DC Comics Rebooting Entire Universe Back to #1

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

DC Comics Rebooting Entire Universe Back to #1

DC Comics has announced a historic reboot and redesign for its entire line of superheroes.

DC Comics is currently running a storyline called Flashpoint that involves the Flash (Barry Allen version) and his experiences in a strange timeline where the world's superheroes are very different than they once were in memory. In a bombshell announcement, DC has revealed that Flashpoint will lead into a reboot of the entire DC Universe.

Starting on August 31, DC Comics will renumber 52 different books back to #1. Every single title that takes place in the DC Universe will be affected. It isn't just a renumbering either, as DC is also redesigning costumes, storylines, characters... everything. All 52 #1 issues will launch over a period of 5 weeks.

The flagship book appears to be Justice League #1, which teams DC superstar scribe Geoff Johns with artist extraordinaire and current DC co-publisher Jim Lee. The first image from the reboot (seen below) was done by Jim Lee, partially showing how DC plans to redesign its universe's characters. The idea is to make things more contemporary, but the changes aren't incredibly drastic or anything going by this particular image. Superman's outfit and younger appearance look to be the most changed.

"We really want to inject new life in our characters and line," DC Comics co-publisher Dan DiDio told USA Today. "This was a chance to start, not at the beginning, but at a point where our characters are younger and the stories are being told for today's audience."

Justice League #1 will also mark the further entry of comic books into the digital age. Though digital comic books are becoming more common, neither DC nor Marvel have begun to release digital versions of all their books alongside the print versions day-and-date. Starting with Justice League #1, all 52 titles featured in the reboot will be released both digitally and physically on the same day.

It's a bold move that risks alienating hardcore fans, but then, doesn't everything? Discovering how DC will reboot big stars like Batman and Superman, in addition to the rest of its roster, should make the coming weeks very interesting.

Source: DC Comics, USA Today

Well, this is going to be a landmark on the Retcon page...

So... is this going to be a *real* reboot, or can we expect Earth-1 Earth-2 type nonsense in 5 years?

DC stands for Defective Continuity.

I'm uh... you know, I don't really care about DC comics that much, to be honest, so I can't really comment on the move. But that minigun is growing from Green Lantern's crotch. Very clearly, that is a penisgun.

I could see this going very badly with the comic community,

However I'm more than a little curious to see all the redesigns and the reaction to the 'reboot'

I do however think the digital download and print versions coming out at the same time is a good move by DC. Giving people without a comic store 9or the socially inept) a chance to read all the latest stories.

Finally, digital comics are here.

To be honest I think this will be pretty cool, although I don't really follow continuity much since you can work up what's happening in the first couple of panels. Most comics start with "I am ______ and ______ has been ______ recently all up in Metropolis/Gotham/Coast City/The sea"

They just seemed to have made them all look a bit younger and the Green lantern more angular. Also its Geoff Johns behind it, he made Blackest Night pretty kick ass so I have faith.

All will be well.

MovieBob shit-storm anyone?

Soooo..... this....

In all honesty, best thing for them. The ultimate series was the best idea Marvel have had in the last decade. Start it all from scratch get new people interesting in comics, so they don't have to go through all the bullshit continuity.

That might even work out for them. I actually think that picture doesn't look too bad. But then, I'll be happy as long as Batman doesn't change too drastically.

Wow, maybe i'll actually start reading them, without having to worry about 1000 years worth of continuity

also for some reason this page took like 7-8 minutes to load o,o

Fangface74:
MovieBob shit-storm anyone?

Doubt it, He himself has said on several occasions comics should be more accessible so that kids can actually read them. So yeah... I reckon he may actually get behind this... but don't hold me to it.

I was going to bitch about how this whole reboot and younger cast thing didn't work that well with Marvel's Ultimates line, but you know what? Fuck it. It's not like they're getting rid of anything good. The big two haven't put out a decent storyline since Secret Wars, and there's no reason this will be any worse than the current offerings. If it works out alright maybe I'll buy DC comics some more.

I never got into comics because, well, fuck reading 60 years worth of comics for hundreds of heros just to get caught up.
I am actually really interested in this, and if I can pay online and have a comic delivered to my inbox every month (Week? month?) then that greatly increases the odds of buying.

Hahaha, what? The Crisis-storylines were not enough?
God, they going to reboot Batman, eh? FUCK THAT.

At last, it was about time that they did something inteligent like marvelīs ultimate print and let the rest of the mortals enjoy their characters without having to learn decades of continuity

xitel:
That minigun is growing from Green Lantern's crotch. Very clearly, that is a penisgun.

Green Lantern's powers are only limited by his Imaaaaginaaaaation!

Are they hurting for readers or something?

DC's universe is such a mess that this almost has to happen. I hope Power Girl survives the reboot.

The whole alternate history quantum timeline reboot is getting cliched and feels like a tired effort to breath new life into aging franchises. The franchises sould be allowed to sit on their laurels and retire in peace, basking in the glory of times past, rather than suffer this indignity.

This would of happen at some point well it's happen now since after all there were those golden and silver ages comics. Those characters don't ages with us (like 50 years later would we see a 50+ age superman?) since they just make them younger again.

Another reboot from DC... whoop-dee-freakin-doo.

Podunk:

xitel:
That minigun is growing from Green Lantern's crotch. Very clearly, that is a penisgun.

Green Lantern's powers are only limited by his Imaaaaginaaaaation!

Naw, its clearly a http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/5/19/

Isn't this all DC ever does?

Limecake:
I could see this going very badly with the comic community,

However I'm more than a little curious to see all the redesigns and the reaction to the 'reboot'

I do however think the digital download and print versions coming out at the same time is a good move by DC. Giving people without a comic store 9or the socially inept) a chance to read all the latest stories.

I'm a hardcore comic fan, and I like the idea of a reboot. I just hope that there isn't any Crisis on Infinite Earths bullshit in this reboot.

Anywho...I don't think that they've changed too much. Really, the only changes I can see are in Aquaman, Wonder Woman, and Superman.

Grant Morrison is writing the new Superman. Since he wrote All Star Superman, the best superhero comic of the last decade, I'm happy.

Look at my own thread for more info

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.288355-DC-Comics-Reboot-is-coming

Hmm, interesting, I mean it's good having a fresh start with nothing else getting in the way, but I was really enjoying the current Batman story line, is it just going to suddenly end or what?

Also, I'm not sure how I feel about Thomas Wayne being Batman. I mean Bruce became BATman because he's scared of bats, because his father wore that bizarre bat costume once, and because a bat came crashing through his window. What reason does Thomas have to become Batman?

Mind you so long as he's reasonably similar to Bruce I'll be okay with it and I might just start collecting comics again if this is the case, I can collect the one Batman series and follow the story cleanly without having the mad string and paper diagrams on my wall like I do now so I can gather all the various bits. Trust me, collecting the Death and Rebirth of Batman storyline is NOT fun. It's a great read, but getting hold of it is expensive and a massive pain in the arse.

So long Boob......erhm I mean Powergirl still exists......

And in 5 years time, if that, it'll be just as much of a continuity snarl up as it is now.
Then they'll have another Crisis.

Anyway, the problem isn't continuity, the problem is writers who don't know how to handle the continuity. I remember picking up some issues of X-Men in the early 90s after a 10 year break only to discover that Chris Claremont was so enraptured of advancing each of his zillion storylines by one page an issue that it was literally impossible to work out what was going on.

Just because a series has 20 or 30 or more years of continuity doesn't mean it all has to be referenced every single bloody issue. That's what writers forget, and that's why so much of their stuff is so impenetrable to the casual reader.

Hasn't DC already done this sort of thing before? Only to back out of it eventually?

Crisis on infinite earths take 2? Honestly, when they did there first landmark company wide reboot back in.. 86? was it? anyways, back when they did that, and started the stories fresh and new, with updated origians and most of the slate wiped clean, I really got into comics back then... it was a jumping on point.

read comics pretty regualarly for 20 some odd years now, or longer. Longer i guess, i started no too long after the reboot.. bah, i gets hazy when you consider it's been almost 25 years. LOL But, i've lost touch with modern comics. They started pulling some crap that I really didn't like a few years back, long list of things, but the highlights being basically the returning of the old guard to replace the new guys *I* grew up with. (Kayle Ryner, Wally West, Impulse, Batgirl got turned evil or something, young justice got reconned into a crappy teen titans, legion of superheros... eh, don't even get me started) then the muiltverse came back... Infinite crisis, 52 something other other, batmans running a bording school...whatever, i left.

About the only way i'd consider reentering the comicbook landscape was if they did something... kind of like this. Reboot, restart, and try again. Sooo.. we'll see. I'm not overly optimistic to be honest. Comics have been CRAP for years now... but a little guarded optimisium is what i'm feeling when i heard this news.

Thing is, that with DC their costumes can't be changed drastically without loads of people kicking up a storm. So hence why all their heroes up there look similar still.

Marvel on the other hand can change costumes a fair bit, that's why Spiderman's original costume has gone through several re-models.

Should be a good idea for them to do though, although they do risk annoying the current fan-base by going "let's forget about all these current storyline's we're doing. REBOOT TIME"

MB202:
Hasn't DC already done this sort of thing before? Only to back out of it eventually?

Constantly, it's kind of their thing.

Anyway, they really seem dead set in giving pants to Wonder Woman lately, don't they?

Oh, THANK GOD for this. Trying to retcon all of the insane crap the DC universe has done since the silver age has caused a LOT of really stupid plotlines to develop. I tried to pick up a few DC comics at one point but couldn't get into it because of how convoluted everything had gotten. Maybe now with "#1" I can get into it. Hopefully this will mark a drastic improvement in the collective stories' consistency, creativity, and plots. Anyone who doesn't think this is the right way to go is either WAY too attached to their comics or just a really, REALLY cynical person.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here