Valve Says It's Working on a Free-to-Play Game

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Valve Says It's Working on a Free-to-Play Game

Valve's Steam distribution service is accepting free-to-play games now, perhaps because the developer is making one of its own.

Last week, Valve announced that it would now be offering free-to-play (F2P) games via Steam, and from Wednesday to Sunday launched a new free title every day. Gamers could pick up titles like Spiral Knights, Champions Online: Free for All, and Global Agenda: Free Agent for free - as free, of course, as games built on microtransactions can be.

But while all of the launch F2P titles were by other studios and publishers, one couldn't help but wonder if Valve were planning on heading down this route as well. French gaming site Barre de Vie asked Valve's Doug Lombardi if the popular studio had any F2P projects in the works.

Lombardi's response was a characteristically terse and cryptic one: "Yes."

The rumor mills are inevitably going to start spinning here, as this could mean anything from a F2P version of Team Fortress 2 - and let's face it, with all those hats and microtransactions it might as well be a F2P game by now - or a completely new title.

Smart money, though, might say that this is Valve's upcoming DotA 2. After all, the F2P, microtransaction-based model has worked wonders for chief competitors like League of Legends. I mean, I just started playing LoL a bit over a week ago and I may or may not have already dropped a few dozen bucks on it.

Really, if Valve just completely copied the League of Legends payment and play model with DotA 2, the game would make a fortune.

(Via Gamasutra)

But this will just make it harder for them to... TAKE MY DAMNED MONEY!

Oh god, yes. I've been playing LoL since March and I've probably dropped 50 or so on it. Putting Valve's name would just double that.

Oh Mr. Funk is new to LoL huh? I hope the community doesn't chase you away. They are pretty obnoxious about new guys.

Fappy:
Oh Mr. Funk is new to LoL huh? I hope the community doesn't chase you away. They are pretty obnoxious about new guys.

I'm a longtime DotA player. I'm used to it :P

What poor, out-of-money team are they hiring this time so they can get a good, almost-completed game and release it as their own?

John Funk:

Fappy:

Though John, you must admit you have over-sensationalized the topic of this news post. Valve isn't doing a F2P, it's a rumor, not a fact.

Can you share your LOL handle so I can play some LOL with ya?

Im surprised they still havent put league on steam oh well, Im having fun in champions

I'm hoping it's called "Episode Bloody @##$^#ing Three: Are You Guys Happy Now?!" :D

Coranico:
But this will just make it harder for them to... TAKE MY DAMNED MONEY!

Don't worry, Free to play games always have things you can opt to spend your money on. That's kinda the point. Be it a higher level cap, more areas, better equipment ect.

Plus, it's Valve, they'll make some extra skins and hats for you to spend your money on.

Here's a thought: release half life 3 for free and i will forgive you for my waiting anxiety.

Sounds cool, I'm actually starting to look for Free games, hope it's something good...

John Funk:

Fappy:

Ugh, that game was horrible... I only played it a couple of times - the first time, I said 'what are the rules' in the chat during startup.

*kicked*

The second, I asked the same question during the game.

'get lost, noob'

*kicked*

:P

Wait, more free to play than Alien Swarm?

I thought Valve had already done this - Alien Swarm was free ;)

I love how now 'free to play' tacitly means 'micro-transactions to get all the content', like the full name would be "Free to play, but expensive to experience and/or enjoy". Ah well.

EDIT:

castlewise:

Blarg, you bleeding ninja :p Serves me right for expanding on my post ;)

Art Axiv:

John Funk:

Fappy:

Though John, you must admit you have over-sensationalized the topic of this news post. Valve isn't doing a F2P, it's a rumor, not a fact.

Doug Lombardi was asked if Valve was working on any F2P projects. He said "Yes." That's pretty unambiguous to me, I think!

It's CFTFunk. Don't everyone add me all at once. :P

So they finally get off their asses and pull Alien Swarm, a game that is very good but could be so much more, out of the gutter it in no way deserves to be in?

Oh wait, new game. Oh...

John Funk:

Art Axiv:

John Funk:

Doug Lombardi was asked if Valve was working on any F2P projects. He said "Yes." That's pretty unambiguous to me, I think!

Yeah, sorry, my eyes failed to read the huge paragraph.. oh never mind, sorry >_>.
I'll add ya.

this pretty much sum up LoL for me
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/6/10/

John Funk:

Art Axiv:

John Funk:

Don't wait to long to log-in unless you want to see 100+ friend requests at once XP (mine is Super Hammerdong btw... >.>)

And for anyone else interested in LoL, the final Championship game for season one is about to start: http://season-one-championship.na.leagueoflegends.com/

Here's hoping France loses :D

castlewise:

free game=/= free 2 play

a f2p game usually includes a store of some sort where teh player can buy stuff with real money or an insane amount if in-game currency.

basically you can play the game all you want but you still have to play to get the best stuff or in some cases, work very hard for it.

for example League of Legends, almost like DotA, has a store like this and DotA 2 will probably have one aswell

So Runescape might be available on Steam...? Oooooh the joys -.-

Still, wonder what this is, me is keeping an eye on you valve...

I can see TF2 going free-to-play mostly because of the fact that it was released years ago and the whole hats monopoly Valve has in the game basically pays for itself and more. As for DOTA 2, I think there would be a huge outrage if Valve went F2P-but-with-microtransactions, even if the paid content was just hats or costumes. Of course, Valve is Valve and they work in mysterious ways, so DOTA 2 is probably the free-to-play. Of course, this could be some enormous tease just to show that Valve didn't forget about Alien Swarm...

John Funk:

Fappy:

As a longtime DotA player don't you find the terrible balance aggravating? No denies, people paying to gain advantages over you.

Honestly bro, Heroes Of Newerth is where the real action is at. :)

SteelStallion:

John Funk:

Fappy:

As a longtime DotA player don't you find the terrible balance aggravating? No denies, people paying to gain advantages over you.

I don't mind it so much. Honestly, denies were one of the most frustrating parts of DotA for a new player to learn, so I'm glad they're out. And I really like the design of the champions and how they play. It's technical without being overly complicated.

That said, it's possible that HoN would suit me more; I haven't played it. But my friends are all playing LoL, so that's where I went :P

I would really hope Dota 2 to be free. Would be very successful if it copied the League of Legends model.

Hmm... This means I'll soon have 2 fantastic free games to play.

Now if only Valve would show off some more news about Dota 2. Please, let me see more heroes!

John Funk:

SteelStallion:

John Funk:

I don't mind it so much. Honestly, denies were one of the most frustrating parts of DotA for a new player to learn, so I'm glad they're out. And I really like the design of the champions and how they play. It's technical without being overly complicated.

That said, it's possible that HoN would suit me more; I haven't played it. But my friends are all playing LoL, so that's where I went :P

Yeah fair enough I'm only teasing. They have this trial account thing where you can play for 10 days though, if you're a long time DotA player I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Give it a try some time.

I just couldn't get into LoL no matter how hard I tried. I'm really against the idea of paying/grinding for new champions, but maybe because my general play style covers many roles and many champions/heroes so sticking with a smaller pool for very long is a turn off for me.

I guarantee that DotA 2 will have a cash shop regardless. LoL has a cash shop, and HoN has a cash shop. So it would make sense if DotA 2 does turn out to be their F2P title described here.

One more thing they're working on that isn't HL2E3

How the fuck does Doug Lombardi, still says he's the PR guy when ALL his statements are cryptic or mindbogglingly short. DUDE, MAKE SOME FREAKING RELATION WITH YOUR PUBLIC.

I hope its DotA 2. After playing LoL for so long, I am looking forward to it.

Hopefully any micro-transactions are 100% optional (and preferably cosmetic). I hate it when free-to-play games make you pay for things that are necessary to survive.

MasterSplinter:
How the fuck does Doug Lombardi, still says he's the PR guy when ALL his statements are cryptic or mindbogglingly short. DUDE, MAKE SOME FREAKING RELATION WITH YOUR PUBLIC.

Hey, that's what I like about Valve. Their cryptic mysterious PR gets people hyped and the resulting game hardly ever disappoints.

castlewise:

DX

THAT IS WHAT I WAS GOING TO SAY!

OT: I think Valve has seen the direction the industry is going (see Extra Credits: Consoles are the Next Coin-Ops) thus is trying to join in before it is to late.

Ldude893:

MasterSplinter:

Hey, that's what I like about Valve. Their cryptic mysterious PR gets people hyped and the resulting game hardly ever disappoints.

I used to think like that too, but it's getting ridiculous. It's like they don't feel like the comunity of people that love their games are worthy of knowing stuff. By now to me more than half the times valve says something (or doesn't) it is (sort of) invented on the spot because they don't have shit together until the last few months of development. And that's ok but they don't have to be smug or secretive about it.

Of course that contradicts the theory of endless quality testing we assume they do...

Akalabeth:
One more thing they're working on that isn't HL2E3

Honestly, I think it would make a lot of people feel better if they just what is going on with the game. If they just say they are not making another Half Life for a while, that would be fine with me. At least we will know what is going on.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here