Only 1,000 Sonic Fans Will Get This Nifty 20th Anniversary Statue

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Only 1,000 Sonic Fans Will Get This Nifty 20th Anniversary Statue

Want to know how to get these cool-looking Sonic the Hedgehog statuettes celebrating the Blue Blur's 20th birthday? Yeah, so do we.

If you're the world's biggest Sonic the Hedgehog fan, then you've probably already seen Sega's Sonic the Hedgehog 20th Anniversary Figurine over on the publisher's blog. It's a pretty nifty little statuette that hearkens back to the hedgehog's origins: The current Sonic is standing on a "Green Hill Zone" base, with classic Sonic doing his trademark finger-wag in a nearby monitor.

A particularly cool touch is that there are two different versions of the figurine, since "classic Sonic" looked slightly different in the US versions of the game than he did everywhere else. As far as I can tell, the only differences are that the US Sonic is a bit darker and has a more colorful background, but then again that could just be the lighting.

Here's the catch, though: There are only a thousand of these figures being made, and Sega isn't telling us how you'll be able to get them. All we know is that they won't be sold in stores anywhere - they may be giveaways or part of a random-draw sweepstakes, or prizes in a contest, or anything else that we haven't thought of yet.

Of course, if you're the world's biggest Sonic fan, then you probably won't think much of dropping a couple hundo on one of these babies when they inevitably show up on eBay.

And if you're the world's biggest Sonic fan, then you have my sincere condolences for the past, oh, decade or so.

(Sega)

Sonic still has fans left after the past decade of his games?
I don't believe it! :)

The picture on the monitor looks different in the two versions. That may be it.

Also, ONLY 1000? I can't wait see the price of them in the future. That's a collector's item if I've ever seen one.

There are a thousand Sonic fans left?

Kenjitsuka:

tell that to a friend of mine he is downright obsessed with sonic

What are they going to do with the 900 they have left over?

Capture says it better than i do - KnickKnack

I'd probably get one, but I'd have to give it up to something useful, like Desert Bus or Child's Play.

DO WANT

WILL NEVER GET

:(

I like modern Sonic fine. On handhelds.

It would be neat to have one but because of the way the series was handled in the past few years I seriously doubt people will be fighting in the streets to get those statues. I'm more interested in the upcoming Sonic game; it looks like it might be pretty good.

Maybe it's like, you can have one, if you can find it.

All sonic fans, scourging across the world in search of the One Pie- I mean, Sonic Figurine.

believer258:

Gah, ninja'd. I was totally gonna make a comment in that vein.

OT: Meh, it's nifty but no way I'd go out of my way to get my hands on one.

I wouldn't actually mind one of those...I doubt I'll ever get one but God I want one.

I'd drop a stack for that!

Would be cooler if they made a decent game instead.

Layzor:
Would be cooler if they made a decent game instead.

Bah, got ninja'd. My post was going to be as follows:
Nifty little item, but it'd be cool if they could focus on making good games instead.

Though I have to admit that Sonic Generations does sound interesting, if they can get the feel of "Classic" Sonic done right.

... There are 1000 sonic fans left?

I'm a fan of most Sonic The Hedgehog games up until Sonic Adventure 2. After SA2, the series steadily bombed. Few bad ones in the early days (see Sonic Blast on GameGear, Sonic 3D on MegaDrive and Saturn, Sonic Labyrinth on GameGear).

It's a nice looking statuette and will probably command a high price in the future

Unless Sonic is as tall as I am, it's not worth it.

Kenjitsuka:

You better believe it!

I grew up with Sonic, as Sega Master System II was my introduction to the world of gaming.
Good times.

I do want one of these, but I'm not willing to pay hundreds of dollars for it.
Better win one.

WANT D:

I'll send then a picture of me wearing my Sonic hat with my XBLA library in the background showing all the Sonic games while holding the Sonic Underground boxset...

Then they'll HAVE to send me one!

Edit: Also dig out my Sonic poster and old STC's ;D

Damn I'm obsessed...

The company who makes it is called First 4 Figures. They do some incredible work. I own 2 of their Metroid Samus statues. One is Samus in her Varia Suit and another is s light up Samus in her Phazon Suit.

They are a bit pricey, but totally worth it if you are a collector or fan of such things.

Just to let everyone know the current fans are not fans of the games but of the comics.

Yes I am one the rare fans of Sonic. The comic's are so much better then the games. They have a plot!

Well that looks like it came straight out of a cereal box ... such pristine quality

Sonic was bad only AFTER adventure 2, damnit!

So that means they stopped being good after... 2002-ish.

Onyx Oblivion:
DO WANT

WILL NEVER GET

:(

I like modern Sonic fine. On handhelds.

You me both I want that so bad I wish I knew how to create factory quality toys cause I would make that and several dozen others all for myself. I guess i'll just have to keep on working those gamestop points and get that sonic hat if it's still available.

That's an item I would love to have on my bookshelf. I'll keep my eyes on SEGA's site for one of these puppies.

John Funk:
And if you're the world's biggest Sonic fan, then you have my sincere condolences for the past, oh, decade or so.

I may not be the biggest fan of Sonic, but that isn't really necessary. There's some misfortune to be had with Sonic, but I place that more on unrealistic expectations from certain segments of the fanbase than anything else. It also helps that I'm far more patient than most other gamers I know who comment on Sonic titles, and that I don't see extra characters, many of whom came from the comics and Sat AM, as worthless.

I've got a large number of the comics, which are always fun to read, especially considering the New Genesis arc. Of the past decade's releases, nearly every game is enjoyable to me in some fashion, and I always look forward to new games under Sonic's banner. Including Generations.

so what are they going to do with the other 990 statues? melt them down into mario statues?

believer258:

All of them are extreme nostalgia tards or Christians, seeing as how they believe Sonic will do a Jesus and raise from the dead.

OT; I wouldn't want this even if someone paid me. Not only is Sonic long past its shelving date, that smug finger wag pisses me off.

I wouldn't mind having one of them, since I'm a fan of Sonic and it's quite the collectable for fans considering there'll only be 1000. Hell, the only Sonic game I've played that I've been truly disappointed with was Sonic The Hedgehog 2006, and Sonic Generations looks like it'll be pretty good, although obviously I can't judge it til I've played it

This reminds me of the sonic board game...or a cheap cash in that my brother was stupid enough to buy...either way, I was 5 years old and only played it once

So all of the Sonic fans will get a nifty statue, basically. (I kid, but you have to admit, it's surprising the series still have a following)

I really wish they would release a good Sonic game again. Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast was alright...

No one likes sonic. They, however, like to paint it with different colours and call it their own character.

Kenjitsuka:

Considering that Colors was a pretty fun game and Generations is actually looking good after they showed the E3 footage, then yeah, I have no issues believeing it.

Mackheath:

believer258:

All of them are extreme nostalgia tards or Christians, seeing as how they believe Sonic will do a Jesus and raise from the dead.

OT; I wouldn't want this even if someone paid me. Not only is Sonic long past its shelving date, that smug finger wag pisses me off.

That was not a very nice thing to say to either group, since both are full of intelligent people as well as dumb ones. I was simply wondering how many people are actually still in Sonic fandom, considering how the quality of the games seems to be going farther and farther down. But it's all a matter of opinion.

Also, I'm Christian. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I am not by any means stupid. I'm not that offended, but please watch your words next time.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here