Let Your Inner RPG Demon Feast on Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Gameplay Demo

Let Your Inner RPG Demon Feast on Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Gameplay Demo

38 Studios has uploaded the 45 minute gameplay demo of Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning exclusively shown at PAX East to YouTube.

One of the highlights of my PAX East 2011 experience was finally getting a chance to see Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning in action. The 38 Studios RPG had been hyped for a long time with big name contributors such as Todd McFarlane, R.A. Salvatore, and Elder Scrolls designer Ken Rolston, with the backing of financier and hardcore RPG-fan Curt Schilling. My impression of the demo was decidedly positive, but now you have a chance to watch and judge for yourself.

38 Studios taped the entire PAX East demo, the first time the game was shown off in public, and have made the entire thing available on YouTube in 5 parts. It goes over every basic aspect of Reckoning, from the action-based combat system, to the loot, to the open-ended "Destiny" class system, to the amazing doors.

The most impressive part about Reckoning is its depth in multiple areas. If you like to explore, walking down that forest path you found will probably lead to a unique encounter. If you love loot, it's got tons of it in Diablo style. If you just want to whack a bunch of skeletons into the ground, the combat system should be satisfying too.

Granted, this is all based off of a controlled demo, but Reckoning definitely has potential if everything comes together in the end. Take a look below and see what you think. There's also a highlights video at the bottom here if you don't have 45 minutes to spare. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is scheduled to come to the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC in 2012.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

Part 5:

Highlights:

I'd play it, but I'm sure not going to watch 45 minutes of someone else playing it.

...I want it.

I want it bad.

where's the rpg?

...and PC

All I needed to know. It looks awesome.

Are you sure this game has a lot of hype? This is the first time I've heard of it.

-'has potential'-

I will more than likely buy this. So far so good.

Combat system reminds me of the Fable series. Particularly 2 & 3.

Selvec:
Combat system reminds me of the Fable series. Particularly 2 & 3.

For the mage at least it looks to have more depth. In Fable all combat types just dealt damage. It seems in Reckoning that there is some strategy or planned attacks in play while Fable was much more "Press X to kill."

Just from what I can see anyway.

You dont need to memorize moves, Yup another boring RPG with repetitive ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK play style, Why did these people cheer when he said that the combat will be flat and boring? With a few shiny animations.

Not really sold on the art style. It's a lot more cartoon-y than I was expecting and I definitely get a generic MMO vibe from the visuals. I'm also finding it hard to find that "you have to care about the world, before you want to save it" sweet spot they're supposedly driving for. Why? Because of blurry lighting, floating sprites and oversized weapons? Tell me more about this amazing story and I'll tell you if I can care about it.

Also, R. A. Salvatore isn't really all that when it comes to creating a grander, cohesive fiction. His feel for writing fantasy trope and action is solid, in niblets, but I fail to see how that qualifies him as a prodigy of universe-building.

Still, the combat admittedly looks pretty tight for an alpha build of the game.

Internet douchebags is the new plague.

This looks crazy fun, fast, crunchy with lots of different animations and special finishers. Art style I like, looks really lush with rich and vibrant colors, here's hoping for a lot of different enviroments.

Hope we get a demo sooner than later.

A true to God action-RPG! :)

Anyone got a tissue, I think I might cry.

I like what i've seen, and once I play an actual demo, my decision will be made.
Looks very good though, i love what ive seen of the combat, and world

It looks okay to me. Graphics are serviceable, but stylistic so I give them points for that and I realize they're going to be constrained by the limitations of the console platform so I think you have to cut some slack in that space.

The gameplay is pretty rote imo. It looks to me that the best innovation they've done so far is just rehash standard RPG/action mechanics and remove some of the annoyances of the genre. This in itself is definitely worth looking at but isn't revolutionary or anywhere near "the best".

Personally I'm dubious of their "contextual combat system". It appears to be a button masher to me and I would expect with a single player RPG that we'd get a more fluid and in-depth combat system. Hell even a rhythm based system ala Arkahm Asylum would be pretty nice. Basically I think they half assed it to make it "accessible", but that's just from watching the combat videos and I won't know for sure until I can try it out...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here