WoW Goes Free Forever (Except Not)

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

WoW Goes Free Forever (Except Not)

Blizzard has revamped the WoW trial account system to let gamers play for free as long as they want.

If you're one of the people who has always been curious about Blizzard's digital crack cocaine World of Warcraft but never quite taken the plunge, you might have looked at the game's Trial Accounts and found that they just weren't good enough. Oh sure, you can play for free, but you can only play for 14 days - and in a world as big as Azeroth, how can you see anything in just 14 days?

Apparently, Blizzard agrees. Today, the Irvine, CA-based developer announced that it would be changing its free trial system to let players play as often as they want, for as long as they want, on as many characters as they want. The normal trial restrictions are still in place, of course: You can't go above level 20, and your ability to send in-game messages and use the in-game auction house is restricted (just in case, y'know, you're a gold farmer).

Still, being able to play up to level 20 on as many characters you want is a pretty good deal, especially since the newbie zones are arguably some of the game's best content following the Cataclysm expansion pack. Hell, you could stop at level 19, twink yourself out, and engage in low-level PvP for free as long as you wanted.

Between this and the free copy for a friend, it's interesting to see how Blizzard is reacting to faltering subscription numbers. That the game is still going strong after six years is kind of incredible, but there's serious competition on the horizon in the form of The Old Republic.

This could be the first step in a completely free-to-play WoW, which would almost certainly be obscenely successful. I'd say that WoW is following in the footsteps of TF2, but it doesn't have nearly enough hats for that. Yet.

(Blizzard, via PC Gamer)

Hmm, interesting.

I might get the trial when it comes free to play, as one of the things I wanted to do in Cata was twink a Worgen or two. Other than that, they'll need to make the game fun again for me to justify paying 100 a year for subscriptions when I haven't got a job.

And for roleplayers, having the game at all is half the experience.

Good GOD, they've made Goldshire even scarier.

Anyone who doubts that this will only increase Blizzard's profits is more naive than that chick I picked up when walking past a special education middle school.

Good job blizz, I hope this hastens the death of the subscription model. Just introduce microransactions and be done with it.

Stick this on Steam and it'll be downloading in ten minutes!

Oh crap. I might actually be compelled to play WoW now. Why did you do this to me, Blizzard! I've been so good at resisting!

Cool.

I'll try all the classes, THEN SUB. Maybe.

I only got to roll a Gnome Mage in my 14 days.

Good to hear. Not that I plan on playing again but my actual account was done and finished 6+ months ago I would like to check up on old friends in game to see whats what (even if communication is limited via trial accounts).

Erana:

I don't even want to imagine...
Both
1) The sheer amount of horror that will be flooding that poor... poor tiny 3-building Town... is it 3? I think 3 might be a little high...
and
2) Who downloads the bloody giant WoW client, just to visit Scumshire on an RP server?

Between this and them raising the refer-a-friend XP from level 60 to level 80, they're definitely making a big push. I wish they'd do something for us six year veterans rather than just handing out Vanilla WoW keys.

Oh shit. Humanity is really fucked now. We're all going to turn into digital crackheads.

Seriously, there'll be so many more people who will now become woW addicts and who later wish they never were.

Isn't the max level in WoW somewhere close to 80? Because if so then only being able to level to 20 seems like a poor deal when compared to Anarchy Online's (admitedly not the most famous competitor, but it's the one I play) level 200 out of 220 while on a free account.

Erana:

Moon Guard bro, Moon Guard, I have a friend who plays there on Alliance and the stories I have heard....... >_>

Looks like I'll finally be giving WoW a chance...look forward to seeing what the big deal is/was.

Wow, seems like Valve set a trend in motion.

I've always been interested in trying this game out, maybe I will get the trial when I get a new computer.

This seems like a pretty smart idea.
Not enough to make subscribers go free-to-play, but a much more significant demo for prospective players than what was previously available.

Just downloaded WoW on trial a few days ago, now I feel even less pressed to try it! ^.^

awesome news, i can now get a bunch of my friends on my wow crack, mwa ha ha ha

i've tried wow, it's horrible, nothing but a worthless grind.

Why on earth would I want to play it? nothing has changed, nothing will.

This is good for those wanting to make a trial account to play game plus for RP related alts if the ten character slots are already filed. I hope blizzard doesn't try to abandon subscriptions for equally flawed micro transaction system like someone above said. The only issue with trial accounts though is last I head they can't send whispers only reply and that is a big deal. Especially if some people use this to rejoin game but end up not being able to whisper any friends if they have no other way of contacting them with /say or /yell.

Dunno after all this time Wow has been around even the "shy of the curious" have tried it. Even those that didn't wanted to pay for it have played it to death since there are hundreds of private servers. So I guess they do this just to prolongue it since last I heard they lost around 1 milion active players only to Rift(can't remember where I read this). Also the power of Wow was that people didn't wanted to start again in another game but today there is no reason to play Wow since there are better MMOs out there(not making names just because each have their taste).

DoctorPhil:
Oh shit. Humanity is really fucked now. We're all going to turn into digital crackheads.

Seriously, there'll be so many more people who will now become woW addicts and who later wish they never were.

Except, you know, people with taste.

cursedseishi:

Erana:

I don't even want to imagine...
Both
1) The sheer amount of horror that will be flooding that poor... poor tiny 3-building Town... is it 3? I think 3 might be a little high...
and
2) Who downloads the bloody giant WoW client, just to visit Scumshire on an RP server?

I think it's two... Inn and Blacksmith (Is that called a Smithy?).

OT: Hey, I actually wanted to do that. But then I didn't. So I didn't.

Yay...

How am I supposed to take WoW seriously when sentences like "I made my character a twink" are both commonplace and said without irony?

I think WoW is going to be forced to go free soon enough, I believe one of the higher ups in Blizzard actually once said that if he market changed enough and they got good competition they would likely go free to play.

In the next couple of years the game is going to be bombarded from several different directions by new and decent looking MMOs, I actually didn't even realise how many until a few days ago.

Incoming MMOs:

Star Wars: The Old Republic
Guild Wars 2
Archeage (this one looks very interesting, still not certain about it yet but definitely something i'll be keeping an eye on)
TERA

And of course Rift is already here and doing fairly well for itself.

...Neat! Might try and dominate the level 20 scene. :)

Ickorus:
I think WoW is going to be forced to go free soon enough, I believe one of the higher ups in Blizzard actually once said that if he market changed enough and they got good competition they would likely go free to play.

In the next couple of years the game is going to be bombarded from several different directions by new and decent looking MMOs, I actually didn't even realise how many until a few days ago.

Incoming MMOs:

Guild Wars 2
Archeage (this one looks very interesting, still not certain about it yet but definitely something i'll be keeping an eye on)
TERA

Gotta remember Blizzard's project Titan, their new MMO in the works. If Titan ends up popular enough, they can make WoW free and still make money. If Titan tanks... WoW can easily make up for that.

It's a win-win situation.

You forgot to mention GW2 in the article. Its quite possibly a much bigger competitor than TOR. Yes, TOR is going to have a billion SW fanboys playing it for a while, but from what I've seen its gameplay is just more of the same.
GW2 however has a fresh take on the genre, and it doesn't even require a sub to play it.

Get to Level 20

Realize because you dont own Wrath you have no BoA Gear

Be Assraped in PvPz
or
Realize Everyone is an Elitest Dbag

Leave This God Damn Game

Find Something Fun to Do

F2P:
(coming soon) Fallen Earth
(coming soon) City of Heroes
Lord of the Rings Online
Etc

Feriluce:
You forgot to mention GW2 in the article. Its quite possibly a much bigger competitor than TOR. Yes, TOR is going to have a billion SW fanboys playing it for a while, but from what I've seen its gameplay is just more of the same.
GW2 however has a fresh take on the genre, and it doesn't even require a sub to play it.

I think since SWG is closing and the SW fans will move their....realize its not a sandbox style game...and that its basically World of Star Wars....that it will take a blow...

GW2 seems like it could very well take a lot of the cake in the aftermath of the TOR

Will GW2 be Free2Play?

I would assume so....but things change

I WAS FREE! I WAS FREE YOU IMBECILES! I HAVEN'T PLAYED THE GAME SINCE JANUARY AND NOW I CAN GET TO 20 FOR FREE? NOOOOO!

(cries)

Alright... I'll start up my account again.

Wow Blizzard is getting desperate doue to so many people nto playing anymore. But it seems to be working.

Ickorus:

Incoming MMOs:

Guild Wars 2
TERA

I doubt it'll go F2P soon, although they'd probably make more money by doing so.

About 8 million of their subscribers are from China which still hasn't gotten the 3rd expansion yet.

The 3 million NA players are a chunk but certainly not the bulk. I think WoW will just slowly deteoriate then stabilize.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here