singleplayer experience thank you very much. No need for all the social mumbojumbo, I'll get that with my clan in proper multiplayer games.

Kevlar Eater:

Have you even read the article? It's about social connectivity. Judging by their description you have to think about auto-uploading some kind of blog post thing to your Facebook account, intergrating screenshots, chat functions and achievements with social media. Maybe insta-join co-op modes, but that's stretching the meaning of this article.

danhere:
The only problem here is that they will then be a game developer, a digital distributor, and a significantly large social network. Good for them, but bad for competition.

Then again, they're not stopping other people from trying to do it better.

As long as it's all optional, I don't really care. Annoying my facebook friends with constant updates on my progress in a single player game does not sound like fun.

Bloodstain:
What if I enjoy playing games completely alone? Nowadays everything has to be connected to one another...you have to be available for others all the time. It is exhausting, to be frank. Let me enjoy my games in peace and quiet if I wish to.

Levethian:

Kevlar Eater:

Me too.
When I'm immersed in a single-player game, interacting with people is the last thing on my mind.

I agree. I don't get why everything has to be connected to a social network, just let me play SP games alone if i want to.

Every gamer is instant messaging

eeyup, IM a lot to :p

every gamer has a Facebook account.

bull, fucking, shit. not only do i not have a failbook account, i'm never gonna :D

but meh to this i say, i like my single player games thank you very much

I'm still kinda confused on the whole thing, but from the gist of it, I don't really have a problem with it and can't really say anything about the actual product until I've seen how it's implemented. However, I will say that it seems pretty pointless. I mean really, must everything have this stupid social-crap implemented? Everything either connects to your Facebook or automatically updates your Twitter, and it's simply has no purpose what-so-ever. Plus, the statements about ever gamer messaging and having a Facebook...Alright everyone! Sync up! *tactical face palm in 3...2...1..* http://www.kaijuphile.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=59&pictureid=785 Not everyone, let alone gamers, use Facebook, send instant messages, or need more social interactions to enjoy a game. That right there is just grade A bullshit and I don't really need that in my game unless it's optional. I just don't want it to take away development from of gameplay or interfere with my gameplay.

I will admit, I never gave a damn about MySpace, Twitter is completely fucking retarded, but I do have a Facebook and don't really have a problem with it. Yes, the point of all these sites is to give people the idea others actually give a damn about their overall meaningless daily lives...and I see no problem with that. I just use the site to keep up with people I know, which I believe they've stated on the login page. Do I care what people post...sometimes yes and others no. Sometimes someone will post a joke, update on something, or simply say something that fancies my interest than yeah, I kinda care about it. If they post something irrelevant that has no actual point to it and is simply meaningless...than I just keep scrolling and pay it no mind. If they like this, downloaded that, or dowhatever...good for them. Don't fucking piss yourself over it. As for the accessing of cookies and a few thousand advertisements...THAT is something to be pissed off about and is definitely something I don't want to see in my single-player experience.

I think I've gotten a bit off topic and have dragged this on a bit, so I'll just finish here: If it's optional, add it in for those who want it. Though it is entirely pointless, I can live with it as long as it doesn't detract from the development of the single-player or truly effect my single-player experience.

zehydra:

Dansrage:
"Every gamer has facebook account"

That sentance is everything that's wrong with gaming today.

yeah, that sentence definitely rubbed me the wrong way. I'm not sure if this is what he means, but please don't turn your games into some kind of single-player game with some cheap farmville aspect slapped on.

I agree as well, that sentence was one thing I'd really have to disagree with. Every gamer is a very broad, very ignorant statement. Sure the chances of a gamer having a Facebook account is good, but thats where I draw the line.

I got a dummy account, that I use for the occasional thing here or there, games that give something for a game coming out, but I've done that for only... 1, maybe 2 games at most. In no way though, will I ever use it just because a game has facebook built in, much less make an account for it.

You want my idea of single-player plus? Demon's Souls. You can go through the entire game without actually interacting directly with players, but you can come across messages, bloodstains, and random flashes of others. And if you ever do require help, you can summon players up, its random though so who knows who you'll get, and its temporary at best. Players can even be turned into a boss to be fought in a certain stage, and not always by choice. Its kept minimalistic yet meaningful.

This really makes that scream Vader makes at the end of Revenge of the Sith quite appropriate (in my head any ways)

There'll be another "Valve" in Europe or Asia or somewhere else. In fact, there already is (Stalker, Metro, Mafia, etc). If they want to give up the title of SP kings, that's fine; someone else will take their place. We'll still have Half-Life to remind us of time when Valve used to be creative without relying on users' input.

wait what

Ragsnstitches:
My GOD people... what the hell?

He said, pretty clearly, there will be "SINGLE-PLAYER"... not multi-player or Co-op, but SINGLE PLAYER!

What I believe he meant was further exploiting the steam interface so that it allow you to Integrate games and the social platform they provide. This is distinct from the current setup in that its not just a glorified DRM with bonus game cataloguing and friends list.

Things like Time trial ladders in Single player, or achievement hunts... and of course, extra Co-op and competitive features.

The single player will be there, standing on its own legs, supporting its own weight... but will have a fully integrate social system that you can choose to embrace or ignore.

Jesus... say boo on this forum and people think you killed all their most loved relatives.

I'm in agreement. Its just them giving people the option to integrate the social aspects of their lives with, what is usually cosidered, the more non-social aspects, not mandatory multiplayer. The entire community always pulls this shit when ever Valve tries something new to please their fans, be it including customizable apparel or making ANY game other than a Half-life sequel.

When did gaming become social?

Ya know...beyond the racist bigot children screaming curse words...

I play Single Player games to be....idk...Single...alone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E2hYDIFDIU

Demon's Souls integrated multiplayer really did work actually, innovative in fact.

Lt. Vinciti:

...ever hear of split-screen co-op?

I don't think replace the single player with multiplayer is a good thing,
these are totally different experiences.

ZeroG131:

Lt. Vinciti:

...ever hear of split-screen co-op?

Hardly exsists in the modern era of gaming...

Why I liked my N64 and such....

Yeah you can say "Those weird co-op missions in MW2 or the L4D2 co-op"

But those are few and far between

Bollocks. This is just a way to justify "always on" DRM for a single player game.

I also don't have an FB account and don't IM.

I play a lot of games, and I don't use Facebook or Messenger. I love me some co-op, but other than that I'm anti-social online.

Edit: splitscreen couch co-op is the only MP I like on consoles, so I hope it's not dying out.

so can I get co-op on half life arcade?

Dansrage:
"Every gamer has facebook account"

That sentance is everything that's wrong with gaming today.

Amen to that.
Seriously, they'll put me in the ground before I sign up with Facebook. Screw you, Zuckerberg.

Oh well, luckily Valve is largely uninteresting for me as a developer, with the possible exception of Portal. So long as Steam remains the way it is, fine. It's sad, though - Valve are going to alienate a lot of their clientele with this move, I believe, especially the SP crowd.

...Uh.

Nearly EVERYBODY in this thread is angry.

Why?

All they are saying is that in additon to single player, there will be multiplayer?

How is this bad? Don't tell me it will mean that they will spend less time on the single player mode, this is VALVE we are talking about.

Multiplayer will be OPTIONAL, though you'd probably be missing out.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here