Duke Nukem Originally Had a Gay Robot Sidekick

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Duke Nukem Originally Had a Gay Robot Sidekick

Sexuality is an important theme in Duke Nukem Forever, which is why Gearbox originally planned to give Duke a sidekick with a different one.

Duke Nukem is all about sex, baby. He goes after aliens once they try to steal Earth's women. He says of a female monster, "I'd still hit it." He even starts the game (or the game's demo, actually) getting oral sex from two women dressed as schoolgirls. Suffice it to say that sex is part of The King's whole appeal.

According to Gearbox boss Randy Pitchford, part of the original plan for Duke Nukem Forever was to give Duke a sexual foil as a sidekick in the form of a gay robot. "Sexuality is part of the Duke personality," Pitchford explained, and the team wanted "to explore how Duke would relate to a peer that might have a different sexual orientation."

Though Pitchford said that he couldn't elaborate because the team might bring the gay robot sidekick back later on, he did say that the robot's story ended tragically. "Ultimately the robot was in a situation where for an order for victory against the aliens to be accomplished, the robot's inner workings - a nuclear generator - had to be sacrificed." I think there's a TV Trope for that.

Pitchford said that the sidekick wasn't necessarily played for laughs, either. "The exploration was all very sincere and real and maybe we'll come back to that at some point."

I'm not so sure, though. Sexuality - and homosexuality in particular - is still a very touchy subject in the real world where LGBT people are subject to harassment and discrimination. It's all the more rare to have homosexuality explored in games without being reduced to a joke.

Gearbox may have intended to be completely sincere in its treatment of the subject, but this is a game about a super-macho chauvinist fighting pig-aliens who have stolen Earth's women. It's hard for me to imagine the gay robot sidekick as being treated as anything but one giant gay joke. Maybe Gearbox will go ahead and prove me wrong.

(Via Eurogamer)

Honestly, I think Duke is secure enough with his sexuality to not care at all if his robot sidekick is gay or not.

Reminds me of that robot in Timesplitters 3. Though I would have thought it would be very interesting to have a homosexual robot as a compainion. Just...don't push it like they did with Arcade Gannon. Try more like Anders. I didn't know he was gay until I heard the controversy.

duke is so manly he gives off an aura that makes all those around him just a little gay by comparison

First thing I thought of when I read gay robot was Caboose from RvB calling Church a gay robot...

EHKOS:
Reminds me of that robot in Timesplitters 3. Though I would have thought it would be very interesting to have a homosexual robot as a compainion. Just...don't push it like they did with Arcade Gannon. Try more like Anders. I didn't know he was gay until I heard the controversy.

Wait wait wait wait...

You think Arcade was more of a stereotype than Anders?

Arcade had next to no sexuality whatsoever.

Let's see how many references to Nick Swardson's gay robot are in this thing by the end of the week.

CannibalRobots:
Honestly, I think Duke is secure enough with his sexuality to not care at all if his robot sidekick is gay or not.

Pretty much this, you nailed it.

I think the two would probably get along pretty well and be able to poke fun at each other =p

It'd be hilarious to see dukes reactions

Mister Benoit:

CannibalRobots:

I think the two would probably get along pretty well and be able to poke fun at each other =p

Duke: Hey fudge packer!
Gay side kick: Hey Pig!
Both: Lol

That... Actually might have been kind of cool. It would certainly make the the game more interesting. I say put him back! Or at least bring him back in some DLC!

EDIT: Hmm... New rules. They seem pretty reasonable. Though, I suspect a good number of people here are will be in some serious trouble...

Did he wear this shirt?

Rewrite him for a DLC....he can be shot be a preacher and then Duke can hunt down preacher...all while getting women...

CONTROVERSY WOO WOO

WaaghPowa:

Mister Benoit:

CannibalRobots:

Duke: Hey fudge packer!
Gay side kick: Hey Pig!
Both: Lol

unfortunately, there are already pigs in the game, he'd have to be a bit more creative. Also, the robot would NEED this man's voice.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0263880/

I really, REALLY hope this makes it into the final game.

When will people realise that being able to make jokes about a stereotype (especially in a game that is supposed to be taken about as seriously as a clown running for president) actually PROMOTES tolerance, by using casual laughter to negate any sense of malice in that stereotype.

Honestly, the idea that Duke Nukem, a character who is designed to be over the top macho in every single respect, being secure and progressive enough to have an openly gay sidekick would be a legitimate example of maturity that gamers could hold up for the whole world to see (even if the rest of the game is the complete opposite).

CannibalRobots:

EHKOS:

Wait wait wait wait...

You think Arcade was more of a stereotype than Anders?

Arcade had next to no sexuality whatsoever.

Arcade had that kind of tone of voice, and his lines in battle indicated it. Anders (from what I've seen, about five hours of the game played on youtube) is just there. Arcade just stuck out more for me. IDK why.

Pitchford said that the sidekick wasn't necessarily played for laughs, either. "The exploration was all very sincere and real and maybe we'll come back to that at some point."

I fell out of my chair laughing at that.

Oh, and thanks for linking to tv tropes. There goes my whole weekend... douchebag.

John Funk:

Do they honestly expect people to believe that, or are their April's Fools jokes also running behind schedule?

"Be careful where you stick your plug tin-head, or you'll get a virus!"

Im glad they didnt tbh. Knowing gearbox they probably have went with the over sexualised gay stereotype, which we dont need anymore of :3

Escapist.

You linked to TVtropes.

So many hours will be wasted thanks to this news item.

On topic: I think it could work depending on exactly how they deal with it. Something like this being dealt with very seriously would feel somewhat out of place right next to Duke being a complete misogynist and flinging feces around, but if the topic was actually dealt with with the same level of seriousness that Duke is it could work pretty well.

the only way i can see this work is if duke doesn't comment on the robots sexuality.
Except to high-five him whenever they meet up again and duke comes out of a room full of awestruck women the bot comes out of a room full of awe-struck men.

Aw man, too bad they removed it! That would have been hilarious! (And they would and should have played it for laughs! Imagine it, a dry British style gay robot accompanying Duke!)

CannibalRobots:

Oh please, he's obviously overcompensating!

Genuine Evil:

EDIT: ninjas everywhere

I would have link the youtube vid from the one movie, but felt that was too meme-ish...

Anyways, I actually find the idea interesting, and if it could be pulled off as anything but one big gay joke, that would have been doubly awesome.

I can see Duke actually cheering a homosexual along for chasing the guys. Just as long as they didn't chase Duke. He's all for the chicks.

WaaghPowa:
First thing I thought of when I read gay robot was Caboose from RvB calling Church a gay robot...

ARGH! This is exactly what ran through my mind, too!
But this raises the question, who would win in a fight between Tex* and Duke?
*:Minus that little factor of Tex's handicap of always losing.

that could have been a pretty funny team up, but you cant kill the gay robot, there is too much of a trope with that, maybe constantly make it seem like your going to kill it or something but dont have duke have to rescue it everytime because if he does then it just becomes an annoyance

CannibalRobots:

Agreed. Hyperconfident, even, I'd say. "You're gay, you're straight, I don't care. I just know I'm awesome."

Did he had a Big Gay Dance?

Then he's not gay.

I just don't know why Duke would ever need a sidekick.

I can't believe no one else feels this way.

First of all, yes I understand that gays are treated very intolerantly in many places (I live in the American southeast, so trust me I know). It angers me when people try to take someone's sexuality and extrapolate it into saying they are a bad person. But on the other hand, take a joke people. Isn't the whole Duke Nukem franchise a giant parody of heterosexuality? I think there's a definite line between 'Making a joke about a homosexual character' and 'Being offensively homophobic'; that line is, for me, when the ONLY joke is about said gay character. I don't mean to sound bitchy, but this is ridiculous. You're saying it's okay to have a game where the main character punching aliens in the nads and, not to mention, is in fact chauvinistic caricature Duke Nukem, but taking a jab at gay people is the 'offensive' thing. It's this exact kind of thing that creates resentment between sexualities, putting barriers between them. In a truly tolerant society, we'd be able to put all sexualities into the category of 'Love, Reproduction, Lust, et. al.' But instead, we put iron curtains between them, saying homosexuals are 'different' and 'special' and other such nonsense. That's just as homophobic as calling someone a faggot. Trust me, we're all in this life together. Splitting up into little groups and calling for preferential treatment isn't helping anyone.

TL;DR: If Duke Nukem Forever can take the piss out of heterosexuality, it can take the piss out of homosexuality too without being called intolerant.

Why does Claptrap spring to mind...

Oh god...

Duke Nukem originally had a fucking cowboy hat

their argument is invalid

I think this would have been good. Fox news would have a field day, but everyone else would totally be cool with it.
Although I'd be a little bit upset if the sidekick didn't make occasional jokes and such about his sexuality. We have a sassy gay kid in Bio class, and he always has the best jokes.

Wouldn't treating the gay robot with utter sincerity have been the best counter balance for cartonnish maxi-man that is The Duke?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here