Daystar Clarion:

cursedseishi:
I guess you can say Anonymous...
*slips on shades*
doesn't know who it is anymore...

Have this.

http://people.rit.edu/~bss6378/instantCSI/

You deserve it.

Why is my college hosting a picture of sunglasses? And how do you know about it? Do you go to RIT!?

Which RIT is that because I know someone that goes to an RIT.

To all of those people that argued with me that "Anonymous" is not an "organization..."

I rest my mutha fucking CASE.

And now Anonymous is trying to have it both ways. They want to be anonymous, but they also want to form groups that direct operations. It doesn't work that way.

Having just come off watching Unskippable, Ryan should probably go by the name 'Prometheus'.

Fox242:
Figures. They try and make a "leaderless" collective and then a guy tries to take control (either way, someone was attempting to seize power here). I just hope this tears their organization apart. I've been getting quite sick of them and their support of GeoHot.

Yeah, how dare those arrogant fuckers stand up for a guy getting scapegoated for something he didn't do just so some corporate suits can set a precedent that they own physical items in your house and that post-purchase EULA's trump national laws.

Seriously, read up on something before you condemn it.

IndianaJonny:

"The only way to make things safe is to make users aware how insecure it is," claims Ryan thinq_

So basically, we're all sat down eating our popcorn to a rerun of Die Hard 4.

I wonder if there will be swearing this time. Yippie Ki-Yay!

OT: What I wouldn't give for a short clip of "Silent Movie" right now - namely the movie lobby scene.

Pass the popcorn over here! This oughta be gooood.

If you really want some popcorn munching entertainment, check out this version of the story from Ars Technica:
The hackers hacked: main Anonymous IRC servers seized
Isn't real-life something? I mean, you can't make this stuff up.

Tom Goldman:

(mass snip)
There have always been separate groups of Anonymous members, but until now they were usually on the same side. The "core" of Anonymous is currently trying to regain control, but what happens after that is anyone's guess.
(snip)

Err... not exactly. The thing is, until now they usually just didn't take part in something if they weren't on the same side. Now they're actively attacking members of the other side.

GLo Jones:

Braedan:

GLo Jones:
People seem to be unaware that Anonymous has suffered from civil war before, and the last time lasted about 1-2 years. However, this was before various Anons were wanted individuals. So we'll see how quickly this conflict is crushed now the stakes are so high.

I guess that serves me right for not researching neck-beard history before opening my mouth. I was under the impression they were just calling each other names about some girl in makeup though.

That's exactly what happened, it started out just that stupid. Unfortunately, Anonymous' trolling nature simply caused it to snowball.

Plus, what are you implying? Are saying you don't care about the history of the basement dwelling neck-beards? What is this madness?!

Haha, I like your style.

I assumed all that happened was a bit of a split though, something about half leaving for 7chan. Never remembered anything about hacking each other's servers.

Anonymous member NAMED Ryan?

He ain't anonymous.

"dangerous" is a water downed word now sigh.

-Forms a new group within this thread-

Let the show begin

-snacks on beef jerky-

CM156:
For some reason, this reminds me of the Blood War... Lower Planes conflict is appropriate for this situation.

OT: Good. Again, never much a fan of Anon. Funny to watch though.
*grabs popcorn*

Cookie for Dnd reference. Nicely done good sir :)

Simalacrum:
Yeah, they've been talking about this on separate Anonymous-associated forums like whyweprotest.net for a few days now... I even saw someone posting "Ryan"'s address and what his house looks like on the forums. General reaction looks to be very much negative against "Ryan", at least within the WWP community (WWP being the main body of the anti-Scientologist aspect of Anonymous).

It seems to me that 'Ryan' is the one who is power hungry. If this was a general movement within Anonymous, then we wouldn't be hearing one guy's name. Why are Anonymous anti-Scientologist again? For the lulz, or because they're money hungry wierdos who take advantage of stupid people? Idk. If you're committed to keeping stupid people from making stupid decisions prepare for an endless battle that you can't win. I say focus on New Zealand.

Doom-Slayer:

CM156:
For some reason, this reminds me of the Blood War... Lower Planes conflict is appropriate for this situation.

OT: Good. Again, never much a fan of Anon. Funny to watch though.
*grabs popcorn*

Cookie for Dnd reference. Nicely done good sir :)

Thank you, I didn't know how many people would get it.

OT: I find this funny. I really do. Anon fighting itself, when nether has true structure. I am wondering how this will end

Braedan:

GLo Jones:
That's exactly what happened, it started out just that stupid. Unfortunately, Anonymous' trolling nature simply caused it to snowball.

Plus, what are you implying? Are saying you don't care about the history of the basement dwelling neck-beards? What is this madness?!

Haha, I like your style.

I assumed all that happened was a bit of a split though, something about half leaving for 7chan. Never remembered anything about hacking each other's servers.

It was a shitstorm of epic proportions. Moot had a bunch of words even remotely related to Boxxy set to automatically permaban, and even then 4chan was crippled, dancing on and off for at least a month.

cursedseishi:
I guess you can say Anonymous...
*slips on shades*
doesn't know who it is anymore...

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH(dun dun-uh)

either way, I think there will be some poor decisions made by both sides in a civil war like this. People will be found, people will be arrested, and hopefully information will be found that gets a boot in the ass of whoever took my psn info! [end pity party]

AnythingOutstanding:

He ain't anonymous.

I know I would have picked a cooler name than Ryan if I was on that site like Hermit or Loki or anything that can be associated with an actual name.

ReiverCorrupter:

Simalacrum:
Yeah, they've been talking about this on separate Anonymous-associated forums like whyweprotest.net for a few days now... I even saw someone posting "Ryan"'s address and what his house looks like on the forums. General reaction looks to be very much negative against "Ryan", at least within the WWP community (WWP being the main body of the anti-Scientologist aspect of Anonymous).

It seems to me that 'Ryan' is the one who is power hungry. If this was a general movement within Anonymous, then we wouldn't be hearing one guy's name. Why are Anonymous anti-Scientologist again? For the lulz, or because they're money hungry wierdos who take advantage of stupid people? Idk. If you're committed to keeping stupid people from making stupid decisions prepare for an endless battle that you can't win. I say focus on New Zealand.

On the point of why we protest against them, a bit of both really at least for me - Scientology is a cult that scams people out of vast amounts of money, and should be protested against, and also the people who go to the protest are cool guys and fun to hang out with. :P

Of course stupid people will make stupid decisions - what we're trying to do is stop smart, perfectly normal people from having their lives ruined by the 'church' due to ignorance about what the church is. We're trying to spread publicity about what the church exactly is and, through that, convince people to stay away from the church and rob it of its financial stability.

Oh btw, when I say "we" I mean the part of Anonymous that is targeting the Church of Scientology. I, personally, am not involved in any way with other Operations done in Anonymous' name, and have no intention in getting involved with them either :P

Stupid tripfags ruining it for everyone...

Anyways, it was probably inevitable. Power corrupts, and all.

Could anyone do me a solid and created an animated movie based around anon, but replace fat hackers with like, space ships and shit? That might be fun to watch or hear about.

THIS is why I always laughed at Anon's cocky, "we are invincible justice and anyone who disagrees with us in the slightest way will be destroyed because we are God of the Internet" attitude. The joke is now on them.

Simalacrum:

ReiverCorrupter:

Simalacrum:

On the point of why we protest against them, a bit of both really at least for me - Scientology is a cult that scams people out of vast amounts of money, and should be protested against, and also the people who go to the protest are cool guys and fun to hang out with. :P

Of course stupid people will make stupid decisions - what we're trying to do is stop smart, perfectly normal people from having their lives ruined by the 'church' due to ignorance about what the church is. We're trying to spread publicity about what the church exactly is and, through that, convince people to stay away from the church and rob it of its financial stability.

Oh btw, when I say "we" I mean the part of Anonymous that is targeting the Church of Scientology. I, personally, am not involved in any way with other Operations done in Anonymous' name, and have no intention in getting involved with them either :P

Meh. I guess we're arguing semantics about what it means to be stupid. I also suppose that the Scientologists must be pretty adept at 'gradual initiation' (some would call it brainwashing) if they can convince many people about Zenu or Xenu or whatever it is.

As long as you're primarily focused on spreading information about Scientology and not suppressing what the scientologists say, then I don't mind. I'm not actually sure whether temporarily hijacking someone's website to get a message out is a violation of free speech. Probably a little. Be careful where you draw the line. But you should seriously look into the New Zealand thing, it's completely unacceptable. I'm not a hacker so I can't do anything about it.

Krion_Vark:

AnythingOutstanding:

He ain't anonymous.

I know I would have picked a cooler name than Ryan if I was on that site like Hermit or Loki or anything that can be associated with an actual name.

I'm sure there's probably over a thousand 'Loki's. Loki is just that cool.

ReiverCorrupter:

Krion_Vark:

AnythingOutstanding:

He ain't anonymous.

Probably because he just does things for the lulz and is a massive troll

See kids...this is why anarchy doesn't work.

Next week's lesson: communism.

Well, we finally see the inherent flaw in any anarchist group, it's never an anarchy forever, there are always going to be leaders that emerge, and there is always going to be a hierarchy that asserts itself...and there is always going to be someone who wants to take advantage of that hierarchy, and the hierarchy's that evolve from an anarchy are the most dangerous kind, simply because there are no rules, no standards, no limits and no responsibilities.

el_kabong:
See kids...this is why anarchy doesn't work.

Next week's lesson: communism.

See above for why this doesn't work :p

Krion_Vark:

ReiverCorrupter:

Krion_Vark:

Probably because he just does things for the lulz and is a massive troll

Pretty much. Oh god, why, WHY would you EVER think that shaving the head of Thor's wife is a good idea?

Scars Unseen:
How Anominous...

*grabs popcorn*

I think I'll sit next to you and grab my own popcorn. This seems like it could turn out to be a drama that is well worth viewing. I can't wait to see what happens next.

FFHAuthor:
Well, we finally see the inherent flaw in any anarchist group, it's never an anarchy forever, there are always going to be leaders that emerge, and there is always going to be a hierarchy that asserts itself...and there is always going to be someone who wants to take advantage of that hierarchy, and the hierarchy's that evolve from an anarchy are the most dangerous kind, simply because there are no rules, no standards, no limits and no responsibilities.

Mmm... They aren't anarchists. They don't fight for anarchy. They're really more direct democratic than anything else. But yes, in order to accomplish their more complicated goals they needed to implement more structure. That being said, I think it'll just fluctuate between order and disorder, the goals of the group are such that there's just no reason for them to establish a defined and permanent hierarchy or leadership. No one will ever be making executive decisions, they'll just organize debate. If they did eventually have a leader then it wouldn't be Anonymous.

This is kind of what I imagine terrorists will do eventually, except with more gun violence. At any rate this should be interesting. Wonder which one will win, or if either will even survive.

geizr:
If you really want some popcorn munching entertainment, check out this version of the story from Ars Technica:
The hackers hacked: main Anonymous IRC servers seized
Isn't real-life something? I mean, you can't make this stuff up.

*eats popcorn like crazy reading that website*
Jesus, they really don't have their shit straight. Reading that, I see that a few of them have lost their way, not just random Anons, but notorious Anons. So now its Ryan versus Owen.

Also on the side: pst *nudges Sony* wake up! You watching this? I think your attackers/haters are distracted and destroying themselves. Bring back PSN quietly and don't stop on the security updates.[/side speculation that anon hates Sony]

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here