LA Noire Sequel Will Have New Tech, But Won't Take as Long to Make

LA Noire Sequel Will Have New Tech, But Won't Take as Long to Make

Writing a script for a game like LA Noire takes a while, but Team Bondi is confident that it has a handle on the technical side.

Capturing actors faces from dozens of angles was fine for the first LA Noire game, but Team Bondi want to go one better for the sequel and capture an actor's entire performance, without the need for a motion capture suit. The studio also says that despite this new technology, the LA Noire 2 will take significantly less time to make.

The original game was more than five years in the making, but Brendan McNamara, Team Bondi's founder, says that part of what took so long was creating the tools to make a game like LA Noire in the first place. Even with the new technology, he thought the process would take less time - just a couple of years- and that it would enable actors to perform as they were in a movie or TV show.

Sadly, one area where Team Bondi isn't going to be able to save any time is the game's script. McNamara said that the branching conversations, with all their lies, half-truths, and misdirection, meant that the script had to cover a lot of ground. "The writing part you can't really make any shorter," he said. "The script by its nature is three times as long because you have these different avenues and there are a lot of logical problems to that, as well."

But despite taking so long to achieve, getting a sense of realism into LA Noire was high up on Team Bondi's checklist, as was injecting a little but more personality into the proceedings. "Generally videogame characters are 2D cutouts that carry big guns and do one liners," McNamara said. "So to bring that degree of humanity to these characters was a big goal for the game."

With LA Noire having the honor of being the first videogame to recognized by the Tribeca Film Festival, it seems like Team Bondi might just be on to something.

Source: GamerLive

Here's hoping it comes out on next-gen systems. The ingame faces look pathetic compared to the original 3D scan that they get after filming a performance. That B.T.S video spoiled me on the tech and just made me wish this game was coming out when the hardware was more capable.

I'm ok with them taking as long as they need. L.A. Noire is one of those unique gaming experiences that will stick with you for many, many years to come.

Cursed Frogurt:
Here's hoping it comes out on next-gen systems. The ingame faces look pathetic compared to the original 3D scan that they get after filming a performance. That B.T.S video spoiled me on the tech and just made me wish this game was coming out when the hardware was more capable.

But why would it? I mean the faces could still be improved on current-gen. Many games have better face graphics.

Not to be personal, but unlike games being considered art (YES!), how is a game being considered at a film festival "honorable"? I'm sure you meant that in a positive light, but it kind of came off like the game should be honored for resembling a different medium.

Anyway, I'd just like to add: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW REEEEAAALLLYY?! The game JUST CAME OUT! They're having tech issues (which Rockstar apparently refuses to acknowledge) with it still! A sequel? Really?

I think this is proof enough why the ending was the way it was to LA Noire (stupid f**king spelling annoys the crap out of *grumble*). So, yeah. No. I won't buy back the copy I returned on the chance the game will fry my fat PS3. I already have enough sequel crap to deal with in gaming. I'm not falling for this shit again.

...However I can at least be happy for those who felt extremely jilted at the end of the game. There's no DLC so far (I don't think), but there IS a sequel for you! Let's hope it's not the ODST kind of sequel...

MORE!!!

Just work on the female faces.

-"The writing part you can't really make any shorter," he said. "The script by its nature is three times as long because you have these different avenues and there are a lot of logical problems to that, as well."-

Yeah, this needs to be a bit smoother as well.

Ian Caronia:
Not to be personal, but unlike games being considered art (YES!), how is a game being considered at a film festival "honorable"? I'm sure you meant that in a positive light, but it kind of came off like the game should be honored for resembling a different medium.

Anyway, I'd just like to add: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW REEEEAAALLLYY?! The game JUST CAME OUT! They're having tech issues (which Rockstar apparently refuses to acknowledge) with it still! A sequel? Really?

I think this is proof enough why the ending was the way it was to LA Noire (stupid f**king spelling annoys the crap out of *grumble*). So, yeah. No. I won't buy back the copy I returned on the chance the game will fry my fat PS3. I already have enough sequel crap to deal with in gaming. I'm not falling for this shit again.

...However I can at least be happy for those who felt extremely jilted at the end of the game. There's no DLC so far (I don't think), but there IS a sequel for you! Let's hope it's not the ODST kind of sequel...

Took the words right out of my mouth, you did.

Considering the first one completely crashed and ruined my PS3 and rockstar is completely avoiding the issue, my guess is I'll be skipping the sequel.

Awesome. Color me excited. I haven't finished the game yet, but I'm ready for another one.

This is excellent news.

I think a sequel is a bad idea. Cole's story was pretty wrapped up since

, so the sequel will probably follow , but he just doesn't have the bipolar charm that Cole did.

Besides, LA Noire is a whole new type of game...leaving it without a sequel would have given it that special...thing.

Eh, I'm unable to articulate my thoughts today.

I think any new motion capture technology would certainly warrant better graphics.

Already a "announcing" a sequel? That was kinda fast.

Bit soon for talks of a sequel I think, seeing as the game came out last week.

Sober Thal:
MORE!!!

And the hair. Crappy hair. It would be nice to be able to see some women with their hair down.

Kopikatsu:

, so the sequel will probably follow , but he just doesn't have the bipolar charm that Cole did.

Besides, LA Noire is a whole new type of game...leaving it without a sequel would have given it that special...thing.

Nobody said it would be a direct sequel. I'm hoping for a modern day setting, myself.

MiracleOfSound:

Sober Thal:
MORE!!!

And the hair. Crappy hair. It would be nice to be able to see some women with their hair down.

I'll admit, the hair did bother me, but not really the faces, oh the ears got me a lot, they're mostly square and flat and ugh, but I loved the car damage and how you would damage individual parts and wheels could be broken off.

It's a bit hasty but I'll probably get it if it's anything like the first in terms of story telling.

If you're a fan of Noire fiction and you don't like what you're reading in this thread from posters then don't worry about them, I assume they were expecting:

I'm personally hoping someone gets on the writing board with McNamara. The game was good, but I don't believe it was on the same level as Red Dead Redemption, and I think it's because of the writing. It seemed highly uncharacteristic when

Getting a second writer on board will probably create a lot of correspondance over what can be put in, but having a second pair of eyes to make objective views of McNamara's work can't be entirely bad. Perhaps they can avoid what happened in this game in regards to overall story. Red Dead certainly avoided a few pitfalls with it's writing team of three.

It couldn't hurt.

Dulcinea:

Ian Caronia:

Ian Caronia:

Uhm... I'm sorry but what is a ODST sequel?

OT: I think this is great news, I love L.A noire and I would be stoked if it turned into a franchise.

cool, I'm loving this game so far. I think the rest of the presentation is crap though, I dont usually mind unless it breaks immersion... the shadows are horrible and there's pop in like no tomorrow. Also I'm getting some serious lag during gunfights... a bit better optimisation wouldnt have gone amiss. there's no excuse for a laggy console game really.

I don't think I'd want a sequel. It was a great game, now leave it and it's story alone and make something new.

Damn, that ending pissed me off. /resentment

This industry is really starting to make me want to barf more and more.
La Noire came out a fracking week ago, and we are already seeing news stories about a sequel?

STOPPIT!

Kopikatsu:

Why did I press the spoilers tag? WHY??? I just started playing the game. GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

holy_secret:

Kopikatsu:

Why did I press the spoilers tag? WHY??? I just started playing the game. GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

All I really have to say is...curiosity killed the cat?

If it makes you feel better, I was spoiled, too. I know that happens, but I'm only on the first Vice case.

MiracleOfSound:

Sober Thal:
MORE!!!

That's the hair style that pretty much all women had back then. Now, don't get me wrong, I think it's unspeakably ugly, but...at least Summer's corpse had her hair down, and it didn't look too bad.

I would like them to try something new. maby a PI game set around the same era using similar mechanics.

If they add the euphoria engine in the next game I'll be happy. GTA 4 and RDR spoiled me with the physics of people falling over realistically.

kayisking:

Dulcinea:

Ian Caronia:

OT: I think this is great news, I love L.A noire and I would be stoked if it turned into a franchise.

Halo 3 ODST has become a reference point in gaming for the perfect example of greed and overpricing with pseudo "sequels" (much like Horse Armor). ODST is a game that was sold for 60 bucks but was (as stated over and over) originally intended as DLC for Halo 3. At the time reviewers like IGN and Gamespot, big name ones, loved it. In reality it was a pile of confused crap (except for the firefight multiplayer mode from what I hear).

By referencing ODST when talking about a sequel, what you're saying is, "I hope this doesn't turn out to be an overpriced and overhyped waste of my time that people will "love" for the month it comes out, only to "admit" to disliking/hating it the next month."

===+ The More You Know! :D

Ian Caronia:

kayisking:

Dulcinea:

Halo 3 ODST has become a reference point in gaming for the perfect example of greed and overpricing with pseudo "sequels" (much like Horse Armor). ODST is a game that was sold for 60 bucks but was (as stated over and over) originally intended as DLC for Halo 3. At the time reviewers like IGN and Gamespot, big name ones, loved it. In reality it was a pile of confused crap (except for the firefight multiplayer mode from what I hear).

By referencing ODST when talking about a sequel, what you're saying is, "I hope this doesn't turn out to be an overpriced and overhyped waste of my time that people will "love" for the month it comes out, only to "admit" to disliking/hating it the next month."

===+ The More You Know! :D

Because knowing is half the battle!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or