Parents Group Denounces Supreme Court Decision

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Parents Group Denounces Supreme Court Decision

The Parents Television Council said that the Supreme Court succumbed to economic pressures from the videogame industry.

Not everyone in America is happy with the Supreme Court's decision to strike down California's proposed law as violating the First Amendment to the Constitution. The Parents Television Council, or PTC, has been protecting children from "sex, violence and profanity on television and in other media" since 1995 and President Tim Winter is outraged that the Supreme Court circumvented its efforts.

"This ruling replaces the authority of parents with the economic interests of the videogame industry. With no fear of any consequence for violating the videogame industry's own age restriction guidelines, retailers can now openly, brazenly sell games with unspeakable violence and adult content even to the youngest of children," Winter said.

PTC claims that the law put forth by Rep. Leland Yee was flawless in its execution, despite even the dissenters in the Supreme Court calling out its vagueness as a problem. "The carefully-worded California statute would not have interfered in any way with the rights of the creators of adult games or the adults who wish to buy them; and in fact, it would not interfere with parents who wanted to purchase such a game for their children. Rather, the measure only would have prevented an unaccompanied minor child from buying or renting the product."

Winter seemed to ignore any of the arguments put forth by both the game industry's lawyers and the Justices, using language that seems to demonize game publishers as corrupters of our youth. "Countless independent studies confirm what most parents instinctively know to be true: Repeated exposure to violent videogames has a harmful and long-term effect on children. Despite these troubling findings, videogame manufacturers have fought tooth and nail for the 'right' to line their pockets at the expense of America's children. Today, the Supreme Court sided with them and against parents."

The facts cited by Winter appear to be at odds with reality by stating that the ESRB is not enforced by retailers, saying, "We call on the Entertainment Merchants Association to redouble its efforts for increased enforcement of the industry's age-based vending restrictions. The Federal Trade Commission and the PTC's own 'Secret Shopper' campaigns have routinely demonstrated an abysmal failure rate for videogame retailers to uphold the industry's own age-based restrictions."

In fact, the FTC found that the ESRB system is one of the most successful ratings systems, compared to other major media.

Parent more, cry less? I think applies in this situation?

Greg Tito:
Countless independent studies confirm what most parents instinctively know to be true: Repeated exposure to violent videogames has a harmful and long-term effect on children.

Really? Some studies agree with your admitted starting opinion? Bias much?

"This ruling replaces the authority of parents with the economic interests of the videogame industry. With no fear of any consequence for violating the videogame industry's own age restriction guidelines, retailers can now openly, brazenly sell games with unspeakable violence and adult content even to the youngest of children," Winter said.

How the hell does this replace the authority of parents? You still have control over what your kids can and cannot play. Take some fucking responsibility for your kids and BE A PARENT.

In all seriousness, I find it ironic that they are saying "The government has taken awawy the parent's power to buy their games!" When the entire point of the law was for the government to be able to decide what games kids can and can't buy. So in reality, their argument is "PARENTS have to do the parenting? That's the government's job!"

In other news, the Parent Television Council continues to shout and scream for attention while being the most inappropriately named group in the world.

If you haven't seen these people before, let me give you the short of it. They want the government to regulate all media and tell people what they are allowed and not allowed to view, while claiming to be concerned parents. Its basically what if Lazy Parents got up and did something, but instead of parenting their kids, tried to force congress to do it for them.

Shake this off, these guys are West Boro Baptist Church Level Laughable.

Drummie666:
How the hell does this replace the authority of parents? You still have control over what your kids can and cannot play. Take some fucking responsibility for your kids and BE A PARENT.

"Can I have 40 bucks, mother?" "What for? It had better not be violent video games!" "Uh... marijuana?" "That's my boy!"

Wait.....what?

Where in this game does it say that if a parent says "No I'm not going to buy that for you" that a game store can go "It's ok, we'll sell it to you anyways!"

Something tells me these guys don't get what the bill was about. They still wont sell to your kids without ID or your consent.

You can sum up their entire "argument" with "We don't want to be RESPONSIBLE parents."

Drummie666:

Also it doesnt TAKE AWAY shit. Since everything stay the same as it is now...So there so loss of anything.

Boo hoo we lost wahhh. If don't want kids playing violent video games do your job and be a responsible parent. Yea sometimes game retailers drop the ball. No matter how much you try to regulate things there will always be around.

THEN FUCKING WATCH WHAT YOUR KIDS PLAY, ASSHOLE!

Excuse me, couldn't help myself.

Really, these parents need to shutup. No one replaced the parents' authority to watch what their kids played.

Wow, I really didn't see this comming a mile off... Who'd have thought it the supreme court rules in favour of games as art and some people still think thay corrupt kids!

Just admit defeat already!

Love how they call in a conspiracy theory just so they can keep on trying to ban games.
imagine what life would be if your mother/father was part of that group *shivers*.

Repeated exposure to violent videogames has a harmful and long-term effect on children

Because as we all know there was no violence before video games existed.
The older generations have been declaring the young violent and lawless since at least ancient Rome, and probably before. Change the record.

With no fear of any consequence for violating the videogame industry's own age restriction guidelines, retailers can now openly, brazenly sell games with unspeakable violence and adult content even to the youngest of children

Even if games stores were letting younger childen buy higher rated games, maybe you, as the parent could, oh I don't know, take it away from them? Not give them the means to buy it in the first place? Take some responsibility instead of declaring all your problems somebody else's fault?

How hard is it that you can't watch the damn kids!?

MORE POWER TO YOU!

Um...time to start actually parrenting yourselves? Or something?

hey parents, how about ACT LIKE A PARENT AND STOP RELYING ON THE COURTS TO DO IT FOR YOU!!!
if you think your kid has a problem, act like a responsible parent and lay some law down....with a belt if need be!

what my parents did and i turned out great and going to college in the fall. AND i play games.

Jeez, you'd think that these people would have learned that it's the parent's job to look after kids and make sure they don't end up finding Lemon Party on Google.
But no, they want the government to do it for them. They're less parents and more "people who happen to have children living in the same house as them".

I think this group would be better suited teaching parents how to parent, rather than hope the government will do it for them.

Parents need to educate themselves, if you see your child playing a game that you don't think they should be, read up on it, play it yourself, then make an educated decision on if your child should be playing that game.

also, just because the court says they can sell video games to younger kids....doesnt mean they dont have a store policy saying they wont.

after all gamestop requires a guardians permission for games that are not age appropriate for younger kids.

It's funny how these parents seem to have plenty of time to complain and campaign against games, but none to actually y'know, be decent parents to their children by paying attention to them and the things that they're playing.

Really why do they have to try ruin all the fun for everyone because they think it sucks, damn, just look at what your kids are playing then if it worries you.

Drummie666:

My thoughts exactly.
I personally don't know any CHILD who has 70$ to put on a game. If the parents can't be arsed to take an interest in what their child does, it's their problem, not the EVIL games industry's.

Mr. Omega:

In all seriousness, I find it ironic that they are saying "The government has taken awawy the parent's power to buy their games!" When the entire point of the law was for the government to be able to decide what games kids can and can't buy. So in reality, their argument is "PARENTS have to do the parenting? That's the government's job!"

Bravo my good sir, I gotta remind myself to send you more 'Umad" pictures later.

But what you said was right.

Parents needs to act like g*ddamn parents. They could of built parent teaching programs but nooooooooooo.

Go ahead and denounce it all you want; your voice isn't Law and your propaganda is still based on an incredibly weak argument.

I might be a little biased, but I disagree with the PTC. They seem like they want the Government to take the role of the parent. As opposed to the actual parent, of course.

Drummie666:

Well, I was gonna make a post quoting that, but you've summed up my feelings on the matter pretty well.

If you need the law to keep your kids from getting their hands on video games that you don't approve of there's only a couple of reasons I can think of.

1) Your kids get them from their friends and you can't stop them. (Ie, take the goddamn games away.)

2) You buy their games without bothering to read what the hell you're buying.

3) Your spouse is doing #2, and you don't try to stop them.

All three of those point to: Stop being an irresponsible adult and lay down the law with your kids, if you can't then you have no business being a parent. Take some responsibility for what you allow and shut the hell up about this crap already.

Greg Tito:

Alright, Ted. Fair enough. Or, and this is just a thought, you and the other members of the PTC can act like fucking parents!

Jesus Christ, people, I don't see why this is such a hard concept for some of these folks to grasp. You are a parent, and the only person accountable for what your child is exposed to is you. Not the games industry, not the government, you. You wouldn't take your seven-year-old to the midnight screening of the new Saw movie that they're probably going to release at Halloween this year out of common fucking sense, so why don't you apply that same principle to not buying the little guy a copy of Black Ops so he learn six dozen new racial slurs online that he's able to share with everyone at school the next day?

I'm sorry, guys, but I got tired of this nonsense and idiocy long ago. This jackassery is what lead to Schwarzenegger waltzing up to the Supreme Court with this proposal in the first damn place. Video games are not "toys", their a media on par with television and movies, and in line with that not all games are appropriate for small children. Why some people can't seem to wrap their feeble, atrophied minds around that very simple concept is just beyond me.

a) i feel like this will be the most quoted statement in the thread.

b) it's store policy that if, for whatever reason, you're not completely satisfied, i hate you.

it's time to man up, america.

God dammit! Why cant we just win one!?

It sounds more like the lazy parents group to me. They want the government to regulate everything for them so that they don't have to do any parenting.

Sorry PTC but your flawlessly executed law just suffered a fatality.

believer258:

THEN FUCKING WATCH WHAT YOUR KIDS PLAY, ASSHOLE!

Excuse me, couldn't help myself.

Really, these parents need to shutup. No one replaced the parents' authority to watch what their kids played.

THANK YOU!!! You're parents for crying out loud. Don't expect others to raise your childeren.

The parents can suck it. Supreme court>you. Thanks and play again.

Completely unsurprising from these dime-a-dozen groups.

Something is telling me I've heard the name of this "group" before as well... and not in a good way either... then again I might just be confusing them with all the other groups who claim to be "concerned parents", since that is the #1 most cliched reason used when they make one.

If you were so fucking concerned about your kids, then you'd actually be doing your job as a parent, and not stand around bitching at everyone and likely neglecting what kids you do have in the process. Then again, I'm telling these people to actually do their jobs as a parent, and we all know how many people hate having to do those jobs and would rather have the media industry take care of everything for them.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here