Sony Hacked Again

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Sony Hacked Again

Another day, another attack against Sony, this time Sony BMG in Greece, which coughed up part of its user database to hackers over the weekend.

It's nowhere near as jaw-dropping a breach as the attack that took the PlayStation Network offline for more than a month but the attack on Sony BMG in Greece is nonetheless proof that people somewhere still have it in for Sony, or at the very least think this bandwagon is still worth jumping on for some reason. The Naked Security blog says the nature of the attack suggests the hackers responsible may not have been particularly skillful but they were nonetheless able to get their hands on a user database containing user names, real names and email addresses of people registered at Sonymusic.gr.

The hackers provided the user database to The Hacker News website, which posted it to pastebin.org, although the entry has apparently since been deleted. Fortunately for Sony BMG users, the passwords, telephone numbers and other data it claims to include is either missing or "bogus," but all users of the site are nonetheless being advised to reset their passwords as a precaution.

"It is nearly impossible to run a totally secure web presence, especially when you are the size of Sony," the Naked Security blog says. "As long as it is popular within the hacker community to expose Sony's flaws, we are likely to continue seeing successful attacks against them."

However, the blog also notes that the ongoing attacks could ultimately make Sony one of the most secure companies on the internet.

Sony's security has got more holes than the logic of a Fox News Political commentator.

Poor Sony, it never seems to end.

Seriously wtf?

I am tired of these fucking assholes hacking sony and making the customers suffer.

I give up. These cretins want to be dicks fine. Have fun being douchebags.

Marik2:
Seriously wtf?

I am tired of these fucking assholes hacking sony and making the customers suffer.

Agreed.
this has to end NOW.

HankMan:
Sony's security has got more holes than the logic of a Fox News Political commentator.

Okay, that was one of your best comments... cuz its true...

And GOD DAMMIT! Will these people give it a rest, the ship has sailed, and everyone jump ship not long after... so lets knock this crap off, its just getting annoying now...

Is there some kind of meaning behind the attacks? It just seems...overkill. Unless the point is to 'destroy' Sony, but the very, VERY VERY worst that could happen is...Sony's video game department goes down. Sony the company will probably never actually go away.

Hackers, get over yourselves.

hahahaha oh wow

they just can't get a break, can they?

Someone needs to give Sony a hug

10$ if they catch the hackers, they will hire them to build better security.

These miserable bastards have got to get a life. Or at least have to inject a little variety into it. Why not attack Microsoft and XBLA network? Mmm? Why make Playstation people suffer all the time. Unless they're XBox fan boys. Then I'd understand. Well not really.

Sony will only come from this series of attacks all the stronger. And in the meantime people will start taking online security a little more seriously and stop handing out credit card details willy-nilly.

If they keep attacking, Sony will only grow stronger!
Or be crippled for life. One of the two.

These hackers are fucking douche bags and should be tried against a jury of their peers and then set up in front of a firing squad

Random Argument Man:

I'm personally think their heads will be on pikes outside of the main Sony HQ.

Remember JDKJ having linked articles relating to these in some earlier Sony thread. Wonder if there'll be even more attacks incoming... At least the damage isn't on the scale of the PSN breach, but that's not really helping >_<

However, the blog also notes that the ongoing attacks could ultimately make Sony one of the most secure companies on the internet.

Thanks for having mentioned that point in the OP. Hopefully it'll be true. With external agencies involved to monitor the damage, good chance it will be.

If I were a Sony exec I probably wouldn't even bother getting out of bed in the morning these days. Poor bastards, they've taken a (very) public beating but people don't seem to be through kicking them when they're down.

*GAH!* Double post.

-"It is nearly impossible to run a totally secure web presence, especially when you are the size of Sony,"-

So according to this 'Naked Security blog' Sony won't ever be safe. Good to know. They will never get my credit card number. Hurry up Sony, pull your heads out of your asses, and get on the paypal wagon.

EDIT: Oh well, prepaid cards it is.

Alex!? Oh no, that's me!

OT: Seriously, this is getting really fucking annoying, leave them alone. Wouldn't surprise me if all these hackers were irate 360 fanboys...

Sober Thal:
-"It is nearly impossible to run a totally secure web presence, especially when you are the size of Sony,"-

So according to this 'Naked Security blog' Sony won't ever be safe. Good to know. They will never get my credit card number. Hurry up Sony, pull your heads out of your asses, and get on the paypal wagon.

Nothing is safe...nor will it be. Ever. It wasn't on the same scale as the PSN breach, but Xbox Live accounts have been hacked and had information stolen.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/xbox-live-hacked-accounts-stolen/131

The moral of the story is, if you don't want to be vulnerable, don't put ANYTHING online. It severly limits you, but it's literally the only thing you can do.

Hell, after a few hours on Facebook I could get a list of names, social security numbers, and credit card numbers with minimal effort.

I don't even know why they're still doing it! Just cause that's all they have to do? It's like kicking them when their down, but afterwards trying to shoot it to keep it down longer, but for no real reason, or at least no reason I'm aware of.

Nothing is safe. Not on the internet. There has actually been a team of hackers that by-passed the United State's security through trial-and-error using nothing but online programs.

Thing is, they need to buck up their security more if this keeps happening, because it will. Of course it's not going to end, but that's not an excuse to not try to make it better so maybe it doesn't happen like a weekly trend.

So this is what hackers do when they're bored? Surely there are more constructive uses for their time.

Kopikatsu:

Sober Thal:

Nothing is safe...nor will it be. Ever. It wasn't on the same scale as the PSN breach, but Xbox Live accounts have been hacked and had information stolen.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/xbox-live-hacked-accounts-stolen/131

The moral of the story is, if you don't want to be vulnerable, don't put ANYTHING online. It severly limits you, but it's literally the only thing you can do.

Hell, after a few hours on Facebook I could get a list of names, social security numbers, and credit card numbers with minimal effort.

Paypal. I'm talking about paypal. They have yet to have peoples credit card numbers stolen, eh? Otherwise I may never buy digitally again.

sad face time : (

Sober Thal:
-snip-

http://ucclaw.blogspot.com/2009/09/paypal-account-hacked.html

Be sure to go through the comments, too.

Most Paypal accounts are hacked through your email, though, so it's 'eh'.

Kopikatsu:

Sober Thal:
-snip-

http://ucclaw.blogspot.com/2009/09/paypal-account-hacked.html

Be sure to go through the comments, too.

Most Paypal accounts are hacked through your email, though, so it's 'eh'.

Yep. Listen..... here that? No? Good, cause that's the sound of me never putting my credit card online! hehe

I guess prepaid cards is the way to go. Thanks for the heads up, and fuck you all you hackers out there in cyber space.

The first time it was sort of "OK, it might have happened to any company.", but now the amount of times Sony are being hacked is mounting to a ridiculous level. I'm pretty sure by this point Sony are speaking a load of shit if they say that their security team isn't headed up by a disabled gorilla.

I don't get it. Why don't Sony back down?

Release a press statement: "We have in the past operated without ethical constraint. In doing so we've attracted the attention of a number of aggrieved customers. We would like to apologise for poor business practice which lead to this and will endeavour in future to provide quality gaming services without infringing on customer rights."

I bet you the attacks would stop immediately if Sony did that.

This is why it needs to be legal to shoot Hackers

Random Argument Man:

I actually agree with this. Let's raise it up to $20.

Oh no! Not information like real names that can be found anywhere on the internet! Whatever will they do?!

Seriously though, this is getting extremely tiresome.

Sober Thal:

Yeah cause those never get hijacked.

I don't think any of these hackers go by the name Professor Zoom. I think they're doing it because they're like sharks, and Sony ended up with a cut on their hand.

instead of using dummys for nuclear missile tests, how bout we just use every single hacker in the world instead. put them in a nice (computer free) nuketown from the game most of them love surround it with a 80 ft high electric fence and then nuke it! lots of dead hackers and more realistic tests! who knows how long it will be until thes people can hack life? maybe they already can O.o!

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here