BioWare Adding Female Shepard to Mass Effect 3 Marketing

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

It's about time FemShep got some marketing time. Although I'm going to have a great laugh at the sheer number of people who are going to flood the internet with their confusion once she begins showing up. I've met people who didn't even realize you could have anything other than the default soldier Shepard, and if they're any indication we should be in for some laughs.

People can be really dumb sometimes.

FemShep is canon. All others are non-believers.

As to her looks, hopefully they'll have some sort of competition about it (that's done sensibly so people won't submit deliberately awful looking models) or model her after her VA, Jen Hale.

My Shepard looks like a cross between Kana Static and Lara Croft, so obviously she's the best looking, and the perfect choice for the boxart.

Woohooo! Yes! I always liked Lady Shepard better! But why wouldn't they go with the default female's appearance? Canon Shepard is the default male after all...

Irridium:

Internet Kraken:

The_root_of_all_evil:
Bets on her cup size being at least an E, and generally fulfilling the 36-24-36 image?

Come on, we know Bioware treats all their female characters with enough respect to not sexualize them. I mean just look at Miranda!

In all seriousness that's one of the things that always struck me as odd about Mass Effect 2. Bioware doesn't seem to sexualize women but Miranda is handled horribly in that regard.

Look what they did to Ashley Williams.

Not exactly holding my breath over here.

Although obviously not the best character redesign, in what way is she being sexualised in that image?

Her top now has a neck line, that doesn't expose cleavage or anything more than a bit of neck and very upper chest. She's not standing with her hips cocked out and arms akimbo, she's not dolled up in deep eyeshadow and bright red lipstick, she's not staring at the camera with come-hither eyes, and her figure is not exactly preposterous.

Sure you can argue that her figure has changed, but first off, larger breasts do not mean over-sexuialsation. In the first game Ashley and FemShep had such a similar bodyshape I'm not entirely sure they didn't just use the same mocap and knock off for the day, so her having a more prominently defined identity in contrast to FemShep is actually a step in the right direction.

Call me when they've got Ashley dressed in a bikini crawling on all four across the Galaxy Map, then we'll talk sexualisation.

I'm sure there are a lot more than just one fifth of players who like and play as FemShep. I, for one, don't upload my game info to BioWare, and three quarters of my playthroughs, roughly, are with FemSheps.
But regarding official trailers with FemShep... Well, to quote a certain StarCraft 2 trailer: "Damn... It's about time." ^_^

MelasZepheos:

Irridium:

Internet Kraken:

Come on, we know Bioware treats all their female characters with enough respect to not sexualize them. I mean just look at Miranda!

In all seriousness that's one of the things that always struck me as odd about Mass Effect 2. Bioware doesn't seem to sexualize women but Miranda is handled horribly in that regard.

Look what they did to Ashley Williams.

Not exactly holding my breath over here.

Although obviously not the best character redesign, in what way is she being sexualised in that image?

Her top now has a neck line, that doesn't expose cleavage or anything more than a bit of neck and very upper chest. She's not standing with her hips cocked out and arms akimbo, she's not dolled up in deep eyeshadow and bright red lipstick, she's not staring at the camera with come-hither eyes, and her figure is not exactly preposterous.

Sure you can argue that her figure has changed, but first off, larger breasts do not mean over-sexuialsation. In the first game Ashley and FemShep had such a similar bodyshape I'm not entirely sure they didn't just use the same mocap and knock off for the day, so her having a more prominently defined identity in contrast to FemShep is actually a step in the right direction.

Call me when they've got Ashley dressed in a bikini crawling on all four across the Galaxy Map, then we'll talk sexualisation.

Yeah, I'm over-exaggerating. But going from the tom-boy that she was into what she is now... it's just jarring. Plus that was the first we've seen of her. I wouldn't be surprised if it changed in the future. To what, well we got to wait and see for that.

Since I generally play through the Mass Effect games both ways (Paragon and Renegade) I use both. Femshep is my Paragon char, male shep my renegade. Though I gotta agree with the majority of posts, female shepard has a much better voice actor.

FemShep is much much better than Normal Shepard. The voice work is perfect and she can bring out that bitchiness only women can do when you pick the renaged options!

about damn time, Fem Shep is the Best Shep.

Irridium:
snip.

Well ever since I saw the big demo thing where they showed that it wasn't just being to be a rousing game of Gears of War IN SPAAAAACE I'm quietly optimstic. BioWare seem to have listened to their fans about the removal of RPG elements from the first game to the second, so presumably the point of releasing Ashley redesign concept art so early was to allow for changes to be made. BioWare do seem to listen to their fans more than other developers, and the outcry over 'slut-Ashley' seemed to be one of the bigger ones on the BioWare forums (to me at least) so here's hoping...

JediMB:

Logan Westbrook:
It may have taken three games to do it, but BioWare is finally featuring the female Shepard in Mass Effect marketing. Canonically, Commander Shepard is male, but BioWare has acknowledged that the female version - often referred to as "FemShep" - has plenty of fans too, and will feature her in a new trailer.

False. BioWare representatives have stated multiple time that there is no canonical Shepard, and that includes the character's sex.

With the "Mass Effect: Redemption" comic they even made a reference to this by saying that Shepard's corpse was in such bad condition that they couldn't even see if it was male or female.

Thank you, was about to say this myself, but I haven't read the comics so my knowledge isn't as exact.

This horrid misuse of the word canon really needs to stop, there is no "canon" Shepard. There is a "default" Shepard in the games for sure, but that's about it. The Default Shepard is just the Shepard that Bioware uses because they are too damn lazy to make any other version of Shepard besides him.

And yes, I just called them lazy. They had a default female Shepard in the game, no reason they couldn't of used that besides being lazy.

and, I'm getting really sick of this captcha crap, I'm getting captcha errors when none are even popping up for me to type. Not enough you had one crappy version, now there's a whole new piece of crap to deal with, and its even more invasive.

edit: And to the person complaining about Ashley's redesign, guess what? Its called they replaced the cardboard cutout character with something more hopefully. Kaiden and Ashley in the first game was just a throwaway, like they did with the siblings in Dragon Age 2.

They've only just gotten around to making an actually unique model for them, or at least Ashley... I killed the bitch off as soon as I could once she started hitting on me after I treated her like shit but decided to kill Kaiden off because I hated him more. If they force a retcon on me though and bring her back, yeah... I'll get to kill her twice.

Logan Westbrook:

Canonically, Commander Shepard is male

Nope, they have actually said there is no canon shepard.

Last time I looked red hair and green eyes was winning on the official twitter poll for femshep.

Kahunaburger:

Dr. wonderful:

Kahunaburger:

Yeah, other than Morrigan, Isabella, Merrill, Silk Fox, arguably Tali, and the entire Asari species, Bioware never designs a character or a character's appearance around sexualization :)

(Although, to be fair they do this with male characters, too.)

Zevran.
God god, is he ever sexual.

Haha Zevran. Say what you want about this type of sexualization being weak characterization, at least Bioware doesn't have a double standard.

Personally the gaming world...and Bioware games...needs more Zevran. ^_^

Hands down he's one of my all time favorite NPCs.

Irridium:

DustyDrB:
Actually, the marketing Shepard isn't even canon...

So... Shepard technically doesn't even exist?

Right. Shepard is an idea.

...and idea that banged Liara.

xXxJessicaxXx:

Logan Westbrook:

Canonically, Commander Shepard is male

Nope, they have actually said there is no canon shepard.

Last time I looked red hair and green eyes was winning on the official twitter poll for femshep.

That's weird. I just made a new femshep and she has red hair (though not the fiery red, the one that is in between that and brown) and green eyes. Whoaoaoaoaaoah. But my main femshep looks like the woman who played Sarah Connor the the Terminator show.

unabomberman:
Why not use jenifer Hale's face? They did so with Bastila, why couldn't they do it again?

She has a beautiful face, I definitely agree with this idea.

Awesome! I hate the maleshep. I would never play as him, but I love my femshep.

so basicly ...rule 43?

DustyDrB:

Irridium:

DustyDrB:

Can't be. Ideas are bulletproof.

Who plays with male shepard? If im going to watch a 3rd person character for 20 hours its gonna be some female booty not some dude.

PrinceOfShapeir:

DustyDrB:

Irridium:

Can't be. Ideas are bulletproof.

Aside from the joke, this is true, the games pride themselves on very different choicebased outcomes...that dont reset everygame like other polarmoral games. so there really is no cannon anything.

DustyDrB:

Irridium:

DustyDrB:

An idea... that doesn't exist but seems to have been planted into our heads...

Are Inception jokes still funny?

the only way that Shepard is canonically male is just in marketing. As far as the games and world in general is concerned, they've been very good about keeping shep's gender and background freecanon

That collector's edition box art sounds interesting!
About time they did this, but I think it's just a marketing thing.

Wait, Wait, Wait, Wait, Wait. There's a MALE Sheppard?! The guy in the trailers?! I thought he was just some random space marine...

canonical my arse! that's the beauty of mass effect, your shepard is always your canon

Worgen:
the advertising for mass effect always bugged me, they loved to stick the most boring looking version of shepard in the ads and it was annoying how they only used the maleshep since femshep had a much better voice actor, in my option

Agreed. The milquetoast delivery their maleshep voice actor offers is actually quite bad for the most part, while the femshep voice was always quite a bit more on par with the rest of the cast.

The_root_of_all_evil:
Bets on her cup size being at least an E, and generally fulfilling the 36-24-36 image?

Firstly, that seemed a bit uncalled for here. Secondly, flatter chests are in these days unless your game begins with "S" and ends with "oul Caliber". Hell they even made a big deal about mentioning that the new Lara Croft is deliberately less chestacular and more frumpy.

There is no canon Sheperd the male Shep is just pretty much Bioware's default setting for marketing. It's nice to see that they will now use FemShep as well.

Logan Westbrook:
(snip) - something the studio has shied away from before with the Mass Effect games - (snip)

Source: GamePro

Well... what about our good Dr. T'Soni?
In the very first game Liara could be romanced by a female Cmd. Shepard.
...perhaps because she is an Alien she does not count? Or were you referring strictly to male homosexuality O.o? ...in which case I would see why the game's writers would have a hard time plotting all the *ehm* details.

SirBryghtside:
I don't know, it just feels strange looking at ManShep all the time when I play FemShep. It's as if I'm watching an ad for an entirely different game..

Then why not play male shep to? There's no law stating that you can only play as one of them.

itchcrotch:
canonical my arse! that's the beauty of mass effect, your shepard is always your canon

Shame that's not true. At some point Bioware is going to have to declare what canon Shepard is. Maybe not directly, but think about it; if they ever made another game in the Mass Effect universe, they would almost certainly have to decide on a canon Shepard. The choices you make change the entire galaxy.

Worgen:
the advertising for mass effect always bugged me, they loved to stick the most boring looking version of shepard in the ads and it was annoying how they only used the maleshep since femshep had a much better voice actor, in my option

Pretty much this. I found Jennifer Hale's potrayal of Shepherd ro be much more convincing. Plus it was cool to have a female protagonist who wasn't eye candy. I made mine to look more like a soldier than a celebrity or model or what have you. Made the game much cooler.

All I can say is about freaking time.
This should have been done when ME1 came out, but better late than never.

Can't wait for the trailer! OMG Ms. Hale is gonna be in a trailer! 'squeeee'

Icehearted:

Firstly, that seemed a bit uncalled for here.

Given Dragon Age 2's boobs of doom...

Secondly, flatter chests are in these days unless your game begins with "S" and ends with "oul Caliber".

Or "M" "Ortal Kombat" or "B" "Ayonetta" or "D""C Universe Online" or "B""Ulletstorm"...

Hell they even made a big deal about mentioning that the new Lara Croft is deliberately less chestacular and more frumpy.

After inflating her chest continuously since her creation...

I'm not saying FemShep should be like that...I'm just saying watch what the marketers will do to her. And if it's not coquettish look, enhanced mammaries/glutes and post-coital skin, then I'll be amazed.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Icehearted:

Firstly, that seemed a bit uncalled for here.

Given Dragon Age 2's boobs of doom...

Never played DA2.... that bad huh? I get ya. I think in this case it's unlikely, since Asari are the galaxy's tarts, but still.

Oh good. Now we get a trailer ruined by FemShep's monotone robot voice. Beep boop.

Granted, Male Shepard isn't MUCH better... But even a tiny bit better is still better. Less FemShep in trailers please.

ShadowsofHope:
Also, neither gender is Canon. Mass Effect's narrative allows for either or at the player's choice to equal measure (although FemShep will always be my personal Canon-gender, in the end).

Over two games worth of boxart, trailers, previews, and other such things by Bioware say that male Shepard with the default face is absolutely canon.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here