WarGames Reboot Ready to Start World War III

WarGames Reboot Ready to Start World War III

Shall we play another game?

In the early 1980s, WarGames starred a young Matthew Broderick as a hacker that thought he had gained access to a computer game which was really a U.S. military supercomputer program designed to predict the outcome of a nuclear war. In the film, his tinkering nearly leads to World War III. MGM has announced a modern reboot of the film, with King of Kong director Seth Gordon at the helm.

Gordon told Collider that the reboot still needs a script and a cast, but it should be safe in his hands as a self-professed "hacker fanatic" that knows a lot about cyber crime and cyber warfare. Obviously, it wouldn't be realistic for the new WarGames to focus on a theoretical nuclear war between the U.S. and Russia as the Cold War ended decades ago, so it'll have a different theme.

"I have a real point-of-view on the material and how things have changed," Gordon says. "It's a much more complicated, nuanced, political world we're in, and I think that actually makes for a more interesting plot to tell. Frankly, cyber attack is a lot more real."

In today's climate of cyber attacks occurring everywhere you look, a WarGames reboot could be a very relevant film. Gordon just better find a way to use the original's sweet computer voice again while he's at it.

Source: Collider

"Obviously, it wouldn't be realistic for the new WarGames to focus on a theoretical nuclear war between the U.S. and Russia as the Cold War ended decades ago, so it'll have a different theme."

So it'll be a theoretical nuclear war between the US and China then. Or extremely well equipped terrorists. Equipped by China!

Eh, I'll stick to Defcon thank you very much.

To be fair, WarGames was not an action packed film and because the film audience nowadays have an attention span of a total of 5 seconds, it's going to suck.

One part of me is fearful. I love this film, and it'll be sad if they screw it up.

On the other hand, I'd love it if once, just once, when I ask someone whether they'd like to play a game in a robot voice, they wouldn't think I'm making a saw reference. At this point, I think a reboot may be the only thing that could make that dream possible.

I mean, for goodness sake, people don't even get it when i say the "the only way to win is not to play" quote. Such is the life of the true film fan. To expect 90% of you references to be ignored.

I thought reboots where for franchises? this was a franchise? But i loved that movies. would love love to see it directed by Bay.

In addition to the 1983 original, you also have its direct-to-video sequel, Wargames: The Dead Code, released in 2008 by MGM. In that movie, you had an updated wargame computer named R.I.P.L.E.Y. that follows procedures for tracking terrorist threats for the Department of Defense.

Also, there is Eagle Eye, released in 2008 by Dreamworks, which has the same exact premise in mind: a computer (ARIIA) that tracks terrorist and other criminal activities for the DoD.

So my only question is, do we really need a fourth movie of the same premise?

hotsauceman:
I thought reboots where for franchises? this was a franchise? But i loved that movies. would love love to see it directed by Bay.

Or John Woo. Nothing like a slow motion typing scene.

hotsauceman:
I thought reboots where for franchises? this was a franchise? .

There WAS a sequel to Wargames.

It was pretty stupid.

Corporal Yakob:
"Obviously, it wouldn't be realistic for the new WarGames to focus on a theoretical nuclear war between the U.S. and Russia as the Cold War ended decades ago, so it'll have a different theme."

So it'll be a theoretical nuclear war between the US and China then. Or extremely well equipped terrorists. Equipped by China!

Or it could be North Korea - they have been known to have quite a large stash of Nukes. Or Iran. China and Russia seem a little too well known. It would be interesting to see something else.

Dr. wonderful:

hotsauceman:
I thought reboots where for franchises? this was a franchise? .

There WAS a sequel to Wargames.

It was pretty stupid.

I thought we all agreed that didn't exist. Like the "forth" Indiana Jones movie and Jar Jar Binks surviving unharmed and unpunished for what he wrought.

Anyway, back on topic. If done right, it could be a decent suspense/thriller. But, I don't have much faith in a reboot of this movie to be done well. In truth, I expect it to be Wargames in name only. Not in plot or feel. Which is really sad.

Although rather dated, naturally, Wargames is still a pretty good movie. If you can excuse the glaring error in the final sequence; it is still worth a watch. Wow, I never felt so much like a nerd than I do at this moment.

It will only be worthwhile if they use Glados' voice. It doesn't need to be smothered with Portal references, just Glados.

Captain Placeholder:

Corporal Yakob:

Or it could be North Korea - they have been known to have quite a large stash of Nukes. Or Iran. China and Russia seem a little too well known. It would be interesting to see something else.

I think to mix things up the threatening antaginists should be a militant group of Welsh ultranationalists demanding independance, supported and funded by dissident factions within the Amish community.

It would be a very short and lackluster film but slightly original so thats alright!

Outlaw Torn:
It will only be worthwhile if they use Glados' voice. It doesn't need to be smothered with Portal references, just Glados.

Ooh. That could be brilliant if done right.

Captain Placeholder:

Corporal Yakob:

NK has an estimated "stash" of 6-8 nukes, Iran has none (but is estimated to have its first nuclear weapon ready by 2015).
Hardly the material for a gripping WWIII scenario.

I've always wanted to make a pc mod inspired in the wopr. I hope nobody steals the idea now...

"theoretical nuclear war between the U.S. and Russia as the Cold War ended decades ago, so it'll have a different theme" Go tell that to the COD franchise.

Maybe instead of that old PC "game", he finds a way to play Global Thermonuclearer War on Modern Warfare 2...

That was actually a pretty good movie. A modern remake would look awesome.

Damn, I thought this was a reboot of the PS1 "War Games" game. Got my hopes up.

Oh god would you stop it with the hackers movies, every time they put in a sequence where the hacker is literately surfing the interwebz, ignorant assholes.

RL hacking is horrible tedious shit that noone wants to see, so why the hell would you make a movie about it.

mad825:

To be fair, WarGames was not an action packed film and because the film audience nowadays have an attention span of a total of 5 seconds, it's going to suck.

You pretty much said what had to be said.

What other movie can we remake?

That trailer brought back memories. I just really hope that he doesn't narrow the material down too much, otherwise he could end up isolating a lot of potential viewers

All I ask is that if they make a movie about hackers, please make it accurate. No CSI bullshit.

Low Key:
All I ask is that if they make a movie about hackers, please make it accurate. No CSI bullshit.

think accurate would be tedious as someone said above. Unfortunately (as someone else said above), it all needs to be sensationalised for the modern market to actually care. Its sad....but true.

Cant they just do what they did with ET? Remaster it and put it back in the movies? This film was and still is amazing, doesn't need a reboot, all it needs is a spit shine and it'll look good as new :)

Bags159:
Damn, I thought this was a reboot of the PS1 "War Games" game. Got my hopes up.

Same :/ What a cruel, cruel world we live in.
I really want to play that game now. Need to dig it out.

I'm curious of the Cyber Attack their referring to. If it's "omg, my gigabytes just got hax0r'd," then I'm already filing for Pass. Now, if they mean, "Gran Coulee Damn suddenly ceases production during the winter; millions freeze to death in their own homes." Then it might not be so bad.

I don't care how [/strong]topical[/strong] cyber attack is, Nuclear WW3 is still a very real threat. The subject is different now, is all; China, or some Iranian rouge. The cold war isn't over- just not the same as we knew it 30 years ago. World War 3 would highly likely make use of a WMD somewhere on the globe. No amount of hacking is going to make that worse.

Low Key:

There was one in the 90's called "Takedown." It was a highly dramatized movie about -- actually it doesn't mater what it's about. It was a so-so movie with an iffy cast. It showed how some hacking in that time was handled... dramatized of course.

It sounds like he's making a completely different movie. Why not just make a completely different movie and give it a new name?

Why not have Valve do it? Remake Wargames, but with a twist:The story takes place in Portal universe.

As long as it doesn't star Shia Le Beouf i'll watch it.

A movie is interesting might go see since I'm in to these kind of things.

But can we get Wargames "Game" Reboot before the movie Please?

Leviano:

Low Key:

think accurate would be tedious as someone said above. Unfortunately (as someone else said above), it all needs to be sensationalised for the modern market to actually care. Its sad....but true.

As long as it isn't this bullshit...

...we'll be fine.

Firia:
There was one in the 90's called "Takedown." It was a highly dramatized movie about -- actually it doesn't mater what it's about. It was a so-so movie with an iffy cast. It showed how some hacking in that time was handled... dramatized of course.

I understand it needs to be a little dramatized, but I don't like blatant misinformation. I mean Justin Long using a Mac in that Die Hard movie turned it from an action flick into a comedy.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here