WoW Adds New Purchasable Mount - Winged Guardian

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

WoW Adds New Purchasable Mount - Winged Guardian

On the hoofs of the Celestial Steed, Blizzard is now offering another way to separate players from their money.

For the most part, Blizzard has stayed away from the free-to-play business model, mostly because there are still 12 million people who are happy to drop $15 a month on the flagship MMO World of Warcraft. But that doesn't mean the powers in Irvine aren't above a few cosmetic micro-transactions. Mini-pets like the Pandaren Monk and the Cenarion Hatchling were sold at $10 a pop to help raise money for good causes, but last year Blizzard raised the stakes by selling a mount for a steep $25. The Celestial Steed sure was pretty, but gamers balked at the perceived money-grab. Now, the Steed is joined by the Winged Guardian, a new mount that fits the theme of the latest Cataclysm expansion.

"When you take to the skies astride a blazing, eagle-winged lion, your comrades will know you mean business. Serious business," the description on the Blizzard Store reads. "So saddle up, because this flying mount will travel as fast as your riding skill will take you, and it can even travel at 310% speed if you have at least one other 310% speed mount."

The Winged Guardian will still set you back 25 bones, but good luck trying to buy one in the next few days. The Celestial Steed had a queue of over 80,000 people waiting to get the digital delivery, and the comments over at the official Blizzard site is any indication there is already a waiting list 3,000 strong.

Head over to the Blizzard Store if you're interested.

I like playing WoW as much as my schedule permits, but I don't think I would ever purchase a downloadable piece of content like this. But c'est la vie.

Source: Battle.net

The main question is...

Will you be able to buy it armor?

Winged Guardian Leviosa...

*ahem*

Totally not as prestigious as the Mechano Hog or Traveller's Tundra Mammoth I owned... =P

Real money for digital items, Blizzard devs are evil geniuses.

Ah well, cue people bitching on the WoW forms, even though this is an optional item, and threating to stop playing. People will still pay for it, and Blizz will be crying all the way to the bank.

EDIT: Hell, I'd pay $25 or more if I could add wings to my Mammoth. They should add that.

Well, it's not a sparkle-pony, so it has that. But in some of those shots, it looks like a winged elephant. Not something I'd spring half a Grant on.

Also, Blizz... where the hell is my rideable Sporebat? Epic opportunity wasted and never returned to.

I think it doesn't have enough sparkles to appeal to the masses.

CM156:
Real money for fake items, Blizzard devs are evil geniuses.

Ah well, cue people bitching on the WoW forms, even though this is an optional item, and threating to stop playing. People will still pay for it, and Blizz will be crying all the way to the bank.

EDIT: Hell, I'd pay $25 or more if I could add wings to my Mammoth. They should add that.

Are they fake? Digital, yes. Fake? No. You will actually get this mount in the game.

Greg Tito:
is any indication there is already a waiting list 3,000 strong.

Ummmm. How do you run out of what is essentially a bunch of numbers? What are they sending these things out on CDs?

25$ is pretty outrageous but I guess if someone likes WoW enough, and has enough disposable income, then it's not really any of my business.

Never played WoW honestly, I just remembered this comic, but I feel it applies to many companies.

Looks like they're just flying off the shelves.

And i can add another item on my list of reasons not to go back.

It looks cool, honestly if I was still playing I would get one of these.

Looks way better than the sparkle pony.

so why did they make it look like the lion of the White Lion from Warhammer Online ?

its not that theyre 'running out' but i think they have employees manually activating them.

As for prestige, "I have $25" never really seemed like something worth bragging.

However"I was prepared to pug Tempest keep for 2 years straight, but only had do run it for 3 months and now i ride on a blazing phoenix and am better than all'a 'yall" THATS something i take pride in flaunting. =P And once you have an Ashes of Alar, any other flying mount, aside from a Mimi's head, or Onyxian Drake just doesnt really have any impact. =P

I just don't understand why anyone would pay 25$ for something like this.. There are soooo many things i'd rather spend those money on.

Alar:

CM156:

Are they fake? Digital, yes. Fake? No. You will actually get this mount in the game.

Pah-ta-to, pah-tah-to. Tah-ma-to, tah-mah-to
Thanks though, I fixed that.
But my point is that you are paying money for something that does not exist in the real world in a tangable sense.

Well that looks awful, not as bad as sparkle pony, but still awful.

I was shocked when so many people spent $25 on sparkle pony, I still can't see why people will buy this. $25 puts you half way to a new game and the mount is purely cosmetic. If people will pay for it I can't fault Blizzard for selling it.

I am getting a good laugh out of the people on the WoW forums calling this "a desperate move" and a sign that "the game is going downhill".

Om nom nom. So it's finally out? Time to open up my wallet.

The Rogue Wolf:
Well, it's not a sparkle-pony, so it has that. But in some of those shots, it looks like a winged elephant. Not something I'd spring half a Grant on.

Also, Blizz... where the hell is my rideable Sporebat? Epic opportunity wasted and never returned to.

Psst. Get exalted with Sha'tari Skyguard. There's 5 of them.

I have a huge wishlist of games waiting to be purchased on GOG and 25 bucks for 3 games (or 4 $6 games) sounds like a better deal than a stupid mount.

CM156:

Alar:

CM156:

But my point is that you are paying money for something that does not exist in the real world in a tangable sense.

And this is a problem all of the sudden, why? I'm fairly certain this has been happening for years and years with many companies.

This isn't to say something is 'fine' just because it's been around for a while or other people do it, I just don't understand why everyone is getting all upset about it now when practically every other big developer out there does the same damn thing.

Enkidu88:

Greg Tito:
is any indication there is already a waiting list 3,000 strong.

Ummmm. How do you run out of what is essentially a bunch of numbers? What are they sending these things out on CDs?

25$ is pretty outrageous but I guess if someone likes WoW enough, and has enough disposable income, then it's not really any of my business.

When you buy one, they give you a key to redeem. Like a CD key. They have to generate them.

OT: If I still played WoW, I'd buy one.

CM156:

Alar:

CM156:

The games you buy on Steam and your software are not tangible. :x

And morons are going to buy this shit while african kids die of starvation. This useless cosmetic non-existant thing is going to rake in obscene amounts of money (I mean, it's not like you could give the money to charity right?). Quite funny actually, I'm curious as to how much money this'll make.

Alar:

CM156:

Alar:

And this is a problem all of the sudden, why? I'm fairly certain this has been happening for years and years with many companies.

This isn't to say something is 'fine' just because it's been around for a while or other people do it, I just don't understand why everyone is getting all upset about it now when practically every other big developer out there does the same damn thing.

Meh. Honestly as far as DLC goes Blizzard is not the worst offender by far.

Hi, EA. I'm looking at your Sims 3 store.

DoctorPhil:
And morons are going to buy this shit, this useless cosmetic non-existant thing is going to rake in obscene amounts of money. Quite funny actually, I'm curious as to how much money this'll make.

Just because it's intangible does not mean it doesn't exist. You have plenty of intangible things, like all your software, for example. You have plenty of useless things that you don't really need either, but no one else is calling you a moron for it.

TheYellowCellPhone:

Never played WoW honestly, I just remembered this comic, but I feel it applies to many companies.

That lion thing looks suspiciously like that new mount...

Taunta:

CM156:

Alar:

The games you buy on Steam and your software are not tangible. :x

Alar:

CM156:

Alar:

The point --->

Your head --->

Really though, my point is that you are paying real world money for an item in game, rather than ingame money.

It was more a sarcastic dig than any real point. I don't have a problem with it myself, I was just making a joke.

Taunta:

The Rogue Wolf:

Psst. Get exalted with Sha'tari Skyguard. There's 5 of them.

Not the nether rays. I don't like those. I mean the sporebats, with the glowing bellies and tail-bobbers. These guys.

I think they're cool, what can I say.

I bought Cataclysm.. and never played it..

The common gripe about all those things, including character transfers and whatnot is actually the fact that there already is 15$ / month subscription to the game and an expac every 1.5-2 years for full game price to fund the Blizzard's Money Swimming Pool.

Yes, yes, those things take development resource i know, i know, but then maybe really Blizz should focus on making the content then. Cataclysm already managed to annoy many of fans with delays on Firelands, lack of Path of the Titans and lowering the difficulty, slapping another paid mount is really not the best thing Blizz could do at the moment... but eh, they have the benefit of large player base that includes enough people that will buy it to save them time on getting the normal mount.

When they started this with the Celestial Steed and Lil' XT, I thought "Hey, that's pretty cool. I don't mind spending a little money on a cool mount that transfers across all of my characters and a little pet that annoys the hell out of any area I'm in." It was alright... The pets, I'm still ok with... But the mounts are going too far... One or two is alright... But the mounts you buy shouldn't be more elaborate than mounts you work hard to earn through raiding, or pvp... This is just sad. Oh well... I don't play that life eating game anymore... So I guess it doesn't affect me.

The fact that people will buy pets and mounts like this paved the way for the upcoming premium service, which I am peeved about.

Decent looking mount though. Has more effort put into it than most of the poorly reskinned mounts they throw out in new patches.

Keava:
The common gripe about all those things, including character transfers and whatnot is actually the fact that there already is 15$ / month subscription to the game and an expac every 1.5-2 years for full game price to fund the Blizzard's Money Swimming Pool.

Yes, yes, those things take development resource i know, i know, but then maybe really Blizz should focus on making the content then. Cataclysm already managed to annoy many of fans with delays on Firelands, lack of Path of the Titans and lowering the difficulty, slapping another paid mount is really not the best thing Blizz could do at the moment... but eh, they have the benefit of large player base that includes enough people that will buy it to save them time on getting the normal mount.

If you think Cataclysm has a lower difficulty than Wrath of the Lich King then you are dead wrong. Also part of the reason of the delay of the Firelands is because the majority of players haven't gotten Defender of a Shattered World yet, which is only a testament to its increased difficulty. And hey, if delaying it means getting a better raiding experience with new encounters, instead of Onyxia/Naxx again, then I'm all for it.

Also it doesn't save time on getting the normal mount. You still have to be the appropriate level and have the appropriate riding skill to learn it. So really it only saves you like 60 silver.

TheYellowCellPhone:

Cid SilverWing:

TheYellowCellPhone:
-image snip-

The comic actually was made a few months ago in March, so it's some sort of coincidence.

Unsure if you're kidding, but that mount's been in the PTR for a while. MMO-champ featured an article on it with the unfinished model a while back.

Cid SilverWing:

TheYellowCellPhone:
-image snip-

The comic actually was made a few months ago in March, so it's some sort of coincidence.

Wolfram01:
Winged Guardian Leviosa...

*groan*

Raiyan 1.0:
The main question is...

Will you be able to buy it armor?

Bravo, good sir, bravo!

OT: Meh. Dunno why anyone would wanna buy a mount when there are so damn many other cool mounts to choose from. Before i quit i had a Netherdrake, a green Proto-Drake, Headless Horseman's Steed, and a few other rare-ish ones. And i could have had far more if i wanted to take the time to look for them. But, if people wanna spend money on this, i guess that's their prerogative. I'm not one to condemn a company for practicing capitalism as long as they're fair in that practice; and let's be honest, if people are willing to pay the money for something that won't change the balance of the game, it's fair.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here