Lulzsec Hacks Bethesda

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Lulzsec Hacks Bethesda

Bethesda Softworks has confirmed that it suffered an "unlawful intrusion" of its websites over the weekend but says that no personal information or financial data was lost.

The Lulzboat sure does get around. Its latest port of call was none other than Bethesa Softworks, the company behind the Fallout and Elder Scrolls games, which confirmed earlier today that it had indeed been attacked by the suddenly-famous hacker group.

"Over the past weekend, a hacker group attempted an unlawful intrusion of our websites to gain access to data," the company revealed on the Bethesda Blog. "We believe we have taken appropriate action to protect our data against these attacks. While no personal financial information or credit card data was obtained, the hackers may have gained access to some user names, email addresses, and/or passwords. As a precaution, we recommend that all our fans immediately change passwords on all our sites - including our community forums and the statistics site we maintain for Brink players."

"We regret any inconvenience that these attacks on us cause for you," the statement concluded. "These attacks will be evaluated to determine if there are any additional protections we might take that would be prudent."

Why did Bethesda get off comparatively lightly in this attack? Better preparedness brought about by the spate of recent attacks against game companies is one possible explanation but another factor might simply be that the Lulzsec hackers are fans of Bethsoft games.

"Please find enclosed everything we took, excluding one thing - 200,000+ Brink users. We actually like this company and would like for them to speed up the production of Skyrim, so we'll give them one less thing to worry about," the group explained in a Pastebin description of the attack. "You're welcome!"

LoL, by the way they acted one would think they managed to download skyrim itself.

Turns out all they got was some user and admin passwords that are no doubt changed by now.

Weak, Nubz boat, very weak.

I am dissapoint

Well isn't that just damn considerate of them....

So thats what they do across people they like?

If they're such fans, why bother? Seriously, there's bigger fish to fry if they're trying to raise awareness of online security or something like that. This seems kinda like a waste of time to me.

Andy Chalk:
We actually like this company and would like for them to speed up the production of Skyrim

And so they proceed to hack their system. This would seem counter productive, right? I realize that they most likely have different departments developing the game and maintaining their network, but who knows what kind of pandemonium is going on over there over the breach.

They want them to speed up the production of Skyrim? Get the fuck off their site and give them less to worry about then. >.<

I can only hope these people will eventually grow out of their infantile desire to screw innocent people over. That, or they all get arrested first.

So they hacked a site of a company they like because they thought it'd be funny?
Am I just missing the joke or are these people really this stupid?

...You like the company so you hack them?
Excuse me if I'm missing something, but WHAT?

If we speed up the production of Skyrim, the game will come out unfinished with bugs.

When you do things for the "lulz", there's going to be consequences at some point.

With fans like these, who needs enemies?

sir.rutthed:
If they're such fans, why bother?

Given that this "attack" didn't do much in actual damage, I would say that the goal of this attack was to alert Bethesda to the problems with their security, and based on Bethesda's response ("These attacks will be evaluated to determine if there are any additional protections we might take that would be prudent.") they actually get the point.

If you're going to give what amounts to a friendly, if rude, reminder of security problems, would you rather it benefit a company you like? or one you hate?

Bethesda got off lightly because LulzSec aren't actually extremely competent hackers. Surprise surprise.

The more places they visit, the sooner the law catches up. Personally, I'm excited to see these arrogant idiots have their souls crushed by the law.

I wish Anon would hack their asses already.

This is really starting to get annoying and not funny. This is pretty much hacking on overdrive and quite frankly it isn't funny. I mean hell, even Anon actually takes a break for a couple of months and then comes back to remind us all they are there. This Lulzsec though...is just out of control with no serious philosophy even if it is "for the lulz". Without logic they are no better than a rabid animal that needs to be put down.

They need to put these assholes out of their pitiful existance already. They are doing nothing but causing problems for everyone. Nothing but retarded idiots who happen to be good with computers. Take the computers away from them, and I guarantee they wouldn't be able to survive in the world. I'm sorry... I'm just really pissed at them because they happened to hack a company they love. Who the fuck is stupid enough to do that!?

I don't always agree with these tools, but dammit if I don't laugh my ass off whenever I see that image/text of their boat.

"The luuuuuuuulz booooooooat..."

Between this and their attempt to hack Nintendo (they're even using the same excuse), maybe we're giving LulzSec a little too much credit...

If they really thought this would speed up the development process of Skyrim, then they're even more of morons than I suspected.

I'm glad they've at least got the decency to not punish the customers, or at least not all of them. Not sure what they'll do with the rest of the data. I have noticed that a few Bethesda related sites have been offline for the last 24 hours or so, I wonder if that means that the servers were taken offline to protect the data.

Still, I'm looking forward to when these guys get caught. That is going to be lulz I get from them.

(Incidentally, I don't know much about hacking but shouldn't tracing them be easy? Lulzsec has claimed that they run off of one server, shouldn't Bethesda just have to check what IP attacked them, run a quick search to find out what company leases that unique number out, then hand it over to the authorities who will ask the IP company which connection was assigned that IP at that time? I'm assuming it's a little more complicated than that, but isn't that the basics?)

Balobo:
Bethesda got off lightly because LulzSec aren't acutally extremely competent hackers. Surprise surprise.

The more places they visit, the sooner the law catches up. Personally, I'm excited to see these arrogant idiots have their souls crushed by the law.

Souls, hopefully followed by something painful. Like fingers, or testicles.

How about LulzSec just fucks off, okay? They're doing far more harm than good.

Hackers are like kids with guns. Anonymous is what happens when they try use that power to be Batman, but LulzSec is what happens when they try to be the Joker, which is even worse.

Can we start arresting these kind of people yet?

Nothing more then Huge Manchildren.

Nothing to see folks, carried on.

Really starting to get old with the hacking of video game companies. It doesn't help the gaming community at all. What is happening is people are scared to sign up for games or websites because of these hacks and it is going to kill off profit margins and leave us in an endless cycle of loss of money = loss of new IPs and ideas. No good all around lulzsec. If you really want to help the gaming community focus on something else for a while.

Duskflamer:

sir.rutthed:

Given that this "attack" didn't do much in actual damage, I would say that the goal of this attack was to alert Bethesda to the problems with their security, and based on Bethesda's response ("These attacks will be evaluated to determine if there are any additional protections we might take that would be prudent.") they actually get the point.

If you're going to give what amounts to a friendly, if rude, reminder of security problems, would you rather it benefit a company you like? or one you hate?

If they want to enhance security so much and are willing to hack for free, why the hell not just inform Bethesda upfront and simply not take anything instead of turning this into we're going to hack and take stuff for the lulz, then return what was taken saying that they like the company?
I fail to see how this is the best way to inform a company of it's website security issues.

I call bullshit on them just wanting to help their security anyway.
Look at their track record and tell me, honestly, that all they want to do is help companies they like.

Well at least no personal info or games were taken... so this would fall under prank I'd think.

Either way, these companies are DEFINATELY going to be double-checking their security

Phlakes:
I wish Anon would hack their asses already.

Actually I agree with you. This is going against the ideals of Anon, for he is doing nothing but taking away the freedoms of other people. Anon has every right to step in and take this little fucker out.

sir.rutthed:
If they're such fans, why bother? Seriously, there's bigger fish to fry if they're trying to raise awareness of online security or something like that. This seems kinda like a waste of time to me.

This is Lulzsec, everything they do is a "waste of time". They're not the same as Anonymous, and they're not activists of any kind. They just do things for the "Lulz". It's pretty much a coincidence that their "Lulz" raises awareness for online security.

Scabadus:
I'm glad they've at least got the decency to not punish the customers, or at least not all of them. Not sure what they'll do with the rest of the data. I have noticed that a few Bethesda related sites have been offline for the last 24 hours or so, I wonder if that means that the servers were taken offline to protect the data.

Still, I'm looking forward to when these guys get caught. That is going to be lulz I get from them.

(Incidentally, I don't know much about hacking but shouldn't tracing them be easy? Lulzsec has claimed that they run off of one server, shouldn't Bethesda just have to check what IP attacked them, run a quick search to find out what company leases that unique number out, then hand it over to the authorities who will ask the IP company which connection was assigned that IP at that time? I'm assuming it's a little more complicated than that, but isn't that the basics?)

The problem is they probably bounce the IP so many times it takes a while to trace it down, and when they do it will most likely not be their network as hackers tend to use other peoples networks or free networks when they can. I really don't care if they get caught as long as this idiocy stops.

Sorry for double posting my quoting skills need improving

Seriously Lulz Boat, seriously? Why would they do that? If it's just for show or if they think their Anon, they should sod off. What has Bethesda done wrong? I only approve hacking if it's for the greater good. I see no benefit for anyone in hacking Bethesda, it's only delaying the awesome games to come.

lovest harding:

Duskflamer:

sir.rutthed:

If they want to enhance security so much and are willing to hack for free, why the hell not just inform Bethesda upfront and simply not take anything instead of turning this into we're going to hack and take stuff for the lulz, then return what was taken saying that they like the company?
I fail to see how this is the best way to inform a company of it's website security issues.

I call bullshit on them just wanting to help their security anyway.
Look at their track record and tell me, honestly, that all they want to do is help companies they like.

The more public the hacking is the more pressure is put on the companies. It's easy to dismiss something if nobody else notices, but if all eyes are on you because of something that happened, you'd be a bit quicker in setting up defenses against future hacking.

Lulzsec may not be malicious but by being public there's a risk that some more malicious hackers could follow in their footsteps, and that's what spurs the companies to improve security. If it was just some private e-mail saying "Oh yea, we totally hacked your database lulz." do you think the company would treat it with the same level of urgency or seriousness?

First Nintendo, now Bethesda... so is Lulzsec's attacks going to start counting against a game's/company's Metacritic rating now?

as long as this won't affect Bethesda or skyrim in a negative way I'm happy

That's bad. They're bad. It's not good.

It'd be funny if beesda announced a delay. Even if it was just one day, it would still be pretty funny. In fact, I hope Bethesda actually delay the game by one day just to piss these guys off.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here