Large Hadron Collider Creates Incredibly Dense Primordial Matter

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Large Hadron Collider Creates Incredibly Dense Primordial Matter

The Large Hadron Collider has created a super-dense building block of existence.

Scientists operating the Large Hadron Collider have announced the creation of a new instance of quark-gluon plasma, the densest form of matter ever observed by humanity. The unique material is 100,000 times hotter than the sun and denser than any known object other than a black hole.

To put it in perspective somewhat, a neutron star is said to be approximately as dense as the entire human population compressed into a sugar cube (via Wikipedia, I know, but it gets the point across). Quark-gluon plasma is denser than that. LHC team leader David Evans says: "If you had a cubic centimeter of this stuff, it would weigh 40 billion tons." Somehow, a material such as this can exist in its current quantity without destroying everything we know and love.

It's believed that the universe existed as quark-gluon plasma until it cooled into what we're made of today. The LHC created it by smashing together lead ions at nearly the speed of light.

Quark-gluon plasma has been made before, though the version created at the LHC is of higher energy and scientists are recording slight differences in measurements as it cools. In both cases, the material has acted as a "perfect liquid." Evans explains: "If you stir a cup of tea with a spoon and then take the spoon out, the tea stirs for a while and then it stops. If you had a perfect liquid and you stirred it, it would carry on going around forever."

As the LHC moves to operate at its full capacity, which it isn't at the moment, more instances of quark-gluon plasma are predicted to be created along with some potential Higgs Boson action. The machine's activities are obviously way above my pay grade, but I think we can all appreciate the work being done at the LHC as long as it doesn't suck us into Dimension X.

Source: National Geographic

Someone had better make a sugarcubed sized blob of this stuff and just drop it on the floor.

The results would be hilarious.

Abandon4093:
Someone had better make a sugarcubed sized blob of this stuff and just drop it on the floor.

Yeah, like pull the moon slowly towards and smashing into the surface of the earth by its immense gravitational pull.

And so it begins.

Gentlemen, we are on the precipice of a new beginning.

What? Don't look at me like that...

Now we just have to wait for Notch to add this as a block in Minecraft.

OMG! there is finally something denser on this planet that Rush Limbaugh's cranium :P

Tom Goldman:
Quark-gluon plasma has been made before, though the version created at the LHC is of higher energy and scientists are recording slight differences in measurements as it cools. In both cases, the material has acted as a "perfect liquid." Evans explains: "If you stir a cup of tea with a spoon and then take the spoon out, the tea stirs for a while and then it stops. If you had a perfect liquid and you stirred it, it would carry on going around forever."

perpetual motion= perpetual energy= Suddenly those stars don't seem so far away anymore.

I...gah. Holy shit do i want to see a sugarcube made of that stuff...
And it really does seem like they're making something that just says "screw you, Physics!"
But I don't get a lot of science stuff, so don't mind that remark.

Okay, so this is some big science, I guess.

Sadly, science isn't my strong point. So I'm just gonna plug my ears and think propulsion gel, m'kay?

I want to make someone tea, then put in that sugar cube. The resulting confusion from the cup and table, plus most of the floor would just be great.

redmarine:

Abandon4093:

Yeah, like pull the moon slowly towards and smashing into the surface of the earth by its immense gravitational pull.

I was thinking more along the lines of, burns through to the centre of the earth and begins to slowly draw all of the earths matter into it's incredibly dense blob until nothing is left.

Abandon4093:

Am I the only one here that sees the flaw in this plan.

How would he pick it up in the first place.

On the other hand, imagine dropping it on your toe. OUCH!

Abandon4093:

redmarine:

Abandon4093:

I was thinking more along the lines of, burns through to the center of the earth and begins to slowly draw all of the earths matter into it's incredibly dense blob until nothing is left.

Almost right. The best visual representation I can think of that would happen was that one episode of SG:Atlantis where they made a replicator girl that made all the other reps stick to her and they all became on huge blob and sucked the entire solar-system into a newly formed black hole.

Tom Goldman:

It's believed that the universe existed as quark-gluon plasma until it cooled into what we're made of today. The LHC created it by smashing together lead ions at nearly the speed of light.

Bah, these scientists think in too small dimensions.

Someone get me two thermometers and a good baseball pitcher! I'm heading for world domination!

If we can somehow find a way to use this thing-a-majig as a resource for power, we can officially say that we're living in a new era.

Abandon4093:

redmarine:

Abandon4093:

I was thinking more along the lines of, burns through to the centre of the earth and begins to slowly draw all of the earths matter into it's incredibly dense blob until nothing is left.

I imagine it'd be like the Earth being hit by an asteroid. Not sure if 40 billion tons is enough to suck us all into a blob but it might bump up gravity a little bit.

The lead scientist than quipped "Or, about half the density of your mum"

I swear that I don't know what the hell does that mean, by reading the title makes me feel smart =P

Alrighty, let me be the first to say this, so what?

I mean, does anybody gain anything from this hyperdense trash-compaction system?

ChillShark:

Abandon4093:

redmarine:

I was thinking more along the lines of, burns through to the center of the earth and begins to slowly draw all of the earths matter into it's incredibly dense blob until nothing is left.

Almost right. The best visual representation I can think of that would happen was that one episode of SG:Atlantis where they made a replicator girl that made all the other reps stick to her and they all became on huge blob and sucked the entire solar-system into a newly formed black hole.

Nope, like the news said. Vry dense but not denser than a black hole. And there is a big misconception about black holes. If the sun would change to a black hole with the same mass as the sun. Nothing would change. Ok not nothing, it would for instance get very very cold here on earth. BUT the earth would remain in a steady orbit.

ChillShark:

Abandon4093:

redmarine:

Given how hot the stuff is, interesting things would happen once it hit the water table. I heard that if a nuclear reactor were to overheat and melt through its casing, it would eventually reach water and instantly vaporize it. What would something 100,000 times hotter than the sun do?

with this we can finally create gravitational fields on space stations and the like. gentlemen, ladies, we now march on in to the true space age

JUGGERNAUTBITCH:

ChillShark:

Abandon4093:

Nope, like the news said. Vry dense but not denser than a black hole. And there is a big misconception about black holes. If the sun would change to a black hole with the same mass as the sun. Nothing would change. Ok not nothing, it would for instance get very very cold here on earth. BUT the earth would remain in a steady orbit.

Man, where did you learn to science? The Thing is dense, it will suck the earth in and become more dense, it will then suck the moon in and become even more dense, long story short, chain reaction...... The end!

Am i the only one seeing us all being sucked into a black hole in the near future?

ChillShark:

Man, where did you learn to science? The Thing is dense, it will suck the earth in and become more dense, it will then suck the moon in and become even more dense, long story short, chain reaction...... The end!

I guess not...

Abandon4093:

redmarine:

Not quite. To make a sugarcubed sized blob we'd compress Mount Everest (or some convenient quarry) into a sugar cube, not so much create it from the nether. And even that much additional mass wouldn't affect the moon's orbit much (too much distance). The blob itself, though, would handily bore its way to the center of the Earth. But even if we were to black-hole the Earth, the moon would have no reason to alter course.

Still, we're about as likely to create a significant blob[1] as we are a similar blob of anti-matter, which is to say, not very. We just don't have experiments that require such huge quantities.

238U.

[1] That is, a quantity visible to the naked eye.

JUGGERNAUTBITCH:

Exactly. People keep getting that bit wrong.

theheroofaction:
Alrighty, let me be the first to say this, so what?

I mean, does anybody gain anything from this hyperdense trash-compaction system?

Scientists continue to learn more about the nature of reality, in ways that are very boring and/or incomprehensible to the lay person. But, given a few decades, we'll all be taking this knowledge for granted.

I mean, the space race was just a contest between the US and it's most hated rival, the US (which the Soviets snuck into when nobody was looking and were winning for a time), but we have communication satellites because of it.

So, uhh, this stuff then?

Owlslayer:
I...gah. Holy shit do i want to see a sugarcube made of that stuff...
And it really does seem like they're making something that just says "screw you, Physics!"
But I don't get a lot of science stuff, so don't mind that remark.

Actually it's more like they're saying "Physics! Fuck Yeah!".

Wow o.o genuinely mind-boggling stuff!
Also, lol at the awkward blank capcha...
OH THERE WE GO.
Phew, I thought the LHC just destroyed the internet.

ChillShark:

JUGGERNAUTBITCH:

ChillShark:

sry bro:
Black holes, unlike their common image, do not necessarily suck up all the matter in the vicinity. They can act as "cosmic vacuum cleaners", but not as much as some people might think.[57] The collapse of a star into a black hole is an explosive process, which means, according to Mass-energy equivalence, that the resulting black hole would be of lower mass than its parent object, and actually have a weaker gravitational pull.[58] The source of the confusion comes from the fact that a black hole exists in a space much smaller but orders of magnitude more dense than a star, causing its gravitational pull to be much stronger closer to its surface. But, as an example, were the Sun to be replaced by a black hole of the same mass, then the orbits of all the planets surrounding it would be unaffected. This is because "if you're outside the event horizon, you can just keep going around in circles around [a black hole], in exactly the same way that you can be in orbit around any other kind of mass."[59]

wikipedia. (i know not the most reliable source)

thaluikhain:
snip

But nothing can be learned from this, it's just like high water pressure, only more so.

A Pious Cultist:
So, uhh, this stuff then?

So we fixed the energy problem? Can we move on to invading alien planets now?

If ever there was a time to become a mad scientist bent on world destruction it was now.

Oh and, for your enjoyment.

238U.

PS. This won't happen.

cool, so if we can make lead travel nearly the speed of light, theres hope for traversing the universe after all.

and err, well done to them who made 'dark matter'

V8 Ninja:
If we can somehow find a way to use this thing-a-majig as a resource for power, we can officially say that we're living in a new era.

dude, everytime i read your post's i cant take them seriously, i imagine them all in batman's voice.

I think the real question on everyone's mind is this:

Can you snort it? If so, then how sweet of a trip would you go on?

But really, if they can make some form of new energy with this, then we are officially living in the future. If not, then can we at least give it a funny name?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here