Rumor: Modern Warfare 3 Going Epic With Huge, Destructible Levels

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Rumor: Modern Warfare 3 Going Epic With Huge, Destructible Levels

Rumored information makes Modern Warfare 3 sound like the most epic Call of Duty yet.

Now that Modern Warfare 3 is almost assuredly going to be announced sometime around E3 2011 in early June, rumors are starting to come out about the game's content. According to "sources who have seen the game in action," Modern Warfare 3 will up the ante for the Call of Duty series.

The sources tell Kotaku that Modern Warfare 3 is indeed being developed by Infinity Ward, with assistance from Sledgehammer Games and possibly Raven Software, as previously rumored. It'll evidently continue the storyline laid out in Modern Warfare 2 instead of taking the prequel route, following a "world in crisis" after Russia's invasion of the U.S. in said previous title. However, the game's exact settings aren't yet known, though it will feature urban areas. The storyline could draw in other countries for the series' potential take on World War III.

This escalation in conflict will be mirrored by Modern Warfare 3's maps, said to be much larger and epic in scale than in previous titles. In addition, Modern Warfare 3 could feature destructible environments.

This would align the title with similar content found in EA's Battlefield series, which aims to blow fans out of the water with fall's Battlefield 3. Modern Warfare 3 is also expected in fall 2011, so this could be the best holiday season of all time for shooter fans.

As usual with posts marked "rumor," keep in mind that this is all unconfirmed speculation.

Source: Kotaku

Wasn't Modern Warfare's thing to have the combat feel personal and brutal, as opposed to 'sterile battlefield' images? I guess this could be a good thing, but it could very well be a bad thing as well.

Rumor has it... I would like to see the story continued, too bad Ghost ate it in the last one tho.
Still without the bulk of IW I wonder how they'll pull it off. I wasn't pleased at all with BlOps graphics, or story for that matter.
Destructible environments? Hopefully someone can get this right (I still think the original Red Faction pulled it off the best).

So they're going to *gasp* try something new!?!

Hell, I might actually buy this one myself rather than getting someone else to lend me theirs.

So now Call of Duty is going for Battlefield's fans and Battlefield is going for Call of Duty's fans. This should be interesting.

I shall not be decieved by the hype. I will wait till it comes out before deciding.
You shall not fool me again

I'm waiting for more information and some gameplay footage before I make any kind of decision to buy this game. I want it to be good, but I don't expect anything from it at this point.

So... they're going to be making another Call of Duty game and stealing an element from Battlefield (alldegedly)?

Neat.

Tom Goldman:
The storyline could draw in other countries for the series' potential take on World War III.

...yes.

NEED MORE EPIC CRAZYNESS!!

All the rumors flying around are really conflicting one another.

elilupe:
So now Call of Duty is going for Battlefield's fans and Battlefield is going for Call of Duty's fans. This should be interesting.

I would say they're gunning for each other

I just gained this horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach. It's only tangentally related to this rumour.

What if this and BF3 use micro transactions? Knowing Actibliz and EA they'll jump at any chance to make a game more expensive and now doubt the optional content will be only optional if you like a game being gimped.

What a cheerful thought.

Nope, dont want it. Modern Warfare 2 could have been a little more balanced and less camper friendly but overall, it was a very enjoyable game. As far as massive, destructible and impressive giant battlefields go, Dice has effectively mastered it for this generation with Bad Company 2.

I enjoy both. But I would prefer COD staying as it is so I have a good up close and personal shooter too.

By the way, to all the guys celebrating, consider this: you hate the average COD fan right? They are annoying little 12 year olds right? And the community in your shooter is so much better, right? Then why, for Gods sake, do you want these people to realize they are playing shit and come to your game???? Can you imagine xXXL33TSN1PEZXXx playing a Battlefield game? With you? On your team? No thanks.

Let it die for god's sake D:

Destructible environments could cut down on grenade spamming, after all, if you're going to spam explosives then you're going to blow up the house you're standing in.

I still don't care. Modern Warfare 2 was bad and so was Black Ops so I feel no need to get hyped over what will eventually be the same game with only like two "new" features.

Again they are taking from the competition to make another copycat game? Nice! Battlefield 3 and Bad Company 2 with destructable environments and large maps now they are looking at destructable environments and large maps, plus its sequal number 3 too. oh well its a rumour so there...

considering they no longer have Activision on their ass, maybe they can now do more creative shit

I'll be looking on to this one

Wait Whazawat? Three studios? How...are they going to work together.... properly. Cohesiveness people!

Oh, yeah, and, Call of Duty : Battlefield

Judging by the "Funhaus" in the picture (If that is a screenshot from MW3) part of it must take place in Germany.

Also it won't exactly be hard to create levels that are larger than the Black Ops maps.

fix-the-spade:
I just gained this horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach. It's only tangentally related to this rumour.

What if this and BF3 use micro transactions? Knowing Actibliz and EA they'll jump at any chance to make a game more expensive and now doubt the optional content will be only optional if you like a game being gimped.

What a cheerful thought.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming.gadgets/05/09/call.of.duty/index.html?hpt=Sbin

Micro transactions? hell no they are going full tilt into a subscription based services for COD. so we know the free services will be crap.

I am interested whether this will be as simple as "Cover will deteriorate when shot or if it will be "THE HOUSE JUST BLEW UP FROM SHELLING! THE GROUND HAS POT HOLES! THAT TREE WAS SAWN DOWN AND BURNT BY A TACTICAL NUKE!"

Holy crap, the tactical nuke. That would be a spectacle to see in combat. It's like that set piece they already did, but EVERYWHERE!

Calumon: Does it come with sillies that hate the game but still play a million billion hours in it? :D

Looks like someone's scared of BF3.

Not that I'm complaining, at least they're changing something.

Hero in a half shell:
Judging by the "Funhaus" in the picture (If that is a screenshot from MW3) part of it must take place in Germany.

Also it won't exactly be hard to create levels that are larger than the Black Ops maps.

Well considering MW2 is all about a hyper-aggressive Russia, Germany should be more frightened than the US, at least we have an ocean or two.

JET1971:
Micro transactions? hell no they are going full tilt into a subscription based services for COD. so we know the free services will be crap.

This is Activision we're tlaking about, use your brain and not your heart.

In addition to paid features integrated into the platform, "You will see a lot of new services and capabilities that will be provided free of charge to all of our customers,"

They may well be talking up the free stuff, but it's right there, briefly mentioned, massively significant.

I can see it being all the best weapons, perks and streaks requiring purchase rather than unlock, or having such insane unlock criteria that buying is the only feasible option (think BF heroes). Or payment needed to progress beyond rank X.
They've already got people forking out money for tiny map packs that a mod community could fart out in a day, I see no reason why they won't monetise everything else.

Fuck yeah blow all forms of realism out the water and give me WWIII I want to fight every sinle race, religion, gender, age and kill everyone.

/murderous Rockerfly

It sounds good, ballsy for them to go after the battlefield crowd. I like balls

If there is anything to this rumor, then it sounds to me like Infinity Ward* and Activision has lost the initiative here and is merely playing catch-up now to EA and DICE. Granted CoD is still selling better than Battlefield for some forsaken reason, but they know that their current formula is only going to last only so long. Still, this is a pretty quick release date after Black Ops just came out. I have my doubts we will see anything new. It's easy to just make up rumours about stuff. Better to just wait til E3 and see what is really getting put in there, if not just another cinematic.
*:Take into account this is the same dev company as before in name only. I doubt anybody is still there that didn't get taken to Activision's guillotine.

vrbtny:
Wait Whazawat? Three studios? How...are they going to work together.... properly. Cohesiveness people!

Given Activision's difficulty working with just one dev team in the past, this is hard to believe. What comes of this fiasco might be quite entertaining to read about.

Call of Battlefield: Bad Ops

fix-the-spade:

JET1971:

This is Activision we're tlaking about, use your brain and not your heart.

In addition to paid features integrated into the platform, "You will see a lot of new services and capabilities that will be provided free of charge to all of our customers,"

They may well be talking up the free stuff, but it's right there, briefly mentioned, massively significant.

I can see it being all the best weapons, perks and streaks requiring purchase rather than unlock, or having such insane unlock criteria that buying is the only feasible option (think BF heroes). Or payment needed to progress beyond rank X.
They've already got people forking out money for tiny map packs that a mod community could fart out in a day, I see no reason why they won't monetise everything else.

You get the guns for free, but the bullets will cost you.

I can imagine that only certain things will be destructible. Anyway not interested in the least, and much MORE interested in Battlefield 3 and Brink.

Jack and Calumon:
I am interested whether this will be as simple as "Cover will deteriorate when shot or if it will be "THE HOUSE JUST BLEW UP FROM SHELLING! THE GROUND HAS POT HOLES! THAT TREE WAS SAWN DOWN AND BURNT BY A TACTICAL NUKE!"

Holy crap, the tactical nuke. That would be a spectacle to see in combat. It's like that set piece they already did, but EVERYWHERE!

Calumon: Does it come with sillies that hate the game but still play a million billion hours in it? :D

Holy Moley, where have you two been hiding? Haven't seen you around in a coon's age.

As for tactical nukes, those have been around in other games...
Fair warning, this might be loud.

vrbtny:

Reminds me of Other M. Three separate entities fighting over the game leading to the disaster it was.

Jack and Calumon:

Calumon, that is one of the most inspired and interesting questions I have ever heard. I fear that the answer is yes, but the reason for it being so delves so far into the human psyche that if we knew the reason why it were so, our brains would explode in shame and horror.

so it seems that two big brand games are jocking for each others fans....this can only mean good things they will need to pull out all the stops to impress and keep the fans from the opposite faction :P

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here