Apple Patents Anti-Piracy Technology

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Um, do not support. Do not support at all. If I want to take pictures at a concert, I damn well should be able to. And Apple needs to stop trying to control what I do with MY STUFF.

The only real place I could see these being of usefull-ness is just in the movie theaters and maybe cutting down on crappy shaky youtube clips of concerts.

Thankfully by patenting it this will keep other companies from using it on their devices as well, just Apple products but I could be wrong there. D:

Edit: And I'm damn sure someone will crack this in a matter of days or hours when it comes out and even worse might abuse it...

So people record movies with their iphones? Thats new to me, i mean who would watch that? Meh.. I'm getting my android phone tomorrow so i couldn't care less about apples business, not to mention that this feature will be hacked in a matter of days, wouldn't even work in my country.

Woo, go apple! You tell those dirty people who want to record part of a performance that they're evil!

Wait, hang on, I have a 20 second clip of slash playing because in all likelyhood i'll never see that again and I like to relive it. Am I a pirate now? :O

So, how many cracks have been developed already? I'm guessing 73.

Hmm, now we just gotta wait for a case where someone was raped or murdered, and any possible video or audio evidence that would have been present at said concert or theater will now be gone. Thanks apple.

I'm all for trying to keep down piracy, but this is a bit... ludicrous per-say?

weirdguy:
Y'know, all they'd have to do is figure out how to shut off the infrared receiver.

Or, you know, just cover the receiver that will block the IR.

I'm really glad Apple have patented this, it'll prevent it from being included in my beloved Android phones.

It's a pretty evil idea, though. If I buy a tekn technolig gadget, it should do what I tell it to. If I choose to pirate something, that should be my choice, and up to me to deal with the consequences. Perhaps in the particular situation I'm in at the time it might not be piracy? My device should not be able to prevent me from using one of it's functions just because I might be using it in a "naughty" way. This is the same kind of reasoning as to why I refuse to buy an i-anything. No iPod, no iPad, no iPhone, not ever. Apple try too hard to control the user experience. They are the antithesis of how I prefer to use technology.

Depending on the strength of the signal, covering it might not work as well as you think it would.

beema:
time to go back to these:

I'm totally down for less d-bags holding up phones at shows, but this wont stop traditional cameras (unless they implement a similar thing).

With a strong enough IR signal, you could blow those up, just like every other recording camera system.

I'm not allowed to mention exactly what it takes to build a system strong enough to destroy one(it's pretty cheap if you know what to look for). It's not much cheaper to build a system that will disable one, temporarily.

So... I guess they're just telling everyone to never buy another iPhone ever again, right?

Yeah. This is to be expected. Apple isn't very good anyway.

PC is stronger and more user friendly than mac.
Sansa is leagues more user friendly than iPod and it lets me get music from multiple computers and transfer music from my Sansa to all of my computers.
Droid isn't that far ahead of iPhone, but it's preferable.

So, this won't effect me. Not only because I don't buy apple products, but because honestly, if I want to film something for high quality viewing I'm not going to bust out a cell phone. I'll pull out my camera that is specifically designed to film things well.

Frankly I don't see why recording artists care if people record a live show. The sound and video quality is going to be crap, and it's just ot going to be the same as actually being at a concert. In fact I remember reading on the Queens of the Stone Age's website that they were going to set a site up for people to trade concert recordings. Not sure if they actually did this or not.

Apple, patenting user restrictions since 2011.

Slapping your users with an enforced usage restriction with absolutely no benefit to them is not the way to regain that lost market share apple.

Jaegerwolf:

weirdguy:
Y'know, all they'd have to do is figure out how to shut off the infrared receiver.

Also this ^. It's light, it doesn't pass through opaque objects.
So it's a pointless user restriction that can be bypassed with duct tape.....

In this day and age of HD media, people are still prepared to watch shaky low quality cams from a handheld device?

And wouldn't the people filming this stuff for distribution be using a device that actually had a half decent camera?

Probably just sony trying to suck up to record labels and movie studios.

EDIT:

cfehunter:
Apple, patenting user restrictions since 2011.

Slapping your users with an enforced usage restriction with absolutely no benefit to them is not the way to regain that lost market share apple.

Jaegerwolf:

weirdguy:

Also this ^. It's light, it doesn't pass through opaque objects.
So it's a pointless user restriction that can be bypassed with duct tape.....

Had you considered the idea of mounting the ir sensor in with the camera module, or making it part of the camera itself?

And this is why people Jail Break their iDevices. I am the consumer, and I will utilize my devices how I want; not how the businesses want me to use it. If I violate a law, that is on me. It is not up the apple to decide what I can and cannot do.

YES PLEASE. This would both get rid of those schmucks holding their iPhone up at concerts AND get rid of those SHIT YouTube phone recordings you have to sift to to get to the ACTUAL pro-shot recording of a good concert. So this is only positive.

Sigh.

Everyone has missed the point of this. Its not about stopping piracy, its about preventing non-apple devices from being allowed into gigs/theaters. See, once some theater adopts this technology only apple devices will be allowed to be used in the theater as they will be the only ones to have the tech. All other devices will either have to be switched off or not brought in.

I don't think this will take off at gigs since most bands don't seem to care about this, but it could work in theaters.

Greg Tito:
Apple Patents Anti-Piracy Technology

Your iPhone might soon detect whether you are recording that concert and shut itself off.

Piracy is a bad thing. We all know that, right? Right? But I'm also not a big fan of corporations taking away the rights of consumers to use their products in ways the designers might not have intended. Apple is patenting technology which will add the ability for future iterations of the iPhone to automatically detect whether the user is capturing video of a musical performance or a film presentation and disable the camera.

The technology involved is somewhat ingenious. Movie theaters, for example, already use infrared signals broadcasting to individual hearing-aid devices and Apple intends for future iPhones to detect these signals, clueing the device into the fact that its user is watching a film. If you decide to take out your iPhone and perhaps record the X-Men: First Class this weekend, and then possibly upload that file for everyone to see, then you are violating IP law. The proposed technology would prevent you from ever transferring the movie into bits stored on your phone.

The same goes for music concerts, except that performers would have to start blasting infrared signals out into the audience for it to be effective. This I'm actually in favor of, because the amount of schmucks holding up an iPhone at concerts has got to be reduced somehow. What happened to actually enjoying the show? What's with all the freaking pictures, people?

Another, even wierder possibility is for the iPhone to automatically place a watermark over any image taken, instead of disabling photographs altogether. So you might be able to snap a shot at that Lady Gaga show, but the URL to LadyGaga.com will be emblazoned all over it. Ugh.

Now, on the other hand, this tech could be used for good and not for evil, by allowing museums or other landmarks to blast infrared data to the iPhone so that you could get a description of the landscape or historical document you are seeing. Kind of like a digital tour guide without the dirty headset.

Source: Patently Apple

Another reason why I don't have any of the apple products and will never buy any.

As stated many times already, who honestly cares about some shaky bluury phone recording of a live concert, apart rfom the person who filmed it? I'd think hardly anyone, would actually want to spend time watching it.

As for movies... Honestly, if you're gona pirate something, you're not gonna go for the crappy version filmed in a theater with an iphone, better versions will be up anyways.

Is it a specific infrared signal, or just infrared in general? good luck filming your friend flailing around on the Wii, if infrared turns off your phone.

Seriously, shouldn't they be developing awesome stuff instead of spending their time and money on stuff that'll make their product less popular?

Seems like it will have a lot of false enforcements. Lots of things produce inferred rays after-all. You could just be opening and closeing your garage door and BAM Iphone lock-up.

Greg Tito:
Piracy is a bad thing. We all know that, right?

Of course. Bootlegging (or "real" piracy) is wrong. Sharing is right :)
http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,710976,00.html

Because the most high quality stuff you can torrent surely are fucking handy videos.
Apple to the rescue.

You see this Apple-tards? This is why i don't buy apple products.

Why are big companies so consistently stupid?

I assume this is not the place to dispute the "Piracy is bad" bandwagon.

Though fighting ignorance should be appropriate everywhere.

Greg Tito:
The same goes for music concerts, except that performers would have to start blasting infrared signals out into the audience for it to be effective. This I'm actually in favor of, because the amount of schmucks holding up an iPhone at concerts has got to be reduced somehow. What happened to actually enjoying the show? What's with all the freaking pictures, people?

Yeah, God forbid you'd want to take a picture of something you've enjoyed so you can share a bit of the experience with friends who weren't there or look back on it 10 years later and say "man, I remember the song that was on when I took that shot". I mean, cameras are for taking shots of yourself in the bathroom mirror and slapping them onto Facebook, not immortalizing moments of your life, didn't you know that by now?

Thedek:
Why are big companies so consistently stupid?

Apple has quite a knack for it. It's one of the reasons I'll likely never ever buy any of their products under penalty of death tbh. Fortunately, the iPhone doesn't have the monopoly on that market anymore.

Recording gigs is illegal? Ahwell, my camera was so shitty I could barely tell it was Paramore, and the audio was TOO loud for my sound to pick up..

Also - opinion Y U ESCAPISTS SHARE IT?

Scrumpmonkey:

They prefer to be called iSheep, thank you very much. :P

I am all for this. Maybe people will finally learn to stop buying apple and put their money into good devices.

Soooooo.... I'm out with my friends at a gig in some pub and I whip out my Iphone and start recording my mates having fun, you know, for remembering the next day. Only now the Iphone goes "WUZZAT? LOUD MUSIC AND MOVING PICTURES? Ya stinkin pirate!" *turns off

Yup, I can tell apple have fully grasped practicality. Fuck you jobs.

FelixG:

Scrumpmonkey:

They prefer to be called iSheep, thank you very much. :P

I am all for this. Maybe people will finally learn to stop buying apple and put their money into good devices.

You know i don't like making seemingly fanboyish comments like this but every time i attempt i reasoned argument about apple products i get into a towering apple based rage. Like the time some smug anus decided to go on a lecture about how Apple products couldn't get viruses and especially Macs. "It is impossible for a Mac to get a Virus" they spout. They don't have evidence of this. They have Faith in it. Their Beleif in the superiority of apple products and therefore the superiority of themselves over you for using apple products is almost religious in nature.

All the while the evidence is mounting that all products by apple might just be made for pennies via slave labour in china via foxcon and then marked up to seriously infated prices for you beaming idiots to buy. And don't get me started on the pretenciousness of their marketing, their sudo-secrecy over stores and genereal faux mystique ovwer their bland corporate activities.

I would never buy a device of which I have no absolute control. That's why I never had and will have any apple products.

Only possible benefit of this is that I will have less of an urge to smack people at concerts. Fair enough if you are recording on a good camera but a phone, really?

Apple patenting technology that restricts how it's customers use their device, just another day for Jobs & co. More and more my investment invan android phone is paying off.

Parents are going to be pissed all over the world when they try to film their kids school performances.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here