EVE Online Players Flip a Lid Over Virtual Clothing

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Slangeveld:
I don't really give a rats ass about the microstore*, but the whole update, ccp's way of handling the anger and several other factors have made me extremely sad over the past few weeks. :( that his whole captain's quarters façade/gimmick isn't optional makes it all the worse.

Edit: * As it is now.

This business about game changing stuff being sold for real life money is already in the game so not sure why this would only now grab so much rage.

Its more the fact that items for AUR are created out of nothing, while at least with plex the ISK and ships came from somewere. EvE has a few strenghts, and the player drivin market is one core aspect, players just dont what to see it chucked out the window.

EVE forums are on fire & it is glorious to behold.

And the lesson is this:
Don't take advantage of a loyal fanbase. Don't let your corporate documents get out in public.

As an EvE Online player, the more I read of this, the more worried I am about putting my money into their game. I have no problem with them selling the equivalent of virtual nothing to consumers (which many companies have done, and seem to be succeeding at it too!) at prices that scream "Why bother?".

If this is true, of their prices being so criminal, then it shows they completely underestimated their player base. They don't have an insight into our wallets. Far from it actually!

I read their response to the rage and fury about the prices.

http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=932&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=update&utm_content=devblog&utm_campaign=eveonline

They refer to the pieces as "clothes". In reality, they're far from them. Not a single item in their catalog will keep you warm. YOU can't wear them, only your non-breathing, cold, digital embodiment can. Last I checked he isn't cold either!

Look at the clothes you are currently wearing in real life. Do you have any specific brands? Did you choose it because it was better quality than a no-name brand?

Yes, I did choose these because they are of better quality. Are you implying that the priced clothes are of better polygons than the original ones? That doesn't mean I'm willing to shell out for them. I buy most of my clothes in sales or using coupons or discounts because it's cheaper for me. The store they have runs a monopoly. There will NEVER be a sale unless they feel generous. Lets take their "military" garb that they sell, more military themed clothes of space warfare. They cost 25 quid each. Now, go to an army surplus store. Get a pair of olive green or forest camo trousers, it's probably only a tenner or less. There's exactly ONE and only one designer making these polygon fleeces despite the game saying otherwise.

Assume for a short while that you are wearing a pair of $1,000 jeans from some exclusive Japanese boutique shop.

Okay when did I win the lottery? When did japanese boutiques open up around me? Could you have chosen a more out-of-touch example? Can I honestly ask anyone in this thread who has even touched a $1000 piece of clothing, let alone being a pair of jeans or from a japanese boutique, or both? Chances are you haven't, and if you have and you're browsing the Escapist, you have no problem with the issue at hand!

Why would you want to wear a pair of $1,000 jeans when you can get perfectly similar jeans for under $50? What do other people think about you when they see you wearing them? For some you will look like the sad culmination of vainness while others will admire you and think you are the coolest thing since sliced bread.

Except when it comes to gaming, quite a lot of people will consider you a complete and utter tosser. I know some of you are going to bring in Team Fortress 2 here, but consider that there are many, many, many ways to find, trade for, or buy hats (some of which can give your character bonuses such as the Scout Milkman set, giving these a practical use (Not even a great one at that as they must be worn as a set with other pieces, stopping them from being must haves unless the play style of the set suits you extremely well)). They have harbored a trading environment in themselves which lets even more casual players join in with the few weapons they pick up in their first couple of hours of play. The problem with EvE, comes from the fact that entering the market that the apparel revolves around is not only costly, but can cost months of work, dedication and time, for the privilege of wearing more stylish polygons. Not only that, but the prices can range into the billions for ISK, which only the elite that own a slice of Null-Sec can afford (supposing they allow the profits to trickle down to the lower echelons of the corporation).

Whichever it is, it is clear that by wearing clothes you are expressing yourself and that the price is one of the many dimensions that clothes possess to do that in addition to style and fit.

But we already express ourselves, moreso in EvE online through play rather than our digital avatar. All of our actions, before digital clothes came into it, decided how people viewed us. Whether we were the people hanging back in Secure space, the ones sleeping to the quiet murmur of mining lasers and drones while our cargo holds started to bulge; or the person who kept a collection of all the biomasses in their hangar. We were who we wanted to be by our actions. We did not dress up like goths to show people we were going to blow them up because, fuck it I hate people! We blew people up because we wanted them to see we weren't to be messed with. The idea that polygons will show others who we are in EvE is a complete fallacy, unless of course you've already subscribed to the greed is good agenda and keep all wealth to yourself while in your Player owned station in Null-sec.

Simply put, it's too expensive for what they want it to do, when we already have a perfectly viable method of showing who we are!

"Fearless

Fearless is one of our company values. It's also the name of an internal newsletter that has been designed and developed specifically to catalyze discussions on controversial topics. One of the biggest elephants in the room these days, not just for EVE but for the gaming industry as a whole, is virtual goods sales and microtransactions.

Therefore we dedicated an entire issue to exactly that topic. It's worth mentioning that the topic of the issue was "Greed is good?" as a way to ask a question that would then be debated back and forth and often exaggerated purposefully to draw contrasts and make points. The result of that is now widely available on the internet.

The opinions and views expressed in Fearless are just that; opinions and views. They are not CCP policy nor are they a reliable source of CCP views as a company. The employees who submitted articles to that newsletter did exactly what they were asked to do, write about theories and opinions from an exaggerated stand.

While it's perfectly fine to disagree and attack CCP over policies or actions we take, we think it's not cool how individuals that work here have been called out and dragged through the mud due to something they wrote in the internal company newsletter. Seriously, these people were doing their jobs and do not deserve the hate and shitstorm being pointed at them."

Read more: http://forum.battleclinic.com/index.php/topic,146153.0/Fearless-virtual-goods-and-rage.html#ixzz1QEuTcwbx

Greed is Good wasn't a new objective, just food for thought. As for the prices, they covered that too, still not too happy about it, but it make ssense. It would alose a lot of its value and prestiege is everybody and their mother owned a monocle. Then hopefully they'll have a much more reasonable price range by the time WiS is fully released/

Pyrosomniac:
As an EvE Online player, the more I read of this, the more worried I am about putting my money into their game. I have no problem with them selling the equivalent of virtual nothing to consumers (which many companies have done, and seem to be succeeding at it too!) at prices that scream "Why bother?".

If this is true, of their prices being so criminal, then it shows they completely underestimated their player base. They don't have an insight into our wallets. Far from it actually!

I read their response to the rage and fury about the prices.

http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=932&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=update&utm_content=devblog&utm_campaign=eveonline

They refer to the pieces as "clothes". In reality, they're far from them. Not a single item in their catalog will keep you warm. YOU can't wear them, only your non-breathing, cold, digital embodiment can. Last I checked he isn't cold either!

Look at the clothes you are currently wearing in real life. Do you have any specific brands? Did you choose it because it was better quality than a no-name brand?

Yes, I did choose these because they are of better quality. Are you implying that the priced clothes are of better polygons than the original ones? That doesn't mean I'm willing to shell out for them. I buy most of my clothes in sales or using coupons or discounts because it's cheaper for me. The store they have runs a monopoly. There will NEVER be a sale unless they feel generous. Lets take their "military" garb that they sell, more military themed clothes of space warfare. They cost 25 quid each. Now, go to an army surplus store. Get a pair of olive green or forest camo trousers, it's probably only a tenner or less. There's exactly ONE and only one designer making these polygon fleeces despite the game saying otherwise.

Assume for a short while that you are wearing a pair of $1,000 jeans from some exclusive Japanese boutique shop.

Okay when did I win the lottery? When did japanese boutiques open up around me? Could you have chosen a more out-of-touch example? Can I honestly ask anyone in this thread who has even touched a $1000 piece of clothing, let alone being a pair of jeans or from a japanese boutique, or both? Chances are you haven't, and if you have and you're browsing the Escapist, you have no problem with the issue at hand!

Why would you want to wear a pair of $1,000 jeans when you can get perfectly similar jeans for under $50? What do other people think about you when they see you wearing them? For some you will look like the sad culmination of vainness while others will admire you and think you are the coolest thing since sliced bread.

Except when it comes to gaming, quite a lot of people will consider you a complete and utter tosser. I know some of you are going to bring in Team Fortress 2 here, but consider that there are many, many, many ways to find, trade for, or buy hats (some of which can give your character bonuses such as the Scout Milkman set, giving these a practical use (Not even a great one at that as they must be worn as a set with other pieces, stopping them from being must haves unless the play style of the set suits you extremely well)). They have harbored a trading environment in themselves which lets even more casual players join in with the few weapons they pick up in their first couple of hours of play. The problem with EvE, comes from the fact that entering the market that the apparel revolves around is not only costly, but can cost months of work, dedication and time, for the privilege of wearing more stylish polygons. Not only that, but the prices can range into the billions for ISK, which only the elite that own a slice of Null-Sec can afford (supposing they allow the profits to trickle down to the lower echelons of the corporation).

Whichever it is, it is clear that by wearing clothes you are expressing yourself and that the price is one of the many dimensions that clothes possess to do that in addition to style and fit.

But we already express ourselves, moreso in EvE online through play rather than our digital avatar. All of our actions, before digital clothes came into it, decided how people viewed us. Whether we were the people hanging back in Secure space, the ones sleeping to the quiet murmur of mining lasers and drones while our cargo holds started to bulge; or the person who kept a collection of all the biomasses in their hangar. We were who we wanted to be by our actions. We did not dress up like goths to show people we were going to blow them up because, fuck it I hate people! We blew people up because we wanted them to see we weren't to be messed with. The idea that polygons will show others who we are in EvE is a complete fallacy, unless of course you've already subscribed to the greed is good agenda and keep all wealth to yourself while in your Player owned station in Null-sec.

Simply put, it's too expensive for what they want it to do, when we already have a perfectly viable method of showing who we are!

Interesting, however I will say that I am less concerned about what we've actually seen in the game (virtual clothing) than about their plans to actually start selling things that have a direct effect on the game itself.

Also, their leaked memo makes me think of the problems I've had with their billing system already, how many games require you to get a GM to cancel recurring billing?

If they simply added a purely cosmetic microtransaction shop to it, I'd just be going "meh" and ignore it. I don't like that kind of thing, but can generally live with it. It's sort of like people paying $10 a pop for static pets in WoW.... whatever floats their boat. That's not all we're seeing here, we're seeing total and complete greed and exploitation from the company... and it's almost comical given how relatively small their player base is.

In the end I really wanted to like this game, but I'm finding it increasingly more difficult to justify playing.

Therumancer:

Interesting, however I will say that I am less concerned about what we've actually seen in the game (virtual clothing) than about their plans to actually start selling things that have a direct effect on the game itself.

Also, their leaked memo makes me think of the problems I've had with their billing system already, how many games require you to get a GM to cancel recurring billing?

If they simply added a purely cosmetic microtransaction shop to it, I'd just be going "meh" and ignore it. I don't like that kind of thing, but can generally live with it. It's sort of like people paying $10 a pop for static pets in WoW.... whatever floats their boat. That's not all we're seeing here, we're seeing total and complete greed and exploitation from the company... and it's almost comical given how relatively small their player base is.

In the end I really wanted to like this game, but I'm finding it increasingly more difficult to justify playing.

I have to admit... I'm heading the same way!

Going back to Guild Wars doesn't sound too bad, so long as I could find a 7 hero build that actually worked for me!

By the way, there are mass protests taking place in the games main trading hubs of Jita and Amarr. Approximately 1500 people in each, just shooting a structure, in protest.

Nice reporting there John. I can only assume you have some kind of an axe to grind with CCP.

Update: Things are rapidly going downhill for CCP. A leaked internal bulletin titled "Greed is Good" indicates that the developer WILL BE extending its microtransactions to less-than-cosmetic items like spaceships and weaponry - things which would provide a tangible in-game advantage.

I suppose saying that they WILL BE doing something attracts more attention than saying they were considering the possibility of doing something.

Internet journalism at its finest.

The only problem I can see here is the gameplay affecting items. I play Eve myself, and I couldn't care less about micro-transactions, but if they start making me suck even more because I didn't give them money, Imma rage.

Soviet Heavy:

Jumplion:
Oh bullshit, the Team Fortress 2 Mann Co. store has had prices like that for cosmetic items, and regular weaponry for months, and yet no news posts or calling outs on that? Pshaw, people, set your priorities straight!

But whatever, that still is pretty ridiculous for a monocle or whatever. There's a limit to microtransactions that developers are testing, though I'm pretty sure $100 for a new red-er glove croses that boundary twice.

So bloody true. Some of the rare hats cost twice as much as the fucking game. And the polycount weapons alone are forty bucks.

Where the hell are you getting $40 from? The most expensive weapon is like £4, unless there's been some massive inflation in the last five minutes, stop making crap up.

zehydra:

9Darksoul6:
So they're angry because they're given the option to spend money on stupid things?

that's sort of my feeling. The level of entitlement by some gamers is absolutely astounding.

Did you two read the whole article? Gamers are pissed about spending $25 on a hat. They don't have to spend money on that. But being able to buy items that will give a player an advantage over another player is stupid. They don't have to spend money on it, but other people will, and it will affect the game. Hats, on the other hand, won't.

McNinja:

zehydra:

9Darksoul6:
So they're angry because they're given the option to spend money on stupid things?

that's sort of my feeling. The level of entitlement by some gamers is absolutely astounding.

Did you two read the whole article? Gamers are pissed about spending $25 on a hat. They don't have to spend money on that. But being able to buy items that will give a player an advantage over another player is stupid. They don't have to spend money on it, but other people will, and it will affect the game. Hats, on the other hand, won't.

Exactly what my other post said. There are other games out there however, (and I have played, which were otherwise good) that are totally f2p and have game-breaking things which are purchasable with real money.

Oh please. Its just another group people whining about how-
> $25 dollars for a shirt
WHAT THE FUCK?! NOW I'M MAD!

Alphakirby:
It's optional people! You don't need to pay a million virtual dollars to dress yourself up if you don't want to! This is like when Team Fortress 2 had purchasable hats for the first time,people flipped out but the sane ones didn't care.
I don't understand the big deal about letting people buy virtual clothing,if it's what they want to do,let them do it,it doesn't hurt your experience and manages to satisfy them.

However, atleast TF2 gave a player a chance to get any given hat without paying a cent. The only way you can become "Borg Picard" as seen in that image only is available for $75, period. You know how many Nerds want to be Borg Picard? I would!

Not G. Ivingname:

Alphakirby:

It's optional people! You don't need to pay a million virtual dollars to dress yourself up if you don't want to! This is like when Team Fortress 2 had purchasable hats for the first time,people flipped out but the sane ones didn't care.
I don't understand the big deal about letting people buy virtual clothing,if it's what they want to do,let them do it,it doesn't hurt your experience and manages to satisfy them.

However, atleast TF2 gave a player a chance to get any given hat without paying a cent. The only way you can become "Borg Picard" as seen in that image only is available for $75, period. You know how many Nerds want to be Borg Picard? I would!

I suppose you have a point there,but if I know EVE like I do (I.E.Whatever it advertises itself to be) The clothing will be like items in Second Life,in other words the money will just be another part of the game's economy only in exchange for clothing instead of more meaningful uses

Soviet Heavy:

Jumplion:
Oh bullshit, the Team Fortress 2 Mann Co. store has had prices like that for cosmetic items, and regular weaponry for months, and yet no news posts or calling outs on that? Pshaw, people, set your priorities straight!

But whatever, that still is pretty ridiculous for a monocle or whatever. There's a limit to microtransactions that developers are testing, though I'm pretty sure $100 for a new red-er glove croses that boundary twice.

So bloody true. Some of the rare hats cost twice as much as the fucking game. And the polycount weapons alone are forty bucks.

Actually...everything costs way more than the game now. Seeing as how it is free.

In other news, charging real money for game changing content has always been a terrible idea. Why does everyone except devs realize this? It's never worked. It's never going to work.

so Eve is trying to kill itself?

because this would be a reason if I was a player to never touch it again.

Clothes i can understand. But clothes worth more than a game or a night full of drinks? And ship weapons is the the dumbest thing i can imagine. If i understand how eve works(i dont play) weapons and ships are vital. I mean a shirt may be worth something like 1:50. They would make alot more than with 25 bucks.

You know, even more f***ed up then all of these players whining about Microtransactions and being able to purchase in-game items is the fact that all of them neglect to recall the fact that CCP has freely released expansions to their game, without any charge to their customers.

as a 2 year player, not daring myself to call veteran yet, i am disgusted with where this is going towards. guess every good thing comes to an end.

Reyalsfeihc:
You know, even more f***ed up then all of these players whining about Microtransactions and being able to purchase in-game items is the fact that all of them neglect to recall the fact that CCP has freely released expansions to their game, without any charge to their customers.

So what? Expansions in mmo must be free. there is no other way around it. and any company that think otherwise is at least stupid. wow we must be so thnakful for them that we actually get something that we should get for paying every month. no wait the last expansion is a big FY to community so we are not getting anything.

Jumplion:

No single item is that expensive, surely? It's just packs of weapons and hats 'n stuff. $80, I mean, I think single "rare" items go up to $30 (cosmetics), but I think it's mostly... packs of weapons, right? I haven't played Team Fortress 2 in a while.

my question is 'so what?'

seriously wait there.. think!

even if you can 'buy' ships, weapons, ammo, tshirts and other crap in eve.. you STILL!! spend 6 years learning all the ruddy books..

what's the problem? all it's doing is generating revenue for ccp that keeps your game going overall it will do nothing to you!!

frankly if you want a real space game, go play star ruler you can design your own ships and texture them how you want then take over the galaxy with them.

Andy of Comix Inc:

Jumplion:

No single item is that expensive, surely? It's just packs of weapons and hats 'n stuff. $80, I mean, I think single "rare" items go up to $30 (cosmetics), but I think it's mostly... packs of weapons, right? I haven't played Team Fortress 2 in a while.

Some hats go for $20, $30, as well as weapons, I believe. It's still ridiculous, no matter how you twist it, though compared to this EVE stuff it is better. Though, not a better we should like...

On the topic of buying things usefull in game for real life money. You had the ability to do that before it was just a bit of a hassle. And it was still legal.

I'll just paste my thoughts which I posted on another forum

I am SICK to death of all the nerdrage to be honest. Until CCP "OFFICIALLY" announce this, until this actually effects MY game and the way I play it, until I actually have to start PAYING MORE to play the game then I will be subbing as will most of you.

CCP are a business, never forget this, and they will charge whatever the public will pay. Do not blame CCP for charging the 70GBP (rough approximation) for a monocle blame the complete retard that is willing to pay 1.3billion isk to get it.

All this nerdrage quite frankly (not just here but other forums etc) is complete utter rubbsh. I reckon less than 1% of those players that have quit or are threatening to quit will remain unsubbed.

Yes, its pricey, ok incarna isn't the be all that everyone wanted, but can we still PVP YES, can we still min YES, can we still mission YES can we still blow shit up, god damn YES. Will any of these "supposed" changes affect your gameplay (other than CQ which is the medium by hich MTs will be accessed) the answer is a resounding NO. Guys quit your ranting, if you are going to leave EVE then do so.

I remember several thousand "hardcore" raiders complaining about game related changes back before burnign crusade was launched, did they quit, some did but most still play the game today.

The majority of mmo's now have MT's, including WOW, STO, LOTRO and EQ, CCP are just late to the party, pricey maybe, but you dont HAVE TO buy anything, no one is forcing you to

This is a little difficult to explain to non-EVE players, but I will try to clarify as best I can.

EVE is different from, say, TF2, because nearly every item, ship and outpost ( player-built station ) is constructed by the players. The manufacturing process is often so complex there are entire flowcharts dedicated to the various "types". For instance:

1. http://eve-online.info/images/process.png
2. http://dl.eve-files.com/media/corp/Luggage/t3prod_flowchart.gif
3. http://www.eveonline.com/bitmaps/img/devblog/boosters.png

Every step and "phase" is nearly always managed by different people. Some mine ore and refine it into minerals, some run space infrastructure and harvest moon resources, some run reactions and turn moon resources into advanced materials, some live in wormhole systems and retrieve valuable components, some manufacture, some take those manufactured materials and manufacture something more advanced, some research and sell blueprints, some people take those different levels of materials and minerals and construct ships and modules, some transport all the abovementioned items between popular market systems, and finally, people buy the ships, equip them with modules and ammo, and lose everything in battle. Such a banal end to such a beautiful and intricate origin story.

Every person in that loooong chain of production is a part of the EVE circle of life. Low-level materials become glorious massive ships and powerful modules, and the entire market is governed by a delicate balance of supply and demand. People who harvest and build create a supply of ships and items. People who fight create a demand for ships and items.

Microtransactions bypass that circle of life.

They come into existence because CCP creates them. No one mined the minerals or moon resources. No one transported the materials. No one built anything. It just is there out of thin air. People who buy MT ships will not buy ships other people created, which lowers demand for those ships, which lowers demand for higher-level materials, which lowers demand for lower-level materials, which lowers demand for all sorts of reactions, which lowers demand for minerals and moon materials, which lowers demand for people to start the circle of life.

Microtransactions for ships and items kills the EVE market with every purchase.

The EVE community is outraged because CCP wants to fuck with the market people have built over the last 8 years. Sure, no one likes the 80 dollar monocles either, but that is a vanity item and does not interfere with the market. Ship skins, clothes, absolutely irrelevant to the circle of life, no materials are needed to create them and no materials are lost when they're destroyed. No player gains or loses anything.

Microtransactions for vanity items is completely OK. Microtransactions for ships and modules is not.

Oh, and sorry for the massive wall of text :)

CCP has a tendency to talk big about what they will deliver. Then falls short. A good example is balancing/nerfing ships. WoW has almost monthy patchs and fixes to classes and player problems. EVE has not had a major rebalance of ships for over 1 year. As such, combat has gotten a little stale. Thus, when CCP starts talking about the LATEST AWESOME release players become bitter and start raging due to previous disapointments.

I play EVE and have 4 accounts and am very disheartened by what I've seen so far. I'll wait to see how this plays out before spitting the dummy and rage quitting lol.

Jumplion:
Some hats go for $20, $30, as well as weapons, I believe. It's still ridiculous, no matter how you twist it, though compared to this EVE stuff it is better. Though, not a better we should like...

The concept is more ridiculous than the practice in this case, I think. As much as I hate the idea that hats are going for $30, it dawns on me regardless than only those so inclined to look a little goofier will be buying it. Or, obsessives. Either which way, since there are very few shop exclusive items, I'm not so fussed about TF2's store. The people who wish to spend money there can, and they leave me alone.

With this EVE thing, I think it's the idea that player advantage can be bought, as many people seem to be saying they're nonplussed but not fussed about the $80 monocle... thing. Same with the TF2 store - and TF2 is barely perpetual, it's a round-based multiplayer shooter, so any advantage is usually circumstantial.

Edit: Point made up higher about microtransactions essentially under-cutting the economy of EVE was something I hadn't fully considered. I'd have to think long and hard on how this would change things in ways PLEX do not. I suspect that the impact would be minimal - who is going to pay CCP prices every time their ship blows up? Combined with the natural price floor of players who are not willing to pay CCP at all, I think that impact would be fairly small.

Reyalsfeihc:

Only their "Expansions" are roughly on level with "Content Patches" from other developers, and true paid-for Expansions truly outstrip what CCP provide. This combined with a higher-than-average monthly fee points out that these "free expansions" are neither truly free, nor truly Expansions (in the traditionally accepted MMO sense).

JIst00:
This isnt the issue at all John.

An internal newsletter was leaked discussing not only vanity items for sale, but new ships, ammo etc etc. Basically GAME CHANGIN stuff.

No one cares about the price of a monacle no one will buy, thi isnt WoW where people buy ponies.

No, EVE you can buy t-shirts for twice the price.

Value!!!!

Ruairi iliffe:

Slangeveld:
I don't really give a rats ass about the microstore*, but the whole update, ccp's way of handling the anger and several other factors have made me extremely sad over the past few weeks. :( that his whole captain's quarters façade/gimmick isn't optional makes it all the worse.

Edit: * As it is now.

This business about game changing stuff being sold for real life money is already in the game so not sure why this would only now grab so much rage.

Its more the fact that items for AUR are created out of nothing, while at least with plex the ISK and ships came from somewere. EvE has a few strenghts, and the player drivin market is one core aspect, players just dont what to see it chucked out the window.

This is true, hadn't thought of it that way. D: Hoping CCP won't do this.

I'm of multiple minds about this first off and most importantly I feel that microtransactions beyond vanity items effectively ruins a game. MMOs are delicate things and introducing the ability to purchase items or privileges that actually have an in game impact for real money is pretty much the quickest way shit all over the spirit of your game. This is the primary reason I despise Free to Play MMOs or games like Farmville. Your failure or success is ultimately directly affected by your willingness to pay or lack thereof. It no longer takes wits or strategy to win, just a healthy amount of disposable income.

Secondly, I feel that a game like EVE Online would be close to the top in terms of games that would absolutely be shattered by microtransactions that give in game advantages. EVE is primarily a game based around a massive economy. It take a great deal of time and dedication to succeed and introducing microtransactions like ships, ammunition, etc would completely devalue the time and hard work invested by many dedicated players. If this goes through I expect it will be to EVE what the "Combat Upgrade" patch was to Star Wars Galaxies. It will cause people to leave in bulk and damage CCP's built up goodwill and trust to a point that it will be unable to fully recover.

Finally, despite how totally and irrefutably wrong this would be there is still something about a game based around greed and screwing over your fellow player introducing something so blatantly designed to fleece their playerbase that strikes me as somewhat comically ironic.

Jumplion:

You're forgetting that TF2 doesn't have an extensive, almost completely player-run economy. These 2 games just cannot be compared at all on this front.

From what I've been explained, the worries are not about these cosmetic items, it's about what they want to do with ships, actual ingame items you can use. You see, pretty much everything that you buy in EVE is player made. If you buy a ship then someone made money of gathering the materials, producing the ship, developing the blueprints, etc etc.

All the things you buy aren't just poofed into existence out of thin air, but that will happen if CCP is going to sell ready-made ships for real money, especially if they're going to be superior ships. Miners, industrialists and businessmen will be massively undercut. For example, think what'll happen with mineral prices when the best ships are bought with real money, ships that don't need to be manufactured.

That's what players are worrying about, sure the prices of these items are outrageous, but that's not where the huge rage comes from. The rage comes from CCP wanting to, basically, unfairly compete with it's own subscribers and undermine it's own game's economy.

And I just joined this game... *sigh*

Cousin_IT:
Once again EVEs out of game drama generates amusement & excitement its actual gameplay never can

I wanted to like it.

Got up to owning a hulk.

But frankly, the gameplay is better suited for the regular human as a single player.

Otherwise its just tedious because everyone around you is an extreme pvp pirate bandit murder fiend.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here