Two Million Gamers Sign Up for CoD Elite Beta

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Two Million Gamers Sign Up for CoD Elite Beta

There's plenty of interest in the beta, but Activision says the more the merrier.

For all the complaining you see about Call of Duty Elite, Activision's new service for its wildly popular FPS games, on internet forums, a lot of people seem to be excited - or at least curious - about it. Activision's Dan Amrich has announced that registrations for the service's beta have hit two million people in less than two weeks.

Writing on his blog, Amrich said that the Elite beta would be a "live" beta, and the data and feedback that players generate when it goes live on July 14th would have a real bearing on the final form of the service. He also said that despite the large numbers, people should keep applying for the beta. Two million people was actually only a small portion of Call of Duty's 30 million strong audience, he said, and more people in the beta would be even better.

Activision unveiled the service late last month. Elite adds a whole host of social elements to the games, such as user groups and custom leaderboards, and detailed player statistics. There will also be optional premium elements which will require a subscription, although, other than the downloadable map packs, Activision hasn't been forthcoming with what they will be.

Call of Duty Elite launches on October 8th, alongside Modern Warfare 3.

Source: via 1up

Actually, I'm quite surprised. Two million? Maybe I'm just looking at the appeal of COD Elite in an erroneous way; I expected a lot more beta subscriptions given how large and rabid the COD community is.

Perhaps the beta has only signed on the 'hardcore' thus far?

2 million sheep... please activison, take our money, pleaseeeee

I didn't realise most of Wales signed up because all of these 2 million must be sheep

Fucking baaa... Ugh I hate this planet

I didn't realise most of Wales signed up because all of these 2 million must be sheep

Fucking baaa... Ugh I hate this planet

That's depressing.

And here I was hoping that people were finally getting sick of Call of Duty.

Hmm. I didn't think that many people would be interested. Ah well, as long as Elite actually provides a service that helps people enjoy the game more, I have no problem.

Why are people paying for this? At least Bungie had the decency to make Waypoint free...

There's a big difference between signing up for a free beta out of curiosity and actually buying the service.

There's still hope for the world...

I'm guessing that most of these people are the kind that don't go on forums and only buy the new FIFA/CoD when it comes out. Like my brother.

Generalizations are fun!

Oh no! People are signing up for a service which will improve the experience of playing a game they love.
How dare they spend their own money in such a way?!

Well who doesn't want to be part of the exclusive Elite COD Players, who are the best of the best, and shown true valor on the battlefield, here they will see where the excell in skills over others and how much they are Elite. They will join others who are worthy of the name Elite Warning Elite is not exclusive. Anyone can join for a small fee per week. Being part of Elite is in name only. There is no impact to the game. Subscription is not included in Live Subscription Be part of Elite!!! Today.

OT:Well hopefully Activision will now consider adding some more things to this service that actually are worth a subscription instead of pointless stats that have no impact on the game.

Casimir_Effect:
Oh no! People are signing up for a service which will improve the experience of playing a game they love.
How dare they spend their own money in such a way?!

Dont think thats what most people who are hating on this service mean, i dont anyway... the problem been look what happened when activison rolled out the same game year after year breaking records, every other develoepr thought " ooo lets try and copy cod " if this service becomes popular i can see every other developer thinking " ooo lets try and copy cod again "

Thats what worries me anyway...

Well Black Ops sold 13 Million so 2 Million is not that big of number.

Well I signed up for it, more out of curiosity than anything else.

True, it'll probably be pointless but at least then I can try it for myself and experience what it's actually like instead just make whiny comments about it, without actually trying it out.

Sarge034:
Why are people paying for this? At least Bungie had the decency to make Waypoint free...

Its a Beta, its free.

This is exactly why we can't have nice things.

Pardon the language, but who the f*** is actually falling for this c***load of f***ing s*** up a ******** with a few ****** and ***** with a goat in a ***** skoda!?

Even those words can't describe my bewilderment at those two million people.

We should not be encouraging activision. Never. In any way. We need to send them a clear message that we won't stand for this stuff!

Palpatine will be pleased :D

Now if they could just find a way to make money off this, hmm...

Can we not call them gamers please? I'm sure there's a gamer or two in there, and they're nice chaps, but if all you are doing is buying the latest yearly FPS demo, and that's all you'll ever do, it's like calling us Ex-African.

Technically it's correct, as everyone is descended from the original African Woman, but it reduces the meaning of the phrase.

Im a COD fan, but im not stupid.

I wish i could say that about the 2 MILLION who signed up to this..

All I can do is sit back in my chairs, fold my arms, put a pipe in my mouth and chuckle away.

I guess this means they have to put subscription fees into COD. Activision have already proved fans will go to any means to play the game.

I admit, I signed up. I love free stuff. Have I alienated everyone now?

........what the hell are they offering that doesnt come with the game? i seriously have not heard of anything yet

i signed up just to see what its all about. but even if i like it, i wouldnt buy whatever extra stuff they add when its fully launched

I signed up and I can't wait for MW3, cause I love COD games and I'm not afraid to said it

The Rookie Gamer:

I did too. I think a lot of people are under the impression that we've already commited to paying for it. And half the people on this forum hate CoD.

Activision the console version of Apple.

OH, THE HUMANITY!

I got accepted into the beta apparently. I might try it, but I have my doubts...

Everyone bitches about it, yet 2 million people show an interest in it?
It baffles me that people can be entertained by a game like Black Ops this long after its release, and this news about the beta baffles me further.

Top Hat:

The Rookie Gamer:

I did too. I think a lot of people are under the impression that we've already commited to paying for it. And half the people on this forum hate CoD.

I know. I'm willing to bet a fair portion of people who signed up aren't going to pay for the CoD elite, and just want to try out the multiplayer they're giving away. Also, it's not half who hate CoD, its more around 90%.

I don't even like CoD, but all I see here is "WAAAAHHHHHHHH I need to hate on something!" from the gamer community.

"Fuck this free thing. Does it track stats better? It does? Fuck. I hate that. I like things like rainbows, but only if they make my console/PC blow up because I love graphics from engines that were developed on NASA computers. Are you telling me I live with my mom? Fuck no! I killed her when DNF was released. It was such a fucking game. I was playing it, and then I blacked out and woke up in semen and blood. I fucking hate every video game ever made. I sure do hope they make more My Little Pony shows so I can feel better about my sad life."

Number 6:

Sarge034:

Its a Beta, its free.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of all the confirmation sources I found.

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/713063/call-of-duty-elite-for-pay-call-of-duty-subscription-service-confirmed/

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304563104576355310423496054.html

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/117/1171511p1.html

Not once did I specify the beta. I was talking about the package as a whole.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here