Infinity Ward Founders' Lawsuit Proceeds Against Activision

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Infinity Ward Founders' Lawsuit Proceeds Against Activision

A judge probably just ruined Acitivision's day by ruling that Infinity Ward's founders have some facts to support their claims against the publisher.

The lawsuit that former Infinity Ward head honchos Jason West and Vince Zampella filed against Activision is continuing to progress, slowly but surely. A judge in the case just ruled that there are facts to support the two's claims, which means it's that much closer to receiving a jury trial.

This is the original $34 million lawsuit that was filed back in March 2010, right after West and Zampella were dismissed from Infinity Ward by Activision. Originally, the suit was only focused on dealing with charges about "breach of contracts", but in April 2011 the complaints were addended to include complaints of fraud.

These new fraud claims are based around an Activision contract that stated how, after Call of Duty 4 was completed, West and Zampella would have creative control over future Modern Warfare titles and they'd be furnished with an increased budget. According to West and Zampella, Activision had no intention of following through on these promises and always intended to fire the duo after CoD 4 was finished.

Because the judge ruled that allegations have merit means that, not only will Activision likely have to answer the charges, but that Bobby Kotick might even be called as a witness.

Zampella and West's attorney, Robert Schwartz, was publicly gloating about this decision, even going so far as to say, "This can't be good for Activision. They can't be happy about this."

Of course, Activision has its own $400 million lawsuit against the two men, that is full of allegations about how West and Zampella "hijacked" company assets at the encouragement of publisher Electronic Arts. If, however, the original lawsuit does go to trial, it'll be interesting to see what happens with Activision's suit based on how things proceed.

Source: GamesIndustry.biz

I have no love for Activision. I hope this goes poorly for them.

Wow, this is going to be really hard on activision.

Well this is not goona turn out good for either side the way this is turning out

These two, Activision and infinity ward are like a dysfunctional house hold that result in a murder. Hopefully its Zampella and West. I am so sick of them.

I'm sorry, and maybe I'm an idiot but what does this have to do with Blizzard?

I like how they "hijacked" the series and MW2 still was the top selling game of all time...

Seanfall:

Activision and Vivendi merged a few years ago, creating Activision Blizzard. At least, that's as much as I understand about it.

Signa:

b-but what about Prototype 2?

i've been wanting that game for years!

chances are it may be one of the first projects to get canned if Activision can't afford it D:

Blizzard heres your chance leave with the Wow money and become your own publishers you don't need activision
OT: Activision courrupted blizzard I hope they lose

YEAH, GET SOME ACTIVISION!

I hope this goes bad for them. I have no respect for them.

Now I wonder who's right...

Seanfall:

I don't blame you, the title should really say 'Activision Blizzard' or 'Acti-blizzard' as some people say. Yes they fused into one! Quite some time ago too...

some-brazilian:
I like how they "hijacked" the series and MW2 still was the top selling game of all time...

...until it got beat by Black Ops.

Azaraxzealot:

Signa:

chances are it may be one of the first projects to get canned if Activision can't afford it D:

All the more reason to hate them, because it's projects like that that should be allowed to be made to break the monotony that Activision is capitalizing on.

enzilewulf:
These two, Activision and infinity ward are like a dysfunctional house hold that result in a murder. Hopefully its Zampella and West. I am so sick of them.

I agree. It something new every two months.

Also, where Is you Avatar from? Can't seem to remember.

Dr. wonderful:

enzilewulf:

I agree. It something new every two months.

Also, where Is you Avatar from? Can't seem to remember.

Gundam Seed Destiny! Shin getting hit by Athrun after he fought Kira.

Ugh, just pound these two clowns into the dirt so we can stop hearing about this already Activision. Try to hurt EA as much as possible while you're at it.

Well, all I can say is:

West, Zampella, may the Schwartz be with you.

vxicepickxv:

some-brazilian:

...until it got beat by Black Ops.

which will get beaten inevitably by the next COD, regardless of actual merit.

My thought process was fairly simple on this article.

"But is Blizzard okay?"

That's just where my priorities lie, I'm afraid. God help anyone or anything that causes damage to Diablo 3's production. I don't think the Call of Duty games are bad, but I've never had much love for the army FPS's. Then there's the fact that if you held all three of them (4, MW2, BO) in front of me, I'd be pretty hard pressed to tell you the differences. I've asked my friends that are really into the games and they rarely cite many big examples either.

Also, there is just about nothing more fun than reading about big companies suing eachother because of some of the absolutely stupid crap they lob back and fourth. If you want an example, go look at the Apple vs Amazon over the "appstore" thing, that one's plenty absurdiculous.

Activision: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6KOEMJKdEI

Lol.. just really. This is still going on? It's still a thing? I thought this would all be shut up already with Activision's bags of money. Now watch as it turns out they spend about twice they would if they just opened the sluice of molten gold Kotick bathes in to stop his aging for IW for a second.

I was gonna vent about how if either wins, I lose, because another COD game means another year where I get to be politely informed that I am violently attracted to other men because I don't CAP FAGGOTS on BLOPS, but then I remembered that COD has made it easier than ever to find dejected girlfriends to get to cheat, so, honestly? I hope one company wins, hard, and continues to keep the lowest common denominator distracted while I continue proving to myself that the phrase "but I have a boyfriend" is meaningless.

Azaraxzealot:

Signa:

In every war there are causalities. People who stormed the Omaha beach lost most of their friends, it was a necessary sacrifice. Third Reich had to be stopped. And now... Activision has to be stopped... no matter the costs.

theriddlen:

Azaraxzealot:

Signa:

In every war there are causalities. People who stormed the Omaha beach lost most of their friends, it was a necessary sacrifice. Third Reich had to be stopped. And now... Activision has to be stopped... no matter the costs.

why is activision a great evil? i never understood that...

If Activision lost this case AND fail to earn twice the US's national debt, with Modern Warfare 3, like they did last year....

I'd almost consider, thinking about feeling a little sorry for them.

Deshara:
I was gonna vent about how if either wins, I lose, because another COD game means another year where I get to be politely informed that I am violently attracted to other men because I don't CAP FAGGOTS on BLOPS, but then I remembered that COD has made it easier than ever to find dejected girlfriends to get to cheat, so, honestly? I hope one company wins, hard, and continues to keep the lowest common denominator distracted while I continue proving to myself that the phrase "but I have a boyfriend" is meaningless.

ShitLAD. One of the top 10 rules of being a GoodLAD, never go for a girl who is taken.

OT: Go ex-IW, bored of Activision now.

Fuck activision and fuck EA. theyre as bad as each other.

ELD3RGoD:

Deshara:

ShitLAD. One of the top 10 rules of being a GoodLAD, never go for a girl who is taken.

OT: Go ex-IW, bored of Activision now.

If she cheats, it's not my fault their relationship is such that she'll do that. While a girl cheating doesn't mean her boyfriend is neccessarily doing something wrong, it does mean that there is some major flaw in the relationship, seeing as she is willing to get with another guy. But, all this aside, the simple fact of the matter is, it happens, and I will never feel bad when it does. It is simply not my responsibility to ensure someone else's relationship isn't fucked up. In the end, if a girl cheats on her boyfriend, is it the guy who she cheated with's fault? Or is it the people who were dating that are responsible for that?

OT: I have an odd notion that if Activision takes this case badly, it may cause Blizzard to consolidate their side of the company more, and I think that'd be a good thing. Activision may be an incredibly powerful publisher, but all that aside, I want Blizzard to remain Blizzard.

Azaraxzealot:

why is activision a great evil? i never understood that...

Spoilered are links.

Basically, the CEO of acti-blizz is a guy called Bobby Kotick, and boy is he a dick.

Marudas:
...Then there's the fact that if you held all three of them (4, MW2, BO) in front of me, I'd be pretty hard pressed to tell you the differences.

Well, it's fairly simple. You see, one has a "4" on the box. One of them has a "2" on the box, and one of them is black.

Also, what the hell kind of captcha is "where can you vote for photos to be in a ron howard production?"

I would gladly pay for Pay-per-view if they were to broadcast this trial, just for Kotick to be put on the stand and under oath.

do you still have to swear on the bible because i think kottick will burn up if he touchs it

Even if it's not him being tried, I still want to see Kotick in court.

Yay!
Hopefully things will actually happen now, regardless of how it turns out! I dislike Activision as much as the next guy, but I'm just tired of this stupid mess and would be happy to see it end.

It'll be interesting to see if the trial affects MW3 sales when all the dirty laundry is brought out.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here