Student Exposes My Little Pony's Faulty Science

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Student Exposes My Little Pony's Faulty Science

What is the mass of an adorable pegasus, anyway?

As part of a high school science assignment to determine how real the physics in movies and TV shows is, student "Stephen Magnet" has revealed the shockingly low standards of scientific research that goes into the average My Little Pony episode.

Magnet took three clips from the show - the scene where Rainbow Dash finally achieves a "Sonic Rainboom," the scene where Applejack launches Rainbow Dash flying on a seesaw, and the scene where Fluttershy is saved from a fatal fall by a passing cloud of butterflies - and deconstructed the faulty science contained therein. He also offered solutions on how the animators could have tweaked and altered the clips to make them more in line with the laws of physics. Magnet has to assume a few things, like Fluttershy's mass, but even though he is working with uncertain numbers, he neatly demonstrates that there is significant room for improvement on the science side.

Of course, this obviously isn't meant to be super serious - a serious discussion about the science in a kids' show about magical talking ponies is almost too tragic to imagine - but it's funny and it's interesting, and a pretty entertaining way to spend a ten minutes. There's even a small chance that someone might learn something from it, although I wouldn't depend on that.

Source: Geeks are Sexy

Forget physics!
Pony Magic all the way, bitches.

Still, I'm so glad to see something as happy as MLP getting such love. Though I must question my own sanity for having seen this before the news post. >.>

The children's media, its swallowing me whole.

Ponies. Ponies everywhere. There's just no escaping it. This might be a concern if I wasn't already a fan of the new series.

Pfft. Applejack doesn't need none of your PHYSICS.

And with the existance of magic in any universe, science is always moot. :P

ಠ_ಠ
Im...just....wow...
What haven't those freaking ponies taintedtouched?

Every brony has already probably seen this but it might give all non-fans a chuckle or two. Anyway, awesome guy doing something I wish I dared to :)

I love the Brony community. I really do. They are all so random.

Gigaguy64:
ಠ_ಠ
Im...just....wow...

A glue factory

He failed to factor in the power of Friendship!

It doesn't matter about the physics. It's still awesome. Watch it, haters.

Wow, I'd already seen this posted in the usergroup a couple times, but I hadn't thought the official Escapist news would care. Today I have learned never to underestimate the appeal of the Ponies.

LOL Stephen Magnet is the fan name of the dragon in episode one, not the kid's name.

Ha, I saw this one just the other day. Very amusing.

He seems to have a thing for dark matter, though.

Gigaguy64:
ಠ_ಠ
Im...just....wow...

Obviously your heart.

Isn't there an internet rule about applying real life physics to comics and TV?

Applejack can launch Rainbow Dash due to friendship, obviously.

Applejack is clearly heavier than Rainbowdash. You have a hard working farm animal that will have lots of muscle versus a flier that will not only be sleaker but chances are will have lighter bones much like a bird.

Anyway my main question is, the series is called My Little Pony, so where the fuck are all the damn ponies?
We got Unicorns and Pegasii aplenty but jack all Ponies.

Doesn't he know thats it magic, we don't gota explain shit.
Also that cartoons don't have to follow real world fundamental laws.

So a show about magical ponies needs to be scientifically correct?

Really?

Fluttershy all the way!

Logan Westbrook:

As part of a high school science assignment to determine how real the physics in movies and TV shows is, student "Stephen Magnet" has revealed the shockingly low standards of scientific research that goes into the average My Little Pony episode.

Uuuuuh...
I'll just point out that that isn't quite right.

OT: Aye, I saw this a couple of days ago when it got featured on Equestria Daily, and was terribly amused then.
I think we need more "Applejack is made of dark matter" though.

Forget the fact that they are talking and shit, its the rest of the science that he has a problem with.

AmrasCalmacil:

Gigaguy64:
ಠ_ಠ
Im...just....wow...

Obviously your heart.

You got that right.

Yea, the power of Friendship is a scary thing indeed.

Gigaguy64:
ಠ_ಠ
Im...just....wow...

They haven't tainted rule 34 yet...

Vault boy Eddie:
Forget the fact that they are talking and shit, its the rest of the science that he has a problem with.

Lol yeah that's more or less what I was going to say.

What made him think that MLP was trying to be realistic?

Bitch, this is Equestria, we don't need human physics to make this world go around. We put a pony in the moon for 1000 years for god sakes.

Onyx Oblivion:
Pfft. Applejack doesn't need none of your PHYSICS.

And with the existance of magic in any universe, science is always moot. :P

Magic abides by certain laws, just like physics does.

If science existed, you may as well start calling scientists 'Magicians', since it would be up to them to discover the set laws behind the magic and such. FOR SCIENCE!

DasDestroyer:

Gigaguy64:
ಠ_ಠ
Im...just....wow...

They haven't tainted rule 34 yet...

Oh you're dead wrong on that one bro.

AmrasCalmacil:

Gigaguy64:
ಠ_ಠ
Im...just....wow...

Obviously your heart.

MST3K Mantra (Mystery Science Theatre 3000)

'It's just a show, I should really just relax.'

And I would posit that Applejack is heavier than Rainbow Dash, needing bulk and dense musculature in order to work on a farm, a physically demanding job. Rainbow Dash by contrast emphasises speed and agility in her flight, and would thus be as light as possible in order to perform most of the tricks that she does. Perhaps the weight distribution isn't quite enough to account for the exact height, but if we take into account that Rainbow Dash has wings and can fly, it may be possible to further assert that after a certain height was reached (the maximum arc achieved by the considerably heavier Applejack launching the lighter Rainbow Dash) her natural flight instincts kicked in to prevent her from flying into the ground, but due to her momentum were not enough to affect her course or in fact have any further affect beyond simply increasing her velocity and height.

Not bad for an English Major, but I do realise I just spent way too long thinking about the physics in My Little Pony. Time to go watch The Great Mouse Detective again, at least that's just deductive reasoning, none of that science nonsense.

I have the perfect award for scientific achievement for this student:

But he failed to account for the prismatic and refractory effects of Rainbow Dash breaking the sound barrier, which created a funnel around her in a different spectrum, which caused an oscillation on particles, causing them to vibrate in the visible spectrum. At point of break, the forces present shot those same particles all over the place, leaving a trail of the fluorescent they were last vibrating at, having accelerated off at a speed so tremendous that it surpasses individual vibrations!

Gigaguy64:
ಠ_ಠ
Im...just....wow...

You! You used the sign! Thank you, I've been looking for that damn alt key code for two months now. Phew.

lol, this is just wrong, the first thing that we learn (I am an animator BTW) is that everything is possible with animation and that we should take advantage of that to create something unique. Go spread your science somewhere else.

Gets a thumb up for the way he actually presented it, he took time to prepare it and kept it light hearted throughout the whole presentation. Guy has creativity and kudos for that. The most important bit of his presentation seemed to be very beginning - assuming things will don't get you far in life.

I donīt like friendship is magic but that was just bloody brilliant.

Nicely found, I enjoyed this very much.
It's SCIENCE! :D

Made a similar comment on YouTube some time ago, but...

Pegasus mass obviously doesn't work the way regular pony mass does, what with their ability to walk on clouds and such.

Everything would work out if Applejack and butterflies were made of dark matter.

That was actually really creative of him. Makes me wish I was good at physics.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here