Japanese Inventors Create Mechanical Telepathic Anime Cat Ears

Japanese Inventors Create Mechanical Telepathic Anime Cat Ears

Soon everyone will be able to be a catperson, as long as they don't mind their ears reading their mind.

The Japanese company Neurowear has created a set of mechanical cat ears that allow anime fans to live out their catgirl - or catboy - fantasies. The ears are apparently able to sense the wearer's mood and move themselves in an appropriate manner.

The toy is called "Necomimi," which is a play on the Japanese words for "cat" and "ear." That's not the only wordplay going on though, as Neurowear says that the first two syllables also represent the words "neuro" and "communication." The Neurowear team said that there were investigating new ways to communicate and hit upon the idea of using brainwaves, and as the brainwave sensors had to be mounted on the head, the team decided to come up with something "cute and catchy."

The ears are able to prick up when the wearer is excited, and droop when he or she is calm. Tomonori Kagaya, who is part of the Neurowear team, said that the medical versions of the brainwave scanners cost millions of yen, but that falling costs have allowed people to experiment with them and come up with new ways to use them.

The Necomimi are essentially just a novelty, but they're kind of fun, and I can see them doing rather well in Japan. They could also provide the perfect finishing touch to a lot of cosplay outfits, not to mention really confuse a lot of pet cats.

Source: BBC

I wonder how long it will be before someone makes "mood ring" sun glasses with the same type of tech. I guess animated ears could be a hot children's toy, but as an adult I'd prefer something that alternated between devil horns and a halo (no idea how that would technically work, though).

I wonder who's pet project this was.

Didn't the Escapist already do this story weeks ago??

Oh well, either way, this has got to be one of the most ridiculous things I've seen come from Japan that I'm sure many people will be buying.

Do want.
What? I've got an Asian girlfriend. I'm sure I can convince her to wear that once in a while.

Brought to you by wasted technology.

Wasted technology: It's what's for dinner... and perverted anime nuts.

Science!
For the greater good of mankind!

Ah, screw it, the ears are pretty nice.
If they work more or less okay, then it'll be really popular with those crazy cosplayers!
/cosplayers aren't crazy. Well, most of them. I think. Maybe.

I wonder why people would even make this in the first place.

*Looks, sees it was made in Japan*
Ahhhh, that explains it...

Not a fan of this sort of thing, but I know someone who is.

You know what, I'm going to give this credit. It's a cute idea. It's a good sign when we start using what used to be science fiction concepts for frivolous toys.

I'll buy it when they make the brain microphone thing less noticable. and improve the shape a little bit. >_>

I've known I want these for quite a while...
I want the black ones...

EDIT:

Shia-Neko-Chan:
I'll buy it when they make the brain microphone thing less noticable. and improve the shape a little bit. >_>

This version is just a prototype, a commercial version should be released by the end of the year.

Do they come in Wolf/Dog Shape? If so, I would so buy a pair.

YAY, Rejoice married men.. you can now know when your wife is pissed at you. :-)

Actually, do they go lopsided when the wearer has had a few?

Dang, I should've tried to import these to sell them at the local anime con. If they're widely available, I'll be surprised if there's not already someone there selling them.

Wow, the BBC is realllly far behind on this old story.
Their connections to Japan must be not as good as they once where.

I think its a cute idea, in the right situation. I mean, imagine if a sweet little girl with facial paralasys were given these to be able to clearly and naturally convey emotions?

HankMan:
I wonder who's pet project this was.

badum tish

Pingieking:
Do want.
What? I've got an Asian girlfriend. I'm sure I can convince her to wear that once in a while.

If I had a girlfriend, I would buy a pair for her. Then she would dump me. So very hard.

Kopikatsu:

Pingieking:
Do want.

If I had a girlfriend, I would buy a pair for her. Then she would dump me. So very hard.

if she would dump you over this then she was never your girlfriend to begin with, she was just a neighbor who didnt close her blinds

Worgen:

Kopikatsu:

Pingieking:
Do want.

if she would dump you over this then she was never your girlfriend to begin with, she was just a neighbor who didnt close her blinds

But my neighbor already has a restraining order against me.

...All of them.

This is ooooooold news sorry to say. I saw this thing over a month ago. And I think it was on here that some member had posted a thread about this.
It's a cool idea. Just hope it doesn't explode all over the cosplay cat people like monster guts on my sword.

w-w-hat the hell is this?!

Oh, it's just Japan. No biggy

ah japan; when a new technology is released and some nerd comments on how it could be used for some insanely geeky thing, you dont laugh it off as a pop culture joke, you fucking make it!

you just know that when the technology becomes available, japan WILL make an actual working gundam. i cant wait.

how is it...that with all this great technology of "reading minds"
they make things just make the world wish they'd go away. Seriously, almost everything they make that can potentially be break through technology they waste it on the stupidest fucking fads only that part of the world would find normal.
10 bucks says when they finally make a giant robot/gundum its only function will be caramel dancing.

now if you excuse me im going to go finish preparing on destroying the world while i simultaneously colonize mars.

Why does everyone always go, "Oh its japan~" when something like this pops up. Do you all deny the fact that the rest of the world lacks the passion to do anything like this?

*Goes off to invent telepathic cat ears and ass controlled cat tail*

old news

Now all we need is to make a mechinal tail add on and the furry invasion will be complete MUAHHHAAAAA!!!!!!!

does this make anyone else want a set of live action "The Tick" antennae?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here