Sesame Street Pokes Fun at Spider-Man Musical

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Sesame Street Pokes Fun at Spider-Man Musical

When puppets start making fun of you, it's time to go home.

The much beleaguered Spider-man musical, Turn Off the Dark, has been the butt of all kinds of jokes, but this satirical Sesame Street skit has to sting an awful lot, coming as it does from an educational kids show filled with adorable puppets.

The skit stars the loveable Grover as "Spider-Monster" and is a sneak preview of the show's 42nd season, which starts in September.

There are all kinds of digs at the Spider-Man musical - my favorite being the crack about it only being the show's 17th opening night - and anyone who has been following the production's progress will no doubt find plenty of things to chuckle at. Kids will likely enjoy it too, although the more satirical elements will probably be a little over their heads, unless they're up to date with the latest Broadway news.

Turn Off the Dark officially opens tonight, although some of its detractors don't think it will last long. It will be interesting to see if the show is still running when the skit airs on TV in the fall. There are undoubtedly plenty of fingers crossed that it will, as investors have sunk tens of millions of dollars into the project.

Source: io9

All the jokes about Bono being a muppet just came true.

You've got to give it to the musical cast for sticking with it after everything though.

Dr.Susse:
You've got to give it to the musical cast for sticking with it after everything though.

Except for the ones that left due to injury of course. ;)

Hungry Donner:

Dr.Susse:

Yeah screw them, giving up after loosing consciousness a mere 6 times, pathetic really.

Ogargd:

Hungry Donner:

Dr.Susse:

Yeah screw them, giving up after loosing consciousness a mere 6 times, pathetic really.

Seven is the minimum if you want any of my respect.

So Micael Steele went to see the show? Must have gone on Glenn Beck's suggestion.

Does anyone else that this skit can only be improved by the cameo of those two old guys from the muppets? It can work!

Unlike Spidey the musical!

DOHOHOHOHO!

I don't think there is a bigger bitch slap then getting made fun of on Sesame Street

You know you've failed when millions of 5 year olds around the world start pointing and laugh at you. Or have your hard work thats cost you blood as well as money mocked by a child who still poos in their own pants as a pass time.

Cool Welshy:
Does anyone else that this skit can only be improved by the cameo of those two old guys from the muppets? It can work!

DOHOHOHOHO!

"CAN" work? This is Sesame Street dissing a musical! It just isn't COMPLETE without Waldorf and Statler!

You know the actual music in Turn off the Dark is supposed to be really good. People just won't shut-up about the concussion section!

Opening show needs to have the two grumpy Muppets and Grover in the balcony heckling it the entire time, might let it survive the night provided no one breaks a leg.

Oh sesame street, you always brighten up my day.

Moriarty70:
So Micael Steele went to see the show? Must have gone on Glenn Beck's suggestion.

In his own words, Steele described the experience as "the hibbity bibbity, stank on the rank, what what!"

This makes me wonder if Sesame Street was doing this satirical stuff when I watched it as a kid that went over my head.

To Youtube!

Moriarty70:

Beat me to it ^^

See kids, this is why the Muppets and Sesame Street will always be awesome. Because that was funny. And its a program made for 3 year olds...GENIUS!

Funnily enough, that was funnier and more relevant than anything the Simpsons have done in the past ten years.
Just my opinion.

MrShadowzs:
I don't think there is a bigger bitch slap then getting made fun of on Sesame Street

Maybe getting made fun of on any Nick Jr. show? You know,the ones that get the education part down,but not the entertaining part.

It's bad when a show like Sesame Street takes a jab at you...

At least Bono's muppet wasn't a big poo...

Cool Welshy:

DOHOHOHOHO!

I was actually expecting them to be in the skit myself. A pity they weren't. It would have made it even better.

Cool Welshy:

DOHOHOHOHO!

Are those two guys even allowed on Sesame Street? Their jokes are usually kinda mean-spirited... Hardly anything you'd want kids picking up on...

But, if they WERE there, this sketch would be PURE GOLD!

Cool Welshy:

DOHOHOHOHO!

HA!!
"good one simmins!
that's a burn."

busterkeatonrules:

Cool Welshy:

DOHOHOHOHO!

"CAN" work? This is Sesame Street dissing a musical! It just isn't COMPLETE without Waldorf and Statler!

Maybe that's the joke - it's so bad even they couldn't face it.

When puppets start making fun of you, it's time to go home.

Sheer comedic genius. Also, very true.

"You must forgive Bono, it is his first show ever."

I lolled pretty hard at that.

They better do a "making of " of Turn of the Dark or at least a documentary like "Enron : the smartest guy in the room" :D

I are disappoint that Waldorf and Statler is not there.

Then again, they would of tauted it into submission.

"That was a tangle messed!"
"I'll say, by friday it's be on it's last thread!"

DOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO!

So awesome. So brilliantly, brilliantly awesome. Also, I would go see Spider-Monster: The Musical. Just saying.

Susan Arendt:
So awesome. So brilliantly, brilliantly awesome. Also, I would go see Spider-Monster: The Musical. Just saying.

....I take it you like Muppets Miss Arendt.

Hooray for Muppets! But, seriously, that musical is still happening? I thought it was so dead-ridden that everything just caved? Huh. Well, good look to it, I suppose.

Dr. wonderful:

Susan Arendt:

....I take it you like Muppets Miss Arendt.

Of course. Who doesn't? :)

If Grover ain't doing the near and far bit while swinging on a spider web, I don't care. And now for no reason I have this sound in my head:

Sniper Team 4:

Cool Welshy:

DOHOHOHOHO!

I was actually expecting them to be in the skit myself. A pity they weren't. It would have made it even better.

They probably were at the first five opening nights... and then gave up after it wasn't challenging anymore...

DOHOHOHOHO!

Cool Welshy:

DOHOHOHOHO!

I was just wondering to myself "Hey when did Sesame Street become The Muppet Show"

Edit:

Dear members of the Escapist.

I apologise for accidentally necromantising this thread. I should have taken better care to check the last post.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here