E3: Nintendo's New Console Is: The Wii U

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Seems like it's got a pretty impressive front-load of games that normally wouldn't even glance at Nintendo. I can't help but be excited about it; the inventory screen being right there, being able to switch to the smaller screen whenever someone wants to use the TV, and a graphical overhaul.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Something about good 3rd party support, so people yelling gimmick and it'll only be wii kiddy games shut up now please, thank you...

That said it CAN be used right, but I've yet to see it implemented as such (although Zelda looked right). Wii U is a bad name, but we'll get used to it. I thought PSVita was bad _

Micalas:

Yopaz:

Selvec:
Finish this sentence. "An Ambulance goes..."

Seems like I was ninja'd...

As were I. Yes Wii were. But mostly U.

At least they gave us a name we can laugh at again. Now let's watch the fanboys rage over how the name is great and make us laugh more!

I'm just gonna say Nintendo won E3. Third party support looks great and I'm pumped for the new Smash Bros.

Also get over the name people. What are you, 4?

Can someone please answer this question, Yes its a controller but does it have a brand new tower as well for the updated graphics, or does it re use the wii, or is it stand alone and projects/connects to the tv ?how is this thing able to be as graphically powerful as the xbox 360 and the ps3? there has to be a tower surely.

Im pritty sure that wasnt clarified

Man, I've always wanted somebody to come along and make a mobile gaming device that wasn't actually mobile!

I mean, how about that 6" screen?

I plan to Wii on U Nintendo. :p

Darth Sea Bass:
So when are they actually announcing the console to go with the controller?

That's the Wii U...looks like a snes...me like

WiiU?
Isn't that the name of an R-Kelly album?

Plinglebob:
Ok, I may be being stupid, but is the Wii U just the controller or are they releasing new Wii hardware along with it as that what things seem to be suggesting, but they've only mentioned the controller.

From what I saw, it looks like they are releasing new hardware as well, it just wasn't the focus. I mean, how else could the thing play something like Aliens: Colonial Marines streaming on the controller thing without having updated hardware to go along with it, eh?

WiiU? Well, Wii don't want it, so U keep it.

Damn, replacing one of whose controllers is gonna cost 90% of the console price.
I think putting these many gizmos on the controller is also gonna make it heavier, and its grip is gonna be uncomfortable for playing long hours, not to mention that the controller will be very delicate.

Also, if all this is in the controller, the actual console is nothing but a tv attachment with Wifi?

Damn it Nintendo, what the hell are you trying to do?

I'm confused, I thought Nintendo was making a console with more power to appeal to gamers. This seems like anything but that. I'm interested to see who they market it to.

From a specs standpoint...meh. I can't outright say that i think the "you can use it as a TV!" is stupid- In my family, we always had at least 2 or 3 TV's in our house, and one of them was usually dedicated to game consoles. And that was a while ago, from my perspective, having multiple TV's is a slight more common nowadays (at least, the tuners that let you watch your programs on different TVs in the same house lead me to come to that conclusion.) So from my perspective, this functionality is kinda lame.

This product merely confuses me. I don't know what they were going for. My imagination is not up to the task of thinking what you could do with this random amalgamation of hardware.

Thank god, I got through an entire comment without mentioning how stupid the name is. ...Crap.

Watch it be the Wii all over again.
Naysayers will appear at first.
The console will become extremely successful.
Naysayers will look stupid while everyone else enjoys the heck out of the console.
And as usual, Nintendo provides us with a unique controller.
I'm pumped.

Edit: Also, SMASH BROS AND LUIGI'S MANSION 2!
Thank you so much, Nintendo!

...Wii U, Wii U... walk like Mario... (sung to the tune of 'Walk Like an Egyptian' by the Bangles)

Sorry, but that's what popped into my head. I suppose everyone mocked the name 'Wii' originally.

I'd be far more interested in what the game lineup is at this point: after all, that was the weakness of the Wii, really... of course, Wii Sports kept everybody distracted long enough for it to be successful.

fer-:

wonder how long until sony and m$ take to get touch screens on their controllers

i'm hoping, forever. it adds bulk to the controller, which they don't need. plus it's only decent uses would be in the organisation of the inventory, maybe navigating menus. if touchscreens try to muscle in on the actual gameplay, i do not see it merging well at all...

Will it play DVDs and stuff, though? That's become important lately.

it's better than "wii^2" ("wii wii") i guess... I suppose it's cool, you can use the small screen to play games... wow, the console sends the game image like a digital streaming to the screen on control pad... nice going!

As much as I love Nintendo, no one's gonna call them creative with names.

Still, new Nintendo console! YAY!
And nice looking launch lineup.

Alright, now release it!

The controller looks uncomfortable as hell, though it does offer some possibilities in game design...

But what's it gonna cost?

WEEOO WEEOO WEEOO WEEOO! Sounds like a European police siren. Were they just trying to find the most ridiculous name possible?

It has good versatility, but a lot of the features shown are gimmicky. What do I care? I don't buy nintendo anyway, I'm not their market and that's ok.

Wii U Wii U ROCK YOU! Dum Dum!

Selvec:

Yopaz:

Micalas:

As were I. Yes Wii were. But mostly U.

At least they gave us a name we can laugh at again. Now let's watch the fanboys rage over how the name is great and make us laugh more!

Arisato-kun:
I'm just gonna say Nintendo won E3. Third party support looks great and I'm pumped for the new Smash Bros.

Also get over the name people. What are you, 4?

Dun Dun DUUUUUUNNNNNN!!!!

Never said the name was great. Truth be told it's stupid. But I'm not going to mock it.

Also, Sony fanboy here. ;)

therandombear:

Darth Sea Bass:
So when are they actually announcing the console to go with the controller?

Omfg i sware they didnt show that image during E3 nintendo i was wondering about the tower.

If it's good enough for Ken Levine to be excited then I'm certainly more than a little interested.

TotalHobNob:
Let the "WiiU" jokes begin. :p

Sometimes... just sometimes... something is so stupid that no joke exists that could be anything but a hollow shell of the original lunacy.

This is one of those times.

Raesvelg:
The controller looks uncomfortable as hell, though it does offer some possibilities in game design...

But what's it gonna cost?

I cant belive its over 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Imagine Pokemon on this thing

*goes into a dream land*

Also these WiiU Jokes are awesome xD

Now...how about Chase Mii jokes? :P

therandombear:

What are you smoking, boy? The SNES top loaded, and it was purple and gray. This thing looks like a 360 and GladOS got their groove on.

Can Wii really say Nintendo won E3? Sure they had more new hardwear to announce. So on a technical standpoint, yes they "won" but its still a dissapointing year. Some awesome new games of corse, I'm all for Darksiders 2 and Sly 4, but othwerwise its a lackluster shit year. Until I hear of some more exiting games that I couldn't easily get on my PS3 or my brothers Xbox360, the "third party" support isn't going to convince me.

Next years E3, we might finally hear the development of the next thing in graphics. I wouldn't mind if they held off on gimics, but if they can bring me a rich experience like that unreal demo I watched a few months ago, then maybe we'll reach a plateau and just focus on making games. All I want to do is play games, give me a system that can play me good games with amazing graphics, and a controller that doesn't look like something I should be using as a dinner tray, and I'll be set.

Nintendo win the E3 for me, Microsoft was kinect and halo, Sony was better then Microsoft with the Vita, but Nintedo just won it for me tbh.

Luigis Mansion 2, Super Smash bro on 3DS and Wii u, Tekken 3D on 3DS, assassins creed, darksiders 2, ghost recon, Super Mario 3D, 3D mario kart and more zelda <3

Technology: Interiguing.

Name: *Facepalm*

OK, so the little white box is called WiiU, which is growing on me, I have to say.

Thing is the controller needs a better name than

"The New Controller"

It doesn't trip off the tongue, and what happens when there's another controller after that?

This sounds rather lackluster. It may be the lack of a new name (PlayStation still gets a pass because that's it's thing.), or the lack of GameCube compatibility (Once in a while, I get the urge to play Super Mario Sunshine. REMEMBER THAT, NINTENDO?!), or the controller ("No more gimmicks?" says Nintendo, "Oh, sorry. I thought you said 'MORE GIMMICKS!'")

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here