French TV Show Creates Bin Laden/Mario Parody

Pages 1 2 NEXT

French TV Show Creates Bin Laden/Mario Parody

Get yourself ready for shock, awe, and terrorist Goombas with turbans on.

The French TV show, Tout le monde il est Beau, has used everyone's favorite plumber as the base for its satirical look at the recent discovery and death of Al-Qaeda leader, Osama Bin Laden.

The parody, entitled "Super President Brothers: The Hunt for Bowser Laden," starts with the "Bowser Laden" attacking the Twin Towers - or the "Mario-ified" equivalent of them - and then going into hiding. The job falls to "Mario Bush," who later transforms into "Mario Bama," to hunt him down and stop him. It's well done, but as parodies goes, it's not exactly amazingly original. Let's face it, its overarching statement - that the US used an excessive amount of force in the search for Bin Laden - isn't exactly a new idea.

There are plenty of elements lifted straight from the Mario games themselves, but they've all been tweaked to serve the parody. For example, the enemy Koopa Troopers now have beards and guns, and the mushroom that turns Mario Bush into Mario Bama has the stars and stripes on it. It does, however, speak to the worldwide cultural impact of the Mario games, when something like this gets greenlit for consumption by the general public.

Source: Go Nintendo

This pretty much trivializes the whole war. I'm opposed to the whole war, but a lot of people died.

Too soon guys. Too soon

While I on the other hand love it. Satire at it's best.

first part, super offensive, second part, super funny.

satire is just so much more funny when it hits close enough for somebody to be offended by it.

That's genius. Level 3 was my favourite for sure.

I feel like the article is trying to find faults. The video wasn't the first to make that point? They changed things from the game to make the parody better? Oh no! At least it says things about Mario more so than the hunt for Bin Laden...

thought it was an early trailer for mw3 then

Brilliant, loved the bullet bill artillery devastation. Reminds me of the "crossing the line twice" article on TV Tropes

Really... Lol XD! Where's V.P. Cheney as Toad and V.P. Biden as Peach!? I demand a Mario bros 2 parody for further details, and a more formal understanding of these current events.

I liked the part where he stomps over a goomba holding camera.

Well that was an ingenious summary...especially loved the ending..."You killed Bin Laden, but your shiz is still gonna get effed up!"

I'd say this is twice as good as Duty Calls...

Man I want that game.
It's the ending that really Seals the deal for me.

Reallink:
This pretty much trivializes the whole war. I'm opposed to the whole war, but a lot of people died.

Too soon guys. Too soon

Heck no! If anything I find this to be moreso credible than anything the propaganda machines from both sides spew at me.

That was brilliant. Looks like the French are ahead of the game.

That was some good Political satire. Loved it.

silverbullet1989:
thought it was an early trailer for mw3 then

Looked far too enjoyable to be that.

HankMan:
Man I want that game.

Somewhat Black Ops humour, friend.

More importantly did no one else notice it said "Level 3 Super Bush Blows Everything"?

manythings:

HankMan:
Man I want that game.

Somewhat Black Ops humour, friend.

More importantly did no one else notice it said "Level 3 Super Bush Blows Everything"?

Ba-dum-tish *walks away from the Escapist forums*

OT: It's almost eerie how Castro's death in COD and Bin Laden's death IRL share such similarities. See what I did there? Probably not... *leaves drumsticks*

FogHornG36:

Umm, I don't follow, it seems your indicating that while Mario was Bush it was offensive, yet while it was Obama it was funny...

or am I misunderstanding?

I had a great laugh at the American mushroon turned him into Obama. Still why was it Koopa soldier attacking the door instead of Toad soilder? Overall I though it was funny (at the parody).

Wow...I'm not sure if I should be laughing at this, but I am.

The part where the mushroom turns Bush in to Obama was hilarious.
hahaha
this was great

The best part for me is that a big powerup turns Bush into Obama.
It's so true, genius!

i am so sick of people doing the whole "i'm *someone who this is a sore spot for* and im offended"

lighten up and loose the over-sensitivity. stop saying "too soon", i can assure you that the germans dont feel any better about WWII now than in 1945 and they tolerate every form of medium (ie, books, movies, games, etc.) having them as the bad guys. it was funny.

Reallink:

Too soon guys. Too soon

Not at all.

As satire I think it makes a valid point. And which 'whole war' were you referring to? I don't think a manhunt constitutes a war...

Despite usually being against this sort of thing, I find my self approving of this one.

I mean, how can you not laugh at a powerup mushroom turning Bush into Obama?

Hey the extra credits guys are getting through, gameification of everything including politics :p

Seriously though, gameing based satire of a serious and current issue? well played france, well played.

Not the most original of messages, but still not bad. People sayin' it's too soon can fuck off. Nothing is too soon.

Normally I would say something like "Isn't this a little too soon?", but seeing how last week the internet was FLOODED with Osama related articles, memes, and forums, ect. I'm going to say that I found it amusing, but It could have had more bob-ombs. Just saying.

Reallink:

Too soon guys. Too soon

You could tell everyone who was making Godzilla jokes hours after the Japanese tsunami the same thing, eh?

...All I can think is maybe the french were a bit to...immature about this? War isn't a game after all...

cfehunter:
Hey the extra credits guys are getting through, gameification of everything including politics :p

Methinks someone didn't understand the gamification episode. It's about applying game mechanics to non-game situations, not just making a parody that blends the two.

I was unimpressed. Between the unevenly-sized pixels, physics that didn't even resemble the Mario games, music used in the wrong places (flagpole music at the end of a castle, for example), pretty much random mix of sprites from different eras that normally wouldn't go together, and sprites turning diagonal in a way they couldn't on a real 8-bit or 16-bit machine, this is nothing that I haven't seen on Newgrounds about a million times.

P.S. Thanks

Mari-obama? I am okay with it.

FogHornG36:

LOL agreed

oh and about your avatar...nyan nyan nyan :p

Too soon? Ah well, bin there, done that.

Loved the Bush transformation, very clever video.

teebeeohh:
satire is just so much more funny when it hits close enough for somebody to be offended by it.

That was delicious.

Let the rage flow!

Falseprophet:

Reallink:

Too soon guys. Too soon

You could tell everyone who was making Godzilla jokes hours after the Japanese tsunami the same thing, eh?

+1 Internet.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or