Doc Brown Explains Zelda Chronology Using Time-Travelling DeLorean

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Well this is the best and most fun explanation of all the Zelda games so far. Now for a real challenge, can Doc Brown arrange up the damn Final Fantasy franchise any even though its not all one set of characters? He should also do the Kirby and Mario games too.

So if I'm getting this straight...

OOT (because Link goes back in time) > Majora's Mask > (OOT Link turns into a Skull Kid, Hyrule flooded... D:) Wind Waker (As new Link) > Twilight Princess > Four Swords GBA? (or Adventures?) > I THINK the second LOZ > Crossbow Training > SSB > SC2 > I don't understand what this one is at 4:15... > Link's Awakening > Link to the Past > ...Something

Minish Cap wasn't included though, and those events have to have happened before the Four Sword Adventures and Four Swords. Also no Oracle games or Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks. Then again, I'm not thinking fourth dimensionally (and I don't blame the creators for not including them, Christ this is confusing).

Oh and AWESOME VIDEO!

well, that makes the most sense then any other zelda timeline theory.

Aerograt:
So if I'm getting this straight...
OOT (because Link goes back in time) > Majora's Mask > (OOT Link turns into a Skull Kid, Hyrule flooded... D:) Wind Waker (As new Link) > Twilight Princess > Four Swords GBA? (or Adventures?) > I THINK the second LOZ > Crossbow Training > SSB > SC2 > I don't understand what this one is at 4:15... > Link's Awakening > Link to the Past > ...Something
Minish Cap wasn't included though, and those events have to have happened before the Four Sword Adventures and Four Swords. Also no Oracle games or Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks. Then again, I'm not thinking fourth dimensionally (and I don't blame the creators for not including them, Christ this is confusing).
Oh and AWESOME VIDEO!

Minish cap was in there along with the other missing ones, just leave it be, theres way to god damn timelines out there.

This fight is 100% wrong. Link should be using light arrows. Or fighting Ganon. One does not beat Ganondorf with a sword alone, though.

P.S. Thanks

HankMan:
It's amazing how the Doc was able to link all the games together.

The_root_of_all_evil:
That Doc Brown would please the real Doc Brown. Hold on a minute...two Doc Browns? GREAT SCOTT!

It's a... Pair a Docs!

Oh, I see what you did there.

I have to say, that despite the fact I still have no clue what the timeline is, the CDi bit not counting was hilarious.

This was nerdtastic. Freaking awesome.

Scarim Coral:
Not only does this video combine two of my favourties stuff but also explain the whole timeline in a funny way! Man you would think that Ganon would of give up by the time he is defeated by the tenth or so Link.

Or at least find a kid named Link when he's a baby and just kill him then.....since it's always link
This made me cry I was laughing so hard.

Maybe if we get a time lord and the professor in on this it might resolve this whole thing before we all go cross eyed.

If I am to beleive moviebob this is exactely how comics work....

Wait I thought Majora's Mask was just a direct sequel to Ocarina of time, also was there any mention of Phantom Hourglass, it got bit confusing so I stopped paying attention XD

Hmm thinking 4th dimensionally, ill keep that in mind when I'm pondering stories that involve time travel.

Also now i know why Link doesn't speak much.....

HankMan:

The_root_of_all_evil:
That Doc Brown would please the real Doc Brown. Hold on a minute...two Doc Browns? GREAT SCOTT!

It's a... Pair a Docs!

OH SNAP! Well done on that last one.

But yeah, funny video, pretty much sums up the insanity of the LOZ timeline...or lack of one..?

Well this paragraph explains it in pure text for those interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda#Chronology

I came into this expecting a stupid article trying to explain Zelda chronology, I was presently surprised.

Did she say Ree-ulm? Really?

- J

Okay, here's the best picture I could find to explain it...
So, as you can see, the Minish Cap Link is the first, despite not being the first in the series. After he slays Ganon for the first time , presumably at one of his weakest points, one of THAT Link's descendants fights Ganon again, this time while he poses as a human. When he gains the Triforce power, two timelines are created: one in which Ganondorf DOES take over the world (The Adult Link timeline) and one where he is thwarted before ever doing anything (The Young Link timeline). In the Young Link timeline, since Navi had left due to Link not needing a fairy at that point, went after her, and got caught up in the Majora's Mask story. After that, he journeys across the ocean for no presumed reason, gets struck by lightning, goes into a coma, and awakens the Windfish to wake back up. From that point, we see the stories of Zelda 1 and 2, in which Link hones his skills as a swordsman, eventually acquiring the Four Sword and battling Vaati who was actually being controlled by Ganon. Then HIS descendant goes through a similar transformation to Ocarina of Time, except THIS time, there is no time jump, just a jump between dimensions/worlds, and thus no split timeline. Meanwhile, in the Adult timeline, Link's grandson or whatever saves Hyrule again, this time with the help of Midna and defeating Zant in the process. There is no indication that Ganon every actually died in Twilight Princess, so perhaps he regained power after healing from his Master Sword impalement, and then flooded Hyrule. After the events in Phantom Hourglass, the gods realize what great warriors these two Links are, and then Din and Nayru (and Farore, technically) reunite the timelines so they can stop Twinrova from summoning Ganon again and sending all dimensions and universes into oblivion.

WHEW... that took a LOOOOONG time... But it feels good to know there's at least SOME clarity.

"Link! I've got terrible news about your future!"

"Doc! What is it? Does my game suck?"

"No, something's gotta be done about yourr sequels and remakes! They're without any story tying them together and filled with gimmicks for the purpose of making customers pay more money for the same things!.

Excellently written but the creepy vibe I get from the translation of game characters into real actors reaffirms why the idea of a LoZ movie just wireds me out.

Okay, but what about the mask salesman....

HOW DOES HE DO IT?

HankMan:

The_root_of_all_evil:

It's a... Pair a Docs!

Wow...

Just... wow.

You actually made an amusing pun. I think that's the first time, ever, in all of history that a pun that bad has been that musing.

That Was Awesome!

I wonder what Universal would get upset over more, the fact that they used music from the movie, or the fact that they're using the uniform from the Institute of Future Technology.

I kid.

OT: That was a very well made movie.

Link has a lot of ancestors for a character that appears celibate. And what about Zelda's timeline? Does it follow with Link's?

Other than being weirded out by human cast members, very good video though.

Still, i'd like to see Nintendo's "official" explanation.

loved it but links voice was really annoying

T.D.:
Link has a lot of ancestors for a character that appears celibate. And what about Zelda's timeline? Does it follow with Link's?

Other than being weirded out by human cast members, very good video though.

Still, i'd like to see Nintendo's "official" explanation.

That's a scene they never show, kinda like Mario getting "cake".

As an amusing side note, if you do a Facebook share of the video you get an extra mild lol from the share button being labeled as "Share Link".

Odd Water:
Well this is the best and most fun explanation of all the Zelda games so far. Now for a real challenge, can Doc Brown arrange up the damn Final Fantasy franchise any even though its not all one set of characters? He should also do the Kirby and Mario games too.

Final Fantasy is easy, it's a multiverse with every single title being in a different universe (except for expands for a single game, like Crisis Core for FF7, those share the universe of the game they spun off of). Dissidia confirms it (with any that're killed off for real in Dissidia merely being sent back to their own universes with no hope of going back to the war).

Jungy 365:
Very clever. Love both franchises. I've played through most Zelda games, and, after seeing that, I still don't understand it.
Does 'Excuuuuse me' Link still count?

No, no he does not just like the CD-i games. That was funny, quirky, and a wonderful tribute to both series. Plus if Navi is the TARDIS it is the most annoying time travel device ever conceived.

There is only one thing to say... BRAINF**K.

I thinkthat we should just accept that the games are in fact NOT all connected

"Dont forget Soul Calibur 2" Funniest part to me.
Also the whole dream part one...thats my favorite Zelda game.

I don't see Zelda as an exact timeline. It's more like "The Legend" part of the title refers to story that remains largely the same, with passing reference to previous tales. Maybe the different games are just a culture's different interpretation of heroism.

I came to this but drawing all the similarities between the tone and story of A Link to the Past and Twilight Princess.

That was pretty funny, but I still maintain that there is no timeline and that all the Zelda games, with a few notable exceptions, all operate independent of each other only sharing a few common themes.

MazdaXR:
Has anyone got a link to the actual timeline set out by Nintendo? I just want to see how confusing it is without this explanation

I fairly certain Nintendo doesn't have one. In fact I seem to recall an article on the Escapist here a while back where Nintendo officially stated that there wasn't one.

EDIT:

espressojet:
I thinkthat we should just accept that the games are in fact NOT all connected

I've been saying that for YEARS.

HEY LISTEN

Great Scott D:

If I recall rightly theres a 3 part YouTube series that details this all process pretty well but its out of date now and at the end it pretty much concludes that even after all the study that their suggested timeline may still be incorrect compared to the "master" one.

To be honest I think Zelda games are just made with no real thought to past games made. After all its far more amusing for the devs to watch people tear their hair out trying to make sense of it all. :p

That was awesome. The timeline of that game is just best left alone. It is the single most confusing timeline of any series I've ever seen.

Haha. I love Back to the Future. I'm gonna go watch the whole trilogy right now XD

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here