Two Million Gamers Sign Up for CoD Elite Beta

Pages PREV 1 2

Still Life:
Actually, I'm quite surprised. Two million? Maybe I'm just looking at the appeal of COD Elite in an erroneous way; I expected a lot more beta subscriptions given how large and rabid the COD community is.

Perhaps the beta has only signed on the 'hardcore' thus far?

I sure there is a large group of CoD fans who dont even know this thing exists. Think about it if all you really play is a CoD game then you have no reason at all to visit a games website. This would mean there is a decent chance you have never even heard of this thing.

Thrust:
Well Black Ops sold 13 Million so 2 Million is not that big of number.

I thought that was just week one sales.

Now that Activision knows what sells, be prepared for CoD realeases each year...

If the "Elite" things counts as a game that's the ninth games they'll be releasing.

I have a couple of fancy sentences that show my feelings for this game in the last two years:
"MW2, like MW1, with more guns!"
"Black Ops, USA rules! Oh noes, Kennedy called, he needs help defeating the evil nazi zombies!"
"MW3, now more modern AND shiny!"
"CoD Elite! Now with 50% more bullets and eyebrow waggling!"

Oh well, they do what's needed to appease the masses.
Sorry for the "hater" inconvenience.

/rambling

Ha, called it
Every person I know and people I hear when they walk by talk about this game
You really think people who play more than COD make up the sales of it? That gamers who post on forums are the reason it sells?
Thats why despite this horrible path COD is going down, people will still buy it

Because they don't care
Expect other companies to follow suit my friends, for truly thats what will happen
The best we can hope for is that companies will use lube before they start fucking us

GreatTeacherCAW:
I don't even like CoD, but all I see here is "WAAAAHHHHHHHH I need to hate on something!" from the gamer community.

"Fuck this free thing. Does it track stats better? It does? Fuck. I hate that. I like things like rainbows, but only if they make my console/PC blow up because I love graphics from engines that were developed on NASA computers. Are you telling me I live with my mom? Fuck no! I killed her when DNF was released. It was such a fucking game. I was playing it, and then I blacked out and woke up in semen and blood. I fucking hate every video game ever made. I sure do hope they make more My Little Pony shows so I can feel better about my sad life."

The reason people are pissed off, is because CoD Elite is a subscription service for stuff which has been free since the beginning of FPS tracking, we've never had to pay for it before now and that's really fucking irritating. It also sets the precedent that if we're willing to accept this bollocks subscription fee so readily and in such large quantities other companies may copy Activision to get a slice of the pie, alongside Activision (being the money grubbing bastards they are) being quite likely to start withholding more services from other games unless we pay for it. THAT is why people are pissed off. Stop acting like people are just complaining for the sake of it, there's a very real problem here that needs to be addressed and told to fuck off.

Truth be told the package may be something good - regular map updates, new weapons and so forth stimulated by monthly subscriptions may turn out for the good.

That being said the number is suprising, I didn't expect it to go far beyond 1 mil.

First of all, let me take great pleasure in annoying you all by saying, that I signed up for the beta, and I will probably buy the real thing as well. Because I like to play CoD, and this appeals to me. Sorry for having a different opinion than you, that's just the way it is.

Second of all, what the fuck. People are complaining, about a completely optional feature, which has no impact on them whatsoever. Calling everyone who signed up for the Beta sheep, and stupid! With all respect every one of those people who decides to insult us can shut the fuck up. People have different opinions, you might not like it, but other people do. Obviously if you don't like CoD, fair enough you won't like this as well, but some people who do play CoD do like this.

One person even said "Can we not call them gamers please". It sort of makes me wonder what thought process some people go through to get to ridiculous conclusions like this...

Alfador_VII:
There's a big difference between signing up for a free beta out of curiosity and actually buying the service.

There's still hope for the world...

And that's why I signed up. "FREE" does not mean "PAY".

I'm a bit confused. I know it is a subscription based thing but how is it different to normal COD multiplayer?

I really hope that this doesn't take off. I don't have anything against the service or people choosing to pay for it, they're free to do whatever they want with their own money, I just don't like the precedent it sets. You pay for a console or a high powered computer, you pay $60US for a game, if you're on Xbox you pay your Xbox Live subscription - now this? When is it going to be too much? From what I've seen the service doesn't even offer much and serves more as Bob Kotick's experiment to turn Call of Duty into a regular Wow-esque cash cow - as if it wasn't enough already.

It's always about more more more and not more game but more money and how much more money the producers think they can charge for their product. What are they spending this extra money on? It's certainly not more game, it's initiatives like this that serve to charge you even more money for services that could be recreated free on some website. It's fucking ridiculous.

I've already voted with my wallet on Call of Duty and haven't bothered with them for a couple of years now. It's a shame though, I like big dumb popcorn blockbusters - but there's no way in Hell I'm going to pay top dollar for one. So I do without. It's no great loss either but you know what, with all this talk of boycotts and dissatisfaction I expected consumers to start sending a message. And they have. They've sent a message that they're thrilled to be paying more for less, that they will keep paying whatever price is demanded of them.

That annoys me but it's not like there's anything I can do about it.

I'm not surprised at all. It's really sad how gullible gamers have become. From accepting being connected online to play single player (Steam, Ubicrap drm) games to paying for online play (XBL, COD Elite) to cloud gaming (OnLive) to buying the same game every year (sports franchises). I guess the community gets what it deserves. :(

C95J:
First of all, let me take great pleasure in annoying you all by saying, that I signed up for the beta, and I will probably buy the real thing as well. Because I like to play CoD, and this appeals to me. Sorry for having a different opinion than you, that's just the way it is.

Second of all, what the fuck. People are complaining, about a completely optional feature, which has no impact on them whatsoever. Calling everyone who signed up for the Beta sheep, and stupid! With all respect every one of those people who decides to insult us can shut the fuck up. People have different opinions, you might not like it, but other people do. Obviously if you don't like CoD, fair enough you won't like this as well, but some people who do play CoD do like this.

One person even said "Can we not call them gamers please". It sort of makes me wonder what thought process some people go through to get to ridiculous conclusions like this...

Wow. I must thank you for actually being a reasoning human being, good sir.

And the way that I read it, was that you don't have to pay to use the service, period, but if you pay for it, then you get extra content, like map packs, and the like. There's nothing really wrong with that.

One person said that MW2 was just MW1 with more guns. What, exactly, is wrong with that, again? CoD4 was fun, yes, but the fact was that you only had one single attachment option for pistols and sniper rifles, and as "many" as three at one time for any other weapon, was kind of sad. We only had two shotguns. We could only have one attachment at any given time. Grip took away your ordnance perk. You could never get more ammo unless you killed someone with a weapon that fires your caliber. Or the same weapon, of course. The weapon selection wasn't very good. When MW2 rolled around, you had at least five weapons for every section, as well as an entire selection wall for some, as well as for attachments.

Sarge034:
Sniparoo

My apologies, but saying 'this' in a thread about the Beta can cause a bit of confusion.

It still surprises me that people on this site are still saying you have to pay to use the basic.service. Despite in every news post on this site it says its free except for optional premium subscription, which nothing about it is known apart from maps. So're everything else you.heard about it is free. I know ill be trying it, maybe in beta, but definitely at launch, and wont pay a cent. And ppl saying that this is already made for other games and such, its such a copy blah blah. Maybe it is, but its new for CoD, and mostly free. and thats what matters here.

Casimir_Effect:
Oh no! People are signing up for a service which will improve the experience of playing a game they love.
How dare they spend their own money in such a way?!

There is such a thing as setting a precedent, as well as ignoring what other people do for free already.

And Activision has yet again found a good way to make money. I just hope that other companies don't take an example.

And no I don't have anything against people who buy this. People can do what they want with their money and maybe COD Elite will be a good service but I'm personally not going to buy any COD game anymore. I'm just sick and tired after MW2 and Black Ops.

Not surprising if you think about it; for all the disdain of CoD on the Escapist forums, it's still is the most popular FPS franchise in gaming. And a lot of people have money to burn.

You could easily rephrase that as "Two million dumbasses sign up for CoD elite beta". Christ Activision have an easy marketing campaign don't they? They could make a CoD where every enemy has a trollface and people would still buy it because it has guns in it, and therefore they feel tough and manly where in fact they are brainless losers who have nothing better to do than play a mediocre FPS who's only claim to fame is being able to indoctrinate retards because it has an XP bar. *takes breath* (1)

(1)Opinion may be biased due to hatred of CoD*

MaxPowers666:

Still Life:
Actually, I'm quite surprised. Two million? Maybe I'm just looking at the appeal of COD Elite in an erroneous way; I expected a lot more beta subscriptions given how large and rabid the COD community is.

Perhaps the beta has only signed on the 'hardcore' thus far?

I sure there is a large group of CoD fans who dont even know this thing exists. Think about it if all you really play is a CoD game then you have no reason at all to visit a games website. This would mean there is a decent chance you have never even heard of this thing.

You may have a point there. Though, even having said that, I'm surprised. We're talking, what? 30 million (roughly) people in the COD community? I know the demographic you're referring to, yet I doubt all them live under a rock. COD Elite is big news for one of the largest franchises in gaming.

Time will tell.

AndyCobra:
I signed up and I can't wait for MW3, cause I love COD games and I'm not afraid to said it

I think level-headed gamers don't have a problem with you liking a popular game. I have to ask, what is it about COD Elite that appeals to you? Do you think it will add anything substantive to your gaming experience?

The Rockerfly:
I didn't realise most of Wales signed up because all of these 2 million must be sheep

Fucking baaa... Ugh I hate this planet

silverbullet1989:
2 million sheep... please activison, take our money, pleaseeeee

Cough* Free Beta*Cough

OT: If I was a more motivated person, I would take the time to check it out.

I have to say, smart move for having a free beta.

The Rockerfly:
I didn't realise most of Wales signed up because all of these 2 million must be sheep

Excuse me? Do you have a problem with those who live in Wales?

GreatTeacherCAW:
I don't even like CoD, but all I see here is "WAAAAHHHHHHHH I need to hate on something!" from the gamer community.

"Fuck this free thing. Does it track stats better? It does? Fuck. I hate that. I like things like rainbows, but only if they make my console/PC blow up because I love graphics from engines that were developed on NASA computers. Are you telling me I live with my mom? Fuck no! I killed her when DNF was released. It was such a fucking game. I was playing it, and then I blacked out and woke up in semen and blood. I fucking hate every video game ever made. I sure do hope they make more My Little Pony shows so I can feel better about my sad life."

Sadly - this is true. It seems that Escapist and other places have an Elementary School level of thinking, where anything that is popular is instantly hated. They have no basis on why it is 'the worst thing on earth' and NO - saying you 'hate' it because it 'sucks' doesn't count. Nor can you say it is a 'rinse and repeat' since EVERY modern day shooter is exactly the same thing. Battlefield? Just like Battlefield 2 and Battlefield Bad Company. (IE: Explosive environments using multiple vehicles in large team based combat)

Mind you - I will still buy both games because I do enjoy both games - and the fact that they are usually WELL made games (Exceptions are Bad Company 1 and MW2). People need to stop complaining to just complain. Especially when they have no truth behind their claims.

(PS: Yes - I do know that some people have opinions - I am simply talking about those who make it sound like their opinions are truth or try to lie and say it is the truth)

Still Life:

AndyCobra:
I signed up and I can't wait for MW3, cause I love COD games and I'm not afraid to said it

I think level-headed gamers don't have a problem with you liking a popular game. I have to ask, what is it about COD Elite that appeals to you? Do you think it will add anything substantive to your gaming experience?

I know you were talking to him - but as a Fellow CoD player I would like to put in my opinion as well if you wouldn't mind.

To me - it is just an addition to the already great CoD MP (Don't mention MW2 to me, PLEASE) and to be able to get into tournaments with ease, talk to friends and get free map packs to a game I love, why not?

What I want to know - why do people continue to say it is like WayPoint? Last I remember (unless they have updated it) is that you don't get free map packs, you don't get to see past games or try to get into tournaments. You don't get to see heatmaps, weapons or anything like that do you? Please don't mention the website - I am talking about a piece of software separate from the game and website. Which form what I gathered CoD Elite was :/ (I am in no way trying to bash Halo considering that I do like Halo)

Wow, I didn't know that there were 2 million OTHER people who wanted in on the beta, I'm not alone!
And seriously, as long as CoD is more user friendly, and doesn't require 5 people with mics and no habit of teamkilling (which is why I won't play Halo with one of my friends), it's going to be bigger then Battlefield.

Beautiful. Beautiful. Keep it up, bobby!

Why all the complaints? So what, people want some free Beta service just to see what it's all about. Doesn't mean they have 2million paying subscribers. Until that time, stop being so self important and just wait patiently.

um its a beta its free I signed up just to see what the hell it was all about.

Captain Placeholder:

Still Life:

AndyCobra:

I know you were talking to him - but as a Fellow CoD player I would like to put in my opinion as well if you wouldn't mind.

To me - it is just an addition to the already great CoD MP (Don't mention MW2 to me, PLEASE) and to be able to get into tournaments with ease, talk to friends and get free map packs to a game I love, why not?

What I want to know - why do people continue to say it is like WayPoint? Last I remember (unless they have updated it) is that you don't get free map packs, you don't get to see past games or try to get into tournaments. You don't get to see heatmaps, weapons or anything like that do you? Please don't mention the website - I am talking about a piece of software separate from the game and website. Which form what I gathered CoD Elite was :/ (I am in no way trying to bash Halo considering that I do like Halo)

That's perfectly valid reasoning. I'm a PC gamer myself, and a lot of the community features can be found through alternate means; I'm just trying to understand what COD Elite is and how it benefits the community. How did you engage with the social aspects of COD? Do you think the service will help bring together a fractured community?

On the note of free maps: It has been said that the cost of map packs will be included in the monthly fee, so I guess the value of that would be based upon how often the devs release map packs and at what quality. Personally, from what I've seen of the map DLC offerings from the last two games, the $15 tag was a bit of a rip.

I know we haven't got all the information yet, but I haven't been convinced that the community needs a separate piece of software for social networking and strategy tools which are already available free and easy to access.

This just in, 2 million morons with money to burn continue to destroy the gaming market.

Captain Placeholder:

The Rockerfly:

Excuse me? Do you have a problem with those who live in Wales?

No I just wanted to make a baaaaad joke so I could get my head round these numbers

silverbullet1989:

Casimir_Effect:
Oh no! People are signing up for a service which will improve the experience of playing a game they love.

Dont think thats what most people who are hating on this service mean, i dont anyway... the problem been look what happened when activison rolled out the same game year after year breaking records, every other develoepr thought " ooo lets try and copy cod " if this service becomes popular i can see every other developer thinking " ooo lets try and copy cod again "

Thats what worries me anyway...

Woodsey:

Casimir_Effect:

There is such a thing as setting a precedent, as well as ignoring what other people do for free already.

The companies who get drawn to this system are the ones who would have done it eventually anyway. This concept of paying monthly for online services outwith MMO games (such as WOW and Eve) has been kicking around for a while now, Activision are just the first to jump on it. Personally, I've been waiting for this to happen for a while now and welcome it, as I welcome the inevitable EA copy-cat response. This will be the start of something new in the industry, it'll be a branching point in the sales model and could shake things up at last.

Being a majority PC gamer for the last few years has taught me 2 things:
1. Which publishers (eg Paradox & Valve) and developers (eg. CDProjekt & Creative Assembly) actually give a shit about providing good value, well-made and innovative games.
2. That if PC gaming died tomorrow I couldn't care less; because I have at least 20 years worth of fantastic things to play, only a small fraction of which I have played or own already.

The people who sign up for something like CoD elite are the ones who play that game almost exclusively. Other companies are not losing potential customers. As for other companies seeing the extra money Activision are getting, Activision are already making amounts they can only dream of so I doubt they'll really believe this monthly payment model will work for them. Unless that other company is a direct competitor such as EA, in which case the games you love will not be affected - only Manshoot 34: Shoot Men Hard will be - and it would have happened eventually. Only certain kinds of games will ever be vulnerable to this sort of model, single-player only ones should be quite safe.

And if I'm hideously wrong, that's what point 2 above is for.

I didn't realise Chrometophobia was such a big issue among the gaming community.

Anybody else seeing any similarities between Bobby and George Lucas ? Like a fucking Pokemon evolution.

I loved every bit of MW2 but didn't buy the 15 dollar map pack and I am not gonna buy this either. It won't change the MP or SP experience. And if they pull off something like the Elite guys get more guns, the whole community is gonna flip out. So, nothing to worry about.

The sheep give them money to make more games. I like that. What would we do without our sheep?

Heh. How many of those are just taking advantage of it while it's free and will immediately jump ship when it starts costing?

Number 6:
My apologies, but saying 'this' in a thread about the Beta can cause a bit of confusion.

I didn't make my entire argument clear and that was my fault. I apologize for that. My main concern is that they will find a way to trap people into the service if they accept the "free" beta. This might just be my general distrust of anything with the word "free" attached to it. Nothing is free; we just have to figure out how they will make us pay for it.

Again, I apologize.

This is the on time i would ever probally say this.. but anon, hack these people please

YOUR seriously hacking the wrong people hack these BASTARDS!

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here