Live-Action Prey 2 Trailer Will Change Your Mind

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The new live-action Prey 2 trailer has me very suddenly thinking that maybe this game isn't going to be a complete waste of time after all.

Prey was actually a pretty solid shooter when it came out back in 2006 but it came and went without much notice and despite the promise of bigger and better adventures ahead for the hero, Tommy, that was pretty much the end of the tale until earlier this year, when an in-the-works sequel was outed by a French gaming magazine. Good news! But it soon became apparent that Tommy and virtually everything else from the original game had been discarded and that Prey 2 would be a sequel in name only. A lot of folks, myself included, wondered out loud about the point of making a Prey sequel that didn't have any Prey in it, and that naturally shifted into a widely-held attitude of "they changed it, now it sucks."

Perhaps that was premature.

This Prey 2 E3 trailer is hot. Yes, I know that E3 isn't until next week and yes, I know that this is a cinematic video and not indicative of gameplay, but given the unusual circumstances the first thing Human Head and Bethesda need to do is convince gamers that it's okay for Prey 2 to be a completely separate and different experience. In that, at least, I think it's fair to say, "mission accomplished." I'm suddenly looking forward to Prey 2 a lot more than I was yesterday.

Prey 2 is expected to come out in 2012 for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Thanks to RagnorakTres for the tip.

See all our coverage directly from the show floor.

Don't know why, but I was smirking and giving little snickers throughout the entire video. I think the music, which was perfect in my opinion, was the culprit.

As a friend if mine put it last night, they should just scrap the game, and expand this to a full length movie

Wow. Just wow. That is probably the sexiest live action trailer I have ever seen. Kudos to Human Head, this game looks amazing(If those first person shots are anything to go by).

Well it's not live action, but it is rather bountiful.

I almost forgot how awesome Johnny Cash's version of Rusty Cage was. If this trailer did anything, it was remind me of that.

I read about this game in Edge. It's put my worries to rest. The game looks great, and I'm kind of happy that a sequel to a game doesn't just do what the first one did.

So, it's essentially the Iron Man suit, piloted by Boba Fett? Can't see how that can get any better!

NekoDaimyo:
As a friend if mine put it last night, they should just scrap the game, and expand this to a full length movie

Really a movie? Clearly this is a series. Probably would make a full season on fox before they canceled it sadly. But people would be talking about how awesome it was after they do.

Allow me to put my cynical hat on for a moment:

Does gameplay ever measure up to cinematics? Ever? At all?

Also, since this clearly has bugger-all to do with Prey 1, why not just make it a new IP? It's not like the name "Prey" is a big seller or anything.

Judging from the reason for the thing's bounty ("Anti-regime efforts", it says on the HUD), and the way he shoots those guys stuck in the bubble grenade, I'd say our hero's working for the bad guys at the start.

This trailer is pure sex. I am now going to be watching this game thoroughly throughout E3 and beyond. The music and the Marshall badge, everything is just awesome.

First they had a Native American protagonist and in my mind they now have a Cowboy as a protagonist. Prey's universe is the 'old west' in space and by that fact alone, I'm sold.

SirCannonFodder:
Judging from the reason for the thing's bounty ("Anti-regime efforts", it says on the HUD), and the way he shoots those guys stuck in the bubble grenade, I'd say our hero's working for the bad guys at the start.

Just watched it a second time, stopping frames and I think the client is jut the Company/Person who put the bounty on the guy, because when Brute showed up (the giant guy at the end) it was a different Client, "Ceros Collective". Not saying you're wrong that the protagonist isn't working for the bad guys, just saying that he's not 'working' for one group in particular.

mcnally86:

NekoDaimyo:

Really a movie? Clearly this is a series. Probably would make a full season on fox before they canceled it sadly. But people would be talking about how awesome it was after they do.

They would just make it to the 14th episode, though, but they would manage to make a movie, but after that, the original cast would be so busy with other things that getting them together would be nigh impossible.

Andy Chalk:

The new live-action Prey 2 trailer has me very suddenly thinking that maybe this game isn't going to be a complete waste of time after all.

Prey was actually a pretty solid shooter when it came out back in 2006 but it came and went without much notice and despite the promise of bigger and better adventures ahead for the hero, Tommy, that was pretty much the end of the tale until earlier this year, when an in-the-works sequel was outed by a French gaming magazine. Good news! But it soon became apparent that Tommy and virtually everything else from the original game had been discarded and that Prey 2 would be a sequel in name only. A lot of folks, myself included, wondered out loud about the point of making a Prey sequel that didn't have any Prey in it, and that naturally shifted into a widely-held attitude of "they changed it, now it sucks."

Perhaps that was premature.

This Prey 2 E3 trailer is hot. Yes, I know that E3 isn't until next week and yes, I know that this is a cinematic video and not indicative of gameplay, but given the unusual circumstances the first thing Human Head and Bethesda need to do is convince gamers that it's okay for Prey 2 to be a completely separate and different experience. In that, at least, I think it's fair to say, "mission accomplished." I'm suddenly looking forward to Prey 2 a lot more than I was yesterday.

Prey 2 is expected to come out in 2012 for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Thanks to RagnorakTres for the tip.

Yeah, I originally though I might actually look into prey as being a horror game, slightly undermined by a lack of death scare. Now it looks like a game about a space marine shooting, shot from the first person (GEE THAT'S NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE).

So it does change my opinion. Instead of being an improved horror game, it looks like it's now going to be generic pap. Yeah, I know you said "fans" of the first game would complain about it changing, but I'm not a fan. I'm not saying something shouldn't change, but "prey" doesn't evoke the image of an FPS for me.

On top of that, while I accept that it could be a good move to go into FPS market if it's a good FPS, I am somewhat concerned about this: firstly, they don't have the confidence to show actual gameplay. Which never bodes well. Secondly, how much experience have these guys had with FPS's? Bathesda's brink?

Prey 2 could be a good game, but if it is the next half-life of shooters that revolutionises everything and wins a game of the decade award, this advert has NOT convinced me that it's good.

chstens:

mcnally86:

NekoDaimyo:

They would just make it to the 14th episode, though, but they would manage to make a movie, but after that, the original cast would be so busy with other things that getting them together would be nigh impossible.

It could go another way though. They could put it in a terrible time slot and no one will know about it. That is until the poorly named syfy channel picks it up and plays the entire show which ends in a cliffhanger because they never filmed the last 2 episodes. This inspires lots of nerd rage on forums about how a show they never heard of was too good to be canceled at such a crucial point in the plot. Less Firefly more Threshold. Although now that I think about it I know 5 shows off the top of my head that fit the second scenario exactly.

The Cheezy One:
So, it's essentially the Iron Man suit, piloted by Boba Fett? Can't see how that can get any better!

Not to mention the lack of moral code, meaning there's plenty of killing to be done. Yeap, not a better way to put it. Sure, it's cinematic, but if it's anything like this (chasing bounties through alien urban scapes) I can barely get any happier. Makes me think of this awesome Boba Fett game I played years ago on the GameCube.

It ain't live action.

But god-damn is it sexy.

Just need to see the actual game and then I'll make proper judgement.

I don't see the point in live action trailers for games.

I hope to see what the actual game looks like some time.

Space-Bounty-Hunter. Needs to be done more often.

Whilst I've been excited to see more for a while now, I really want to see some gameplay. Well, it's only a week until E3.

This was live-action? I dunno about that, however if it is...

It has better visuals and action then most big budget summer action films. Definitely impressed by the trailer, still skeptical of the game, but now I am sat here wondering what the hell Hollywood has been doing all this time when a gaming company can make far better action sequences.

Andy Chalk:

Wait, this is live action? Or are you talking about the previous live-action trailer? Because if that was live-action, why the hell did Human Head kill off our first contact with alien lifeforms?

Still, that was a pretty kickass trailer. I love the idea of a human bounty hunter in an alien world, and I hope those jet-boots make an appearance in the game.

Screw the game this looks like it could make an awesome film!

I was a massive Prey fan and while I am a little sad they are dropping Tommy I am excited for this. I believe a pre-order will be happening when I can.

Zhukov:
Allow me to put my cynical hat on for a moment:

Does gameplay ever measure up to cinematics? Ever? At all?

Also, since this clearly has bugger-all to do with Prey 1, why not just make it a new IP? It's not like the name "Prey" is a big seller or anything.

That's basically a sum-up of my own thoughts.

Now, I'm liking what I can see about the story and character of the game in the video, but in the end it comes down to gameplay, so I ain't gonna start giving it even a moments thought until I see some gameplay footage.

And as you so rightly point out, resurrecting the name of an old game is both a smart move and a dick move.

People who liked the original will get interested, and people who didn't even hear of its existence won't give a damn, but in either case, you're setting people up for disappointment, which is just plain evil in my book.

I don't mind they calling it Prey. If we're hunting people down, the name fits.
But, don't call it Prey 2 and market it as a sequel to the original Prey, when you have no intention of making it such.

You see, I totally said at the time "I think we should wait and see" and everyone was all like "NAW WE DON'T LIKE!" and now this awesome piece of awesome shows up.

Seriously though, if the game play is anything like this, then it could be one of the best games of the year.

And also, it's pretty much guaranteed Tommy will show up. I'm pretty sure there'll be some big overarching storyline where he'll have some big role in inter-stellar relationships or something.

SirCannonFodder:

I got the same impression. Take a listen to what the alien says just before he's teleported away - does it not sound distinctly like "They're using you?" Or perhaps, "They're using yukkkurghligk." I get the feeling we're going to see the time-honoured "eye-opening/changing sides" maneuver at some point.

Unfortunately, being live-action, it shows nothing the gameplay, which is always suspicious. So, are they going to make a movie with this? The plot can go damn itself when the visuals look this good.

I imagine the this is how a planetside Mass Effect universe would look like, better than ME2.

it looks pretty awesome and I would be excited if this wasn't prey 2, but I loved the first one and I have no Idea where this is supposed to fit in, where not the aliens going to eat everyone and leave until the human race repopulated? maybe they'll work it together, but I liked the uniqueness of the first one, and while this does look pretty awesome I really see no resemblance, kinda depressed by this.

This looks awesome. And while I did like Prey, I disliked Tommy. So I'm not too unhappy with this change. And there aren't enough space bounty hunter games out there!

That is an incredible trailer, and I had already intended to purchase Prey 2 since the announcement of its release.

I am a bit disappointed that they decided to scrap the original character (even if he was kind of annoying) and story. I so rarely get to see a person of Native American heritage as a hero of a video game, and the way Tommy felt about the reservation and his culture is something a lot of native people feel growing up (myself included).

All that being said, I'm sure the game will be a blast and a half, even with the seemingly stereotypical silent white male protagonist.

"The new live-action Prey 2 trailer has me very suddenly thinking that maybe this game isn't going to be a complete waste of time after all."

Shame upon you Mr.Chalk

I liked Prey and the way this game could go....looks like it could be badass

This looks great. Is there a reason for calling it Prey 2, though? Other than the money?

The Johnny Cash song is what sold me on it initially. And then I started thinking.

In the first Prey, you were the prey, correct? (I have not played it yet, I intend to correct that at some point.) Well, if what I'm seeing and thinking is correct, perhaps this one would be more appropriately called "Predator" (assuming they could call it that without getting sued into next century). You're playing a deputy air marshal turned alien bounty hunter, that'd make you much more a predator than prey (unless there's some serious turning around that occurs in the second act).

Anyway, this is by far the best trailer I've seen in a long time. If the game is anything like this trailer, it'll be 2 parts Crysis (nanosuit, anyone?) to 2 parts Assassin's Creed (platforming, albeit in the first person) to 1 part Mass Effect (exotic aliens! powerful weapons! galaxy-spanning plots?). Which seems like a good mix for any game to aspire to.

That was live action? Didn't look like it, but frakking cool.

If the end credits song is another After Midnight Project song, I'll play it for that reason alone. That's why I played the first one.

I said it for Crysis 2 and I'll say it for Prey 2. It could be a great game, but it'll probably be a lousy sequel.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here