EVE Online Players Flip a Lid Over Virtual Clothing

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Cowabungaa:

Jumplion:
Oh bullshit, the Team Fortress 2 Mann Co. store has had prices like that for cosmetic items, and regular weaponry for months, and yet no news posts or calling outs on that? Pshaw, people, set your priorities straight!

But whatever, that still is pretty ridiculous for a monocle or whatever. There's a limit to microtransactions that developers are testing, though I'm pretty sure $100 for a new red-er glove croses that boundary twice.

You're forgetting that TF2 doesn't have an extensive, almost completely player-run economy. These 2 games just cannot be compared at all on this front.

From what I've been explained, the worries are not about these cosmetic items, it's about what they want to do with ships, actual ingame items you can use. You see, pretty much everything that you buy in EVE is player made. If you buy a ship then someone made money of gathering the materials, producing the ship, developing the blueprints, etc etc.

All the things you buy aren't just poofed into existence out of thin air, but that will happen if CCP is going to sell ready-made ships for real money, especially if they're going to be superior ships. Miners, industrialists and businessmen will be massively undercut. For example, think what'll happen with mineral prices when the best ships are bought with real money, ships that don't need to be manufactured.

That's what players are worrying about, sure the prices of these items are outrageous, but that's not where the huge rage comes from. The rage comes from CCP wanting to, basically, unfairly compete with it's own subscribers and undermine it's own game's economy.

And I just joined this game... *sigh*

Yes yes yes, I get it, it's been explained how the two situations are different a few times now. I don't mind the TF2 store as much as I may show, but it is still a bit ridiculous.

For serious though, the monocle thing may be ridiculous but it's not the reason for the protests. We're angry because:

a) OVER 9000 (maybe even literally) players have asked if CCP will be introducing non-vanity items. CCP has not replied, so we have high confidence that they intend to do just that. We need for this to not happen, hence protests.
b) The complete and utter contempt that CCP, and in particular CEO Himlar, have for eve players, as shown in internal correspondence which has been made public, and the incredibly insulting way that this scandal has been dealt with.

Items c through z are all the other instances of CCP shitting on us over the last oh, say, 18 months.

Why would the developer entitle the memo "Greed is Good" unless they want to be seen as some sort of dark corporate overlord like Ultor or something?

Jumplion:
Yes yes yes, I get it, it's been explained how the two situations are different a few times now. I don't mind the TF2 store as much as I may show, but it is still a bit ridiculous.

Well, at least that store isn't game breaking. But yes some of the item prices are just silly, and the crate system is just pure evil, but overal it works.

So many people missed the point of this and have no idea why the fans are actually angry. I have to admit, it is Escapists fault this time. :D The article focuses in on the silly cosmetic items and not on the real issue..... game changing items for sale for real money which creates an imbalance between the players and rewards those who are willing to BUY their way through the game.

Lets apply that to FPS and TPS games. Imagine if you could buy a one hit one kill handgun for 20 bucks. How about a heat seeking rocket launcher for CoD? It'll only cost you 100 bucks. Ooh! For a grand you can buy a weapon that instantly kills the other team!

If you can't imagine why people are angry about this then you're likely the same type of person they want to milk for money.

EVE will be nearly dead within a year of they move forward with this shady business practice.

Yes you can already buy an advatange in that you can buy ISK and with ISK whatever, this is as opposed to earning i in game.

Say you buy 2bil ISK, buy a big nasty ship, thats cool, because I can still compete by going out and making the ISK myself and buying the same thing.

What CCp seem to be doing is selling ships ammo in the NEX that will only be availiable in the NEX

It is truely disheartening how may people fail to grasp that.

Well I do economics and thought I don't play EVE online at all... I can see this as being a bit of a fucking disaster.

As currency exchange and currency values go as there is a vast increase of demand for these cloths, and lots of money for people to flog around... means that the value of other currencies are deflated...

Anyone want that translating... its bad.

Basically the economy stops building ships and creating new wealth, or Aggregate Demand goes down (bad). In technical terms... EVE online may go through an in-game recession xD

Equally... there may be fewer players if they can't get "free" subscription, but I doubt there would be many if any.

Meh...

The highly-controversial newsletter was a tongue-in-cheek exploratory business strategy. They intentionally exaggerated ideas, and went to the boundaries simply to discuss the matters. All companies do this, and you'd be surprised how unreal, cold and downright evil some of it is.

It doesn't represent their plans for the future, necessarily, and CCP has already stated this as such.

Does this look like a serious, professional business outline to you? Or does it look like a tongue-in-cheek business idea?

Has anyone here read the entire leaked newsletter. If not read the part on page 11 when they use the chlorine in pools to sell goggles analogy. They are planning to soak players for as much as they can by "monetizing social acceptance in online games."

Every time I read that it makes me feel ill.

John Funk:
EVE Online Players Flip a Lid Over Virtual Clothing

Imagine if Oblivion's horse armor had been sold - in space - for more than the price of a real-life horse.

EVE Online's latest free expansion, Incarna, hit PCs everywhere earlier this week boasting a slew of new features and improvements for the space-empire MMO. One other thing it added was the "Captain's Quarters," a prelude to the long-awaited "Walking in Stations" feature that would allow players to get out of their spaceships and actually see their avatar pilots (and those of others) in the proverbial flesh. The Captain's Quarters allowed players to see their characters and customize their appearance, but it was a solitary feature - only you can see your character.

Unfortunately, alongside the Captain's Quarters came something that has the EVE playerbase in an uproar: Developer CCP added a "microtransaction" shop, where players could buy vanity items to kit out their characters' appearances. This isn't a bad thing - almost every MMO does it these days - but these transactions aren't so "micro" after all.

There's an excellent post on RockPaperShotgun summing up how the complex economy of EVE Online has been affected by these items, but here's the skinny: An in-game shirt in EVE Online can go for $25 real-world dollars. That's more than it costs for an actual real-life shirt!

The real offender, though, is the "Looking Glass Ocular Implant," seen here. It's essentially a monocle, and it will set you back $70-80 dollars in real life. That's several months worth of EVE Online subscriptions, or a brand new game on its own.

These prices will eventually stabilize, of course, but for the moment EVE players seem perfectly in the right to be a bit heated about the issue. While paying $25 for a purely cosmetic in-game item is hardly unheard of, it's worth noting that nobody else but the player can see these items (yet). There's no virtual prestige in it, rendering it the sci-fi equivalent of Oblivion's widely-mocked horse armor - for fourteen times the price.

Update: Things are rapidly going downhill for CCP. A leaked internal bulletin titled "Greed is Good" indicates that the developer will be extending its microtransactions to less-than-cosmetic items like spaceships and weaponry - things which would provide a tangible in-game advantage.

An apology from EVE community manager Pann indicated that CCP was aware of the outrage, but that doesn't seem to have calmed players any.

(RPS, thanks for the tip BonsaiK!)

There is also a leaked email from the CEO of CCP staiting
"Currently we are seeing _very predictable feedback_ on what we are doing. Having the perspective of having done this for a decade, I can tell you that this is one of the moments where we look at what our players do and less of what they say. Innovation takes time to set in and the predictable reaction is always to resist change."

this along with the greed is good and a dev blog titled "Fearless" now have about 2000+accounts cancelled and active riots in the 2 major trade hubs

When I started Eve back in 06, The devs were a great bunch that often used suggestions from their playerbase in game. I played off and on for four years over that time CCP changed completely.

New additions to the Dev team often didn't understand how the game was even played outside of the test server and their ham-fisted changes reflected that. The worst of the new additions was Zulupark (now Zulu) who's first devblog outlined a crippling nerf to carriers at a time when some of the most exciting fights were occurring around carriers that got locked down by smaller ships. His proposals didn't get much better from there and they were all defended with the same sort of arrogance you see now.

I left Eve when it was revealed that Zulu had been promoted to lead dev and I haven't regretted my decision. The old CCP is long gone, Eve is just a cash cow now.

The biggest problem with this is that CCP has made almost no official comment on all the player rage, and it's just infuriating that they think we're just cows with wallets.

However, if you're an EVE player or soon-to-be-ex EVE player, check out Perpetuumm it's like EVE 8 years ago when it was still original and had inventive people at the reins.

Thread now has OVER 9000 posts and no response from CCP. We've given up on them caring at all so the thread is mostly emo rage and ponies.

Sober Thal:
You can use in game currency to buy these things, eh? A billion isk may seem like much for a new player, but not for a veteran.

Just sayin.

Actually, a billion isk is a lot any way you look at it. Why buy a shirt when i could buy a carrier, or an entire fleet of ships.

trigz04:

Sober Thal:
You can use in game currency to buy these things, eh? A billion isk may seem like much for a new player, but not for a veteran.

Just sayin.

Actually, a billion isk is a lot any way you look at it. Why buy a shirt when i could buy a carrier, or an entire fleet of ships.

Being able to buy 2 Orcas shows you have some societal status.

Being able to buy these shirts and monocles says the same.

I say make the stuff more expensive if you pay real life money for it. Let them be only for upper tier players who can buy them in game. Then they have some sort of meaning.

Really tho.... how much do your decked out Battleships cost you? My Abaddon is rather expensive with all it's tech 2 plus rigs, and I have (lost) more than one : P

1 billion isk is not a lot to a veteran player. Sure, it sucks if/when they get destroyed.... but that's the fun!!!!!

Sober Thal:

trigz04:

Sober Thal:

Just sayin.

Being able to buy 2 Orcas shows you have some societal status.

Being able to buy these shirts and monocles says the same.

I say make the stuff more expensive if you pay real life money for it. Let them be only for upper tier players who can buy them in game. Then they have some sort of meaning.

Really tho.... how much do your decked out Battleships cost you? My Abaddon is rather expensive with all it's tech 2 plus rigs, and I have (lost) more than one : P

1 billion isk is not a lot to a veteran player. Sure, it sucks if/when they get destroyed.... but that's the fun!!!!!

Or I could just buy one snazzy battleship like a Bhaalgorn or a Machariel, maybe a Rattlesnake...

Bro i think horse armor worth more then horse. I mean like normal full plate armor in medieval times cost like b×ilion pounds. So finely crafted horse armor must be very valuable.

Sorry for my language. Not speaker.

Antari:
Microtransactions and DLC are both Greed. And I refuse to support any company that decides to use them. I haven't been with CCP/Eve since they were unwilling to fix an entirely broken and unbalanced economy that was messed up by Gold Farmers. This latest idea from them, definately won't be increasing the chances of me returning.

All EVE expansions, and the game itself is free... And you can pay your subscription with ISK
But being able to buy ships and things like that for real world money is just a low blow

John Funk:
Unfortunately, alongside the Captain's Quarters came something that has the EVE playerbase in an uproar: Developer CCP added a "microtransaction" shop, where players could buy vanity items to kit out their characters' appearances. This isn't a bad thing - almost every MMO does it these days - but these transactions aren't so "micro" after all.

Yes it is a "bad thing", especially in a game you are paying monthly fees to or bought with a lot of money in the first place, being promised or inferred that you get to play and enjoy all the games content just to find out it isn't quite true later. No matter how you want to put or turn it, for people as customers it is just less content available for more money and also indicates hidden costs.

I'm pretty sure a lot of the EVE players get that whenever something like this comes into play it is just the first drop of snow in an avalanche about to come (a fact that a large portion of MMO players, for instance WoW ones seem to be oblivious to) and it's good that they protest it... they should do it with what hurts the developers most though and cancel their subscriptions.

I've never played EVE over the 2 weeks Free Trial that they gave but I'm happy that for once people don't seem to be acting like consumer sheep and there's no need to downplay this either.

There are ingame protests where they're bombing the shit out of the largest trade hubs, ongoing. Or at least there were.

This is delicious and sad at the same time. Just when I wanted to actually buy EVE and get started playing it seriously, they introduce something like this. I have no problem with microtransactions, but when they make balance-altering content available via out-of-game-transactions only, it destroys my immersion.

No, I am not complaining about injustice here, I'm fine with it, philosophy-wise, but I am an immersion player. I like being able to nearly totally suspend my disbelief and enjoy the game world. Now I can't help thinking "hey, that guy spent 10 bucks on his silly hat."

The entire point here is the vast conspiracy on CCP's part to change the entire game from its original roots.
I am one of the original beta testers during the 2002 / 2003 period and one of the members of one of the largest Alliances when the game finally was released, (HC Dude / Hegmonic Core.)
Having researched and spoken to several of the original game designers I was so into the game concept ..... why ?? .... because frankly they said the game had been in Alpha stage for nearly 5 yrs prior to that point and that they would not even consider releasing it till the game was virtually bug free, unlike many of the half assed games that most American based companies would release upon a unsuspecting customer base with a half finished product and poor support.
We all were told back then this company would always place the needs of the customer base / subscribers FIRST and never place finances as the sole consideration.
For the last 9 years I and many like me stuck with CCP because of the game and that promise and even though the problems of training 2 char of the same acct at same time made purchasing a second necessary, then later the PLEX started to show us that money was beginning to take more importance ....... but we still went along ....... till now.

Now they wish to effectively and dramatically change the face of this game by introducing the (MT) MicroTransaction to this game. Subscriptions OR MT, but CCP seems to want to rape us by keeping both in place ... talk about greed.
The idea WILL be to allow players to BUY not just Vanity items, but eventually ships, weapons and ammo unique to the game thereby giving these players a advantage ...... you cannot just change the way to play a game like this without causing controversy, and it has.

CCP has lied or at least misrepresented themselves to us all for their own greedy purposes. As a businessman myself I undersatnd the premise, but they are way wrong in the way they are handling it.

Back in 2002 CCP was a few geeks with a great deal of talent and imagination added to the abilty to have, design and incorporate cutting edge technology into their dream, EVE Online.
Now this company these past 9+ years has grown to over 600 employees in 4 continents, multiple buildings crammed with server hardware to run this game and investors who want to collect some cash.
The problem is, is that CCP decided to go and start development on a console only game DUST 514 and also WoD - World of Darkness ..... where did the money come from to go in this new direction? Most likely from EVE revenus stream but also from its new investors.
These games were now so importent to CCP, that they decided to gut the people who work on patches and new builds for EVE and transferred them to WoD and Dust 514 ...... this is where the whole idea of MT came from as these games are going to have this type of system in place for its players ...... however money was starting to become a huge issue as loans need to be repaid and the priofitability of EVE has to be protected, (EVE has been profitable each and every year to date.)
The investors need to be able to see that this MT segment of these new games will actually work and needed some assurances that not only would it work, but would it be profitable? So CCP decided that it would force MT onto EVE and its subscribers as a test .... lol, we all know how these tests work out now don't we?
Tranquility Server was never the place for testing, especially a game changer like this.

After the last few days of riots and such from the angry player base, many of us have cancelled our subscriptions in protest, the attitude of CCP is appauling that they say it is we, the more senior players in EVE that are the problem. It is we that see what they are doing and dont like it, but CCP seems willing to lose a percentage of its players so that they can "replace" us with more younger players who dont know any better and can be fleeced of the additional revenue needed to not only run EVE, but fully fund Dust 514 AND WoD till they are able to stand on their own.

As a former beta tester and long loyal customer I will no longer be abused by the greedy charlatan's looking at other ways to pry more money out of me. The last 2 builds were a huge disappointment and now this ..... time to find another game till Battlefield3 comes out this fall ( this game title I have played since BF1942 was in beta and its still going strong and they only charge me one per release, vs the $1200+ I have spent on EVE.)

Perhaps players can go hunting down and destroying CCP owned spaceships?

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here