Star Wars Galaxies Falls In Sarlacc Pit

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Star Wars Galaxies Falls In Sarlacc Pit

Come 2012, Star Wars Galaxies will no longer exist.

Sony Online Entertainment and LucasArts have announced that Star Wars Galaxies will be officially shut down at the end of 2011. This marks the end of the game's tumultuous 8 year existence.

On September 15, 2011, both the Star Wars Galaxies MMO and trading card game will be removed from all physical and online retailers. Billing will end on October 15, with refunds for those that have paid for subscriptions beyond that date. For all subscribers in good standing by September 15, Star Wars Galaxies will be free to play until the service shuts down for good on December 15, 2011.

Star Wars Galaxies launched in summer 2003 to much anticipation as the very first MMO set in the Star Wars universe. The game faced a gargantuan amount of controversy two years later in November 2005 when an update called the "New Game Enhancements" majorly simplified Star Wars Galaxies' gameplay and class mechanics (read about it here). The NGE was largely considered a serious blunder, and the game may never have recovered.

SOE is planning a "galaxy-ending event" for Star Wars Galaxies that it says will be partially written by fans. Further details will arrive at a later date. As an extra fan appreciation bonus, Star Wars Galaxies subscribers in good standing will also be able to play other SOE MMOs such as Everquest and DC Universe Online for free from October 15 until the end of 2011.

Star Wars and MMO fans can take solace in the fact that BioWare's Star Wars: The Old Republic will presumably arrive to take Star Wars Galaxies' place sometime in the future.

Alas, HK-47 us puny meatbags will miss you.

This obviously has nothing to do with the fact that TOR is coming out >_> Smooth guys.

Never played the game myself but heard a lot about it (mostly controversy). It sounds like they're handling it well to the people that play it.

Whatever happened to those guys that were planning on running a server for SWG, but a version of the game before NGE? Did that ever come to fruition?

Jinjiro:
Whatever happened to those guys that were planning on running a server for SWG, but a version of the game before NGE? Did that ever come to fruition?

Still being worked on.

Got SWG on steam as part of a bundle. I will activate it on October 14th.

I am still angry about the NGE, after six years of not playing the game because of it. I loved Galaxies before... RIP Galaxies.

Hopefully they won't do that to ToR. Thankfully, that game won't be in Sony's hands.

I can't believe this s#$% is still up.

I guess if there's a single good thing about Sony Online it's that they will keep games up forever as long as they think they can they can get enough subscriptions to pay for the servers and one dude to periodically back them up.

Last I heard Vanguard was still going, but there's nobody left at SOE who can actually change content so you can still get stuck in dungeons you can't take the stairs out of. True?

I'm seriously hoping that Old Republic Online is not going to take until 2012 to be released to be honest, though as time goes on it's seeming more and more likely that this will be the case as annoying as that is.

That said "Star Wars Galaxies" was an ambitious project. I almost feel sorry for it going down. SoE at one time defined the MMORPG with "Everquest" and it doesn't seem they have been able to catch back up with the curve.

Look on the brightside...atleast we still have the EMU (Although i ain't going back to playing it until they get player ships in there...honestly, you have no idea how annoying it is to have to constantly spend money to go from one planet to another.)

never heard of it

Tom Goldman:

Star Wars and MMO fans can take solace in the fact that BioWare's Star Wars: The Old Republic will presumably arrive to take Star Wars Galaxies' place sometime in 2012.

Eh? I thought SW:TOR was coming 2011? Now it's assumed 2012? Oh boy, now I'm smelling a Warhammer Online all over again.

Deathfish15:

Tom Goldman:

Star Wars and MMO fans can take solace in the fact that BioWare's Star Wars: The Old Republic will presumably arrive to take Star Wars Galaxies' place sometime in 2012.

Eh? I thought SW:TOR was coming 2011? Now it's assumed 2012? Oh boy, now I'm smelling a Warhammer Online all over again.

It's still expected for the second half of 2011, calm down.

And yeah, saw this coming. There's no way a company is going to pay for that kind of network infrastructure with a superior, modern game of exactly the same IP on the market.

I remember watching the trailer for that back when I was thinking of buying Battlefront 2. Is it really that old?!

Speaking as a former player (I left soon after Jump to Lightspeed), I say... GOOD RIDDANCE TO BAD RUBBISH!

You mean people still play that??? I thought that had died years ago.
BTW, what was this NGE thing? I've never heard of it before. Was it really that bad? ...wait, considering fan's tendency to blow things waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of proportion, I'll just assume it wasn't.

Oh...that explains why, not two days ago, I re-downloaded and was able to log in to my account without paying.

I just wanted my free veteran stuff. Doesn't matter now of course.

I played this game from release to the Combat Update. The Combat update dropped the game population by 25%, the NGE by over 50. The game was a mess before, but it was OUR mess to make do with, and we did quite nicely, then SoE bungled it beyond imagination.

Truegalaxies.org has been working on a F2P, pre-CU version of SWG, but progress is ridiculously slow, if you're a modder and wanna help, hit them up.

I still have fond memories of being a BH/CH with a Giant Grual pet and a double-sliced, Krayt-LLC. Wrecked everything in PvE, got destroyed by TK/Doc, Combat Medic/Rifleman, and Commandoes that used the OP as shit flamethrowers and Composite armor (OK, I had a set of that too).

God I'm getting nostalgic...

To be honest I heard noting but bad things for it.

The most? You can become a jedi!

Dr. wonderful:
To be honest I heard noting but bad things for it.

The most? You can become a jedi!

That was the result of the NGE. Before it came out, only the absolute highest people could become Jedi. After the NGE, it looked like a proto version of The Old Republic.

I feel bad still from NGE. That ruined the game completely for me and I'm still bitter over it, I tried to give it an honest try, I did... but I just couldn't.

Ravison:
I am still angry about the NGE, after six years of not playing the game because of it. I loved Galaxies before... RIP Galaxies.

Hopefully they won't do that to ToR. Thankfully, that game won't be in Sony's hands.

Ready for the kicker? It was Lucas Arts that was behind NGE.

Want to know why that's good? Because EA is publisher and at most Lucas Arts can restrict what they do with the IP, not how the game is handled. So rejoice for now, but I haven't seen much for myself that gets me excited for Star Wars The Old Republic, my excitement has drastically waned since more information has been released. It's just not turning out into what I thought it would, and while I hoped for something like Star Wars Galaxies I knew it would never happen, but I still saw something in this game that disappeared for me.

It sort of just turned into a Single Player Knights of the Old Republic that you pay monthly to access planets that amount to nothing more than lobbies. Unless I read something wrong or something changed, which I'd like to be true.

canadamus_prime:
BTW, what was this NGE thing? I've never heard of it before. Was it really that bad? ...wait, considering fan's tendency to blow things waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of proportion, I'll just assume it wasn't.

Imagine having the ability to be anything you wanted, a cross of Bounty Hunter and Medic or Entertainer and Smuggler, or hell... A tamer and fashion designer. You could do anything and be anything -- except sometimes Jedi, but that made sense. Then imagine that being taken away from you... then seeing Jedi everywhere. Everywhere.

I played SWG when it first launched and it rocked. Before WoW hit this game had a serious following with great pvp battles and fun quests. Then that horrid BALANCE came into to play and it was like suddenly a million MMO players cried out OMFG and were suddenly silenced as they shut off their monthly payment plans. I will miss my wookie! [sniff]

My June 2007 Escapist article, "Blowing Up Galaxies," describes the "New Game Enhancements" and their catastrophic aftermath.

(See also this Escapist blog post, "Crying Freeman," about how blame for the entire NGE fell on one hapless underling.)

Mr. Grey:

canadamus_prime:

Imagine having the ability to be anything you wanted, a cross of Bounty Hunter and Medic or Entertainer and Smuggler, or hell... A tamer and fashion designer. You could do anything and be anything -- except sometimes Jedi, but that made sense. Then imagine that being taken away from you... then seeing Jedi everywhere. Everywhere.

Considering the afor mentioned tendency to blow things waaaaaaaaay out of proportion, I'm going to assume you're exaggerating a wee bit. Although that still does sound rather shitty.

canadamus_prime:

Mr. Grey:

canadamus_prime:

Considering the afor mentioned tendency to blow things waaaaaaaaay out of proportion, I'm going to assume you're exaggerating a wee bit. Although that still does sound rather shitty.

No, really they fucked the entire game up. That single update, cut their subscriber updates in half, the playerbase never really recovered.

Tom Goldman:

It was as if a million accounts all cried out at once, and were suddenly silenced.

And the Twileks shall dance no more.

Ghengis John:

Tom Goldman:

It was as if a million accounts all cried out at once, and were suddenly silenced.

Oh sweet zombie Jesus, trying out for the spot of Hankman?

On topic: And to think I was considering trying this game...

WaaghPowa:

On topic: And to think I was considering trying this game...

Well you still can. The biggest problem with any mmo (in my opinion of course) is that they never end. SOE has graciously removed that hurdle haven't they? But if you're curious about it you may as well have a look before the new game launches eh? That way if people make comparisons to other games you'll know if they're full of hot air or not. In about a year it will be impossible to get any first hand experience.

WaaghPowa:

Ghengis John:

Tom Goldman:

Oh sweet zombie Jesus, trying out for the spot of Hankman?

I wanted to just make that one line the entire post, but the mods have been riding me for "low content posts" as of late so I felt I had to add a little something extra.

Yeah, like this has nothing to do with the release of TOR. Though, I will say this, the games class system was better (at least pre NGP, when I played on my buddies account) than what I am seeing in TOR. I mean, there will be 90% jedi/sith, which actually already has me annoyed, them being the worst characters in the Star Wars Universe. I mean, you actually had to genuinely work to become some kind of Jedi in SWG.

I'm interested in what way the will end it in game? Will there be a huge event we wave after way of Sith just keep rolling in until there is only a few left& then even those brave few finally fall?

-M

Baresark:
Yeah, like this has nothing to do with the release of TOR. Though, I will say this, the games class system was better (at least pre NGP, when I played on my buddies account) than what I am seeing in TOR. I mean, there will be 90% jedi/sith, which actually already has me annoyed, them being the worst characters in the Star Wars Universe. I mean, you actually had to genuinely work to become some kind of Jedi in SWG.

I personally think it does....

SWG is old....shut that shit down and lets roll out TOR and rake in some fresh cash!

canadamus_prime:

It was a total restructuring of the skill system within the game. It was implimented with the skill of a monkey with a pointy stick attempting brain surgery. Yes people still play it .. but the large majority of them are in Asia. And I can't agree with the OP that Old Republic will replace Galaxies ... nothing can do that.

Used to play that game pre-NGE. After suffering with the update for a bit, I eventually said "Fuck this" and started playing WoW (though I've sworn off MMOs for good now). I really can't believe that the majority of the game's run has been after it was ruined.

And I seriously doubt that the free time in other SOE MMOs is a "fan appreciation bonus.". It seems more like an extended free trial so that they can try to keep SWG players ensnared in one of their other games. Cheeky.

AlternatePFG:

canadamus_prime:

Mr. Grey:

No, really they fucked the entire game up. That single update, cut their subscriber updates in half, the playerbase never really recovered.

Said subscribers consisting primarily of the afor mentioned fans which blow things waaaaaaay out of proportion. Not at all surprised.

I don't care what others say, I played the game for many years and loved it. Was it amazing? Sure as hell not. Was it fun? Yes, yes indeed. I haven't played it in a year now since all my friends on it moved to DDO, and then we slowly left that and are just waiting for TOR. The game wasn't perfect, it made a lot of mistakes (loljedis), but it does not deserve all this hatred.

Even then, half of those who hate it haven't even played it and just want to bash it for the same fact of bashing it, or heard some grumpy old Star Wars player with his Han Solo doll screaming at the top of his Darth Vader voice lungs how much he hates it (Stereotypes against fellow nerds that are the same as me for the win!) because everyone can be whatever they feel like being in the game.

I wonder how the thing will pass, and how much e-rage will be generated on the fools that spent countless USD on that new trading card feature (Fun game for boredom, having to pay for extra packs is NOT fun, though).

As always, flame shields are ready. However, this time I will simply just cloak with my Spy and laugh away as I exit this PvP ground that will ensure towards me after this comment.

Galaxies ended quite a while ago. They're just now getting around to the funeral.

Really, if anyone's curious about the game and what happened to it, just watch Gametrailer's retrospective on it. It's a good watch.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here