Pirates Beat DSi Patch One Day After Release

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Pirates Beat DSi Patch One Day After Release

DSi's latest update blocks flashcards that allowed pirated games, but card maker R4iDSN have already developed a workaround.

Barely a day after the 1.4.2. update went live, R4iDSN posted a video on its site displaying its solution to Nintendo's firmware patch. This unexpected update for DSi appears to have no immediate purpose beyond invalidating flashcards. There is speculation that the update added the ability to transfer DSi data to the upcoming 3DS eShop, but Nintendo hasn't confirmed at this time.

If Nintendo is Superman, R4 flashcards are its kryptonite. At every corner, flashcards (enabling homebrew software and pirated games) have fought against Nintendo handhelds' anti-piracy measures and, as a result, cut into Nintendo's profits while making money for flashcard manufacturers -- most of which are made in Asia and sold for cheap online. Last April, Nintendo claimed that their 50 percent drop in European software sales was due to piracy.

The DSi was originally thought to be the end of piracy, a title that has since moved on to the 3DS. Even Nintendo's recently released handheld faces challenges, with flashcards such as R4i Gold enabling the use of pirated DS games (but not 3Ds games).

However, it remains to be seen whether pirates will be able to go further than that. The 3DS' robust anti-piracy features present a challenge to flashcards and their users.

If next week's Nintendo press conference's focus on anti-piracy (among other 3DS related topics) is any indication, it seems the company isn't going to let down its guard any time soon.

Source: Tiny Cartridge

I just wish there was some way to run homebrew without enabling piracy at the same time.

You have to give Nintendo credit, they seem to try harder than anyone else to keep those damned pirates down. And you know what? They give me hope we can win.

Of course they did, Pirates wear patches!

Yo ho ho!

Gee that's very surprising. Who could expect that.

Quick Nintendo, spend more billions to make some more patches! The pirates will NEVER beat the next one! Or the next next one!

/sarcasm

Score another one for the good guys !

Pirates - 9999999999999999999999
Gaming Industry - 0

Keep on keeping on fellas, one day you'll beat em. *snicker* No really you're almost there just need to keep sticking it to your paying customers a little more and you should have those evil pirates beaten.

HankMan:
Of course they did, Pirates wear patches!

Yo ho ho!

*shakes head*

C'mon, man. You can put just lil' bit more effort into a job you clearly enjoy doing, can't you? Please?

You can't beat pirates, and trying only ever harms the legitimate consumers (not to mention the wallets of anyone who pays to have these worthless measures developed).

Arachon:
I just wish there was some way to run homebrew without enabling piracy at the same time.

There would be if Nintendo decided to allow it, but they don't because it could be used to pirate games. Clearly only the pirates with flashcards deserve home-brew games, not mere paying customers...

Nintendo, just give up already. You're not going to win.

I get these companies want to try to stop the pirates but you just CAN'T beat them. They do this for the fun of it and don't have work hours constraining them. However paid employees do...

Xanthious:
Score another one for the good guys !

Pirates - 9999999999999999999999
Gaming Industry - 0

Keep on keeping on fellas, one day you'll beat em. *snicker* No really you're almost there just need to keep sticking it to your paying customers a little more and you should have those evil pirates beaten.

Do you even realize that you curse the effect and ignore the cause? Or are you deliberately on the side of the pirates? Which is a strange side to be on, assuming you're a gaming enthusiast and not a pirate yourself. You think piracy somehow helps the growth of gaming and benefits gamers? If you do, please explain to me how that works.

Hey Nintendo, I've got this expression you should look into:

fight a losing battle
"to try hard to do something when there is no chance that you will succeed (usually in continuous tenses)"

I would suggest passing it along to Sony, but I'm not sure they can comprehend the idea of the written word let alone the idea that their high and mighty EULA isn't a catch-all shield for them to hide behind.

Arachon:

Who cares? i blasting music on my custom DSI music player right now, So what if lets you pirate games my computer lets me pirate games BUT SO WHAT?

Honestly i hope your trolling.

I didn't even know they had put out a new DSi update. So that in itself was more news to me than pirates breaking an update (which happens all the time).

But hey Nintendo, enough with the DSi updates. You have a big 3DS update to bring us so the damn thing can finally do all the stuff it should have been able to do at launch.

JDKJ:
Do you even realize that you curse the effect and ignore the cause? Or are you deliberately on the side of the pirates? Which is a strange side to be on, assuming you're a gaming enthusiast and not a pirate yourself. You think piracy somehow helps the growth of gaming and benefits gamers? If you do, please explain to me how that works.

Helps it? No, it doesn't help it. However, I don't think it hurts it as much as these publishers like to bemoan either. No more than flushing billions of dollars on futile anti-piracy efforts that ultimately only serve to annoy paying customers hurts the industry. Honestly, I'd call it as close to a wash as makes no real difference.

Xanthious:

JDKJ:

Helps it? No, it doesn't help it. However, I don't think it hurts it as much as these publishers like to bemoan either. No more than flushing billions of dollars on futile anti-piracy efforts that ultimately only serve to annoy paying customers hurts the industry. Honestly, I'd call it as close to a wash as makes no real difference.

Dont bother explaining to them, they are have been brain washed by the you wouldn't download a car ads, its not his fault.

ionveau:

Xanthious:

JDKJ:

Dont bother explaining to them, they are have been brain washed by the you wouldn't download a car ads, its not his fault.

Actually, come to think of it, damn right I WOULD download a car if I could.
Tried sticking a BMW down my DSL line once, wouldn't fit.

allistairp:
The DSi was originally thought to be the end of piracy

Haha.
That rubbish thing that got features of the original ds removed and introduced region locking to handhelds was really expected to be good for anything but to be laughed at?

allistairp:
a title that has since moved on to the 3DS.

Now you really do want to kill me with laughter, do you.

I can't help but laugh at this. While piracy is obviously a problem, every tactic used to prevent it ends in miserable failure. Either they don't do anything at all, get instantly bypassed, or end up hurting the paying customers rather then the pirates. The word "unhackable" does not exist, as proven by the little red line under the word as I type this.

What DOES seem to wrok, at least temporarily, is when developers make sure pirates get gimped versions of the game. Rocksteady disabled Batman's glide ability in Arkham Asylum, Michael Jackson DS replaces the music with annoying instruments, and Earthbound completely and utterly fucked around with pirates. (First it gives more enemies, then it deletes your save right before you fight the final boss) These games are perfect examples on how to fight piracy, not firmware updates and DRM.

ionveau:
Who cares? i blasting music on my custom DSI music player right now, So what if lets you pirate games my computer lets me pirate games BUT SO WHAT?

Trolling? The fact that homebrew games do allow the running of cracked games is great leverage for the manufacturers to prevent users from accessing a system that is rightfully theirs to tinker with. And since we all know corporations don't give two shits about consumer's rights, a "middle ground" is really the only way I can see an end to this cat and mouse game, without locking out homebrew users.

Nintendo, I love ya, I really do. But you're wasting your time here. Pirates have WAY more free time and desire to steal shit get free stuff. Seriously, people who hack the DSi of all systems probably don't have much else to do, or REALLY want those games... I'm going to avoid a anti-piracy rant here...

Then again, noone really cares about the DSi anymore now the 3DS is out..

I give the 3DS a year before it's cracked. I'm probably being way too generous, though.

This is why you don't try.

All you do is remove potential features from legitimate customers in order to slow down pirates, in this case, for about a day.

Worth it, right?

standokan:

Nobody really wants a 3DS either, so, wait what?

Xzi:
I give the 3DS a year before it's cracked. I'm probably being way too generous, though.

I'm going to call it hacked before Desert Bus.

Its real simple people. Its software. Software is a set of instructions to the hardware. Those instructions no matter how well garbled can always be ungarbled and copied. No matter what! As long as software exists, piracy will exist. Its not a maybe answer, its just the way it is. The sooner these boardroom morons talk to the programmers and figure this out the better we'll all be.

I'm not sure you should be posting a link to that video...

vxicepickxv:

standokan:

Nobody really wants a 3DS either, so, wait what?

Xzi:

I'm going to call it hacked before Desert Bus.

Technically it's already cracked since you can play existing DS flash carts on it. But they don't work for 3DS games as far as I'm aware.

This isn't piracy...

THIS...IS...SCIENCE!!

Anybody else think that 2011 is turning out to be the year for pirates and renegades when you put events like this alongside all the Sony/GeoHot/Anonymous merry-making?

ionveau:

Arachon:

Why, because he proposes an idealistic world where we can do what we want with our hardware without pirating software?

I have no idea why they're still trying. The DS framework has a fatal flaw due to it's header-recognizing system that simply cannot be removed. Whatever they'll do to the DSi firmware, the cart producers just have to change the header of their cart to another one and the problem is magically fixed.

It's a battle they cannot possibly win, the money they're spending on anti-piracy on the DSi should be pumped into the 3DS, otherwise it's just throwing it into the mud.

And so continues the eternal arms race between pirates and software developers.

Frankly it sounds like lots of trouble to go about pirating games, not worth the time if you ask me. I think I'll keep paying for my games and not go the route of having to gut my console and perform a voodoo ritual to invoke the gods of haxorz to bypass a patch.

50% of European sales?
Half the people who own a DS wouldn't have the first CLUE how to handle firmware and homebrew. From what I hear, it's not exactly easy to find an R4 card online in the first place either.

I'd say it might effect perhaps... 10% of sales at a stretch. Still big numbers, yes, but massively more realistic than a proposed 50. That just reeks of excuse.

Arachon:

ionveau:

Trolling? The fact that homebrew games do allow the running of cracked games is great leverage for the manufacturers to prevent users from accessing a system that is rightfully theirs to tinker with. And since we all know corporations don't give two shits about consumer's rights, a "middle ground" is really the only way I can see an end to this cat and mouse game, without locking out homebrew users.

I hate to break it to you but they would NEVER allow their product to be homebrewable why you may ask? well you see they wont see any money out of it. if i can play pong on my DS why would i play Mario pong?

If i can play snake why would i buy mario snake?
If i can play RPG maker games why would i buy an RPG?

Trust me there is a reason why Iphones have there own istore for APPs
There is a reason why consoles disprove of home brew devlopers
That reason is because homebrew reduces actual game sales.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here