Newell: Valve to Replace Single-Player With "Single-Player Plus"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Well all these options should be optional, I mean COMPLETELY optional. There shouldn't be one item that I can't get, one hat that I can't get or any advantage that is available in the game that I can't get without linking facebook or getting X friends to like or join. That stuff is REALLY REALLY REALLY annoying.

9_6:

ADAMANTIUM RAGE.

ADAMANTIUM RAGE! *punches a Sega Genesis/Master System*

:P

*high fives you*

OT:

So, basically:

A multiplayer game by any other name?

"every gamer has a Facebook account"

Why valve? Just... why?

Please, get Episode 3 done then you're free to follow whatever crazy schemes you like.

Sorry, had to be done.

Ahh, The Escapist. Pessimism at its best.

Nowhere did he mention that any of that is going to be mandatory. It just said that it will focus on single player plus additional features. I'm pretty sure that Valve aren't dumb enough to force these on the player. I mean, come on guys, this is Valve we're talking about - they make good games - mostly because of good design choices.

Can we not throw a massive shitstorm every time a company makes any sort of an announcement?

Oh god, the shitstorm really hit the fan this time, so instead of spending time on games that are several years behind schedule you will be working on facebook connections... well that's what we always wanted :S

I never felt "This game would be so much better if I could connect my facebook account to it and tell everybody I just murdered tons of defenseless people and children by blowing up the nuclear bomb in Megaton." Apparently, I was wrong.

Oh well, I'll file this statement of his under "PS3 is not worth jack".

Ophiuchus:

Gabe Newell clears up the situation by saying: "What we're trying to talk about is the fact that, not that we're not doing single-player games ... It's more that we think we have to work harder in the future, that entertainment is inherently increased in value by having it be social, by letting you play with your friends and recognizing that you're connected with other people. That's the thing we're trying to say."

No. No it isn't. At all.

Can someone please explain this thinking? What's wrong with a fully single-player experience?

It's because apparently it's abnormal as hell to want to be left alone for five fucking minutes.

My list of friends is extremely low as most people I talk to are unworthy of my time. It's not because I think I'm important or awesome either. It's most people I bump into are insanely immoral, selfish, stupid twats.

Wooo DotA 2! About time they release this game.

NickCooley:
You're ALL missing the point. All thats really been announced is Co-Op all around and more social aspects if you WANT them. There not forcing Co-Op or Facebook on any of socially lacking amongst us. Stop being so paranoid seriously.

That what they said about multi player and now a lot of games suffers from a half-ass single player. Remember always expect the worst that way you are never disappointed.

TheRealCJ:
God no. I can't think of anything worse!

I play single player games because I HAVE no connected friends. I only have about 2 irl friends on Steam. The rest are either console players or aren't gamers.

Hell, I haven't even played the Portal 2 co-op yet, because my choices are that limited.

Dont get me wrong, I like multiplayer, but a multiplayer game where I can just dive right in and play, with having to "know somebody".

Wanna do Co-op with me? :D

I hate when game companies try to make me socialize with people. I play video games BECAUSE I don't want to be out socializing with people.

I don't quite get it. I'm so in the dark on what this "Single Player Plus" is. A single player game where friends can hop in and play with you? I'm confused.

KFalcon:
I agree. I don't get why everything has to be connected to a social network, just let me play SP games alone if i want to.

Plus, many games become good because you are completely alone. To name some Valve games, Portal and the Ravenholm chapter in Half-Life 2.

Raiyan 1.0:

Sorry, had to be done.

Maybe you've missed the article in the first post that, you know, states that something is about to change.
Perhaps you should read it if you're not sure what people might be upset about.

Dansrage:
"Every gamer has facebook account"

That sentence is everything that's wrong with gaming today.

I just wanted to quote this for emphasis, because it is oh-so true...

Reminds me so much of this:

9_6:

Maybe you've missed the article in the first post that, you know, states that something is about to change.
Perhaps you should read it if you're not sure what people might be upset about.

SirBryghtside:
/facepalm

Explain to me this - why would they say Portal 2 was the last of its sort if the new stuff is going to be the same?

The fact is Valve has always brought changes to its multiplayer formulae - ranging from TF2 to L4D. So far, they have held a pretty good record of not fucking up. And none of those new features have ruined any of Valve's single player experiences. So why all this sudden pessimism?

I'm a gamer and I don't have a facebook account and won't create one ever. Shove your social shit where the sun don't shine, Newell.

. . . Not everything's better with chocolate.

Kevlar Eater:
More multiplayer bullshit.

I feel like a relic nowadays.

I know how you feel. Sauerbraten did the exact same thing, they just dropped singleplayer almost entirely when Trooper edition came around. The weird thing is, they also dropped about 6 multiplayer gamemodes, the fucking awesome gun and player models, and pretty much everything good about the game.
And then they added ragdoll animations. And tried to pull it off as a worthy compensation >.>

TRANSLATION:
"It's hard to sell people useless cosmetic dlc when nobody else is there to ogle at your vast disposable income."

Ophiuchus:

Gabe Newell clears up the situation by saying: "What we're trying to talk about is the fact that, not that we're not doing single-player games ... It's more that we think we have to work harder in the future, that entertainment is inherently increased in value by having it be social, by letting you play with your friends and recognizing that you're connected with other people. That's the thing we're trying to say."

No. No it isn't. At all.

Can someone please explain this thinking? What's wrong with a fully single-player experience?

Yeah, my favorite genre is RPGs. I do not want to be in contact with someone while playing one.

I have a Facebook account that I only used... never? I think I was bored and wanted to look for a profile of someone from my class. But everything I wanted to know was already on a Polish social networking site, which I also use rarely for interactions with classmates after school.

LEAVE MY SINGLE PLAYER GAMES ALONE, BAD ENOUGH I CAN'T PLAY HALF OF THEM WITHOUT INTERNET CONNECTION!

Then turn the feature the fuck off then. Stop acting like its going to be mandatory. "What!? Ill have the option to talk to people if I WANT TO?! OMG VALVE IS GOING TO SHIT. I HATE PEOPLE!"... All these other Developers are pulling some serious bullshit, but for some reason everyone is looking at Valve like they just murdered a kitten because of small Micro-transaction hats and wanting to give the option of integrating steams social functions more.

fozzy360:
Jesus Christ you people, get your head of your collective asses. Gabe isn't saying that he'll force Facebook and IM and Twiiter down your throat while you play single-player. Read the story again, and this time, carefully. He is merely using Facebook as a point by saying that most people nowadays are integrated into these social sites. That's a fucking given. People like social integration, and Valve wants to find ways to bring to the table but still deliver single-player experiences. How the hell did anybody here get that Facebook was going to shoved in your face while you play Valve games? Nowhere does he say this. Nowhere.

When did this community turn into a bunch of whiny, jump-the-gun babies who don't read the stories they whine about?

Well said. I also feel a bit left in the dark about it like TheYellowCellPhone, but when I hear "Social single player experience" I think the sole reason why I got a console. The ability to bring your friends in a single player experience. Co-op.

IMO, Everything is better with the inclusion of Co-op.

Kevlar Eater:
More multiplayer bullshit.

I feel like a relic nowadays.

Likewise.
I don't mind games having co-op potential, but unless said games are made with co-op in mind you end up with serious balance issues.

There's something to be said for the potential of atmosphere in a single player game. The main reason I like the Half Life 2 games is primarily because of the level design and how things are squirreled away.

Not even someone else on PSN? Remember nobody on PSN has had the ability to play online co-op

I resent the comment that all gamers have Facebook. A lot of us are anti-social dickheads that equates Facebook to the plague, myself included. Otherwise, great.

And after that they'll invent Singleplayer DLC ! oh right! it's already made...

Just have an option to make it minus.

I don't have FaceBook, his statement is false. (Insert cake meme in here)

"Single-player is great, but..."

Flexo's great, you say?

I'm cool with dev's using stuff like facebook to organize something like an advertisement campaign. That's a good avenue for that.

But call me skeptical about integrating stuff with facebook into the retail game itself... but that's just speculation. Maybe we're all getting worried over nothing and Valve has some awesome system in mind that walks all over facebook.

I like this. One thing I love about Left4Dead is the component where you can go in by yourself, and over time if friends want to join they can just hop in and lend a hand in dealing with pesky tanks. Of course stopping to send a chat is a bit hairy, but that can illustrate the fun of texting while a jockey is humping your face.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here