Polish Prime Minister Gives Obama Witcher 2

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Polish Prime Minister Gives Obama Witcher 2

Premier Donald Tusk thinks that President Barack Obama would really like to play a hardcore PC RPG.

When one head of state comes to see another on an official visit, it's customary in many circles to present the foreign dignitary with a gift. These gifts can range from light-hearted and silly to extravagant depending on the relationship between the countries - and apparently, sometimes they can include a computer game.

US President Barack Obama recently visited Poland, and the Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk was ready with a selection of high-tech gifts for the visiting leader. According to Gazeta.pl, he presented Obama with an iPad that had some notable Polish films installed, including 2002's acclaimed Katedra (The Cathedral). Tusk also gave Obama several English-language translations of novels signed by author Andrzej Sapkowski.

Oh, and he also gave him a copy of CD Projekt's The Witcher 2.

It makes sense, really. The Witcher 2 is one of the highest-profile games - if not the highest-profile game - to ever come out of Poland, and it's been making waves around the world since its release. Is there any wonder Premier Tusk was proud of it?

Granted, President Obama is a busy man, what with running the United States and all, so he probably won't have much time to sit down and really sink his teeth into Geralt's adventures anytime soon, if ever. Still, it's cool that we live in a world where two of the most powerful individuals in the world can give each other gadgetry and videogames as gifts.

Obama wrote a note in the Polish PM's guest book, "May the friendship between our nations grow in strength." He then paused and added, "and may Donald Tusk finally get his Paladin to level 85. The guild needs a good healer, dude! [British PM David] Cameron isn't going to heal through Magmaw by himself."

I may have made that last part up, but wouldn't it be cool?

(Incidentally, this is going off Google Translate, so if any of our Polish readers spot any errors in this article, don't hesitate to let us know. Thanks!)

(Gazeta.pl)

Can Obama's desktop run it, though?

Or maybe he's a Mac man.

I hope giving each other video games becomes common practice. Like he goes to Japan and they give him Yakuza 3.

Great,soon we'll have research into diagnostic spells.

Obama Care 2012: Swallow Potions for everyone.

TsunamiWombat:
Obama Care 2012: Swallow Potions for everyone.

I'm all for it.

You know what, that's pretty damn cool. If nothing else it's a great show of respect from the Polish government towards the game industry, particularly their own.

John Funk:
"and may Donald Tusk finally get his Paladin to level 85. The guild needs a good healer, dude! [British PM David] Cameron isn't going to heal through Magmaw by himself."

I imagine Cameron is the kind of guy who would be afk.

That's a nice gift, though I doubt Mrs Obama will be to happy about the content in that game.

Perhaps Obama should give out copies of Call of Duty or Homefront to diplomats? Worth a try...

aww he got a free copy of the witcher 2? now I want to be president more then ever

John Funk:
*snip*

The whole visit was really really awkward..
And John, you were on the spot with Google Translation.
Makes me laugh that the sentence which Obama wrote was a communism related one - it was a catchphrase used back in the days of communism in Poland in relation to Russia. I saw what you did there Obama..

So being a president has it's perks anyway - free video games!

Wow, slow news (day? year? century? since the Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth?) for Poland...they're plastering The Witcher 2 all over the place, including their adult magazines...
Sure, it's probably a good game, but seriously, a game as a state gift?

Polish PM gave Obama Witcher 2: Assassin of kings?
I see what he's planning

It's pretty cool. On the one hand, it shows how much respect Poland has for its burgeoning gaming industry, and on the other it shows that a) giving away a product of one's culture can include games, and b) the necessary consequence being that games are art. Cool story, and this is not meant in any trolling sense!

CM156:
That's a nice gift, though I doubt Mrs Obama will be to happy about the content in that game.

Perhaps Obama should give out copies of Call of Duty or Homefront to diplomats? Worth a try...

Homefront would definitely be the best choice for the North Korean delegation ;) CoD's MW2 would have to go to the Russians, of course :D

That's kind of hilarious and awesome all at once. Also now I'm curious if Obama is ever actually going to play it, heh.

Cameron is a Ret Noob. I thought everyone knew this? He tried going Prot but he refused to switch Recount for Omen.

I would love it if the UN meetings or US Congress/House issues were turned into massive LAN parties with secrets votes on the issues/games, and then having to PVP over them.

Better than the "lolgridlock" we have now.

I am fully behind this plan, since Core Design was based in Derby and thus Britain can rightfully claim Lara Croft as being 100% one of ours.

But then again, the thought of David Cameron getting his grubby mitts on her is a little sickening. Maybe we can just have a new Prime Minister instead?

That is pretty awesome, lol

I'd have liked to see that.

Well, I bet he's not going to side with Scoia'tael...

In all honesty, this is simultaneously the funniest and greatest thing I have heard all week. Bravo Poland.

Wicky_42:

CM156:

Homefront would definitely be the best choice for the North Korean delegation ;) CoD's MW2 would have to go to the Russians, of course :D

And when Britian wants to declare war on people, they just send a copy of Fable III

Rzepik:
Well, I bet he's not going to side with Scoia'tael...

I don't know. If you see the scoia'tael as metaphor of human racial minorities resorting to violence in order to try to protect themselves from racism and discrimination. Note, i only played the first game. I sided with the humans in the first one and on act five and feel like a jackass. But to even mix up my metaphors even more I suppose Martin Luther King Jr/ Professor Xavier is closer to Obama's views than thsoe who resort to violence like Magneto and the Scoi'tael. So, quite frankly no clue, and he may want to act differently than he would in real life as well.

It'll be less frustrating than dealing with Congress,
At least with the Witcher 2, you CAN win.

I'm happy to see another point scored for the video games count as art argument. It means we have even more ammunition when people try to censor it.

Now THAT'S a prime minister I like. Perhaps this is the start of something far greater. The president will get addicted, he'll want more, he'll turn to other games, he'll become a gamer, AND HE'LL SHUT DOWN FOX NEWS!!!

Obama should do a playthrough of it, and put it on youtube.

I would watch the shit out of that.

Arontala:
Obama should do a playthrough of it, and put it on youtube.

Best. President. Ever.

Let's Play! (With The President)

Oh god that is the best political gift ever

As much as i like the idea of games being treated as something normal and thus state gift worthy, being a cynic Pole, i can't help to wonder how much of a PR move for our Prime Minister was in it. In just few month's we are having elections and the PMs party is quite desperate for getting the votes...Young, educated people make quite a large group that usually ignores elections.

Dang. If he actually plays through it, that's pretty badass.

I don't care one way or the other about his politics but I just want to hang out with Obama.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here